[NC-E] Werewolf Mountain

Started by The Great Triangle, September 09, 2008, 09:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

Well, I'm interested in starting up an interlocking Vampire and Werewolf game in the nWOD, and that means I'll be recruiting a werewolf pack!

I'm quite happy to run this game for system n00bs, even if I have to explain concepts like rolling dice. 

The basic plot of the game is that you are a member of a pack of werewolves in the cascade mountains, spreading a furry, alpine reign of terror from Seattle to British Columbia.  Except not really.  In fact, you guys are just preserving the balance between the mortal world and the spirit world, keeping dangerous monsters from slipping in through the cracks in the shadow, and keeping humans from devastating the spiritual landscape.  It's a tricky job, and Seattle's massive vampire population doesn't make it any easier.  To make things worse, off on the other side of the mountains lie the pure tribes, a bunch of werewolves who want to end the seperation between the physical and spiritual worlds, therefore creating a hunters paradise.  Incedentally, this plan involves the genocide of your tribes of werewolves, the forsaken tribes.  Fortunately, with mother Luna to guide you, you might just have a chance to survive.

Werewolves in the new world of darkness are most commonly born from the union of a werewolf and a human of werewolf ancestry, although they also arise from the union of a werewolf and a human, and rarely from the union of two wolf blooded.  The results of two werewolves breeding with each other are... unpleasant, to say the least. 

A werewolf first learns they are a wolf upon their first transformation.  This is a traumatic event which permanently alters a werwolf's soul based on the phase of the moon at the time they became a werewolf.  This alteration is known as a werewolf's Auspice.  A breif description follows:

Full Moon: (Rahu)  A full moon werewolf is a brutal savage and killing machine, who acquires the renown of Purity through his or her undivided emotions.  Such werewolves make excellent, but dangerous, Alphas.

Waxing Moon: (Cahalith)  A waxing moon werewolf is inspired to lunacy by the power of the moon.  They howl and inspire their comrades, receiving prophecies from mother Luna.  They are drawn to the renown of Glory.

Half Moon: (Elodoth)  A half moon werewolf is perfectly balanced between his or her human and animal sides, and takes this balance to enable a flexible and diplomatic appraoch to life.  This grants them the renown of Honor.

Crescent Moon: (Ithaeur)  Crescent moon werewolves are taught the secrets of the universe by mother Luna, and use these secrets to enact powerful rituals to appease the spirits.  They are renowned for their Wisdom.

New Moon:  New Moon werewolves learn the arts of secrecy and stealth.  Renowned for their Cunning, such werewolves are ideal scouts and infiltrators, although they're rarely alphas.

In  additon to a werewolf's auspice, they also join a Tribe which provides them with additonal renown and training in using their supernatural powers.  There are five tribes dedicated to preserving the balance between the physical and spiritual worlds.

Blood Talons: Warrior wolves who embrace Glory in rooting out the enemies of the werewolves.

Bone Shadows: Mystics who employ Cunning to understand and exploit the spirit world, as well as the world of the dead.

Hunters in Darkness: Stealthy guardians of nature who defend Purity in the natural world.

Iron Masters: Reformist werewolves who greatly admire Cunning and embrace technology to its fullest.

Storm Lords: Natural leaders who, for Honor, allow no one to tend to their weakness.

Ghost Wolves: Lone wolves who did not or could not join a tribe.  They are signifigantly weaker than their companions among tribes, because they lack as much renown.

Werwolves are all capable of shapeshifting and regeneration, but their true strength comes from their ability to manipulate a force called Renown.  This force enables werewolves to convince the spirits of the shadow realm to teach them ancient secrets, and increase their power.  Renown is gained through great deeds, and a werewolf with sufficiently high renown may very well be recognized as a minor god by the spirits. 
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Character Sheet:

Abilities:

Power:     Finesse:     Resistance:

Mental Skills:

Academics:    Crafts:      Investigation:

Physical Skills:

Athletics:     Combat:     Stealth:

Social Skills:

Persuasion:   Socialize:    Streetwise:

Renown:

Cunning:   Honor:   Glory:   Purity:   Wisdom:

Gifts:

Merits:

Harmony:

Willpower:    Health:     Defense:    Essence:    Primal Urge:

Character Creation: 

All abilities start at one.  You get to add three points worth of increases.  After that, you get three ability specialties. 

