Shadows of the Sword Coast (Forgotten Realms 3.5)

Started by Nicolae, October 19, 2013, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

godfang

I'd like to make a human tatooed monk if allowed (from complete warrior). I see him as an assasin of sorts, sent to kill necromancers. My question is: a tatooed monk stops aging if he takes one of the tatoos available, which means he gains age bonus without age penalties (though he still dies if his time is up), how old can he be for the purposes of the bonus? I was thinking he's well over his 60s, though he'll look ridiculously in shape and youthful.

Re Z L

Quote from: godfang on October 22, 2013, 07:25:25 PM
I'd like to make a human tatooed monk if allowed (from complete warrior). I see him as an assasin of sorts, sent to kill necromancers. My question is: a tatooed monk stops aging if he takes one of the tatoos available, which means he gains age bonus without age penalties (though he still dies if his time is up), how old can he be for the purposes of the bonus? I was thinking he's well over his 60s, though he'll look ridiculously in shape and youthful.

Old tattooed monk you say...

A&A

godfang

Quote from: Re Z L on October 22, 2013, 07:28:59 PM
Old tattooed monk you say...

That would have been a perfect picture if it wasn't an elf! That old guy is jacked :P  he also has that old grumpy feel ('back in my days, the ghouls were TWICE as big!' )I also have the tatoo that gives me alter self, because, you know, cant assasinate evil mages without disguises. I hope this character is allowed, i really like the feel

Countdown0

Wouldn't a 60 year old monk with the un-aging tattoos be higher than level 8?
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

EroticFantasyAuthor

Character sheet will hopefully be updated/transferred later on today.

Might need some help identifying waterdeep specific background/regional feats, about to look through the link now(thank you btw, very helpful!).

godfang

oops, you're right. That's obtained after the third tatoo. Well maybe he's not that old yet then, but the concept remains simmilar.

Florence

Quote from: Countdown0 on October 22, 2013, 07:40:20 PM
Wouldn't a 60 year old monk with the un-aging tattoos be higher than level 8?

Well, my druid would probably be too, but... ya know, gameplay balance, that's how it works.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Nicolae

@godfang: That will work for me, although I don't think he could reasonably be older than Middle Aged at level 8 (and still be a monk that's worth a damn).

@EroticFantasyAuthor: Waterdeep-specific regional feats are Artist, Cosmopolitan, Education, Smooth Talk, Thug, and Twin Sword Style.
O/O   Ideas

Countdown0

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on October 22, 2013, 07:46:54 PM
Well, my druid would probably be too, but... ya know, gameplay balance, that's how it works.

Your character is an elf though. She would have taken a lot longer to reach physical maturity than any human character (decades longer, if not a century), and elves are generally in less of a rush than humans to do things since they live for so long, so its reasonable that a human of lesser age would have the same level, in an ooc perspective, as an elf. Hell, most humans will be dead of old age before an elf reaches adulthood. You can very well go out into the woods as a druid when you're an adolescent.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Florence

Quote from: Countdown0 on October 22, 2013, 08:21:05 PM
Your character is an elf though. She would have taken a lot longer to reach physical maturity than any human character (decades longer, if not a century), and elves are generally in less of a rush than humans to do things since they live for so long, so its reasonable that a human of lesser age would have the same level, in an ooc perspective, as an elf. Hell, most humans will be dead of old age before an elf reaches adulthood. You can very well go out into the woods as a druid when you're an adolescent.

Yes, but she's still old even for an elf. She reached maturity and adulthood a LOOOOOOONG time ago. I haven't worked out her exact age, but she's at least 200, give or take a decade. She's middle-aged for an elf.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Calrond on October 22, 2013, 08:11:24 PM
@godfang: That will work for me, although I don't think he could reasonably be older than Middle Aged at level 8 (and still be a monk that's worth a damn).

@EroticFantasyAuthor: Waterdeep-specific regional feats are Artist, Cosmopolitan, Education, Smooth Talk, Thug, and Twin Sword Style.

Thank you, I will check them all out.

Quote from: Countdown0 on October 22, 2013, 08:21:05 PM

Actually according to Race of the Wild, Elves reach physical maturity/are fully matured by age 20, it's just that most elves don't feel ready to adventure until after their first century

Edit: It's on page 13 if you're interested.

Nicolae

@EroticFantasyAuthor: The way I've always played the elf maturity thing is that they're mentally "mature" by human standards around age 20 (whereas humans would be earlier depending on the culture and how much you have to learn to be able to have a family/home of your own in that culture), but human "maturity" is a drop in the bucket compared to what elves themselves consider to be "maturity". It plays easily into the "Elves Are A Little Racist" theme, since they would see almost all other cultures as rarely living long enough to mature past what they'd consider mental "adolescence" by elf standards.
O/O   Ideas

Blinkin

I got tired of asking people if anyone wanted to create backstory; no one ever did. *sighs dramatically*

Howver, if Wren makes it into the game, I'll put the offer out again for creating some backstory just for flavor.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Always happy to create backstory with other characters.

Sim has pretty much remained in Waterdeep for most of her life however and has probably only made short trips to it's surrounding lands in the course of investigations.

Batman4560

Any word on what characters have been approved?

Nicolae

So far, both completed characters (at the bottom of my second post on page 1) can be considered approved.
O/O   Ideas

Batman4560

What am I missing on my sheet? Or what needs to change?

Nicolae

Have you given me a detailed description of your character's backstory, personality, and relationships, mentors, etc. yet?
O/O   Ideas

Batman4560

I added all that into my sheet that is posted up on the page before this.

ChaoticSky

My sheet is at the WIP stage, will probably get it done tomorrow and then the bio, do we have a deadline in mind?

