Crush the Xenos Scum! [40k discussion]

Started by chaoslord29, May 02, 2013, 11:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Am I right in assuming that large chunks of the issues that plague the 40K universe are due to space elf hedonism?
Do I even want to know the kind of nasty they got on to corrupt the majority of a pantheon of gods? I bet it involves skinning someone alive for the sexual pleasure of it... as a starting point.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Well, it did sort of bring about the birth of Slaanesh and the Eye of Terror.

Inkidu

Of course I've got a few bones to pick with the God Emperor of Mankind. Why did he think it was smart to make an empire based solely around his existence when he knew he could be wounded in a mortal way. Pretty lame for someone who is functionally immortal. Little bit of hubris in being a God Emperor if you're capable of being wounded by your own creation in such a way that you never heal. :\

*Ready to get blammed for heresy now*
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

chaoslord29

Quote from: Inkidu on May 14, 2013, 08:45:53 AM
Of course I've got a few bones to pick with the God Emperor of Mankind. Why did he think it was smart to make an empire based solely around his existence when he knew he could be wounded in a mortal way. Pretty lame for someone who is functionally immortal. Little bit of hubris in being a God Emperor if you're capable of being wounded by your own creation in such a way that you never heal. :\

*Ready to get blammed for heresy now*

I'm inclined to say the Emperor new exactly how it was going to shake down what with him being eventually consigned to the Golden Throne, even if he didn't see Horus's Heresy coming exactly. He must have known that eventually he would have to put down the flaming sword and take up a more spiritual guidance of the species, no matter what it meant sacrificing otherwise, the Spirit of the Emperor was necessary to guide the Imperium more than the Emperor himself was necessary to rule it.

My bias of course is largely due to my interpretation of the whole Father, Son, and Holy Spirit aspect of the Emperor and correlation with 40k.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

Inkidu

Here's a question, I know why it can't happen for setting reasons. However, they put basically dead space marines into juggernauts, but why not the emperor?

Also, why isn't he healing? He's human, they have fairly advanced healing methods. Why isn't the emperor able to heal? Obviously ignoring the Gilligan Paradox. (i.e. 40K would be over because the emperor basically insures victory for Mankind.)

chaoslord29

Quote from: Inkidu on May 14, 2013, 10:27:53 AM
Here's a question, I know why it can't happen for setting reasons. However, they put basically dead space marines into juggernauts, but why not the emperor?

Also, why isn't he healing? He's human, they have fairly advanced healing methods. Why isn't the emperor able to heal? Obviously ignoring the Gilligan Paradox. (i.e. 40K would be over because the emperor basically insures victory for Mankind.)

Right off the bat we can assume that putting the Emperor in a Dreadnought would be some kind of sacrilege or another. Moreover, I believe the general perception in the Imperium (of those who actually know that the Emperor is on the Golden Throne) is that he wants to be there. It was his last proper command to entomb him upon it, wasn't it?

Also, interment into a Dreadnought is sort of . . . well it's honorable to be sure, but it's also kind of a second death sentence, since once your Dreadnought is destroyed that's it, end of game, there's no coming back. You can imagine why no one would be willing to risk that. There might be more sense if you had like a Titan sized Dreadnought for the Emperor however. In fact, let's just assume that if shit ever really hit the fan again, the Emperor's Palace on Terra can transform into the biggest, baddest, most grimdark megazord ever.

Also, he doesn't heal because the Golden Throne prevents it. In the same way that patients on life support sometimes become dependent upon it, the Emperor won't heal because the Golden Throne was designed to truly immortalize the Emperor, up to and including preventing him from healing to move beyond it.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari

Inkidu

See I thought the golden throne was a last-minute thing. From what I read it was supposed to be the kind of nerve center of the Emperor's own web-way gate project. Though I can see if it holds his body in some kind of temporal stasis. Even people on life support will have their bodies heal up. The body knows how to knit muscle and bone no matter what equipment they're on. Still, I can see him becoming dependent on it for his other functions. Wasn't it revealed though that the golden throne might be beginning to fail?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 14, 2013, 10:49:26 AM

Also, interment into a Dreadnought is sort of . . . well it's honorable to be sure, but it's also kind of a second death sentence, since once your Dreadnought is destroyed that's it, end of game, there's no coming back. You can imagine why no one would be willing to risk that. There might be more sense if you had like a Titan sized Dreadnought for the Emperor however. In fact, let's just assume that if shit ever really hit the fan again, the Emperor's Palace on Terra can transform into the biggest, baddest, most grimdark megazord ever.

This is now my new headcanon. ;D

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 14, 2013, 11:04:36 AM
I think I just heard someone from GamesWorkshop stealing it. That would be so much awesome my heart would give out. @_@

Can you imagine the figurine?

chaoslord29

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 14, 2013, 11:04:36 AM

Glad you like it, though I'm having trouble giving the henshin! sequence in my head a properly grimdark feel.

More likely, the palace itself is just the bastion that forms the Titan's head and shoulders, meaning it's feat must be somewhere near the mantle before it stands up straight XD
My Guiding Light-

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on May 14, 2013, 11:15:27 AM
I think I just heard someone from GamesWorkshop stealing it. That would be so much awesome my heart would give out. @_@

Can you imagine the figurine?

It would be the size of a real-life human, at scale, and cost more than the average American/British yearly gross income.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 14, 2013, 11:19:28 AM
It would be the size of a real-life human, at scale, and cost more than the average American/British yearly gross income.
How many points would it be worth in regard to fielding it.

My estimate is: All the points ever on all sides!

