What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

The only thing about Homefront that I don't like is that there is no Demo. :/ A new IP with no Demo kinda worried me just a little.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on February 23, 2011, 07:24:49 PM
The stealth guy who never learns a weapon is screwed. The stealth guy who learns pistol is only mildly screwed. You need a shotgun or an assault rifle in any game you play.

I disagree with this statement, completely. My last time playing it, I had nothing but a few points in pistols, with everything else going into things like stealth and other practical things. I had no trouble at all. If anything, once I got chain shot, it got way too easy.

QuoteAlso really kind of unrelated. I went to Rome first after Saudi Arabia, but I'm really not seeing how my missions change depending on how I complete them. Sure little things change, but it's hardly as dynamic as I thought it would be.

How far did you get / where did you go after Rome? I went to Rome first, too, on my first character, and I had the same impression. I think the effects of your actions elsewhere are more visible. In particular with the most awesome faction in the game.

Quote from: Wolfy on February 23, 2011, 07:59:15 PM
The only thing about Homefront that I don't like is that there is no Demo. :/ A new IP with no Demo kinda worried me just a little.

I think Homefront is going to be a pretty forgettable game, honestly. While I absolutely love the setting ( did someone say Red Dawn? ), the game itself looks ... eh, dull, from what I've seen. A game like that needs to be in the format of Call of Duty. Cinematic, scripted, intense.

Wolfy

See, that's why I'm so undecided between Homefront and Crysis 2. :/

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on February 23, 2011, 08:33:16 PM
See, that's why I'm so undecided between Homefront and Crysis 2. :/

Based on the trailer that's been out for a while, Crysis 2 will be dull, too. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about the gameplay, the pace of it, all that, just wasn't appealing to me. I'm more excited about F3AR, which was supposed to be released on the same day as Crysis 2... but even that is prbably going to be worse than the first two. Co-op in a horror game? Yeah, spooky stuff.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on February 23, 2011, 07:24:49 PM
Still playing Alpha Protocol. I'm a little mad at it. I'm fighting a guy twice my age in hand to hand combat and he kicks my ass. Martial arts is one of my specialties damn it.

So, I'm going to render what I think is a balanced look at Alpha Protocol. Is it a bad game? Technically speaking yes. The mechanics of a game that requires a lot more of a soft touch for sneaking and what not. The mechanics (not the rpg elements) range from bad to broken at times. Mix in a bunch of Obsidian's usual bugs and you have a bad time brewing.

The planing of the game is also very disappointing. Basically the level design is linear. There are a few subtle variations on certain objectives but all and all you can get from point a to be in simple terms. The other thing is that the game is not set up to be played by every class of character. Basically you can blow through seventy-five percent of the levels as a soldier and get it all done, and what missions require sneaking you can avoid by doing others. Where it's not set up for characters of other kinds is boss fights. (Example of my geriatric fist fighter in Rome). The stealth guy who never learns a weapon is screwed. The stealth guy who learns pistol is only mildly screwed. You need a shotgun or an assault rifle in any game you play.

Obsidian is the black sheep of the gaming industry and it really shows in this. The story is good, your character is a total tool but you can get over that. Still blaring technical issues and bugs abound. Because of this substandard approach Obsidian takes to video games I think they were right in not slating a sequel. It is a game that would only appeal to a certain number of people and lacks all the qualities of many games you find on the market today.

Also really kind of unrelated. I went to Rome first after Saudi Arabia, but I'm really not seeing how my missions change depending on how I complete them. Sure little things change, but it's hardly as dynamic as I thought it would be.

Ill agree in broad terms the game is linear but I heavily disagree with the idea that any playstyle isnt viable for the game. If you want to be a sneaky guy with specialization in pistols then the chain shot power gives you that amazing punch (I would go so far to say pistols is actually the best weapon type because of chain shot). Sneaking around works well. Running in and knocking someone to their feet or just beating the crap out of them with martial arts works fine. While not as powerful as pistols rifles, shotguns, and sub machine guns all work great and the powers associated with those skills really compliment the individual playstyle as well as some others.