Specialties add a +1 bonus to any dice pool or stat involving them, or a +2 bonus if they represent a very narrow specialty.  The same +1 specialty may be selected twice to increase it to a +2 specialty.  Common Power Specialties: Strength, Intellegence, Charisma.   Common Finesse Specialties: Dexterity, Wits, Manipulation.  Common Resistnace Specialties: Stamina, Resolve, Composure

All skills start at 0.  Choose a primary skill area  (physical, mental or social), and add 5 points worth of skills to the skill categories in that primary skill area.  Select a secondary skill area, and add four points worth of skills to the skill categories in that area.  Finally, add 3 points worth of skills to the skill catagories in your tertiary skill area.  A character may not start with a skill rated at level five or higher.  After distributing skill dots, add 6 skill specialties.  Skill specialties work the same as ability specialties.

Gain 7 points of merits.  All merits from second sight, armory, reliquary, Werewolf: the Forsaken, and werewolf supplements are allowed.  Merits of particular note include Iron Stamina (ignore pain, 1-3 points), Mentor (someone to teach you the ropes, 1-5 points), Totem (A guardian spirit for your pack, 1-7 points), Contacts (people who owe your favors, 1 point per person or orginization), and Common Sense (you know the tropes of horror movies.  4 points.)  You may also spend merit points to raise your primal urge for 3 points per point of primal urge.  Primal urge isn't a very useful stat, so you should probobly just sink the points into Totem if you can't think of good merits that fit your character.

You gain 2-3 points of renown at character creation.  You gain the primary renown of your Auspice and Tribe, plus one point of renown to allocate to a category of your choice.  Each point of renown gives your character a free gift, and your character may never learn a gift rated higher than his or her highest renown.  Consult someone who has the books to learn what gifts you get.

Harmony starts at 7, but may be reduced by up to 2 points to receive 5 xp per point.  If your character reduces his or her harmony to 5, he or she gains a mild mental illness.

Health is equal to Resistance + 5, Defense is equal to Finesse, Willpower is equal to twice Resistance, and starting essence is equal to harmony.

Experience costs:

(don't bother with this during character creation unless you sold your harmony.  Bastard.)

Abilities: 12 x new dot  (e.g. 24 xp for the first point, 36 xp for  the thrid point, 48 xp for the fourth point, ect.)
Skills: 9 x new dot
Ability Specialty: 8 points
Skill Specialty: 4 points
Merit: 2 x new dot
Affinity Gift: 5 x new dot (plus 3 x the number of lower ranked gifts on the gift list not known)
Other Gift: 7 x new dot (plus 3 x the number of lower ranked gifts on the gift list not known)
Primal Urge: 6 x new dot
Primary Renown: 6 x new dot (get a free gift!)
Other Renown: 8 x new dot (get a free gift!)
Harmony: 3 x new dot
Morality: 2 x new dot

Ons and Offs

Caehlim

Count me as 100% interested while I figure out what kind of character I'd like to play.

I have been storyteller for nWoD werewolf before but never had a chance to play in it and I've been longing to give it a try. I'll just take a minute to remember everything since it's been a few years, I also need to pick up my books from down the road. I've read the werewolf book and territories.

Oh, also I'm 100% fine (nay, enthusiastic) with NC-E but could you give a bit of an explanation about how you expect it to come up in the game and what limitations there are on it. Particularly regarding sexuality, would we be seeing M/M at all or just M/F.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

The Great Triangle

Werewolves are fairly agressive, passionate creatures.  They maintain deceptive relaionships with mortals to propagate their race, and also as their only legitimate form of sexual release.  (Actually, I might put the game in extreme if some of the players are interested in bestiality.) 

M/F and M/M are possible, as is F/F.  And of course, I can't completely discount the possibility of being tentacle raped by a spirit of lust if I end up gainaxing in the middle of the chronicle.   (which I surely will.)

Ons and Offs

Caehlim

Sounds good.

I'd be interested in playing a Male Elodoth Iron Master, perhaps a bit of a computer geek who is growing into the primal nature of his birthright.

