What is a life truly worth in the world/society we live in?

Started by MiaFire, November 11, 2011, 01:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiaFire

This is a question that came about from a friend's text who asked... 'What is a life truly worth in the world/society we live in?'

I asked him what he meant and he said... 'I mean, look at the loss of life and the causes. Or at the way people treat other people. The way our society is. Looking at all that, how much is life worth any more?'

I had nothing to tell him but... "It's true but each person's life has the possibility to be priceless to at least one person they know or even might not know in their lives, making their life worth everything.

He came back with... 'Name the last person who died that was celebrated for the things he/she did for the world? (i.e. JFK)

This made me wonder if anyone else had a thought to his questions...
In the darkness of the mind and the shadows of imagination...
-

Starlequin

(I don't usually post in these boards anymore, because their topics generally lie outside my forte. However, it's late, I'm bored, and my burrito has a few more minutes until it cools. So, this.)

Worth? To who? Life, objectively speaking, is worth exactly the same now as it always has been: Nothing. Everything. With it, existence is filled with chaos, creativity, emotion, adventure, fear, joy, horror, lust, kindness, logic, art, macaroni and cheese, and Tom Selleck's mustache. Without it, existence is just a bunch of stuff, psychotic and pointless little atoms bouncing and spinning around in each other's gravity until they run out of energy and stop.

A meaningless answer, for a meaningless question.

Although even that is a better query than your friend's second question. 'Name the last person who died that was celebrated for the things s/he did for the world'? Pretty sure if he wants gravitas, there's probably a list of recently deceased Nobel Prize winners out there or something that will shut him up. But frankly, that strikes me as a rather juvenile question, to be honest. It seems selfish, and thoughtless, and needlessly confrontational. The World is a cold, cruel, and uncaring place, and I can't think of anyone who's ever done anything for 'it'. People who do things 'worth celebrating' do them for the ones they love, because they want to make the World a better place for those they care for. That is their world, and it's the only one that matters, because it matters to them. If I perfected cold fusion tomorrow, I wouldn't be doing it for 'the World'. I'd be doing it because the technology could benefit my family, my community, and myself. Everything else is just good, good gravy.

I think your answer to him was pretty spot on. It sounds to me like his angst engine is just running on overload. Tell him to dial it down a little, fix himself an ice cream sundae, go outside to look at the stars, and quit being an asshole. He'll thank you for it.  ;)
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: miafire on November 11, 2011, 01:09:16 AM
He came back with... 'Name the last person who died that was celebrated for the things he/she did for the world? (i.e. JFK)

This made me wonder if anyone else had a thought to his questions...
I agree with Starlequin completely, and the question above seems really strange to me. How does he define "someone who did something for the world"? In my opinion, those people are not only men like JFK, but also writers, musicians, activists..Even "little unknown people" can make a BIG difference in others' lives, even if they never get celebrated for it by the masses.
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Capone

All I could think after reading your friend's question was "Man, they really weren't paying attention to Facebook/Twitter/Google+ when Steve Jobs died".

As for my own feelings on the meaning of life, my personal faith and religion have me at what seems like conflicting answers. This life is meaningless, yet every life is precious. It's tough to actually feel that way, certainly. We are social creatures, and it is easiest to care about something when it is within the circle of our lives. Had a friend that you used to hang out with all the time, but after you moved away you dropped out of touch? That's natural. It's more uncommon to keep in touch with someone after being apart for so long.

Sometimes events far from us can emotionally impact us. A lot of times it is forgotten.

Nonetheless, I do believe lives our precious. Our life here is preparation for the after. It's like being raised from childhood to adulthood, when you finally leave to be out on your own. Those years are important in determining what sort of person you're going to be, and in our life, I feel what we learn down here and how we act will have a greater impact after.

This is coming from someone that believes in an afterlife, though, and with influence from faith. Other people's feelings and inspirations will vary based on other worldly influences.

Oniya

You could always scan through here:

http://www.fox8.com/entertainment/la-me-2011notables-gallery,0,6118122.photogallery

A few notables that I picked out:

Hal Kanter:  A writer who won Emmys for the Oscar telecasts, Kanter was the creator of the landmark TV show "Julia," the first sitcom to star an African American actress as a professional rather than a domestic. He was 92.

Elouise Cobell:  The Native American activist was the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit that accused the federal government of cheating Native Americans in its management of Indian land, resulting in a record $3.4-billion settlement. She was 65.