Now granted in boss fights with Brayko, Marburg, and Omen Dang they have some super strong martial arts but with high martial arts youll do some good damage before they run off for the next assault. Playing as martial arts focused makes the game easy except in boss fights but even then it gives you a great offense and defense when you get close. Problem is the key to that is often getting close, in Marburgs fight it can be hard. In Brayko's it can be suicide. However thats only if you dont use hit and run tactics with each boss. Martial arts, like all the gun types, has to be used intelligently. You cant just power fist your way through everything and expect to come out on top (which is what most reviewers tried doing). Its just not Arkam asylum, sorry

The game has a wide variety of story effected potential, there are multiple times where a certain interaction with a character somewhere will assist you later on either by default, by choice, or by spending some money. For example if you go to Taipai to meet Steven heck and later do the Moscow levels you can hire Steven to spike Brayko's cocaine and make his frenzy mechanic hurt himself (this also makes the fight so much easier). Likewise if you went to moscow and met SIE as well as worked with her a bit she can assist you in one of the Rome missions
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

Ahem, on reviewing footage of a review, I have decided to get Bullet Storm on the grounds that there is a Sniper Rifle that lets you STEER THE BULLET.

Which you can select (Apparently, still need to find more info) at any time, and continue getting Ammo for...it's like the Seeker Rifle from Singularity, only better.

Plus the fun of shooting someone in the crotch and then kicking their head in...that just never gets old. :D

Frost

I shall be running to the gamestore (now that was funny!!! I typed in gamestore and my phone changed the word to Takeshita lol WTF is Takeshita) on my lunchbreak from work tomorrow and purchasing bulletstorm, some of the single player scenes look awesome!! And multiplayer looks very fun indeed.

Played Crysis 2 demo and to be honest did not really entertain me at all, I have watched some gamer reviews on homefront and it has spiked some interest, which is all I am basing it on at the moment.

Wolfy

Ok, on playing through the game (I bought the epic edition, btw, so yay Gears 3 Beta. :D)

The only problem with the sniper rifle is that the ammo costs a ****-ton of points.

This is, however, made up by the sheer-awesomeness that is the charge shot (Which I'm sure costs even more. :/)

Using the Charge shot, you fire a radio-controlled explosive bullet, that not only lets to steer it, but also lets you steer the enemy you hit with it before making it explode.

Also, one of the skins for the Carbine is...Tits. On Fire.. :D

Hemingway

Battlefield 3 is going to kill.

That is all.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 23, 2011, 08:01:50 PM
I disagree with this statement, completely. My last time playing it, I had nothing but a few points in pistols, with everything else going into things like stealth and other practical things. I had no trouble at all. If anything, once I got chain shot, it got way too easy.
I said, "Who only uses hand to hand." You've got to have some kind of weapon skill even if you don't develop it well. If you try to be the never fire a shot guy you're asking for trouble. Yeah the pistol kind of comes into its own with chain shot, but it's hardly makes things easier until you get the advanced level. Otherwise you have to put to head shots together in six seconds.

I did manage to beat that guy but only because of buggy A.I. his head was naturally stuck out of cover from where he held up so I was able to just put round after round into his brain box.

Still, someday Obsidian's going to have to answer for its design. I can stand bugs more than most, but that doesn't excuse it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on February 24, 2011, 04:31:54 PM
Battlefield 3 is going to kill.

That is all.

No..this Holiday season is going to kill.

My Wallet. Seriously fricken Skyrim, Gears 3, and even more on the way (Possibly Prototype 2)...I mean, there's only so much a man can take! D:

Wolfy

Bulletstorm - Halo Parody Trailer HD

Here is a Bulletstorm Trailer, that parody's Halo 3's "Believe" trailer.

