What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

SINless

lol. The belfast tapestry? A marvel to future archaeologists and historians.

RedRose

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 17, 2017, 09:17:54 PM
Due to the recent flooding in the US, it seems a Mosquito crisis is on the horizon.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/houston-launches-all-out-assault-to-combat-mosquitoes/ar-AAs14d8?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Aaaargh. I have dwelled in an area where every day you would have to go inside at a certain time as gas trucks would be going around to try to kill those critters. I still got bitten like crazy.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Shekinah

German WW1 u-boat found before the coast of Belgium

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41318195

Is kinda great news bcz now 23 families can finally get closure.

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

FeveredDreams

Quote from: Oniya on September 16, 2017, 03:56:39 PM
At one point, the 'Juggalos' were simply fans of Insane Clown Posse - a wrestling tag team turned musical group (or possibly vice versa, I'm not clear on that.)  They painted their faces and drank a lot of Fanta.  (Don't ask, no one understands that one.)  As is the case when you have large groups of excited people that can easily conceal their identities, there were asshats.  The asshats painted their faces, drank a lot of Fanta, and busted things.  People, property, whatever.  'Got a description?' 'Yeah, some kid in clown makeup.  There's a lot of them around, though.  Something about a posse.' 'Hm.  Sounds like gang activity.'

It Faygo dude, WOOOP WOOOP!
Are you afraid of me now?

On's and Offs-  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171318.0

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Just checked out Elton John's "Rocket Man" on Youtube and there are hundreds of comments by people saying "I came here because of Trump" and "Kim Jong-Un theme song". :) The video is a nice surprise, it was made by a refugee Iranian filmmaker (invited by Elton's team) and skilfully weaves the theme of isolation and loneliness in the lyrics together with a story of flight, escape and hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtVBCG6ThDk

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Parents of Autistic boy demand answers and an apology after officer held the boy down suspecting he was on drugs.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/parents-demand-answers-after-autistic-boy-held-on-ground-by-officer/ar-AAsewtH?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

As someone on the autism spectrum, who has been around many autistic people, and who has actually encountered people on drugs before, I can say the officer is in the wrong here.

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

RedRose

Some months ago, I was discussing with a friend about what would have happened if people had been online in the times of Little Gregory's case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Gr%C3%A9gory_Villemin. The case was a mess even without it. I'm sadly thinking we might have a new case, a little girl disappeared during a wedding party... thousands of people are contacting the family and playing detective, lowlives raising money "for the parents" and pocketing it, charlatans pretending to be able to find her through their supernatural abilities, curious people deciding to take a vacay around that area to meet the locals... It's a nightmare. My own friend did some questionable things out of curiosity but neither of us expected so many people to behave so badly.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

SINless

Quote from: RedRose on September 21, 2017, 07:32:51 AM
Some months ago, I was discussing with a friend about what would have happened if people had been online in the times of Little Gregory's case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Gr%C3%A9gory_Villemin. The case was a mess even without it. I'm sadly thinking we might have a new case, a little girl disappeared during a wedding party... thousands of people are contacting the family and playing detective, lowlives raising money "for the parents" and pocketing it, charlatans pretending to be able to find her through their supernatural abilities, curious people deciding to take a vacay around that area to meet the locals... It's a nightmare. My own friend did some questionable things out of curiosity but neither of us expected so many people to behave so badly.

When I hear about psychics meddling with murder/abduction cases I always wonder. Do they really believe their own bullshit, or are they so caught up in themselves that they don't care who they hurt. Peddlers of false hope are the lowest among the scum. Especially if they do it to make money or gain power. I haven't followed Maelys' case as much as I used to do with other cases, but it seems that the actual experts sadly believe there is no chance of finding her alive. I can only imagine the pain and grief her family must be going through. At such time is exactly when these pieces of scum show up to take advantage of the grief. Psychic detectives, spiritualists, clergy. All there seemingly to help, but in truth only out to fulfil their own agenda.

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Polygamists seek to sue to prevent gay marriage in Miss. , claiming the government is favoring one religion over another.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/polygamists-file-suit-over-miss-gay-marriage-law/ar-AAsjTsh?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Missy

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 21, 2017, 07:32:21 PM
Polygamists seek to sue to prevent gay marriage in Miss. , claiming the government is favoring one religion over another.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/polygamists-file-suit-over-miss-gay-marriage-law/ar-AAsjTsh?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Tell you what I'm not bothered by polygamy or polyamory (but polyandry yeah, at least in the forms it takes in religions to be sure). I mean I'm pretty well inclined to consider it a stronger possibility the people filing this shit are actually bigots. If it's a big fucking deal to you, fight for your own damn rights, bigot.

Oniya

Quote from: Missy on September 21, 2017, 08:03:07 PM
Tell you what I'm not bothered by polygamy or polyamory (but polyandry yeah, at least in the forms it takes in religions to be sure). I mean I'm pretty well inclined to consider it a stronger possibility the people filing this shit are actually bigots. If it's a big fucking deal to you, fight for your own damn rights, bigot.

I think you mean polygyny - having more than one wife (typically associated with child-brides and discarded adolescent boys as the 'elders' try to assert their possession of a dick superiority), and not polyandry, which is having more than one husband.  I'm not aware of any polyandrous religions, at any rate.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Missy

Quote from: Oniya on September 21, 2017, 08:41:06 PM
I think you mean polygyny - having more than one wife (typically associated with child-brides and discarded adolescent boys as the 'elders' try to assert their possession of a dick superiority), and not polyandry, which is having more than one husband.  I'm not aware of any polyandrous religions, at any rate.
yeah I got it backwards, thanks.

Regina Minx

Polyamory is wrong. I'm sorry, and I know it's a lifestyle choice practiced by lots of people, even some people on this very site, but I cannot hear that word without cringing about how messed up it is.

Polyphilia or multiamory. Otherwise, you're mixing Greek and Latin roots. And. That's. Wrong.

Missy

Quote from: Regina Minx on September 21, 2017, 10:02:56 PM
Polyamory is wrong. I'm sorry, and I know it's a lifestyle choice practiced by lots of people, even some people on this very site, but I cannot hear that word without cringing about how messed up it is.

Polyphilia or multiamory. Otherwise, you're mixing Greek and Latin roots. And. That's. Wrong.

heh, I thought you were beign seriously moral purist there for a minute.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Missy on September 21, 2017, 10:57:58 PM
heh, I thought you were beign seriously moral purist there for a minute.

It's an old joke. Pretty sure I've seen it on a T-shirt.

TheVillain

BA-Dum Cha!
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Missy

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 21, 2017, 11:26:16 PM
It's an old joke. Pretty sure I've seen it on a T-shirt.

Very funny

SINless

So: Television, Automobile, bioluminescence, hyperactive.

All things you should be worried about.
At one point, some cunning linguists (who may or may not have cunilingists) decided that they liked mashing up greek and latin. it's truly annoying, but what are you gonna do eh.

RedRose

Quote from: Oniya on September 21, 2017, 08:41:06 PM

There are some tribes where a girl marries all the brothers of a family, but I think it is a tiny minority.