(Steve Jobs was already mentioned)

Fred Shuttlesworth:  Fred Shuttlesworth was the last of the civil rights movement's "Big Three." With the Revs. Martin Luther King Jr. and Ralph David Abernathy, he founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957. Above, Shuttlesworth, center, with King and Abernathy in 1963. Shuttlesworth died Oct. 5 at 89.

Ralph Steinman:  Ralph Steinman died just days before the Nobel committee announced he had won the Nobel Prize in Medicine. His heirs will still receive his share of the award because the Nobel committee did not know of his death. He and two others were honored for their work with the immune system. He was 68.

Wilson Greatbatch:  He invented the first practical implantable pacemaker. The electrical engineer's handmade device was named by the National Society of Professional Engineers in 1983 as one of the 10 greatest engineering contributions to society in the previous 50 years. He was 92.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

auroraChloe

Quote from: Starlequin on November 11, 2011, 01:52:03 AM
(I don't usually post in these boards anymore, because their topics generally lie outside my forte. However, it's late, I'm bored, and my burrito has a few more minutes until it cools. So, this.)
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Worth? To who? Life, objectively speaking, is worth exactly the same now as it always has been: Nothing. Everything. With it, existence is filled with chaos, creativity, emotion, adventure, fear, joy, horror, lust, kindness, logic, art, macaroni and cheese, and Tom Selleck's mustache. Without it, existence is just a bunch of stuff, psychotic and pointless little atoms bouncing and spinning around in each other's gravity until they run out of energy and stop.

Although even that is a better query than your friend's second question. 'Name the last person who died that was celebrated for the things s/he did for the world'? Pretty sure if he wants gravitas, there's probably a list of recently deceased Nobel Prize winners out there or something that will shut him up. But frankly, that strikes me as a rather juvenile question, to be honest. It seems selfish, and thoughtless, and needlessly confrontational. The World is a cold, cruel, and uncaring place, and I can't think of anyone who's ever done anything for 'it'. People who do things 'worth celebrating' do them for the ones they love, because they want to make the World a better place for those they care for. That is their world, and it's the only one that matters, because it matters to them. If I perfected cold fusion tomorrow, I wouldn't be doing it for 'the World'. I'd be doing it because the technology could benefit my family, my community, and myself. Everything else is just good, good gravy.

I think your answer to him was pretty spot on. It sounds to me like his angst engine is just running on overload. Tell him to dial it down a little, fix himself an ice cream sundae, go outside to look at the stars, and quit being an asshole. He'll thank you for it.  ;)

sometimes i wish Elliquiy had a button

glad you took the time to post, and i loved this... "Everything else is just good, good gravy." 

a/a 8/21/17

Story Tale

Don't forget Andy Rooney..

Not to mention all the lives we remember today for veterans and those serving.

Beguile's Mistress

Each and every life is worth more than we can dream.  None of us know how man live we touch ourselves.  How could we presume to judge the impact another has on the world.  One small act can turn a tide of destruction into a wave of victory over misfortune.  You can choose to be an instrument for good or sit and do nothing.  You make the choice for yourself.  No excuses.

Lilias

Quote from: miafire on November 11, 2011, 01:09:16 AM

If we go by strictly chronological order, that would have to be Steve Jobs. Although, when I'm asked a similar question, the first name that pops up is Mother Teresa. (And I bet that Muhammad Yunus will join the club when his time comes.)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

EliGodwin

Well thank you for taking the time to respond. :)

Ok, sorry I was being too general for your tastes I'm sorry. Lets say I was meaning how much is life worth to each person? A.k.a. you. If someone gave you a gun and told you to name your price on how much it would take for you to kill the man in the chair in front of you who you can see his face and all and did not know him, what would be your price? How much would it be for you to kill that stranger. and be completely honest don't lie please cause that would not only insult me but wouldn't make you look very good. Also Ill even throw this in, you can never get into trouble for killing him. Imagine it as if you where his executioner and the Mayor was the one offering the money or even President.

I must disagree with this comment but understand your point of view when the question was so generalized.

Ok, I can only hope that the reason for this comment was because you did not understand the first question better when you read it. I suppose that is to happen when it was written to someone who understood me personally and not someone else and so is mistaken. If I where asking the question to hundreds of people I did not know on a forum I would have asked it this way. "Who was the last person who was celebrated across the world like a super hero? As an Example, JFK." Now to explain why I originally asked was because I was having a very personal and emotional time because I had just had some really bad news delivered to me at the time that effects a lot of American's today and I was trying to think of some of those people that where celebrated at such high standard that it felt impossible to reach their heights. And the last one I could think of at the time was JFK. this wasn't a lack of knowing others more recent it was more of a fact of my memory was lacking at that moment because my mind was elsewhere but I was trying to get my mind off of the elsewhere. So again, I apologize for the misunderstanding and hope this clears issues.