I see him taking on roles in a pack as an information gatherer and diplomat, certainly not an alpha though possibly a beta. A little unsure of himself but keen to learn and master the duality of his nature. Submissive to a point but has a core of iron when he's pushed too far. Favours knowledge and science over mysticism, even when approaching the supernature.

He's worked hard to develop what he believes he needs as a werewolf. He's studied martial arts, survivalism and bulked up his body through working out. Ultimately though he hasn't yet converted this theoretical knowledge to practical applications and will need to learn the hard way exactly what is needed.

However he loves being a Uratha, there's never a moments doubt in him that this is exactly what he's meant to be. 100% about pack, he's loyal and structured prepared to accept pack discipline. He understands the human side of himself very well and is working to understand the sides of him that are spirit or wolf. He has memorised the oath of the moon and takes it very seriously.

That's just what I'm thinking so far.

Edit: Oh, just an afterthought. I can see this character having some bestiality relations and I'm happy to play them out but I don't really mind if it's on screen or just assumed to occur off-screen. Whatever makes the game easier.

Caehlim

Character Sheet:

Abilities:

Power: 3    Finesse: 2    Resistance: 1

Charisma +1
Intelligence +1
Wits +1

Academics: Academics, Science
Crafts: Craft, Computer, Medicine   
Investigation: Investigation, Occult, Politics

Athletics: Athletics, Drive, Survival
Combat: Brawl, Firearms, Weaponry
Stealth: Larceny, Stealth

Persuasion: Animal Ken, Intimidation, Persuasion
Socialize: Empathy, Expression, Socialize
Streetwise: Streetwise, Subterfuge

Mental Skills:

Academics: 1   Crafts: 2     Investigation: 2

*(Note: I switched around academics and crafts as I hadn't grasped exactly what they were at first).

Craft Specialty: Computer +1
Craft Specialty: Building improvised survival items +2
Investigation Specialty: Tracking +2

Physical Skills:

Athletics: 2    Combat: 1    Stealth: 1

Combat specialty: Wrestling (brawl) +2
Athletics specialty: Survival +1

Social Skills:

Persuasion: 2  Socialize: 1   Streetwise: 0

Streetwise specialty: Fake identities (subterfuge) +2
Socialize specialty: Empathy +1

Renown:

Cunning: 1   Honor: 1  Glory:   Purity:   Wisdom: 1

Gifts:

Merits:

Mentor 2 pts
Resources 2 pts
Iron Stamina 1 pt
Totem 2 pts

Harmony: 7

Willpower: 2   Health: 6     Defense: 2   Essence: 7   Primal Urge: 1

The Great Triangle

Looks pretty good.  Which tribe and auspice are you going for?  hehe, forgot to read all the posts.   :-[

You are missing your skill specialties.  If you talk about your concept a bit more, I can help you with that.  I did forget the auspice skill specialty in my character creation directions. 

Here's the list of folded in skills:

Academics: Academics, Science
Crafts: Craft, Computer, Medicine   
Investigation: Investigation, Occult, Politics

Athletics: Athletics, Drive, Survival
Combat: Brawl, Firearms, Weaponry
Stealth: Larceny, Stealth

Persuasion: Animal Ken, Intimidation, Persuasion
Socialize: Empathy, Expression, Socialize
Streetwise: Streetwise, Subterfuge

Ons and Offs

Caehlim

I've updated above. As for my character concept.

I see him as perhaps 24-26, a college graduate with a computer degree. Comes from a peaceful home with upper-middleclass parents, perhaps they're both wolf-blooded or perhaps the father isn't actually his father, either way he doesn't know himself.

He did very well at first, ended up in a good computing job. However had difficulty concentrating, felt unusual primal urges that he didn't understand. Quit and took a basic job, maybe in a factory somewhere. Travelled a bit to figure out what was going on with himself.

Discovers he's a werewolf after getting hunted and bitten by one. Since then has been working to master the skills of the Uratha but has taken a very literal and studious approach to it.

Understanding his werewolf nature has allowed him to make peace with himself and he's now able to concentrate again and lets out his primal urges as they need to be.

