Reinstalling software in XP.

Started by Blinkin, October 18, 2013, 08:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Hi Gang, it's me again.

I know, kringe and run for the hills. lol

My question this time is a simple one... Can I install IE 8 over IE 8, or do I have to uninstall the old 8 first?

My current versin has gotten too buggie for me to continue using it, but cannot update to a newer version because they don't work with XP.

Firefox and Chrome don't play well with my screen reader, so I'm pushed to reinstall to try to get an undamanged copy back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Oniya

I would recommend an uninstall first.  About the only thing you should save from the old IE 8 is your bookmarks.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blinkin

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would write over still, or if that was done away with.

Do you know if the security updates will stay, or will I need to go hunting for them again?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Oniya

You might want to track those down before you do the delete/reinstall, just so you can get them applied in a more timely manner.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blinkin

I'll do that. I saw a mass download for them on a microsoft site yesterday, so finding them again shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks agan.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vekseid

I still say you should try to see if you can get Chromevox working on a Chromebook. You wouldn't have to worry about this anymore. : /

Blinkin

Quote from: Vekseid on October 18, 2013, 12:59:52 PM
I still say you should try to see if you can get Chromevox working on a Chromebook. You wouldn't have to worry about this anymore. : /

Tried it, it didn't work. The system is just too old and too limited in it's capabilities to run it.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vekseid

I mean a chromebook as in the computer proper. No more worries of viruses, etc.

They do cost a couple hundred, but you've been spending that sort of change on just support for this one.

Orange Marmalade

Quote from: Vekseid on October 18, 2013, 06:39:24 PM
I mean a chromebook as in the computer proper. No more worries of viruses, etc.

They do cost a couple hundred, but you've been spending that sort of change on just support for this one.

Looks like ChromeVox is built into it and fully supported, too. So probably not a bad idea.

iOS has a screen reader and a few other accessibility features as well, might be worth trying them out in a store to see how well they work for you and then find a cheap used model. (Bluetooth keyboards are cheap and work great with them as well)