Shadowrun 5th Edition - Civil Disobedience [Extreme, Closed to New Recruits]

Started by GloomCookie, September 19, 2015, 06:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

SEATTLE, 2077
Police sirens wailed as the two cop cars wove through traffic, their bodies painted the distinctive black and gold of Knight Errant security.  The lanes opening up for them as vehicles pulled off to the side, giving them a clear view of the truck ahead of them.  Barreling ahead at almost 120 kph, the old army surplus truck had definitely seen better days, probably before the AmerIndian nations even arose.  The cops had no trouble keeping pace, and the officers were just waiting for traffic to clear up for them to make a move.

Inside the back of the truck was a troll, standing almost 3 meters tall and just sitting there calmly.  He even offered the police a polite wave, a near content smile on his tremendous face.  The officers were almost certain they would have their opportunity once they reached the bridge ahead to block the truck and take them down.  They weren't prepared when the troll suddenly stood up, pulled a massive sword, and then got enough of a headstart to leap from the back of the truck and towards the officers.

The first car managed to swerve, but the second faced the full wrath of the now angry troll, who brought the sword down hard enough that it easily ripped open the car's roof like a cheap aluminium can.  The troll reached in, grabbed the two officers, and yanked them from the vehicle.  They tried to grab their pistols, only to be slammed together and thrown ahead of the car to be crushed by its wheels.  The troll then leapt from the car onto the other vehicle, the occupants startled and terrified as he used his massive hands to rip open the roof and crush the head of the officer in the passenger seat.  He then leaned down and grunted into the officer's ear, "Stop."

The officer complied, shaking like a leaf.  The troll suddenly resumed his happy grin and pat the officer on the head, before punching him so hard it snapped his neck instantly.  Hopping off the car, he saw the truck turn around and approach from the other direction.  He waited, then got a running start before leaping into the back of the truck as it passed, grabbing the handle on the back side to help himself inside.  He cracked his knuckles and sat back down, looking up only when a nimble elf climbed from the front to join him.  Her hair was a bright blue, and she had multiple tattoos and piercings all over her body.  She slid up to him and gave him a tender kiss on the cheek, "Thanks, Brutus.  You're the best."

A happy grin on his face, he settled in and relaxed.  No heat for now, so they could drop off the package to the Johnson, and be on their merry way.

It was just after 3 in the morning when Brutus hopped down from the truck, entering into the sleazy strip club called Tits and Tusks along with his girl Bright Eyes and their driver, a dwarf that went by Dodger.  Together, they went in and found a discrete booth that was big enough to let Brutus sit, with Dodger on his left and Bright Eyes on the right.  One of the dancing Ork girls came over and tried to get a private show, but they were here on business.  It wasn't five minutes later that a human sat down, dressed in a cheap button down shirt and slacks that made him look like the cheap customer that came to get off on big girls with big horns and teeth, but the team had seen him before when he'd worn an impeccable suit and looked the part of a corporate lackey through and through.

Drinks were ordered when the bare breasted elf waitress came by, and after being served the Johnson slipped her a fifty nuyen note to leave them alone for the next half hour.  She slipped it into her panties and slinked off, with the human pulling the curtain closed.

"You have it?" he asked, all business.  He'd dirtied up well, with a day's scruff and probably the same clothes he'd had on originally to add the authentic wage slave look to himself.

Dodger set the box on the table.  It didn't look too fancy, but the Johnson picked it up and began to examine it carefully.  He was reading the serial number and, since one of his eyes was now glowing, probably comparing it to the number he originally gave by reading both with his cybereye. 

He finally looked up and nodded, taking a pair of credchips and setting them on the table.  "12,000, as promised," he said, setting one of the chips down, then said, "And a bonus of 3,000 for being early."  He set the other down, and then waited as Bright Eyes slotted both chips to verify the contents.  A nod, and the Johnson stood up.  "Pleasure doing business with you," he said, picking up the entire glass of beer and downing it in one go, before tucking the box under his arm and slipping out.

