News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Warhammer 40k: Black Crusade

Started by Life on Mars, September 10, 2014, 09:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Darkling on September 14, 2014, 01:06:03 AM
Im aware XD. Honestly sometimes i dont take it just because Everyone does.

It's like that old saying...if everyone you knew jumped off a bridge, would you jump off too? The right answer being 'Heck yes! If they're all jumping off that bridge, they probably have a very good reason." :D

You should also have a servitor with whom you have long, one-sided conversations as if it could hear and reply to you.

ChaoticSky

Heh. Okay. Chargen questions for our glorious leader!

A) At chargen, your given your choice of mechandendrite, "Optical  Mechadendrite or Utility  Mechadendrite  or Ballistic  Mechadendrite  with  Laspistol", the only one they dont list, is Medicae, and since im playing a biologis, i find this somewhat incongruous, would it be permissible for me to take a Medicae dendrite at chargen in place of one of those?

B) Since im a heretek biomagos, im likely to fluff all her cybernetics as organic technology in nature. She may or may not have a fondness for tyranids. Will that be okay or would you preferr i stay traditional with it?

C) Biomagos are most typified in the 40k system by the Genetor alt-rank from RT:ITS pg 82. Normally, a Explorator gains The Flesh Is Weak, which is a talent-version of BC's Mechanicus Assimilation, which grants the Machine(x) trait. Genetors give that up, as converting the body to a machine is obviously not in keeping with their ideologies. Instead they get a talent that allows them to acquire various organic traits, such as wings or regeneration. If its okay with you, id like to discuss a method for accomplishing something similar in BC. I used to copy the Genetor list but its rather awkward due to all the changes in mutation and traits between RT and BC, more recently i have been going with this, using the Fleshmoulding list from ToE:
The heretek (and only the heretek) can acquire the 'Forged Flesh' augmentation (rare, like Assimilation), a number of times equal to their Toughness Bonus, each time gaining one of the following traits, to a maximum of (4): Amphibious, Burrower (X), Crawler, Dark Sight, Fear (X), Deadly Natural Weapons, Flyer (X), Multiple Arms (X), Natural Armour (X), Regeneration (X), Size (X), Sturdy, Toxic (X) or Unnatural Characteristic (X).

And letting the GM strip any trait off the list they dont think i should beable to genehack into myself. Im more interested for flavour than power, so dont be shy.  :P

TheGlyphstone

But you didn't give up your familiar, which is the true sign of sacrificing power for flavor. (veeeeeery obscure joke, don't worry about it.)

Unrelated....I want to start this game so bad. I think I'm accumulating RL Corruption points just waiting for people to finish characters.

Life on Mars

Quote from: Jaded on September 13, 2014, 08:57:11 PM
The whip was admittedly mostly for flavour.

I have reworked my character as an Apostate instead of a Psyker, since it seems like Psykers are more popular and my concept worked decently well either way.   I see her using her armour and fist when expecting combat, and no armour and her blade (or unarmed) when trying to blend in.  I could see her having fallen in with a Psyker easily enough, so that angle should hopefully still work. 

I could see her easily going towards Khorne or Slaanesh, so that should be interesting depending on how the game goes.

I don't suppose I could trade her starting armour (Mesh or Flak) for... something?  Maybe a Red-Dot Laser Sight for her laspistol, since I doubt she will hit anything either way.

Everything looks good. Maybe look into acquiring a minion  to look after your armor? As for the for the armor I would take TheGlyphStones advice, might find something you like later on.

Quote from: Darkling on September 14, 2014, 12:14:35 PM
Heh. Okay. Chargen questions for our glorious leader!

A) At chargen, your given your choice of mechandendrite, "Optical  Mechadendrite or Utility  Mechadendrite  or Ballistic  Mechadendrite  with  Laspistol", the only one they dont list, is Medicae, and since im playing a biologis, i find this somewhat incongruous, would it be permissible for me to take a Medicae dendrite at chargen in place of one of those?

B) Since im a heretek biomagos, im likely to fluff all her cybernetics as organic technology in nature. She may or may not have a fondness for tyranids. Will that be okay or would you preferr i stay traditional with it?