Also, I see in later posts which I will try to get to all of them as soon as I can.

Hopefully this helps you understand where I was coming from on this situation and the questions I had. And in the future I hope you will see ... I'm not an "Asshole"

EliGodwin

Quote from: Izzie Aditi on November 11, 2011, 03:54:04 AM
I agree with Starlequin completely, and the question above seems really strange to me. How does he define "someone who did something for the world"? In my opinion, those people are not only men like JFK, but also writers, musicians, activists..Even "little unknown people" can make a BIG difference in others' lives, even if they never get celebrated for it by the masses.

And I totally agree that their are many differences and hope you now understand how I was defining the question. If not please let me know and ill be happy to expand on what I was asking for. :)

Oniya

Regarding the question about how much it would take for me to kill a complete stranger - i.e., one whose situation I know nothing about, including the reason that s/he is 'supposed to' die for.

They wouldn't be able to buy me.  No, not even if they offered to set me up with Bill Gates's bank account.  I would have to know the nature of the offense before they could even get me to pick up the gun.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Torch

Quote from: Oniya on December 04, 2011, 06:20:57 PM
They wouldn't be able to buy me. 

+1

Now, if it were a hypothetical situation where I'm given the choice that I must kill this person or one of my children dies, then yes, I'd pull the trigger.

But for money? No. Not a chance.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

EliGodwin

Quote from: Capone on November 11, 2011, 04:20:44 AM
All I could think after reading your friend's question was "Man, they really weren't paying attention to Facebook/Twitter/Google+ when Steve Jobs died".

Ok, I hope my explanation up at the top answers why I asked, but to your question of Steve Jobs, If I would have thought about his death I might have dismissed it because of the super hero status. At the same time tho I would probably have to concede that one due to the fact that he sort of was for being the creator of Apple computers. And such was held at a higher level and did a lot of good in his life.

As for my own feelings on the meaning of life, my personal faith and religion have me at what seems like conflicting answers. This life is meaningless, yet every life is precious. It's tough to actually feel that way, certainly. We are social creatures, and it is easiest to care about something when it is within the circle of our lives. Had a friend that you used to hang out with all the time, but after you moved away you dropped out of touch? That's natural. It's more uncommon to keep in touch with someone after being apart for so long.

Exactly the other point I was trying to make. And now I can actually give a GREAT example. I had a teacher this past semester that was an excellent instructor and good friend to all of the students. Well recently he lost a close friend to him whom he considers as a grandmother. Now I hope I say all this right because I want to be respectful to this because it meant so much to him. But she was either just about 110 years old. Her Birthday was in December. So she has lived all these years from 1900 to now and saw a lot in her lifetime. He said she still did everything except drive up until the last couple months. She cooked she cleaned she shopped everything. Anyways he asked her one day, "How do you feel?" (Sorry teach, but, Here's Yer Sign. lol) And she said, "Lonely." And she went on to explain that when she grew up, it was a time in age where you knew everyone who lived around you. You depended on everyone around you in your city or town.If you think about it she was right. There was no Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc. No major news channels. No TV. Heck the very first ever radio broadcast was when she was 8 years old. Town gossip WAS the news lol. And now, how many of you go see an elderly person? And I'm not meaning your mom and dad who is 50 or 60 for all of us younger people. but elderly 70, 80, 90, 100 year old elderly. and just sit and talk to them? I know I haven't. I hadn't thought of my selfishness and social networking lifestyle being so selfish. How many of your neighbors do you know?

Sometimes events far from us can emotionally impact us. A lot of times it is forgotten.

I completely agree.

Nonetheless, I do believe lives our precious. Our life here is preparation for the after. It's like being raised from childhood to adulthood, when you finally leave to be out on your own. Those years are important in determining what sort of person you're going to be, and in our life, I feel what we learn down here and how we act will have a greater impact after.

First I agree with the preparation for the after.