The three finished their drinks and headed for the truck.  Another night's work for them done.

The Johnson, meanwhile, was already on the phone and making arrangements.  He had what he wanted and had paid only a fraction of what it was truly worth, and with it he had grand plans for the Seattle Sprawl.  Grand plans indeed.

Good evening everyone and I would like to say that it is kinda nice to be back.  I am in the mood to start running a Shadowrun game, and I'd like it to be one centered around the madness that is Seattle in the late 2070s.  Big things are happening in the Sprawl as some tensions die down while others flare, with corporations, rival nations, politicians, and even private citizens plot and plan to go about defining the future of this tiny bastion of the UCAS.  And caught right in the middle of it all will be four to five very unlucky people who will unwittingly advance and hinder people's plans while trying to make a few bucks on the side. 

My plans are simple and rather nuts at the same time.  I want a group that is in it for the long haul, who will play and have fun as they watch the Shadowrun world implode around them into chaos and infighting.  Their actions will define a city, and I want people who are cool with that concept while at the same time knowing they're just a bunch of punks to start off with.  Will they make it and survive?  Or will they be thrown into an incinerator and forgotten by the city at large, their contributions ignored and forgotten as the new regimes come in and take over.

So Omae, you in?

If the answer is yes, I need the following from you:

• A Character Sheet
  • List of Limits (Not just kinks but also what you won't do)
  • A commitment to posting at least once per week
  • A positive attitude

I will be doing the dice rolls to keep things fair, and I will always post what you got (plus or minus modifiers as appropriate), and tell you how well you did.  You should know the rules: no metagaming, no OOC drama, and no rule lawyering.

Hope to get some really positive responses!

Version and Books
5th Edition Core along with Street Grimoire and Run & Gun

Players & Roles
Slot 1: Blinkin playing Yellow Jacket, a Human Street Sam with an emphasis on firearms
Slot 2: TheGlyphstone playing Reise, a Troll ex-professional bodyguard with a silver tongue
Slot 3: HopeFox playing Steppen, a Human Motorcycle Adept
Slot 4: Muse playing ZZ, an Elf Rock & Roll Decker
Slot 5: AndyZ playing Silkara, a world weary Physical Adept
Slot 6: Jaded playing Gwenyvere, an elven cat burglar
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Blinkin

Interesting, even intriguing.

I have a character, although I don't know if it's 4th or 5th edition... a little thing that's a street sam.
I haven't played Shadowrun since the early 90's and several editions ago. I don't know the rules but I've always wanted to play. I'm willing to send the character in to see if it's the right set-up, but I think that I need a better definition on "limits." Does this refer to absolute limits for a character, or just erotic elements? IE, "No torturing her" or something more like "Will not be involved in torture and child molestation." sort of things?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

GloomCookie

Quote from: Blinkin on September 19, 2015, 06:55:54 PM
Interesting, even intriguing.

I have a character, although I don't know if it's 4th or 5th edition... a little thing that's a street sam.
I haven't played Shadowrun since the early 90's and several editions ago. I don't know the rules but I've always wanted to play. I'm willing to send the character in to see if it's the right set-up, but I think that I need a better definition on "limits." Does this refer to absolute limits for a character, or just erotic elements? IE, "No torturing her" or something more like "Will not be involved in torture and child molestation." sort of things?

If it's 4th there's a conversion guide to convert it to 5th, but I think you'd be in good shape to download Chummer 5th Edition, but that's up to you.  We can work it out.

As far as limits are concerned, it's stuff you will not partake in as a player.  I don't intend to go super extreme with this but I want to cover my bases.
My DeviantArt

Blinkin

Ah, I'll have to think about that... There's not a lot that I object to personally, but a few things. Mainly they have to do with things that break the suspension of disbelief and excessive descriptions of "Ick" Generally, things like a character blows up, I'm ok with the fact, if there's a reason for it, but I don't care to read all of the gory details of blood and body parts slapping wetly against things or the vivid descriptions of how much it did, or didn't hurt... things like that.