I know it's still a little broad and unspecific. Give me a little while to think about it and I'll come up with something a bit more interesting and in depth.

The Great Triangle

Alright.  Got any ideas on what merits you want to take?  Mentor might be a natural one, if your character developed a personal relationship with the wolf who bit him.

Also, you get seven skill specialties, and I only count three.  (6 specialties, plus an extra one for being a werewolf.)

Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

Oh gawd I'm so confused GT *laughs*

I'm in as long as everyone else will understand I don't know crap about NWoD or systems...and this will be my very first "adventure" game.  So if everyone is cool with an uber newbie playing...I'm in. ;)

(GT I'll catch up with you later for the character creation...or maybe Dragoon can call me)

Jeramiahh

Heh; don't feel bad, Green; I'm an experienced system gamer, but I've never touched any of the WoD games. GT's walked me through building a character... I'll probably post it sometime tonight, since I still need to piece together the backstory from the bits and pieces I wrote already.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Greenthorn

Quote from: Jeramiahh on September 10, 2008, 11:41:08 PM
Heh; don't feel bad, Green; I'm an experienced system gamer, but I've never touched any of the WoD games. GT's walked me through building a character... I'll probably post it sometime tonight, since I still need to piece together the backstory from the bits and pieces I wrote already.

I'll just be tagging along...following everyone else's lead.  *laughs*

Storiwyr

I am absolutely, totally interested.

Will need some time to review the system and make a character sheet. :) But I do actually have the book for it, I believe. I just get confused easily. XD
Lords, get to know me before you snuggle all over me. Sorry, but I get a little anxious! Ladies and Lieges, cuddles are always welcome, read my O/O for more detailed info.
"There's no need to argue anymore. I gave all I could, but it left me so sore. And the thing that makes me mad, is the one thing that I had. I knew, I knew, I'd lose you."

The Great Triangle

Alright, just make sure and mind the variant character creation rules I posted.   :)

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

I wouldn't mind playing a kinfolk a human of werewolf ancestory likely from a fertile line that seems to make lots of werwolves so she would be in demand for breeding (could have special merit Very Fertile maybe) who is also useful. Maybe in the law enforcement system somewhere like the County Coroner who could have all the key positions with "friendlies" to hide anything odd. Besides being a medical doctor for the county hospital by default so can cover up anything odd.

No books so this would be easier.

The Great Triangle

You'd have to pick either police officer or doctor, but a werewolf groupie would be a nice character to have.  :)

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Well in that case since she likely will be making lots of babies I'll pick the head of the local community hospital the political appointee (thanks to all those kinfolk) and the county coroner, so would be an M.D.

And I'll make her bisexual she will favor women for relationships and men for breeding. But be selective she can afford to be the werewolf leaders need her to cover up evidence and all.
;D

The Great Triangle

Alright, I suppose that can work.  Remember that werewolves aren't as organized as vampires, the werewolf leaders most likely aren't working on containing masquerade breaches, since they have bigger problems to worry about.  (the lunacy is also something of an auto cover up)  Her baby making is, however very important to the werewolves, although I'll still need the approval of the other players to employ someone like your character.  I certainly don't doubt that the players would want an attractive bisexual concubine who helps keep their secrets though.  :)

(My current setting write up calls for about 20-30 werewolves in northwestern Washington state, so they aren't exactly very political.)

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

True but heck having a sympathetic kinfolk in the system can't be that bad to aim for, and voting is still required for coroner in most counties so all they needed was to get the non-werewolf kinfolk into the voting booths. Not hard with enough family members in the extended normal population supporting one of their own. Just a few respected families could do that in many smaller counties.

And as a coroner she would get access to crime scenes and handle evidence they may not be big promoted their secrecy but major breeches are kind of important. The Feds come in heaven help them those bastards might have X-File like agents around or worst tabloid reporters.
;D

I was thinking a brother and sister team could share her, the brother to make babies and the sister to get off and have someone to talk to that is a kind shoulder to rest on.

