I'm starting to wonder if my Panda trial is dodgy

Started by AmberStarfire, September 09, 2015, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

I'm not quite sure what's going on with my PC. I installed a trial of Panda after my Norton expired (obtained from their official site), and I'm getting a lot of virus alerts. Today it keeps saying this:

(1 virus deleted, then 2 viruses deleted). It's popped up multiple times. I'm not sure if it might be software trying to update and it's decided the links are compromised, but the only web site I have open right now is Elliquiy.

It's just popped up at least 5 times in a row but it was doing it the other day.

AmberStarfire

It looks like my machine may have been virussed. Windows defender is locked out/unavailable and Windows firewall is being switched off by something.

I have my machine disconnected from the net and scanning, but I'm unsure about this trial of Panda and Adaware I have on here.

AmberStarfire

I removed Panda, put Avira on it and removed a whole slew of Lenovo unnecessary software. I've already removed (in the past) Superfish and a Lenovo Rootkit they were putting on their brand new machines (including mine).

Avira is running really slow, just like Panda was. It's at 4.8% scanned after an hour or two. With Panda, hours of scanning got it to around 8%. I don't know what's going on with it that's caused it to slow down scanning so much.

I'll let the Avira scan finish though even if it takes days, and I have the internet disabled on that laptop for the time being, until I'm sure it's okay to use again.

[Edit] In the spirit of completeness, some more info: The reason Avira wasn't successfully scanning quickly before looks to be because there was something interfering with the files being read by the antivirus program. It said on the report that it couldn't open the files, and I noticed when it was scanning both there and on Panda before that it looked like it was scanning a variable name and something that looked like a directory format after the C:/ but before the windows folder. I have no idea why but scanning by directory rather than doing a full scan seems to work okay.

I also noticed that device manager keeps refreshing itself every few seconds and flashing in and out of expanded view, which was starting to make me feel seasick. I'm still getting this all figured out.

[Edit] And now device manager is working normally again for some mysterious reason. I ran a scan for rootkits on C and D and it was during this scan that's still running (when it said it wanted to scan the partition, than I ran into that odd section again and it's come up with warnings (which I'd say are 'can't open the file' warnings).

Thesunmaid

You might still have Nortan bits here and there most likely. Even though you uninstalled it..it likes to hang around in your registry and other places and be an asshole. And it gets really assholeish when you install a new antivirus. I had to uninstall it from my moms computer and get rid of macafee as well...no idea how they both got installed.

try this this should remove all the left over bits and hopefully it will help. This is a tool you can use that they offer so you can remove it so you can reinstall. But obviously I have used it just to get rid of it completely.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

AmberStarfire

Thank you. I did have Norton on it until recently so I'll check it out. :) I really appreciate that.

I found some errors on the drive earlier and repaired them, and defragmented it. It seems that my antivirus can't read some of the files in a partition for some reason and that's why it got really slow, but apart from that it's working okay and I cleared off a couple of potentially unwanted programs/viruses earlier.

Tsenta

There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.