Dragon Riders of Pern : Interest Check

Started by SweetSerenade, December 05, 2014, 05:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

So basically, D&D teleporting, with all the wonderful ways your DM can fuck you over. Got it!
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

SweetSerenade

Caela - XD I can't wait to see what you throw at us.

After we go through our initial groups character acceptance... we will sit down and look at what we need in the game.

I also hope you all appreciate that i included Cis/Transe for identification on characters. As for Gender Fluid characters, we will be basing that solely on their sexuality and their more dominant fluid state. I even went so far as making sure I included the standards on Demisexual/Asexual characters. :D

And yes, like in D&D... it's hilarious... *giggles* Excpet when it isn't... Like a Weyrling Pair ending up gone forever... Riders have it happen less often, but you always chance that in high stress situations... coming out from Between might now happen... especially in Threadfall.

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Angie

Really, if your DM isn't being a colossal dick when things go wrong...he's not doing it right. Note: This is only when things go wrong.

SweetSerenade

Well I generally try to be nice... But I believe that In Character actions should recieve the proper responses. For instance, a character breaking Candidate rules... you can't be a candidate... stuff like tht.

Chrystal

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 31, 2014, 10:13:30 PM
Really, if your DM isn't being a colossal dick when things go wrong...he's not doing it right. Note: This is only when things go wrong.

This...! *snerk*

I can be quite brutal as a GM... Fortunately for everyone here, I'm only the Co-GM, so you can breath a little easier as my evil traits will I'm sure be moderated by Sweet, who is far... heh! ... Sweeter than I. *giggles*

There is a teaching song that everyone on Pern would be taught and Weyrlings would be made to actually dissect...

Black, blacker blackest
And cold beyond frozen things.
Where is Between, when there is nought
to life but fragile dragon wings.

In a one-on-one game set in second interval / third pass Pern, my weyrbred character explains the meaning of the song...

Quote from: Chrystal on September 18, 2013, 04:02:23 PM
Nareen smiled. She was good at this. "Black blacker blackest, is a description of what between is like. It is darker than the darkest thing ever. It is an almost tangible darkness. Cold beyond frozen things, is how it feels. It is colder even that  putting your hand into the snow on the high Northern peaks. Where is between? We don't know. Nor do the dragons. Every dragon rider since the first, has asked their dragon the same question, where is it, where do we go, when we go between? None of them have ever answered with anything more than, 'we go between', and that is all the answer there is."

She paused as knowing chuckles sounded in the room. She wasn't the only one who had asked her dragon the same question then? She went on: "When there is nought to life - Dragons go between to die. They suicide there when their riders die, because they cannot live without us. Between is dangerous. Weyrlings have gone between and not returned, so it is important to have a good mental image of where you want to go before instructing your dragon to take you. Dragons do not know where to go, they just know how to go"

[... Small part cut...]

M'bekil was staring at her and she shrugged, and concluded her explanation "But fragile dragon wings. Dragon wings are easily damaged, especially fighting thread. A badly thread-scored dragon may not have the strength to make it back out of between. But there is another side to that line, when combined with the previous one. When there is naught to life but fragile dragon wings. Dragons know how to go between and how to come back, they can stay between for quite a while. It is important to trust your dragon when you are between", she glanced at Hylia, whom she knew was still somewhat afraid of the blackness. "Your dragon will get you back out of between provided you do not panic. All you need to do is keep in your head a visualisation of where you want to come out, and your dragon will bring you out at that place."

Nareen grinned, and added "And finally, the first two lines, Black Blacker Blackest and cold beyond frozen things, if you say them right, last the exact amount of time to go between any two places on Pern".

I think that might prove helpful...? If not, then feel free to ignore it.

If anyone feels like reading that story - which is still ongoing - please do. It's Lexandria's post... Be aware that it is set in a much earlier time on Pern, not very long after the Pernese deliberately abandoned technology.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Angie

Maybe it's cause I just woke up, but all I can think of is "In brightest day, in blackest night...
"

SweetSerenade

Our game will have a lot of fun but strange things going on... and a nice read through on the information in the wiki (including any links) Is a really really good idea.

