News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

A quick question for those far more techno-savvy than myself.

Started by Ex68471, September 29, 2011, 01:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex68471

I do know my way around a computer, but before I start fiddling with settings I figured it would be better for me to ask about the subject first before I nuke something on accident.

I have my desktop pc connected to the internet via a Wifi connecter, I have a Wifi router in my house. I also get on this Wifi with my iPod, and a laptop.

I am planning on getting a new laptop. Would it be possible to transfer my pictures, videos, and other such files to my new laptop by way of the Wifi network?
Experiments 68469, 68470, and 68472 were perfect successes.
I am Experiment 68471, the catastrophic failure!

My Ons and Offs. Still a work in progress!

Attention: Everybody
I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

Oniya

Should be.  We have a hard-wire network set up here, and I have a 'Shared Folder' that the other two computers can read and write files in.  You want to set up File Sharing on the desktop machine, sharing one specific folder.  (If it's a Windows based machine, it's under Network and Internet Connections - there's a wizard to walk you through setting up your home network.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

jouzinka

You can set a network, which isn't the easiest to do, but neither is it the hardest. If you have doubts, you can always make a dropbox account and transfer the files via internet and a shared folder (only if FUP - fair use policy - or bandwidth isn't an issue).
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

tsc

Note that if you have a relatively new computer, a wired connection may be much faster.  I got a new desktop last year, and initially I tried copying everything over via wireless, but after seeing that it was going to take several hours, I dug out my old ethernet cable and went that way.  I was able to simply plug the cable into the laptop and the desktop without any other network hardware, since the ports were auto-sensing.

Gigabit ethernet was much, much faster for the transfer than the 54 Mbps on the wireless.  What would have been six or seven hours on the wireless was under an hour.