C) Biomagos are most typified in the 40k system by the Genetor alt-rank from RT:ITS pg 82. Normally, a Explorator gains The Flesh Is Weak, which is a talent-version of BC's Mechanicus Assimilation, which grants the Machine(x) trait. Genetors give that up, as converting the body to a machine is obviously not in keeping with their ideologies. Instead they get a talent that allows them to acquire various organic traits, such as wings or regeneration. If its okay with you, id like to discuss a method for accomplishing something similar in BC. I used to copy the Genetor list but its rather awkward due to all the changes in mutation and traits between RT and BC, more recently i have been going with this, using the Fleshmoulding list from ToE:
The heretek (and only the heretek) can acquire the 'Forged Flesh' augmentation (rare, like Assimilation), a number of times equal to their Toughness Bonus, each time gaining one of the following traits, to a maximum of (4): Amphibious, Burrower (X), Crawler, Dark Sight, Fear (X), Deadly Natural Weapons, Flyer (X), Multiple Arms (X), Natural Armour (X), Regeneration (X), Size (X), Sturdy, Toxic (X) or Unnatural Characteristic (X).

And letting the GM strip any trait off the list they dont think i should beable to genehack into myself. Im more interested for flavour than power, so dont be shy.  :P

A) Before the switch I would point out you can acquire two items as part of character creation so you could obtain a Medicae dendrite if you wanted. Also I feel the Optical dendrite actually really suits someone interested in biology as it allows microscopic examination. All the dendrites mentioned though have the same rarity so I wouldn't be against you switching it out.

B) I would prefer you stay traditional but you could describe yourself as regrowing flesh over the dendrites to give the appearance of such, really gross.

C) Actually I feel you found your way of getting those traits on your own. You could simply have your character practice the Rite of Fleshmoulding as described in that book. It's treated as a ritual but you can use a -30 medicae test to accomplish those affects. If you acquired assistants or minions to aid you I see no reason you can't perform it on yourself, something that feels very Black Crusad-y.  Added benefit of not spending xp, though you would have the risks involved with performing the ritual.

Usually rituals require research but the started adventure that's lined up would put you int the perfect place to find such information.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 14, 2014, 01:18:56 PM
A) Before the switch I would point out you can acquire two items as part of character creation so you could obtain a Medicae dendrite if you wanted. Also I feel the Optical dendrite actually really suits someone interested in biology as it allows microscopic examination. All the dendrites mentioned though have the same rarity so I wouldn't be against you switching it out.

B) I would prefer you stay traditional but you could describe yourself as regrowing flesh over the dendrites to give the appearance of such, really gross.

C) Actually I feel you found your way of getting those traits on your own. You could simply have your character practice the Rite of Fleshmoulding as described in that book. It's treated as a ritual but you can use a -30 medicae test to accomplish those affects. If you acquired assistants or minions to aid you I see no reason you can't perform it on yourself, something that feels very Black Crusad-y.  Added benefit of not spending xp, though you would have the risks involved with performing the ritual.

Usually rituals require research but the started adventure that's lined up would put you int the perfect place to find such information.
B)Proper genetors mix metal and flesh in their progression, so theres some support for the idea of keeping her metal bits, but i was planning to have her entirely eschew metal as a large part of the reason why she fell out of the admech's graces to begin with. The concept dies without the heresy. I kinda threw it in there just out of habit, i didnt expect you to say no :o

C)Eh, really not interested in using a actual ritual, not only am i not a psyker, but is it aligned to slannesh (who is opposed to my favoured patron, Nurgle), and it subverts the entire modus operandi of a genetor. I might as well play a not-fleshshaper with medicinal habits. Even putting side that a -50 test is basically impossible, I am a heretek, not some backwards warpdabbler. *pokes fun at a psykers* But i honestly dont mind if youd rather leave it out. Your far from the first Gm who didnt like it. I mostly offer it as a effective consolation prize for never being able to take Assimilation, but id rather have neither than engage in the Rite-proper.

But yeh. Thats okay... ill just rework my concept to be mechanical somehow instead of organic.

*Edit; revised the post to be more clear and elaborate.