...Hilarious. :D

Inkidu

Still playing Alpha Protocol. Gosh I thought the days of memorize the boss's pattern were over, but they use it in this game...

Obsidian just needs to learn to release a better product. This could have totally been a great game but it lacks so much polish and just technical execution. Plus gamers are weird (it's my mantra) we crucify the most random of things, but that's a danger of the business.

I'm not going to get anything new until Dragon Age 2. It's already paid off so I just have to pick it up. Then it's the try and save up as much money as possible for the Inkidu 2011 is going to rock video game relief fund.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Here's my dilemma: Bulletstorm is no out in my country. Now, part of my problem has been laid to rest, in that apparently there's no split-screen on the Xbox version, so there's no reason for me to get it on the Xbox instead of PC for the sake of playing with my brother. Still. I could buy it now, download it in a gazillion hours, get way too little sleep tonight ... or I could wait, get it tomorrow, but have to wait a gazillion hours for it to download, while having nothing better to do.

Understand, there is no middle ground. If I buy it tonight, I will play it tonight, even if that means staying up well into the wee hours.

OH WELL. I'M NO STRANGER TO SLEEP DEPRIVATION.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 25, 2011, 04:04:36 PM
Here's my dilemma: Bulletstorm is no out in my country. Now, part of my problem has been laid to rest, in that apparently there's no split-screen on the Xbox version, so there's no reason for me to get it on the Xbox instead of PC for the sake of playing with my brother. Still. I could buy it now, download it in a gazillion hours, get way too little sleep tonight ... or I could wait, get it tomorrow, but have to wait a gazillion hours for it to download, while having nothing better to do.

Understand, there is no middle ground. If I buy it tonight, I will play it tonight, even if that means staying up well into the wee hours.

OH WELL. I'M NO STRANGER TO SLEEP DEPRIVATION.
Screw that. There are few things more sacred to me than video games and they happen to be eight hours minimum of sleep a night and ladies. In that order.

I can always play it in the morning.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on February 25, 2011, 05:28:21 PM
Screw that. There are few things more sacred to me than video games and they happen to be eight hours minimum of sleep a night and ladies. In that order.

I can always play it in the morning.

I can't! Ahh, but you're too late anyway. I promise I'll be im bed by 2am!

Oniya

Set a timer for when the download is supposed to be done.  Nap on the couch until the timer goes off.  (Oniya's method of dealing with nocturnal work schedule and diurnal child.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

It's already done. Wicked fast internet! Will try the game just as soon as this episode of House finishes .. which should be in a few minutes.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on February 25, 2011, 06:02:31 PM
It's already done. Wicked fast internet! Will try the game just as soon as this episode of House finishes .. which should be in a few minutes.
I don't download games. I want hard copies. That way I can prove I bought it and my computer dying won't fornicate me royally.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on February 25, 2011, 06:14:41 PM
I don't download games. I want hard copies. That way I can prove I bought it and my computer dying won't fornicate me royally.

I save all my Steam receipts!

As for Bulletstorm, this game is ... awesome. FPSs are usually pretty disposable to me, cheap entertainment ... but this is badass.

Sabby

I really want to play Banjo Kazooi: Nuts and Bolts. I don't know why I like that game so much, I just do.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on February 25, 2011, 06:14:41 PM

Actually, as long as you keep your steam-ID and it's password, you can download Steam games that you've bought anytime to any computer. o3o

Xenophile

Arsenal of Democracy. Downloaded some fan-made unit skins, and the game has actually increased its entertainment value.
Ons and Offs
Updated 2011 June 5th A's and A's

Hemingway

Do you know that feeling where you want to play a game, but you're worried you'll finish it too fast?

I have that, with Bulletstorm.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on February 26, 2011, 01:22:10 PM
Do you know that feeling where you want to play a game, but you're worried you'll finish it too fast?

I have that, with Bulletstorm.

But there's always Echos and Multiplayer...:P

Anyway..I picked up You don't Know Jack Last night...^-^..Love that series.