News:

Main Menu

Jack Black - Discuss

Started by TheAnimeFanGirl, August 25, 2008, 12:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAnimeFanGirl

I just feel like talking about my #1 favorite actor, Jack Black. ^_^

What do you think of him? Personally, he's one of the funniest guys I have ever seen. Every movie I've seen with him in it, I absolutely loved him. I wish I could meet him, but it's just not possible. Oh well, I can always dream (I didn't mean that sexually... Or did I? Lol, kust kidding. I'm not like that... Or am I?).

Also, if anyone knows of any forums dedicated to him, let me know. Also, feel free to post pictures/links to pictures of him here. Can't have too much Jack Black.  ;D
Cid the Lilty ♥ Viraveth the Selkie

(PM me if you'd like to rp with me in instant messengers)

Characters I'd like others to rp as

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.

The Overlord

Black is a mixed bag for me. In some sense he's a very unlikely celebrity because he seems like the guy that lived down the street that you used to play Advanced D&D with...the one who played the crazy rogue or cleric and really got into his RP at the table over a few beers. If he was never a gamer past or present, I'd be absolutely shocked.

IMO, he is a funny guy, but he's like that age-old phrase you see on T-shirts and hanging on a wall plaque in your uncle's bathroom; if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

If you ask me, he's 1 part brilliant, 2 parts bullshit. Brilliant enough to know how to market himself. With Tenacious D he ripped through some Zeppelin-inspired tracks and launched into string of prose that sounded like they were written and rehearsed in 20 minutes, yet he assumed the mantle of rockstar. As an actor he gives us this interesting vacant wittiness that gets him on the big screen.

This is not a slam against the man, I like him, I'm just partially baffled that he got popular.

ShrowdedPoet

. . .I really. . .*sighs*  He has done good in some of his movies and he is kind of funny but it seems to be the same thing every time for him.  ROCK. . .and drugs. . .  I just don't really like him that much.  He tries to make being an idiot look cool when really it is not. 
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Caity

I like him a lot.  But a lot of the times he takes it overboard with the silliness.  I like him in some movies, and others I've never watched cause they look so stupid (Nacho Libre).  I loved him in The Holiday and in School of Rock.   And he was in an episode of the X-Files when he was like 15 where he was excellent.

His music - I don't care for it.  :p

TheAnimeFanGirl

I see, you all have your opinions. I still think he's one of the best comedy actors there is. Still waiting to see if anyone can post links to forums and/or pics.

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.

Trieste

I think Jack Black has marketed his image nicely. He is That Guy. The fun one. The one that you want at your games because he is amusing. Given the choice between the guy who gets way into character and rambles about his crazy cleric, and the guy who takes his gaming as Serious Business and refuses to even give you one line of IC dialogue without sitting there and expounding on the philosophy of their character and why each word is included in the sentence... I'll take the crazy cleric any day. That and he's probably going to end up doing something crazy like marching into a horde of kobolds in nothing more than his tightey-whiteys, swearing at them in a crappy brogue armed with nothing more than a toothpick and a smile. And then the party will have to go save him, or get to watch what happens, or any number of other things. And action will happen. While Mister Philosophical Dissertation rambles in the background.

It's fun. Everyone likes fun.

And, to oblige Anime:

TheAnimeFanGirl

Yay, a picture! More would be appreciated, please and thank you. ^_^

King_Furby

Funny but man his early stuff can really be nasty. Some of the songs he did are very very nasty. Good thing he kind of reformed his image for nick. Funny guy though, he is much more entertaining recently, he used to be pretty much just a filth singing funny man.

He actually does one song that literally has to be one of the best ever made. Tribute is a fantastic song.

He has some really nasty songs one titled "fuck her gently"

I enjoyed seeing him in other things then just comedy.

TheAnimeFanGirl

I don't mind the perverted songs at all. Tribute and The Metal are pretty good.

Lilias

Not a favourite, but Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny is up there with my best-enjoyed films of all time.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Mathim

Some of his movies are fun, but like with Will Smith in I Am Legend, the man doth not maketh the movie, the movie maketh the man. With boring/bad/predictable scripts (School of Rock) he's not really able to shine. Things that are more off-the-wall are just as bad (Nacho Libre) because it's just embarrassing to watch things like that, to me at least. I think a more balanced role, where he's part of the cast and not the main guy (Tropic Thunder) is a better place for him. He's a funny guy but there's subtle funny and slapstick funny, and the latter is getting really old.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Caity

I love School of Rock.  I watch it when I want to watch something just insanely happy and fun.  :)