TheGlyphstone

It could always become part of her character arc/quest...she was thrown out of the Admech for excessive interest in flesh over machine, but was lured to Chaos by the promise of potentially finding what she sought. Developing that sort of pure biotech sounds like a end-of-arc triumph on par with or as part of Ascension, having it accomplished pre-game seems like a waste of development. Along the way, say, researching a Nurgle-aligned variant of the Rite of Fleshmoulding - Papa Nurgle would chortle with delight if one of his children managed to 'steal' knowledge of that kind from prissy old Slaanesh. Or you could go study under Fabius Bile.

You don't even need to be a Psyker, in fact. The Rite of Fleshmoulding mentions the Flesh Shapers of Melancholia, who do NOT have the Psyker trait. It only requires occult and/or medical knowledge.

Life on Mars

Yes, I have no problem with reworking that ritual into more of a....not-ritual...devoted to Nurgle. Change the requirements to medical equipment and glass tubes with people floating in them, adding some prayers to Nurgle for luck. The Ritual they have listed seems more like a science experiment in the first place since the cost of failure is simple rending damage.

My main concern with organic technology would be how it would function. Would you still use tech-use to repair them or would it be medicae? How did you come across the knoweldge?, ect.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 14, 2014, 02:37:51 PM
It could always become part of her character arc/quest...she was thrown out of the Admech for excessive interest in flesh over machine, but was lured to Chaos by the promise of potentially finding what she sought. Developing that sort of pure biotech sounds like a end-of-arc triumph on par with or as part of Ascension, having it accomplished pre-game seems like a waste of development. Along the way, say, researching a Nurgle-aligned variant of the Rite of Fleshmoulding - Papa Nurgle would chortle with delight if one of his children managed to 'steal' knowledge of that kind from prissy old Slaanesh. Or you could go study under Fabius Bile.
Earning the right to fluff my implants as organic rather than metal with no mechanical difference is most certainly not anything near a triumph on par with Apotheosis into a Daemon Prince. :P

And while that would certainly be something i would be interested in if i was playing a psyker or mystic-type, again, its of no interest to a heretek whos focus is on mastering genetics... not ignoring genetics in favour of ritual. :P

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 14, 2014, 02:47:29 PM
Yes, I have no problem with reworking that ritual into more of a....not-ritual...devoted to Nurgle. Change the requirements to medical equipment and glass tubes with people floating in them, adding some prayers to Nurgle for luck. The Ritual they have listed seems more like a science experiment in the first place since the cost of failure is simple rending damage.

My main concern with organic technology would be how it would function. Would you still use tech-use to repair them or would it be medicae? How did you come across the knoweldge?, ect.
That could work, if its more like a elabourate medicae test rather than a ritual then i would be fine with it, the crux is that shes seeking scientific processii, not cheating with magic.

And that would be up to you, broadly speaking id say she uses medicae, but theres no practical difference between techuse and medicae other than the target, and i plan to attain full mastery of both eventually. So do i use +10 tech use or +10 mediae? It doesnt seem to matter a great deal to me mechanically. And she developed it herself while studying xenoforms, she was a jr Magos who found a genetic key that could be used to manipulate highly flexible nid DNA and used it to create a few artificial organs that duplicated the effects of common implants as proof-of-concepts. When she revealed her work.... well, you can imagine. She was lucky to escape with her life and fled to the Vortex with all of her research. Her current project is focused on learning to directly manipulate human DNA with similar facility. Initially she will be convinced that if she could learn to use human DNA like that, instead of the impure strains of a alien, then her peers would welcome her back and shed finally receive the respect and accolades she deserves. But between point A and point B she begins to explore the utility of using viruses to deploy her genetic upgrade payloads to living humans, accidentally gets infected by something very... unpleasant, finds Nurgle, and realizes how tragically pointless such egotistical desires were. Instead shes just going to shower them all with her Father's blessings to prove she forgives them for running her off. ^^

And then, everyone else too~! For Nurgle loves all things.

...Or, such was my original plan anyway.