I'll come up with a list of "Just won't do.". I'll PM you the character and you can tell me if it's the right editon with little diffficulty, I think. I'll look at the link and see if it'll be compatable with my screen reader. I'm broke, so if it cost anything, can't get it.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheGlyphstone

So interested it's not even funny. ;D

As far as a sheet goes, I'll have to work one up - but in terms of concept, I'd like to recycle a character I have used in a few previous freeform Shadowrun games here on E - a German Troll (Giant) negotiator/Face with a sideline in brawling. It's definitely playing against type, but Karl has always been an absolute blast to RP as, and really letting him loose on a system game would be interesting.

My limits are pretty much as listed in O/O...gorn/excessively graphic gore I don't like, or the various sexual-related offs mentioned there, but anything else I'm pretty blase about - and my character's limits will undoubtedly be rather looser than mine.

Lastly, regarding the dice, why not just have everyone use the dice roller? You can't spoof it since it is built directly into the forum software, and it will speed up combat/challenges immensely (a big danger in PbP by default).

GloomCookie

I am excited to have two people interested!  One thing I have already told Blinkin is that I might have to tweak characters to fit them into the system, but I try to keep to the spirit of the character.  I do this because I personally love Chummer, and I use it to great effect to keep track of player stats and other goodies.  It also means if a player loses it, I can supply the info and what they can and can't do.

As far as the dice roller, I've never used it but the reason I wanted to roll the dice is because then I can add and subtract modifiers.  I'm fine with using the dice roller but we'll just see how it goes.
My DeviantArt

TheGlyphstone

So if a character can be built in Chummer already, it'll be helpful to you by doing that bit of the work for you? Or more narrowly, would we be limited to characters that can be built in Chummer?

Also, with regards to sheets- should we only use the Priority system of the core book, or are the alternate methods like Point Buy and Life Modules from Run Faster open for consideration? I'm kind of interested in Point Buy, but more in an exploratory sense; Priority works as a 'good enough' default.

GloomCookie

As of this moment I only have the 5th edition core rulebook, so let's use Priority and only the core for now.  If this were 4th, I'd be open to a lot more books and stuff, so I'll leave it up to you guys to tell me which system you prefer.  If enough of you want 4th, I'm totally open to it and we will switch to the 20th Anniversary Core, Runner's Companion, Arsenal, Augmentation, Street Magic, Unwired, Attitude, and Used Car Lot.  But I mean, that's if you guys want to do it.
My DeviantArt

TheGlyphstone

Working with 5e Core mechanics only is fine, if you're okay with me using the Giant's fluff-minus-mechanics over the regular core Troll stats. The mechanical difference is so tiny as to be irrelevant (I think it's like 2 karma for a +1 Armor bonus), and I honestly like the 4e Giant fluff better anyways; 5e Giants are more like Ent-men.

I'm also okay with the full 4e spread, so I'll abstain in any player-based vote on which system/book set to use.

HopeFox

I'm definitely interested! The opening text seems right up my alley. I have a concept for a physical adept go-ganger that I've been dying to try out. Magically enhanced vehicle skills and a serious need for speed!

I do love the idea of a "bunch of punks" getting caught up in bigger events than they expected. Honestly, that's my ideal of a Shadowrun plot.

I can get a sheet to you very quickly, and my limits in similar time. Standard Priority spread? No problem.

I'm very happy with 5E. I'd like to be able to use some things from Street Grimoire (mostly physical adept stuff relating to motorcycles) and Run & Gun (biker armour and a wider range of guns), but I can work with just the core.

(born_to_be_wild.mp3)
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

GloomCookie

It's Street Level gear starting out (10 avail) but otherwise yes standard spread my dears.

I can't afford Street Grimoire or Run & Gun just yet but later (say, October), I can add those.  And Chummer lets me at least keep track of the mechanics so I'll allow those books as well.