Sharessi Paladin  ;D

Nicolae

@Batman: Can you elaborate more about his family, any relationships he may have had at the school (and the type of partner he looks for), the years he spent there before graduating, his fellow guards, and some more details about the years he's spent after graduating? It's a good backstory, I just want it to be more detailed. If you could get it about 3x as long as it is now, it should be detailed enough to be finished.

@Darkling: Good to hear.
O/O   Ideas

Ixy

Alyx Sosti
Description:
Alyx is a fair-haired, amber-skinned woman of mixed northern ancestry and no last name.  She is extremely beautiful and charming, with a melodic voice and genuinely admirable, balletic movement in every step.  She draws the eye and ear in nearly any situation, and-- in true Sune fashion-- seems to do so without the slightest effort.  Her demeanor and her gaze betrays years not reflected in her eyes, and she is often mistaken for a much younger woman than she is.

She is, at her best, kind, generous, emotional, graceful, alluring, bold.  At her worst, she is deeply scarred emotionally- a fact that she accepts, despite the damage it does to relationships she fosters, and hopes that she can be accepted despite her need for vacillating neediness and desire for solitude.  She wants others there when she wants them.  She wants them gone when she doesn't.  She adores two deities in a way that is extreme and, perhaps, unhealthy.. leaving her haunted, uncertain in her purpose, and at times conflicted or lacking assurance as she is manipulated by two gods of vastly different philosophies.

Originating in Waterdeep, a child Alyx was traded by her abusive father to pay a very steep gambling debt-- the price must have been high indeed, because she was already the sole caretaker for her brothers and sisters at age 12.  She endured further abuse at the hands of her captors in Skullport, but was rescued by a band of adventurers passing through that infested territory and released into the custody of the church of Lathander.  She hoped to achieve her god's grace, but was chosen instead by the benevolence of Sune to carry out her will; when lady Firehair appeared, Alyx was surprised because she believed herself to be wretched and purile inside, and thought she could only hope to atone for her violent and bitter desires for vengeance.  Somehow, Sune sought to recapture her inner light, and saw something in the purity of her spite that was worth resurrecting and capturing.  At the first opportunity she had, she registered to perform 'Non-targeted Missionary Work,' meaning that she would fall in with a band of adventurers and do her best to keep them on the right path.  The church dispatches her, not questioning her affinity with the god of the Sun and Time, to deal with any undead threats.  As such, she remains on exceptional terms with the city watch and, to some, is considered a hero of rising reputation-- those rumors of her whoring in private salons must, of course, be rumor only.

Alyx bears a great deal of resentment for her early life's hardships, and she still suffers from nightmares and, at unfortunate times, sudden impulsive images and flashes of memory to early abuse.  The affects of these memories are... unpredictable.  She is confused by Sune's acceptance of her, even more so by the tenet that "Beauty Comes from Within" because, though she is lovely outside, inside she feels vile and bitter.  She tends to enjoy flaunting order and punishing the wicked, not out of righteousness but out of selfish vengeance.  In spite of her incendiary personal drive, her devotion to At'ar lingers at the periphery of her being, urging acceptance, order, and steadiness... she believes that, early in her time at the temple, she was visited by At'ar and he either blessed her as his child, or made love to her in mortal form, making her a vessel of his rebirth in some fashion beyond mortal understanding.  Strange, that, but her adoration of the sun has never failed, for what is the moon's light but a reflection of a sun past the horizon?

She is erotically attracted to cold, unfeeling beings, such as extraplanars and hardened, jaded types, despite having a desire for camaraderie with her allies and, often, expecting physical intimacy at will.  Her teachers at the temple of At'ar are a lifemated couple of priests, Galash and Ikisar-- these two men often call her 'daughter' and, in the most sincere expression of love she knows, accept her insecurities and invite her into their home, encouraging her, listening to her fears and confessions, and advising her on the natural progression of order that is preordained before men are born.  Anything goes with them... they seem to understand her better than anyone, and they have aided her by punishing her for her self-destructive attempts to ruin her place in the order (lashing out against authority, refusing quests, etc).  They have even understood the twisted touch of Sune's overwhelming power over her-- a mind and lust tainted, perhaps, by a more sinister goddess' attempt to corrupt her-- and accept her into their bed often.

Her father still lives somewhere in the realm, and she seeks vengeance against him-- a less than noble desire-- for his having prostituted her as out in her youth. She had no will to make those decisions then... being promiscuous now is no comparison.  One former lover, Posachi, was rumored to have been turned by Asmodeus, and even tried to taint her against the order during a long mission when, carefully, he guided her toward outright rebellion against her gods and led the pillage of a lost temple of At'ar... it was here that At'ar-- she believes-- intervened and, after removing Posachi's presence from the lost temple, presented her with the gifts of the Sun by blending his power with the powers of Sune, making love to her for three days and nights and planting what she imagines to be a 'seed' of his power in her heart.

Blinkin

Wren (Swashbuckler/rogue) was born and raised in Waterdeep. She's the child of a life long sailor who bedazzled her with bedtime sotries of the high seas and the adventrues that he had had (When he was home), so she took up the same career. She's seen much of the sword coast, and perhaps some beyond it, but has spent the cold seasons in waterdeep (when shipping is traditionally closed down) and may of met any number of people in the taverns and other places that crowds gather. At this point in her life, she is probably down to one or two voyages a season on ship and doing a little more land bound adventuring for the city. I'm sure that during all of tha time (She's nearly 30), she may of met... perhaps done a lot more than met... any number of people basedin or around the area of Waterdeep.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Florence

I mostly just need to sort out the equipment, which I sent a PM to you (Calrond) about.

Other than that, just... animal companion and fluff.