TheGlyphstone

The Points total line just says: "Yes."

chaoslord29

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 14, 2013, 11:19:28 AM

You can't be wrong on the cost there, but if I'm remembering correctly, Warhound Titan models are to scale about as tall as a toddler, and while I've never seen a Reaver or Emperor class Titan model (even a custom one) I think that makes them to scale with a regular sized person. The Emperor's personal Titan controlled from the Golden Throne with his massive fortress palace making up the head and shoulders?

I think that would make it low rise building sized . . .
My Guiding Light-

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 14, 2013, 11:30:47 AM
The Points total line just says: "Yes."
It takes four weeks to paint and about half a gallon of paint. Of course you'll screw up the last stroke.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--"

Cold Heritage

I remember vaguely some fluff saying that working the Golden Throne into a life support system was work done at the last minute after Horus mortally wounded the Emperor, but I think that even without it the Emperor would have had to be on it 24/7/365 at that point because of what Magnus the Red did. The whole thing was doomed and even when Malcador was on the Throne while the Emperor was fighting Horus things teetered on the brink of having a new Eye of Terror open on Earth. And then, after the fighting, and it might have been possible to revive the Emperor, the High Lords of Terra decided to just leave him there out of a base desire for political power.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: chaoslord29 on May 14, 2013, 11:35:08 AM
You can't be wrong on the cost there, but if I'm remembering correctly, Warhound Titan models are to scale about as tall as a toddler, and while I've never seen a Reaver or Emperor class Titan model (even a custom one) I think that makes them to scale with a regular sized person. The Emperor's personal Titan controlled from the Golden Throne with his massive fortress palace making up the head and shoulders?

I think that would make it low rise building sized . . .

Warhound models are 10.5 inches tall, according to Forgeworld. There is no Imperator-class Emperor titan model, but Lexicanum quotes its rule sheet as saying the scale model would be 39 inches tall (so, roughly as big as a toddler).

The Throne-Titan couldn't use the Imperial Palace as its head and shoulders alone, simply from size - the Palace is continent-sized, taking up a good portion of what we consider Asia if I remember right. So it'd have to be limited in size, if it was intended to be a Titan and not just a humanoid spacecraft.

chaoslord29

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 14, 2013, 01:44:02 PM
Warhound models are 10.5 inches tall, according to Forgeworld. There is no Imperator-class Emperor titan model, but Lexicanum quotes its rule sheet as saying the scale model would be 39 inches tall (so, roughly as big as a toddler).

The Throne-Titan couldn't use the Imperial Palace as its head and shoulders alone, simply from size - the Palace is continent-sized, taking up a good portion of what we consider Asia if I remember right. So it'd have to be limited in size, if it was intended to be a Titan and not just a humanoid spacecraft.

Haha, my bad, guess I was grossly over estimating on the Titan Model there.

But for the Emperor's Palace Titan . . . that's actually about what I was thinking. Just have this large portion of Asia more or less stand up and start waving guns the size of Mount Everest.
My Guiding Light-

TheGlyphstone

If the entire Palace transformed, sure, though I'd still have concerns about the structural integrity of the planetary crust under that much weight. But if Asia was just the head and shoulders, I don't think there would be enough man-made material left on Earth to form the rest of the Thronezord.

chaoslord29

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 14, 2013, 02:13:53 PM
If the entire Palace transformed, sure, though I'd still have concerns about the structural integrity of the planetary crust under that much weight. But if Asia was just the head and shoulders, I don't think there would be enough man-made material left on Earth to form the rest of the Thronezord.

I can only think that Terra's tectonic integrity has been reinforced using some sort of arcane lost technological marvel just to keep from breaking apart following the events of the Heresy. I'm picturing a 'safety ring' of psykers all holding hands around the circumference of the earth in constant prayer. That combined with the already supremely physics bending will of the Emperor himself should accommodate the Thronezord's ridiculous levels of badassery.
My Guiding Light-

Inkidu

Question: With billions of beings dying each tear if not each month. Where do the various races of 40K go when they die?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on May 14, 2013, 07:10:07 PM
Question: With billions of beings dying each tear if not each month. Where do the various races of 40K go when they die?

Strictly, they all 'go' to the Warp, at least for the ones who have souls (i.e., not Necrons or Tyranids) and aren't carrying Soulstones (i.e, Eldar). What happens to them when they get there is never expanded on, though it probably involves getting eaten by demons.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 14, 2013, 07:20:52 PM
Strictly, they all 'go' to the Warp, at least for the ones who have souls (i.e., not Necrons or Tyranids) and aren't carrying Soulstones (i.e, Eldar). What happens to them when they get there is never expanded on, though it probably involves getting eaten by demons.
Damn you know that's grimdark. Everyone goes to hell, that is all.

Hey, do orks go to the warp? They're born of spores. I don't know if they even have orky little souls.

TheGlyphstone

Anything with a psychic presence has a soul, but the Orky power of Clap Your Hands If You Believe doesn't necessarily stop at death. Presumably Orks who die in battle, the way a proper Ork should, go the feet of Gork (or Mork) to fight for all eternity. Ork Valhalla, so to speak.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 14, 2013, 07:38:16 PM
Anything with a psychic presence has a soul, but the Orky power of Clap Your Hands If You Believe doesn't necessarily stop at death. Presumably Orks who die in battle, the way a proper Ork should, go the feet of Gork (or Mork) to fight for all eternity. Ork Valhalla, so to speak.
I figured that the spores they give off in death would maintain the genetic memories of the "parent" and what they learned in battle (to a point). So they were more a race of infinite reincarnation.