News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

To poke, or not to poke, that is the question....

Started by Sherona, August 28, 2008, 11:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

just out of curiosity, I figured I would post this. To some poking someone immediately after a storypost is done is common courtesy, to let the partner know tehy have a story. To others, poking someone routinely until they manage a post is considered perfectly fine. Still others find poking to be insanely annoying.

So what is YOUR preference?

For me, I will pok after i post ONLY if my partner asks me to. I have only had one partner ask me to do it after every post, and one other ask me to poke him only when I have taken a hiatus from the story. Most everyone else has left the poking alone.

I prefer NO pokes. I use notifications, and that is enough of a poke to me. I am extremely picky about my own poses. I refuse to post a pose that I think is just utter crap, which sometimes means One story doesn't get posted on frequently at times. When I get frequent pokes, I feel rushed and I don't write as well. I do enjoy a poke if its been a few days, because I am human and I forget at times that I owe a post, or I thought I posted but didn't.

Jefepato

I just check the show-new-replies link.  I don't mind if people poke/tag/whatever, but it's not going to change much.

Caeli

I don't poke my partner unless it's been over a week since I'd heard from them, and they haven't told me or written in the A&A boards that they were taking a hiatus of any sort. Otherwise, I just let the threads sit... if they don't reply, I don't bother them. :P

As for me.. I hate when people rush me for a post, like, a DAY after they post. Not that I don't appreciate speed, but if I have something to post, it's likely that I've posted it already. If I haven't, then DUH, it means I don't have the time or the creativity or the inclination, and even a poke isn't going to get me to post faster, because I won't post anything that I don't personally feel satisfied with.

If I haven't posted anything in a while though, and I receive a poke... :) I'm okay with that. I let them know I'm in a funk / forgot / having trouble with it, and life goes on.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Trieste

ShrowdedPoet

Reminders (if I'm taking a very long time with no explanation) or letting me know they posted cause most of the time I don't get the e-mail is cool.  I feel guilty enough as it is when I can't muster a decent post. . .so please do not poke me. . .it makes me feel worse, loose interest, and sometimes pisses me off. 
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Maeven

I don't mind a PM right after a post just to say: "hey, I posted."  In fact, I rather like that. I think it encourages communication between partners and better communication leads to better stories-- in my opinion.

As far as poking when posts are owed and not forthcoming... I agree with the sentiments here. If its been a week or so and you've not heard from me feel free to 'check in.' 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Sherona

one of my best partners as far as communications go is SteveJ101. He doesn't poke or prod me for posts, but does do the gentle "Hey hun, its been a week or so, is everything ok?" on the occasion that I have forgotten. But he is also not shy in asking myopinion on his posts, or giving an opinion on how the story should go :)

Paradox

I do the same thing that Maeven mentioned, in terms of poking to let someone know that I posted. If it's been a while, I will check up on a partner to ensure that everything is okay in real life. I also do it to make sure they haven't dropped the game and simply forgot to tell me; still, I wait a good two weeks before doing that. People have lives. I'm too damned busy as it is, so I surely won't pester someone else about a post since there is a good chance that they're just as busy as I am and haven't found the time to write yet.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

King_Furby

I have only ever porked when its been like 2 weeks without a reply and my partner has posted in all their other games.

But there is also a thing that i don't consider pokeing. With a few of my partners we like sending a PM sometimes just saying "posted" even if we have notifactions. But i like that because i can get on E and just look at my PM's and not have to go into my topics.

It's a hard question sometimes. I am fair with all my games, but to some its just some of their games are more important then others. sometimes i feel like my partners value their games with others more then with me, though thats probably not true.

Sherona

Quote from: King_Furby on August 29, 2008, 08:05:59 PM
I have only ever porked when its been like 2 weeks without a reply and my partner has posted in all their other games.

But there is also a thing that i don't consider pokeing. With a few of my partners we like sending a PM sometimes just saying "posted" even if we have notifactions. But i like that because i can get on E and just look at my PM's and not have to go into my topics.

It's a hard question sometimes. I am fair with all my games, but to some its just some of their games are more important then others. sometimes i feel like my partners value their games with others more then with me, though thats probably not true.

QuoteFor me, I will pok after i post ONLY if my partner asks me to. I have only had one partner ask me to do it after every post,

*smiles* Furby was the one to ask me to poke him after i post, and I don't mind that as that did not feel like a "Post now post now post now" poke :)

I understand why it would feel like that Furby, and honestly I have started telling all my potential partners "I am slower on some stories, faster on others, depending on my moods, depending on how well I feel etc and ect*

King_Furby

It's kind of a habbit i got into with my first long term RP partner here but since then i just really like having PM's also after someone posts.

It also lets people say little things about the game, keeps communication open and makes the game feel more personal and friendly.

But i think it's important to at least wait a week before pokeing, and you got to put it in the right words. It's important to also ask how the person is doing. would not a good thing to say "post now, fricken post now!" lol

Trieste

I had someone ask me to PM them after I post, to let them know ... but I usually forget to do so. >.>

Kalen

I hate getting three or four prods for posts a day... it drives me nuts.  I myself, rather do the opposite.  When I have finished a post I'm particularly proud of, sometimes I will check in with my partner to see if it suits their needs.  If it does, great!  I did my job.  If not, let me change it now, before the electrons dry to the screen.

... well, they DO.

I almost never send a PM to do this, though.  I'm in touch with a number of people by IM off of E, all day.  I'll let them know there. 