Life on Mars

Quote from: Darkling on September 14, 2014, 03:12:55 PM
Earning the right to fluff my implants as organic rather than metal with no mechanical difference is most certainly not anything near a triumph on par with Apotheosis into a Daemon Prince. :P

And while that would certainly be something i would be interested in if i was playing a psyker or mystic-type, again, its of no interest to a heretek whos focus is on mastering genetics... not ignoring genetics in favour of ritual. :P
That could work, if its more like a elabourate medicae test rather than a ritual then i would be fine with it, the crux is that shes seeking scientific processii, not cheating with magic.

And that would be up to you, broadly speaking id say she uses medicae, but theres no practical difference between techuse and medicae other than the target, and i plan to attain full mastery of both eventually. So do i use +10 tech use or +10 mediae? It doesnt seem to matter a great deal to me mechanically. And she developed it herself while studying xenoforms, she was a jr Magos who found a genetic key that could be used to manipulate highly flexible nid DNA and used it to create a few artificial organs that duplicated the effects of common implants as proof-of-concepts. When she revealed her work.... well, you can imagine. She was lucky to escape with her life and fled to the Vortex with all of her research. Her current project is focused on learning to directly manipulate human DNA with similar facility. Initially she will be convinced that if she could learn to use human DNA like that, instead of the impure strains of a alien, then her peers would welcome her back and shed finally receive the respect and accolades she deserves. But between point A and point B she begins to explore the utility of using viruses to deploy her genetic upgrade payloads to living humans, accidentally gets infected by something very... unpleasant, finds Nurgle, and realizes how tragically pointless such egotistical desires were. Instead shes just going to shower them all with her Father's blessings to prove she forgives them for running her off. ^^

And then, everyone else too~! For Nurgle loves all things.

...Or, such was my original plan anyway.

Yeah, we can refluff the "rule of sympathy" bits that are needed for ritual bonuses and set the whole thing up as tech-heresy rather than warp magic, though at a certain point those lines start to blur =)

And ok, you can do that with your dendrites and whatnot. For mechanical purposes I'd say if you even need to make a test on them you would use the tech-use or medicae, whichever is lower at the time. Other than that the mechanics will be the same.

ChaoticSky

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Darkling on September 14, 2014, 03:12:55 PM

Who said anything about fluff? I mean total control over the malleability of flesh, twisting it like clay into whatever form you can imagine. No 'implants' involve, you just birth changes in body by will. That's something a Demon Prince can do.

All the more reason to get chummy with Bile, he's the best geneticist and scientist in the galaxy.

So, we've got Jaded's Apostate, my Psyker, Darkling's in-progress Heretek, and HairyHeretic's Night Lord. Who's our wayward 5th columnist?

HairyHeretic

I've put my sheet into my earlier post that had the background. I haven't taken any additional equipment as I think I need to use those slots up to get my Legacy weapon.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Life on Mars

Right, I believe it is deadmanshand who is still finishing his character. No need to rush there though, we want everyone to find something they can have fun with.

Yes, your legacy weapon counts as both your starting acquisitions. It's pretty damn sweet if you ask me, love those rules.

HairyHeretic

Slight update, I'd forgotten to add my Power armour onto the equipment.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

deadmanshand

So retardedly busy the last couple of days. Damn.

First character built in Black Crusade and I haven't played this system since Dark Heresy came out. Thoughts on the mechanics of the character are more than encouraged. Well... thoughts on any part of the character are encouraged really.

Bio
Name: Nuriel, the One Eyed Cremator
Appearance:

Nuriel is to most just a mask. A flat black one eyed mask with a single red eye staring outwards. It's the only sign of the man within as every inch of him is covered by the scarlet cowled flak duster and the heavy, fire resistant clothing beneath. Black gloves cover the hands and strips of black cloth cover the throat.

The survivor of the Pentad Imperial Guard Outpost claims to have seen the mask ripped from him and claims only chaos could have made the creature beneath it.

Background:

My first memories are of soot and ash through the lens of a rebreather as we scavenged for materials on Krieg. The children of the Black House. All of us without family. Without blood to call out own. They called us isoleirt. Trash left to the wastes. We survived. Built our strength among the rocks and the radiation and the death.