My DeviantArt

TFcommando

I do like Shadowrun!  I have a couple of hermitic combat-leaning mage concepts, former wage mages.   One depends on the Black Magic tradition, which isn't in the core.  Someone following the seductress spirit could be fun too.  Another is a corporate mage "princess," upper class and leading a very restricted life before she had to flee the corp for her life and has been getting hedonistic ever since.  Are those "street level" enough?
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

AndyZ

Dang, I was hoping to grab the mage.  Ah well.  I can go for my adept idea.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

GloomCookie

Quote from: TFcommando on September 19, 2015, 09:11:00 PM
I do like Shadowrun!  I have a couple of hermitic combat-leaning mage concepts, former wage mages.   One depends on the Black Magic tradition, which isn't in the core.  Someone following the seductress spirit could be fun too.  Another is a corporate mage "princess," upper class and leading a very restricted life before she had to flee the corp for her life and has been getting hedonistic ever since.  Are those "street level" enough?

Quote from: AndyZ on September 19, 2015, 09:18:11 PM
Dang, I was hoping to grab the mage.  Ah well.  I can go for my adept idea.

I'll let you two sort that out.  In response to whether they're Street Level enough, send me a character sheet and we'll take a peek.  If I like it, we'll work out the details.
My DeviantArt

TheGlyphstone

I'd think that avoiding outright Bad Guy character concepts - Black Magicians, Blood Magicians, Bug Shamans, etc. - might be a good idea. We're punks and Shadowrunners, but probably shouldn't be outright villains - black magicians canonically do not play well with others in any sense.

TFcommando

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 19, 2015, 09:37:11 PM
I'd think that avoiding outright Bad Guy character concepts - Black Magicians, Blood Magicians, Bug Shamans, etc. - might be a good idea. We're punks and Shadowrunners, but probably shouldn't be outright villains - black magicians canonically do not play well with others in any sense.

What are you thinking of vis a vis black magicians being antithetical to playing well with others?  Going by Street Magic, it wasn't "Evil," but more like "perverse, antithetical by choice, not playing by the usual rules." 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

GloomCookie

Black Magic is up there with blood magic and chaos magic in terms of negative connotations, and not just because they have a bad reputation.  It's considered one of those things where other magicians, upon encountering them, run like hell or try to kill everyone there.  So right off the bat anyone who discovered you were a black magician, you would be in serious trouble.  I'm not opposed to you playing it, but keep it in mind that you will become a target.
My DeviantArt

TheGlyphstone

I was reading out of Street Grimoire, the 5e magic book - that depicts them being all about 'me, me, me' and seeing others purely as tools to be manipulated or expended.

QuoteIt is mean,
brutal, and focused. It has a bad reputation because it
deserves it.
Black Magic understands that evil is not
about random, uncontrolled destruction—it is about the
systematic breaking down of others to facilitate your
own pleasure and enjoyment.
QuoteWhile some Black Magicians work together when
they find their interests overlap, they are not by and
large a group that sees much virtue and benefit in collective
action. They are more likely to work their way into
the ranks of some other organization, make their way
to the top, and then turn that whole organization into
a Black Magic organization—or at least an organization
that serves the needs and desires of a particular Black
Magician.

Granted, there is enough leeway in the above to allow a BM who'd work in a team, but the overall description does not come across as someone who can function as a trustworthy team member, by the reputation of their tradition if nothing else.

TFcommando

Looks like a change from 4e for black magic.  I don't have anything from 5e outside the core and some Gun Heavens yet.  Well, I'll drop that particular aspect.  I have a variety of notions, will have one up shortly.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in

AndyZ

GloomCookie

Quote from: AndyZ on September 19, 2015, 10:39:15 PM
Mind if I take the mage spot, then?

I have only received a character sheet from Blinkin so far, so please feel free to take whatever you want. 
My DeviantArt

TheGlyphstone

GloomCookie

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 19, 2015, 10:46:34 PM
What role is Blinkin submitting for?

I'm getting a Weapons Specialist (Guns) and Street Sam vibe from his character.  I'm digging the concept though I don't have all the info.  I plan to work with him to get the character built proper for the system since I think this is either 3rd or 4th edition he's got.
My DeviantArt