what is the difference?

Started by zetzal, January 28, 2013, 09:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zetzal

Sorry if I seem dense right now, but the otherday I saw a post on another site, "will do supernatural but not fantasy." so, is there a difference,or were they talking about the show Supernatural?

Mithlomwen

That's a tough one.  Could be they were referring to the show.  Another possibility is that they may see 'supernatural' as things such as werewolves and vampires, and 'fantasy' as something more along the lines of Lord of the Rings, with Elves and orks and things such as that.
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oniya

If I saw something like that here, my first instinct would be to ask the person, assuming that the plot I was going to propose had something that could fit into both categories.  Elves are pretty solidly fantasy.  Ghosts are pretty much supernatural.  Werewolves might tread the line, as might demons and a few other things.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

zetzal

That's what I thought, kinda like supernatural is fantasy's dark creepy cousin thanks for clearing that up for me.

Oniya

Quote from: zetzal on January 28, 2013, 10:52:36 AM
supernatural is fantasy's dark creepy cousin

I like that definition.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

zetzal

Thank you, i'm just full of funny observations.