When the Imperium called the Achilus Crusade we answered and became the 132nd Death Korps Infantry Regiment. With us came the Chaplain of the Black House. We served death to the foes of the corpse emperor with flame and bolter. There was no fear for us to find on the battlefield that Krieg had not already shown us. Till Selix.

On Selix Secundus we were sent against servants of the Ruinous Powers. Sorcery, daemons, corruption... all were thrown at us. Five hundred of us hit the surface. Four of us remained by the time we breached the command center. The sorcerer waiting for us was strong. Burnt, one eye missing, and the last of the children of the Black House I took his own weapon and killed him with it. Watching him burn as I started to die.

But I didn't. A backup regimen from the Pentad Outpost pulled me from the wreckage clutching a flamer. For three months I lay in a medbay tossed upon tides of pain. Lost in the dark. That is when I started to hear the whispers. Promises of purpose... exultations of the fire's beauty... knowledge of how to turn pain into power. When I awoke I was not the same. The Warp had touched me and the flame had embraced me. Scouring away the man in me like cancer from the flesh.

I took up a new name. Nuriel. When I turned my weapon and my new found power on my fellow guardsmen I earned another. The One Eyed Cremator. The Outpost had housed 1000 soldiers in it's reinforced walls. Only one survived and he only for a few days. By the time he named his killer my trail was cold ashes.

In the days and months that followed I heard the words of my gods. I learned to pray with every flame I gave birth to. To make offerings with every enemies consumed. To earn my place in the unhallowed halls of those Powers by bringing ruin to their enemies. Awaiting the day the flame will take me one last time.

Do you understand?

- Nuriel to Commisar Caleb Talten of the 167th Fellen Infantry

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Nuriel, the One Eyed Cremator
Human Psyker

Wounds: 8 + 1d5
Corruption: 1d5 + 5
WS: 25      BS: 35
S: 20        T: 45 
AG: 35      Int: 42
Per: 45     WP: 55
Fel: 21      Inf: 1d5 + 21

Pride: Devotion      Disgrace: Destruction     Motivation: Violence

SKILLS
Linguistics (Low Gothic)

Common Lore (War), Common Lore (Imperial Guard), Trade (Armourer)

Awareness, Psyniscience, Forbidden Lore: Psykers, Forbidden Lore: Warp, Interrogate, Intimidate, Dodge

TALENTS
Psyker, Jaded, WT (Primary & SP), Warp Sense, Cold Hearted, Orthoproxy

Manifest Flame (100xp), Fire Bolt (100xp), Mind Over Matter (100xp), Telekinetic Shield (200xp), Butcher's Offering

TRAITS
The Quick and the Dead (+2 Initiative)
Chaos Psyker (Psyker, Psy Rating 3, Unbound)

GEAR
Stub Revolver (Common Quality)
Sword (Good Quality)
Flak Cloak
Psy-Focus
Dataslate of Arcane Lore

Corpsefire (Flamer, Legacy Weapon, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition Mod of +10)

XP
200 for Interrogation (Known)
200 for Forbidden Lore: Warp (Known)
250xp for Orthoproxy
250xp for Cold Hearted
100xp for Butcher's Offering

ALIGNMENT
Unaligned 3
Khorne
Nurgle
Slaanesh
Tzeentsch 2

Jaded

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 14, 2014, 01:18:56 PM
Everything looks good. Maybe look into acquiring a minion  to look after your armor? As for the for the armor I would take TheGlyphStones advice, might find something you like later on.

I thought about a minion as it was one of the options, but it is hard to make a good Lesser one. 

Anyone have comments on the below one?  My thought is that he is a servo-skull mainly set to watch the suit and warn off people (though it would be nice if he could have a camera or vox-caster built in).  I see him as still having his jaw attached, but when he draws his weapon it opens and the barrel exits from his mouth.  I'm not sure how intelligent a servo-skull normally is, but I am hoping he can at least talk, do basic reasoning but will follow orders to the letter, etc.  I also envisioned him wearing a flak helmet, but mostly because it just amused me (especially if he was made from the skull of a guardsman). 