Actually, on the topic?  Why shout in the SB that you just sent a PM?  They WILL see it.  I promise!  PM's are like email... how long do you honestly think they're going to let it sit?  NOT bloody likely.  So, there's no point in announcing your every PM in the SB.  Darn exhibitionists!

Maeven

Quote from: Kalen on August 30, 2008, 05:19:23 AM
I hate getting three or four prods for posts a day... it drives me nuts.  I myself, rather do the opposite.  When I have finished a post I'm particularly proud of, sometimes I will check in with my partner to see if it suits their needs.  If it does, great!  I did my job.  If not, let me change it now, before the electrons dry to the screen.

... well, they DO.

I almost never send a PM to do this, though.  I'm in touch with a number of people by IM off of E, all day.  I'll let them know there. 

Actually, on the topic?  Why shout in the SB that you just sent a PM?  They WILL see it.  I promise!  PM's are like email... how long do you honestly think they're going to let it sit?  NOT bloody likely.  So, there's no point in announcing your every PM in the SB.  Darn exhibitionists!

Ok... I'll admit to poking Kalen for posts periodically... but I think he likes it.  *smirk*
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Kalen

Quote from: Maeven on August 30, 2008, 06:59:04 AM
Ok... I'll admit to poking Kalen for posts periodically... but I think he likes it.  *smirk*

I admit to poking Maeven perodically.  It rarely has anything to to with posting.

A post?  Yes.  PostING?  No.   :-X  ;D

Sherona

HIjackers!!!

Oh um yeah *cough* hehehe

on topic, yeah I find poking for PM responses to be a bit rhetorical anyway, because most likely that person is responding and not looking in SB anyway :P

Greenthorn

I hate/despise/get annoyed with constant back and forth "tags" in the shoutbox/steambox.  My opinion, if you're an obsessive "poker" do it in PM, cause honestly, no one else but you and your partner cares that you two are rapid fire posting.

*smiles*

/bitchfest

Me.  I don't think I've ever been poked..and if so, was in yahoo (probably Dingo when we did PWB).  I don't poke...but sometimes when I take a long time to post I will send out a PM "I posted, take your time.  Sorry took me so long".

MusicNeverDies

I tend not to do any poking after the first post. When the first post is up, I will either poke my partner with the link, or they will shove the link to me. That's perfectly fine. I had 2 partners who required pokes, and one did it through PMs, the other would often SB me saying they replied. I personally tried to avoid doing any poking in the SB because if someone is on without any really active games, or partners, and me and a partner are shoving 'Posted!" back and fourth, I do feel a little bad- regardless of if it is actually upsetting the other SBers.

I will give a poke if I have been on vacation, or a muse death, just to let my partner know that I'm back into play mode and they can expect more solid replies from me. I have only played with one person two people who pestered me about posts, and it really just turned me off on the games. I'm spiteful by nature when agitated, so those who poke me constantly are unlikely to ever get a response.

King_Furby

But if that is the case i think it is important to let your partner(s) know if you are no longer wanting to RP with them. If pokeing bothers you, would it be just best to tell them to stop and give them a chance to before calling it off?

I prefur to be poked personally, i kind of actually find it anoying when i am not poked lol.

Caity

I once played with someone who would poke me 3 or 4 times a day to post, even after I had told the person that I wouldn't be able to post until a certain time.  It drove me nuts. 

I find that rather than poking, if it's been a while since I've heard from a writing partner I'll ask them if the story is going okay for them.  I appreciate them asking me the same if it's been a while for me -- though I do try to let people know when I'll be away. 

I say poking for the sake of a poke (hey I posted, so you better post now too) is annoying and rude. 

King_Furby

Sucks when you poke and don't get a response, after it's been awhile i would think they would want to let you know whats going on. But thats not always the case. I am experencing a very frustrating issue involving that. YOu can't force someone to reply to you're pm, even if you just ask if everything is okay. I just wish i knew what was going on, i wish i could read minds sometimes.

Trieste

Eh ... sometimes when I get a large number of PMs in at once, I miss one or two of them. I find them later when I'm cleaning out my inbox, and I feel awful for missing them.

In light of this, I try to presume I'm not being deliberately ignored, but that someone just missed whatever I posted or sent or whatever ... seeing as people are generally correct when they assume the same about me. XD

King_Furby

But after a certin amount of time goes by you really really start to wonder and get concerned for the future of a game and of the partner. When it's been a long lenght of time without word, and they are loging on it really gets on your mind. I just hope my partners really are okay and nothing bad happened.

Caeli

Quote from: King_Furby on September 06, 2008, 03:17:19 PM
But after a certin amount of time goes by you really really start to wonder and get concerned for the future of a game and of the partner. When it's been a long lenght of time without word, and they are loging on it really gets on your mind. I just hope my partners really are okay and nothing bad happened.

Yes, that does bite. >< That's happened to me a few times - after about a month goes by without any response or any PMs, I send a poke flying into their inbox... sometimes I've seen that they've logged in, sometimes they haven't. But if they've logged in... I mean... x___x; sometimes, I'm just honestly worried that nothing bad has happened!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Zoe Twinscythe

Personally, old habit of mine I give a lot of attention to my PM box. I'm not so popular that I'm swamped with PM's (Quite the opposite, but I've only been here a week so It's not like I expect the mases flooding to me)

I don't poke, I'd like to sometimes, but I like to think people will be back to me eventually so I restrain myself from poking at them. If it comes down to no posts in a week or two (example from other RP sites) I might drop in a "Hey how are you doin'? Is everything okay?" PM to my partner.

For the most part though, I only poke if I'm MSN with the person I'm RP'ing with or some other instant medium.