Josietta

*jumps on the Rahu Storm Lord*  Unless I can see a good Alpha to knock me down a couple notches (IC) i'm all over it! Just gimme a couple days to read the books and write it up as I am new to the nWoD.. it can't be too different from systematics of oWoD. *nods*

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

The Great Triangle

That would be an interesting relationship, although I'd prefer you went and found someone to play the brother sister pair or talked two of the werewolf players into being brother and sister.

The main trouble is dealing with your merit spread, although you'll find things a bit easier if you use the Blood of the wolf version of the wolf blooded merit.  I'll give you the extra fertile merit for two dots, the same cost as the sexualized merit from Ghouls.  You'll need Status (Coroner) 3 to cover your coronership, and you'll probobly want the two dot merit "hard to ride" to keep the spirits from messing with your unborn children.

The blood of the wolf version of wolf blooded goes from two to five dots, with the following effects:

2: Free animal ken specialty in dogs, 30% chance to have a Uratha child when mating with an Uratha.
3: Resistance to the Lunacy, 35% chance to have a Uratha child when mating with an Uratha.
4: Ability to sense and detect spirits, 40% chance to have a Uratha child when mating with an Uratha
5: Quick healer merit, stacks with quick healer, 45% chance to have a Uratha child when mating with an Uratha

Drawback: -1 penalty to resolve + composure rolls to keep one's cool or avoid derangement, attracts spirits like crazy.

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Ok I can tweak a character most of her skills will be mental anyway and social for good bedside manner, fighting is kind of secondary in her case besides Occult (Specialty: Werewolf Culture) since she would know about them and politics. Mostly from her family I will make her father a werewolf and lets see if mom had 15 children with twins perhaps more than once among the children that would make roughly 6 werewolves, pretty impressive. I'm sure that would make HER very desirable as a mate plus she is educated. I will go for the fertile part then and let the male werewolves fight over her hand and just make her a medical doctor lets see Status (medical doctor). It will give her access and prestige and she can have a private practice maybe be the main doctor in town or run the medical clinic, a small town doctor.

Concept: Desirable Mate

Less pretigious but will make her part of the werewolf community as much as a non-werewolf can be.

The Great Triangle

Indeed, quite a desirable mate.  At least for those looking to propagate the species.  ;)

I think most of the werewolves from your character's family will have ended up brainwashed by the pure tribes at campaign start, although one or two might be supporting characters in an NPC pack.  You could of course propose the idea of relations to your character's family to other werewolf players.

Also, if you want a private practice, you'll need resources.  Most likely around 3, unless you're clinic is terribly in debt or small and underequipped.  (If you don't own the practice, then your status covers it.)

Also, you do get 11 merit dots as a mortal, which should help. 

and, if all else fails, you could always make her a shady abortion clinic operator whose clinic is actually a medical facility for injured werewolves.  (specialty: long term care for silver injured wolves)   :)

Ons and Offs

Greenthorn

Dragoon said he's in..will post a sheet asap.

RubySlippers

Quote from: The Great Triangle on September 11, 2008, 05:06:28 PM
Indeed, quite a desirable mate.  At least for those looking to propagate the species.  ;)

I think most of the werewolves from your character's family will have ended up brainwashed by the pure tribes at campaign start, although one or two might be supporting characters in an NPC pack.  You could of course propose the idea of relations to your character's family to other werewolf players.

Also, if you want a private practice, you'll need resources.  Most likely around 3, unless you're clinic is terribly in debt or small and underequipped.  (If you don't own the practice, then your status covers it.)

Also, you do get 11 merit dots as a mortal, which should help. 

and, if all else fails, you could always make her a shady abortion clinic operator whose clinic is actually a medical facility for injured werewolves.  (specialty: long term care for silver injured wolves)   :)

Clinic as in a free clinic funded by charity, county funds and a sliding fee scale it will have some beds and a basic operating room sort of a place for the uninsured to come in for care. I will take the Virtue CHARITY to cover that aspect. And she would work with the state medical schools to give students practical experience in a rural setting and its free labor. All the drugs will be generics and the kind one could get in bulk cheap to cover all the basic medical conditions and what drug companies would give her. Any serious cases would have to go to Seattle to a real hospital.

Will make her less prestigious due to rank but give her respect that can be good for throwing off suspicion since the hard working kindly woman is helping the needy folks for little pay.