I'm also confused by the (X) for traits.  Can I pick any value?  That almost seems to be what was done for some examples, but then why take less than the maximum?  If it can be any value, he'd be Machine (2) and Hoverer (4)

WS:  01 (0)    BS:  30 (3)
S:   05 (0)    T:   05 (0)
AG:  10 (1)    Int: 10 (2)
Per: 30 (3)    WP:  05 (0)
Fel: 04 (0)    Loy: Char Fel

Awareness, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Scrutiny

Heightened Senses (Sight), Mimic, Quick Draw, Unremarkable, Weapon Training (Las)

Hoverer (1)
Machine (1)
Size (2)

Laspistol, Flak Helmet

TheGlyphstone

Servo-skulls and servitors are, for all intents and purposes, robotic drones. They can have fairly complex 'programming', but they can't reason outside their programmed instructions any more than a non-sapient computer could. Any speech would be pre-recorded phrases set on triggers, and reasoning would be limited to predefined program parameters.

If you want a sapient lesser minion, you'll have to make to with some sort of cultist I think.

Life on Mars

Quote from: deadmanshand on September 14, 2014, 05:12:02 PM
So retardedly busy the last couple of days. Damn.

First character built in Black Crusade and I haven't played this system since Dark Heresy came out. Thoughts on the mechanics of the character are more than encouraged. Well... thoughts on any part of the character are encouraged really.

Love it. That's some cool stuff you got there. I'd like to know more about the force that took him, unless he himself doesn't fully understand it (or if you prefer it secret in which case you can pm me) but I like the backstory. Man, really getting some good stuff from players here!

Also, your character sheet looks good but I just want to run over the math real quick on the Legacy Weapon. I think I've been misreading some of the text on Legacy Weapons and want to make sure I got this right.

Corpsefire (Flamer, Legacy Weapon, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition Mod of +10) (nice name)

Ok, so you acquired this as one of your starting pieces of equipment as described in Tome of Blood right? So a Flamer has Common availability, but it's treated as Average because Legacy (+10), you're getting a Single one and I saw nothing about ignoring the amount modifier (+10), then for Craftsmanship you put nothing but since Legacy Weapons are treated as one step higher than what they are the highest you need to go is Good (-10), then you have the modifier for being legacy weapon with Spray (-10). Total Acquisition Modifier of (+0)

So, if I read that right, you could add something like a weapon upgrade to give it one more -10, and still acquire it. I would suggest Extended Magazine (which I read as bigger or extra tanks). But please, someone correct me if I am wrong here.

The second bit is where it says how Legacy Weapons count as extra pieces of starting acquired equipment. I think (again, correct me if I am wrong) that only applies if you turn one of your STARTING pieces of equipment, the ones you get for your character archetype, into a Legacy Weapon and it  has any of those attributes listed in Tome of Blood. Meaning you can still acquire one more item that's at a -10 or higher. Same with HairyHeretic, I believe.

Quote from: Jaded on September 15, 2014, 12:35:00 AM
I thought about a minion as it was one of the options, but it is hard to make a good Lesser one. 

Anyone have comments on the below one?  My thought is that he is a servo-skull mainly set to watch the suit and warn off people (though it would be nice if he could have a camera or vox-caster built in).  I see him as still having his jaw attached, but when he draws his weapon it opens and the barrel exits from his mouth.  I'm not sure how intelligent a servo-skull normally is, but I am hoping he can at least talk, do basic reasoning but will follow orders to the letter, etc.  I also envisioned him wearing a flak helmet, but mostly because it just amused me (especially if he was made from the skull of a guardsman). 

I'm also confused by the (X) for traits.  Can I pick any value?  That almost seems to be what was done for some examples, but then why take less than the maximum?  If it can be any value, he'd be Machine (2) and Hoverer (4)

This being chaos though I don't have much problem with being a bit loose on how much a servo-skull could accomplish. Call it a "Corrupted Servo Skull" or something like that. Only concern is that is lakes the strength to move the armor if necessary and with so few wounds he would be easily taken out by any would-be thieves, though I like your description = ). There are also rules for creating a minion with random stats in Tome of Excess, along with a few more traits:

Quote"To generate Characteristics, roll 2d10 for each Characteristic, and add 10 to the result on each for Lesser Minions, 15 for Minions, and 20 for Greater Minions. Before rolling, the player can choose up to two Characteristics and apply a +5 to those scores. For each Characteristic that gains this bonus, the player must choose another Characteristic to suffer a corresponding –5 penalty."

