The Interview Cancelled

Started by consortium11, December 18, 2014, 12:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Seems more like giving in twice - first to the threats, then the reactive public pressure/bad press for doing so. But if it sticks it in the eye of the hackers, then it ends up in the same place.

Florence

Quote from: Valerian on December 24, 2014, 10:04:17 AM
Well, they're not giving in, as it turns out: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/23/372704366/some-theaters-to-show-the-interview-on-christmas-day

Basically they've given the film the equivalent of a limited release, choosing about 200 theaters to show it.  I agree that it looks silly -- I love movies, but I was planning to give this one a pass -- but the censorship angle did bother me somewhat.

I doubt that I'll watch it, because it never really interested me to begin with, but I'm glad that it's coming out. More for the principal than the movie itself.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Valerian on December 24, 2014, 10:04:17 AM
Well, they're not giving in, as it turns out: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/23/372704366/some-theaters-to-show-the-interview-on-christmas-day

Basically they've given the film the equivalent of a limited release, choosing about 200 theaters to show it.  I agree that it looks silly -- I love movies, but I was planning to give this one a pass -- but the censorship angle did bother me somewhat.

Hell yea, hope there is a 3D version released in Theaters. ;3

And doing a check, it is screening locally to where I am. xD

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

BigBuckBob

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on December 20, 2014, 03:33:28 AM
According to Sony, it was more that the theatres did not want to show the movie and risk being made targets. Supposedly, Sony is trying to find another way to get the movie out.
If any movie theater plays the movie they put their theaters, their employees, and the public at risk. So sony let the theaters choose to pull out of their contracts to play it. Phrased in this manner if a theater didbopt to play it, and something bad happened then they allowed a completely avoidable attack occur and open themselves to legal and ethical ramifications. And when sony was called out for cancelling they were easily able to blame theaters.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

TaintedAndDelish

The movie is also available on XBOX using a service called "glass"? or something like that.
It costs only $5.95 to rent it in HD.

Slywyn

It's also available on Youtube for a similar amount.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Sethala

So, we ended up watching this the other day off Youtube.  It was pretty late at night, and I may be completely forgetting parts of the movie, but my two cents after seeing it...

Was it offensive?  Of course, it was a Seth Rogen movie.  Would it have been any less offensive if it used a fake counterpart to Kim Jong-un?  To Kim himself probably, but to most other people probably not, it didn't feel like they were implying anything negative about North Korea as a whole beyond the dictator himself and those supporting him enough to be offended when something makes fun of him.  Yeah, there's some offensive humor about Koreans and Asian people in general, but that's pretty much par for the course for these guys, and it wouldn't have been toned down at all if they went with a fictional dictator president that's "Totally Not Kim Jong-Un".