SweetSerenade

Hello all of my lovely players! I have wonderful news for you! In the next week or so we will have character formats up for character creation, human and dragon profiles. Dragons will require profiles, and we even have clutch details so you know what dragons are available at Igen Weyr in the last 15 turns (If it is a dragon older than 15 turns we can talk about it) 

So you are all aware, transfers from other Weyrs are only accepted on Dragons that are over 10 turns of age - no exceptions.

Other than that! You will be creating your characters sooN! As soon as Profile formats are up you can start Pming your characters to me and Chrystal, we both will decide whether or not the character should be part of the game - what(if any) adjustments may be needed for the character to work.
We should be starting the OOC seciton after the first characters are posted up, and we will take all normal conversation there. THen we will be making a new thread for recruitmnet purposes... XD *chuckles*

:D Who all is still on board?

Angie

Combat Medic Angelo (who will be renamed eventually) reporting in!

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on January 06, 2015, 05:46:51 PM
Combat Medic Angelo (who will be renamed eventually) reporting in!

So your classification would actually be
Journeyman/Master (Whichever you pick) Healer of Trauma Angelo

Remember that a characters name should be a blending of their parents names, though very rarely family members will reuse will known family member names.

I can provide examples if they are needed.

Angie

I could really use some examples. Think I'll go with Journeyman Healer of Trauma, probably in his upper 30s.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on January 06, 2015, 06:13:26 PM
I could really use some examples. Think I'll go with Journeyman Healer of Trauma, probably in his upper 30s.

So use Angelo as an example

His mother was Angelique and his father was Lorelo = You take the part of his mothers, and part of his fathers and get Angelo. Say Angelo has a child with a woman name Moniqa - a boy could be name Monelo and a girl could be named Angeliqa... Cool right?

Angie

Quote from: SweetSerenade on January 06, 2015, 06:45:42 PM
So use Angelo as an example

His mother was Angelique and his father was Lorelo = You take the part of his mothers, and part of his fathers and get Angelo. Say Angelo has a child with a woman name Moniqa - a boy could be name Monelo and a girl could be named Angeliqa... Cool right?

Oh, okay, that's pretty cool!

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Angiejuusan on January 06, 2015, 06:47:52 PM
Oh, okay, that's pretty cool!

I always thought pernese naming systems was pretty cool. It means people will always have pretty interesting and unique name combinations. No Tom, Dick, or Harry in these games!

Caela

Doji Hoturi

Color me interested. I've only read the main three books and Dragonsdawn, but I've always been drawn to the world she created. My main concern is getting lost in the sandbox...

Varied character interest. Rider to Weyrling to Crafter to holder...male and female.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Doji Hoturi on January 06, 2015, 09:29:00 PM
Color me interested. I've only read the main three books and Dragonsdawn, but I've always been drawn to the world she created. My main concern is getting lost in the sandbox...

Varied character interest. Rider to Weyrling to Crafter to holder...male and female.
Feel free to swing into the Wiki, link in the first post, so that you can figure out what you are looking for :D

Angie

Doji Hoturi

I had been exploring it before I indicated my interest.   :)

Sending a PM shortly.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Doji Hoturi on January 06, 2015, 11:00:29 PM
I had been exploring it before I indicated my interest.   :)

Sending a PM shortly.

We have listings of Clutches in Igen, if you want to make a Weyrling (which there is only one clutch that is Weyrling status since graduation is at Two Turns)... But the Gms are always willing to talk about characters :D

Angie

So, I think I'll make Angelo first and Monelo, his son, later. His son will likely be a Candidate while Angelo will be a Journeyman Crafter, about 36 Turns old.

Chrystal

Sorry for delays in getting the last few bits of data up. These are caused by the fact that we do not live in a utopia and thus things such as food, electricity, internet, must all be purchased, and to purchase them one must first sell one's mind, body and/or soul to someone else, or more usually, sell one's time and energy.

In other words, I have started a new job, after six months out of work, which has helped my muse no end because she isn't distracted by worries, but means I have a lot less time to write.

Oh and on a separate but related issue, Sweet, I was thinking of doing a wiki section relating to the economy of Pern, marks, barter, gathers, etc...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

SweetSerenade

Chrystal we can probably do something like that as a work in progress sort of thing :D

Verasaille

Hate to say it, but I am afraid this game is getting too complicated. I don't mind a sandbox. This sounds like too much studying and checking wiki's and trying to stay IC and remember it all is going to confuse me.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

SweetSerenade