Good way to generate a cultist but not as great at creating custom jobs.

And yeah, you can take any number listed for the traits. The reason for not taking max, I believe, is flavor only or GM's call. There are also rules.

Last note: I usually give my lesser minions Weapon Training (flame) and a hand flamer or better. Flamers don't require Ballistic Skill tests so having a low score for that doesn't make it less dangerous.

Jaded

I re-envisioned the minion as a skeleton reinforced with machines to give it movement and kind of a servo-skull head/brain.  If I can roll I'd prefer to do that (as the result makes more sense to me, except maybe Int).  The basic concept is it has a few programs it follows, usually follow, wait, guard, etc.  It is built to fit inside the armour itself, basically wearing it when she isn't, and if anyone tries to sneak up on it or otherwise take the armour without a password, it attacks. 

I originally had it with a chain greatsword for the intimidation factor (was surprised they are just scarce), but will go with a flamer as you suggested.

WS:  29 (2)    BS:  18 (2)
S:   20 (2)    T:   18 (1)
AG:  24 (2)    Int: 20 (2)
Per: 32 (3)    WP:  21 (2)
Fel: 27 (2)    Loy: == Fellowship

Natural Armour (4)
Machine (2)
Sturdy

Awareness, Dodge, Scrutiny

Ambidextrous, Combat Sense, Heightened Senses (Sight), Weapon Training (Power, Flame)

Hand Flamer, Flak Armour

+5 WS, +5 Per, -5 Int, -5 BS

At 2014-09-15 03:02:41, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 24
At 2014-09-15 03:02:58, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 23
At 2014-09-15 03:03:18, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 20
At 2014-09-15 03:03:31, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 18
At 2014-09-15 03:03:42, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 24
At 2014-09-15 03:03:55, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 25
At 2014-09-15 03:04:12, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 27
At 2014-09-15 03:04:24, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 21
At 2014-09-15 03:04:36, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10a10 Result: 27

Life on Mars

Now that's cool but there is one problem: Machine trait and Natural Armor Bonus don't stack. You can trade in traits to increase another variable, so if you only take two traits you could give it Machine (3).

And the other question... WHOSE skeleton was it?!  :o   Possible plot complication down the road? Only the gm knows... ;D

deadmanshand

Quote from: Life on Mars on September 15, 2014, 02:56:04 AM
Love it. That's some cool stuff you got there. I'd like to know more about the force that took him, unless he himself doesn't fully understand it (or if you prefer it secret in which case you can pm me) but I like the backstory. Man, really getting some good stuff from players here!

I'm glad you love it. As for the force... fucked if I know. I like throwing story hooks into my backstories. If it's something you want to run with have fun. If not cool, creepy background stuff. I win either way.

QuoteAlso, your character sheet looks good but I just want to run over the math real quick on the Legacy Weapon. I think I've been misreading some of the text on Legacy Weapons and want to make sure I got this right.

Corpsefire (Flamer, Legacy Weapon, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition Mod of +10) (nice name)

Ok, so you acquired this as one of your starting pieces of equipment as described in Tome of Blood right? So a Flamer has Common availability, but it's treated as Average because Legacy (+10), you're getting a Single one and I saw nothing about ignoring the amount modifier (+10), then for Craftsmanship you put nothing but since Legacy Weapons are treated as one step higher than what they are the highest you need to go is Good (-10), then you have the modifier for being legacy weapon with Spray (-10). Total Acquisition Modifier of (+0)

So, if I read that right, you could add something like a weapon upgrade to give it one more -10, and still acquire it. I would suggest Extended Magazine (which I read as bigger or extra tanks). But please, someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Really? Awesome. I admit that I didn't read that section as thoroughly as I should have. Being off in no way, shape, or form surprises me. Let me revise it. And I missed out on weapon upgrades and downgrades.

Corspefire - Flamer, Good Quality, Extended Magazine & Pain Vent Upgrades, Noxious Discharge Downgrade, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition of -10

That looks right now and is significantly more thematic.

QuoteThe second bit is where it says how Legacy Weapons count as extra pieces of starting acquired equipment. I think (again, correct me if I am wrong) that only applies if you turn one of your STARTING pieces of equipment, the ones you get for your character archetype, into a Legacy Weapon and it  has any of those attributes listed in Tome of Blood. Meaning you can still acquire one more item that's at a -10 or higher. Same with HairyHeretic, I believe.

Even better. I think I know what fits best.

Gas Mask & Respirator (Best Quality, Acquisition of -10)

Jaded

I knew they didn't stack (though wasn't sure if they were mutually exclusive, I guess it depends on whether or not natural armour can be, uh, unnatural), I just figured he'd have the armour plating on top of the machine parts so would only benefit from the greater of the two.  If that isn't an option I can go with Machine (3). :-)  Though Machine 4 would be better ;)

I was trying to decided on a history for it, especially as I see it covered in gold inlay (or other decorations) and potentially a chaos symbol or two.  My thought was that the corpse was that of a guardsman, acquired and assembled while she was travelling on a pirate ship (or rogue trader vessel).  Though it could also be that she fell in with a cult for a little bit, who were (trying to) assemble an army of mechanical skeleton warriors, she happened to acquire one through barter or theft.  Though, bonus points if the skeleton is of some hero of the empire, and they are a bit... pissed about the theft and desecration. 

TheGlyphstone

Could/would she be able to steal the bones of her aunt? Nice loop into the backstory, and would set you up later down the road with emotional resonance to, if you were inclined, bind a demon into the body as an upgraded Servant.

HairyHeretic

For my additional item, I think a set of Torture Tools would be quite fitting.

As an aside, can you have non human minions? I seem to recall one of the books had an entry for Dark Eldar, and having an outcast Dark Eldar tagging along with me is quite an appealing idea.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Life on Mars

Quote from: deadmanshand on September 15, 2014, 04:08:13 AM
Corspefire - Flamer, Good Quality, Extended Magazine & Pain Vent Upgrades, Noxious Discharge Downgrade, Legacy of Pain, Merciless Pattern, Acquisition of -10

That looks right now and is significantly more thematic.

That neat, but it looks like the Book of Excess upgrades are considered separate items instead of just raising the Availability of the weapon they are put on, Pain Vents being an Extremely Rare item on their own. Given the choice I would just drop noxious discharge and pain vents. Not being able to see every round would get annoying real fast, I think.

Quote from: Jaded on September 15, 2014, 04:10:37 AM
I knew they didn't stack (though wasn't sure if they were mutually exclusive, I guess it depends on whether or not natural armour can be, uh, unnatural), I just figured he'd have the armour plating on top of the machine parts so would only benefit from the greater of the two.  If that isn't an option I can go with Machine (3). :-)  Though Machine 4 would be better ;)

I was trying to decided on a history for it, especially as I see it covered in gold inlay (or other decorations) and potentially a chaos symbol or two.  My thought was that the corpse was that of a guardsman, acquired and assembled while she was travelling on a pirate ship (or rogue trader vessel).  Though it could also be that she fell in with a cult for a little bit, who were (trying to) assemble an army of mechanical skeleton warriors, she happened to acquire one through barter or theft.  Though, bonus points if the skeleton is of some hero of the empire, and they are a bit... pissed about the theft and desecration. 

Oh, well as long as you know it's fine! It benefits from the Machine Trait without it armor anyway, so you can use the Nat Armor bonus since it's higher. You're reasoning is sound.

Any of those would be cool. Maybe a minor soritas hero? Or her aunt, like TheGlyphStone mentioned.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 15, 2014, 08:09:56 AM
For my additional item, I think a set of Torture Tools would be quite fitting.

As an aside, can you have non human minions? I seem to recall one of the books had an entry for Dark Eldar, and having an outcast Dark Eldar tagging along with me is quite an appealing idea.

You can totally have non human minions. The way the rules are set up they could be annoying, with GM permission. Only problem is that lesser minions tend to be weak, usually better as minor servants rather than things truly scary. You could try rolling his/her stats to get a weaker than average Dark Elder, like in Tomb of Excess describes.