Second I agree that it's like children going to adulthood, but what are we teaching our children right now? What I see in society is a lot of bickering and complaining and letting politicians dictate our lives to us. Yes I know that is going to start another debate of what I mean so ill say this, yes we need a government no I do not care for the one we have now I hate lobbyists and yes I am part of the 99%. That said, in Kansas about a week or so ago a man had been arrested for kidnapping and now he is suing the victims because they told him they wouldn't call the cops but did breaking their verbal contract. The government tries to tell us than being GLBT (Gay Lesbian Bi Trans.) is a bad thing because its against the bible but then tells everyone that anything of any religion inside a classroom is wrong and shouldn't happen. Do we have a contradiction there? ok enough on that lol

This is coming from someone that believes in an afterlife, though, and with influence from faith. Other people's feelings and inspirations will vary based on other worldly influences.

And I whole heartedly agree and respect your comments. thank you.

EliGodwin

Quote from: Oniya on November 11, 2011, 11:11:13 AM
You could always scan through here:

(link delete to post the quote)

A few notables that I picked out:

Hal Kanter:  A writer who won Emmys for the Oscar telecasts, Kanter was the creator of the landmark TV show "Julia," the first sitcom to star an African American actress as a professional rather than a domestic. He was 92.

Elouise Cobell:  The Native American activist was the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit that accused the federal government of cheating Native Americans in its management of Indian land, resulting in a record $3.4-billion settlement. She was 65.

(Steve Jobs was already mentioned)

Fred Shuttlesworth:  Fred Shuttlesworth was the last of the civil rights movement's "Big Three." With the Revs. Martin Luther King Jr. and Ralph David Abernathy, he founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957. Above, Shuttlesworth, center, with King and Abernathy in 1963. Shuttlesworth died Oct. 5 at 89.

Ralph Steinman:  Ralph Steinman died just days before the Nobel committee announced he had won the Nobel Prize in Medicine. His heirs will still receive his share of the award because the Nobel committee did not know of his death. He and two others were honored for their work with the immune system. He was 68.

Wilson Greatbatch:  He invented the first practical implantable pacemaker. The electrical engineer's handmade device was named by the National Society of Professional Engineers in 1983 as one of the 10 greatest engineering contributions to society in the previous 50 years. He was 92.

Ok, Ill answer this one real quick. I hope my explanation in the first one helps narrow the field down for you. Now yes all of these have done very notable things in our world, but as I said in my first reply I'm sorry but I was meaning it in a different manner I'm sorry.

EliGodwin

Quote from: najlah on November 11, 2011, 03:26:32 PM
Don't forget Andy Rooney..

Not to mention all the lives we remember today for veterans and those serving.

Yes, I am sorry I didn't mention this in the first post, but the Military will ALWAYS be Number one in my book for what they do. I only didn't mention them first because I was thinking more in a single person since, but even now as I type this I can think of several celebrated military strategists. And this Text was sent Before Andy Rooney died, but at the same time I would give him props for being the newscaster he was, but I don't see him as celebrated as JFK was. And when I say Celebrated I'm not meaning by just the adults, but the teens. who does everyone look up to? who does everyone want to be or be with?

EliGodwin

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 11, 2011, 03:49:42 PM
Each and every life is worth more than we can dream.  None of us know how man live we touch ourselves.  How could we presume to judge the impact another has on the world.  One small act can turn a tide of destruction into a wave of victory over misfortune.  You can choose to be an instrument for good or sit and do nothing.  You make the choice for yourself.  No excuses.

Exactly why I am a proud member of the Occupy Movement and a straight supporter of the Pride Alliance and GLBT movements.

EliGodwin

Quote from: Lilias on November 11, 2011, 06:14:24 PM
If we go by strictly chronological order, that would have to be Steve Jobs. Although, when I'm asked a similar question, the first name that pops up is Mother Teresa. (And I bet that Muhammad Yunus will join the club when his time comes.)

Yes and again I apologize, I was just having a rough time remembering, not stating a fact. Yes Mother Teresa is one I would personally add to the list, but do me a favor... ask your children who she is just by name. Ask a random child at church who she was just by name. You may be surprised at how many don't know who she is. May even be able to ask people all the way to the age of 21 and they probably wont know who you where talking about. Or will only know very little. As for Muhammad Yunus, I don't even know who that is, but will later look up information on him.

EliGodwin

Quote from: Oniya on December 04, 2011, 06:20:57 PM
Regarding the question about how much it would take for me to kill a complete stranger - i.e., one whose situation I know nothing about, including the reason that s/he is 'supposed to' die for.

They wouldn't be able to buy me.  No, not even if they offered to set me up with Bill Gates's bank account.  I would have to know the nature of the offense before they could even get me to pick up the gun.

