Just found out why my XCOM: Long War troopers are terrible shots!

Started by Soveliss, September 13, 2015, 02:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soveliss

I'm used to strategy games. I played lots of Fire Emblem back in the days, and I thought I had a handle on probabilities, but my XCOM soldiers seemed to be worse shots than similar Fire Emblem characters...

Well, turns out Fire Emblem uses a dual random number average (roll twice, takes the average) compared to XCOM: Long War which uses a single number. That means Fire Emblem RNG is a bell curve centered around the average, which means above average soldiers tend to hit more often than they would do in XCOM. 60% accuracy is more accurate in Fire Emblem than in XCOM, which threw me off balance.
Winning against depression is possible, I know it, I've done it! I had help, sure, and couldn't have done it without help, but I still won!

"Work together as a team
Download douchey hats on Steam"
                                                        Brentalfloss

Starting an IC on E forums OOC on Discord experiment. If you're okay with discussing plot details and exchanging status updates on Discord while keeping RPs on Elliquiy's forums, you can ask me for my Discord ID.

Inkidu

Unless you play XCOM on Easy, then you'll never miss three shots in a row. :3
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Soveliss

I play Long War, not vanilla XCOM. I even stated so in the title. :P

Also, I'm one of the 1,7% of peeps to have won the vanilla game on Classic Ironman.
Winning against depression is possible, I know it, I've done it! I had help, sure, and couldn't have done it without help, but I still won!

"Work together as a team
Download douchey hats on Steam"
                                                        Brentalfloss

Starting an IC on E forums OOC on Discord experiment. If you're okay with discussing plot details and exchanging status updates on Discord while keeping RPs on Elliquiy's forums, you can ask me for my Discord ID.

Inkidu

Quote from: Soveliss on September 13, 2015, 06:43:05 PM
I play Long War, not vanilla XCOM. I even stated so in the title. :P

Also, I'm one of the 1,7% of peeps to have won the vanilla game on Classic Ironman.
Oh I know, I was just pointing out that out for a cheap giggle.

Also, 1.7% on Steam. I beat it on console. :)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.