Now I dare you to go out and find a TV News group and an anonymous survey team that keeps all answers anonymously to go out and ask that question. 90% would repeat your answer to the TV Crew, and I would hazard a guess that 85% of people would give a price to the anonymous survey team.

Oniya

I'm fairly sure that it wouldn't be possible to find any person that appeals to 'everyone' to the same degree as JFK.  You might be able to find someone that most of the over-50-set admires, and a different person that the under-30-set admires, and a third person that the liberal-set admires, and a fourth that the conservative-set admires, and so forth.

One of the hazards of having a world full of differing viewpoints.  I had to put 'everyone' in quotes because I know there were some people that privately considered JFK to be a danger to America as they saw it - not that they'd dare to say such a thing in a room full of New Englanders. ;)

Not that there is a complete stratification - I've been told (by outsiders) that I'm not the right age/gender/socioeconomic class to associate with certain ideologies - and I'll say that's bollocks.

EliGodwin

Quote from: Torch on December 04, 2011, 06:38:32 PM
+1

Now, if it were a hypothetical situation where I'm given the choice that I must kill this person or one of my children dies, then yes, I'd pull the trigger.

But for money? No. Not a chance.

Same answer as above. And to your hypothetical situation, yes 99.9999999% of people would do the same thing. But in this case I'm asking to get the best response for worth. Thus why I made it a person you didn't know. But If I where to say your boss or someone who raped your wife, then in that case the answer would be different. but to get an accrual worth of a human life you mast ask the question about a true strangers life.

EliGodwin

Quote from: Oniya on December 04, 2011, 07:12:32 PM
I'm fairly sure that it wouldn't be possible to find any person that appeals to 'everyone' to the same degree as JFK.  You might be able to find someone that most of the over-50-set admires, and a different person that the under-30-set admires, and a third person that the liberal-set admires, and a fourth that the conservative-set admires, and so forth.

One of the hazards of having a world full of differing viewpoints.  I had to put 'everyone' in quotes because I know there were some people that privately considered JFK to be a danger to America as they saw it - not that they'd dare to say such a thing in a room full of New Englanders. ;)

Not that there is a complete stratification - I've been told (by outsiders) that I'm not the right age/gender/socioeconomic class to associate with certain ideologies - and I'll say that's bollocks.

I completely agree on many of your points. And I know not EVERYONE is going to like the same person. That would be idiotic of myself to do so and did not mean to make it sound as such. But I believe you understood my meaning. And I agree that's the mindset of a close minded person.

Oniya

Quote from: EliGodwin on December 04, 2011, 07:10:33 PM
Now I dare you to go out and find a TV News group and an anonymous survey team that keeps all answers anonymously to go out and ask that question. 90% would repeat your answer to the TV Crew, and I would hazard a guess that 85% of people would give a price to the anonymous survey team.

You'd also have to take into account what the relation of the 'asker' is to the person asked to shoot.  You may want to look into the 'Milgram Experiment'  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment ), known around my college campus as the 'I vass only followink OHR-derz' experiment.  (Tongue firmly planted in cheek.)  Random guy comes up to me and says 'you have to shoot that random guy and I won't tell you why' - um - eff that.  Full-bird colonel comes up to a private and says 'You have to shoot that man over there, that's an order!' - you'll see a completely different dynamic.

meikle

Quote from: miafire on November 11, 2011, 01:09:16 AMLooking at all that, how much is life worth any more?'

The idea that life is becoming less valuable seems really weird to me, especially in the US, though I'd be surprised if there's more than pockets across the globe where it's not the case.

It's hard for me to think that life is valued less today than it has been in the past, when I consider the falling support for capital punishment, the decreasing cases of capital punishment, the fact that we used to let people buy and sell humans as a commodity (and that we no longer do), etc.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Will

Quote from: EliGodwin on December 04, 2011, 07:16:05 PM
Same answer as above. And to your hypothetical situation, yes 99.9999999% of people would do the same thing. But in this case I'm asking to get the best response for worth. Thus why I made it a person you didn't know. But If I where to say your boss or someone who raped your wife, then in that case the answer would be different. but to get an accrual worth of a human life you mast ask the question about a true strangers life.

It's a little disingenuous to discount sincere answers to a question you asked.  Maybe it was just a rhetorical question?  Personally, I couldn't be bought either, and that's assuming it was a total stranger.  Maybe those who could be are less likely to answer your question, but just based on this thread, it would seem that your assumptions are pretty well off the mark.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac