We Could Be Heroes; A Sexy Superhero RP 2nd Arc Recruitment! MALES NEEDED!

Started by Vergil Tanner, May 10, 2017, 09:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Chantarelle on May 23, 2018, 05:03:14 AM
Hi, hope this passes the first test. 😜

Sex : Female

Position : Unorthodox School Counselor

Archetype :  Mentor

Power : She has empathic powers. She gets images from touching things. She wears gloves.

Clairvoyance.

Lux12

PentheWonderful

Quote from: Lux12 on May 23, 2018, 12:49:45 PM
What kind of powers are allowed exactly? I have a few ideas.

Any power, really! It just depends on the extent of mastery. We're trying to go for Daredevil levels, not X-Men levels so to speak, but just give us what you got and we'll talk it through. :-)
"The secret behind every genius is a heart full of sadness, a mind laced with madness, and just a little bit of magic."

Cessali

To expand on that a little bit, theoretically, you could submit someone with the ability to edit and rearrange matter into whatever shape and form they choose.  With a power so theoretically versatile, though, there would be tremendous limitations on its application: whether on frequency of use, the time necessary to implement that power, the amount of material that can be affected at any given time, the physical/psychological costs/drains associated with using the power, so on, so forth.  It's better to have a relatively tight scale and scope (I'm super strong and tough, I can shoot laser beams out of my eyes, I can fly, I can hypnotize people, etc) because the limitations you're setting on yourself from the start will make it way easier to tease out what kind and stages of growth you'll be able to play through.

We're also preferring as little thematic overlap as plausible between PC power sets as possible.  If you don't want to check the Active Character thread, just post it here and we'll chat about it.

Your PC's power also does not necessarily have to be connected to your PC's personality; one active PC is a social butterfly who has hyper-attracting pheromones, one older PC who was a techno-nerd who could suddenly build machines way above the conventional limits of his resources, but we also have had a previous PC who was a sports coach/teacher assistant who could clone herself, and another PC who was a smart science kid who can emulate Captain America for fifteen minutes in a day.  On a grand scale, we're less interested in your power (but have to be because this is a superhero game) than we are in having another fun character to interact with!

PentheWonderful

Quote from: Jarick on May 23, 2018, 01:28:19 PM
To expand on that a little bit, theoretically, you could submit someone with the ability to edit and rearrange matter into whatever shape and form they choose.  With a power so theoretically versatile, though, there would be tremendous limitations on its application: whether on frequency of use, the time necessary to implement that power, the amount of material that can be affected at any given time, the physical/psychological costs/drains associated with using the power, so on, so forth.  It's better to have a relatively tight scale and scope (I'm super strong and tough, I can shoot laser beams out of my eyes, I can fly, I can hypnotize people, etc) because the limitations you're setting on yourself from the start will make it way easier to tease out what kind and stages of growth you'll be able to play through.

We're also preferring as little thematic overlap as plausible between PC power sets as possible.  If you don't want to check the Active Character thread, just post it here and we'll chat about it.

Your PC's power also does not necessarily have to be connected to your PC's personality; one active PC is a social butterfly who has hyper-attracting pheromones, one older PC who was a techno-nerd who could suddenly build machines way above the conventional limits of his resources, but we also have had a previous PC who was a sports coach/teacher assistant who could clone herself, and another PC who was a smart science kid who can emulate Captain America for fifteen minutes in a day.  On a grand scale, we're less interested in your power (but have to be because this is a superhero game) than we are in having another fun character to interact with!

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D
"The secret behind every genius is a heart full of sadness, a mind laced with madness, and just a little bit of magic."

Lux12

There are three different power concepts that I had.

I had this idea that sort of resembles qigong or bodily energy manipulation if you will. The character can manipulate the flow of certain elemental spiritual energies in the human body or another persons, however in order to do so to another person, he can only do it if he makes physical contact by either slowly manipulating it during a hold or by delivering bursts through strikes. He can project his own outward without this limitation or create certain effects within himself but he needs to be able to hold a relatively meditative state to do so and if he isn't careful it can cause an "overdose" of one kind of energy in his own body which can cause a host of different problems depending on which one he "overdosed" on so to speak. He runs the risk of throwing his body out of balance  by using it.

Another is kind of based around channeling.

A third possibility is kind of tricky to describe as it was thought up with the concept of a "lovecraftian superhero" in mind.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Jarick on May 23, 2018, 01:28:19 PM

Seriously though, well phrased. ^_^ Careful, or I'll put you in charge of Applications :P

Quote from: Lux12 on May 23, 2018, 07:14:19 PM
I had this idea that sort of resembles qigong or bodily energy manipulation if you will. The character can manipulate the flow of certain elemental spiritual energies in the human body or another persons, however in order to do so to another person, he can only do it if he makes physical contact by either slowly manipulating it during a hold or by delivering bursts through strikes. He can project his own outward without this limitation or create certain effects within himself but he needs to be able to hold a relatively meditative state to do so and if he isn't careful it can cause an "overdose" of one kind of energy in his own body which can cause a host of different problems depending on which one he "overdosed" on so to speak. He runs the risk of throwing his body out of balance  by using it.

Ok, so the obvious question there would be "What kind of things can he do with this Ki?" Is it a specific feat that he can perform with Ki, or is it like D&D where you have a ma-HU-ssive list of stuff you can use the Ki for? What would be the limits and usages of this energy form? How long would it take to "Charge?" Do you have a limited pool that can run out, or is it infinite? If you want to use it on other people, what does that actually do to them? Etc etc. I don't mind the idea itself - it seems interesting, certainly - but it would have to be nailed down specifically what it can and can't do. :-)

Quote from: Lux12 on May 23, 2018, 07:14:19 PMAnother is kind of based around channeling.

Channeling what? :P

Quote from: Lux12 on May 23, 2018, 07:14:19 PMA third possibility is kind of tricky to describe as it was thought up with the concept of a "lovecraftian superhero" in mind.

Well, you'd have to figure out a way to describe it for me to approve it :P
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Cessali

YOU CAN'T MAKE ME DO ANYTHING I WASN'T ALREADY GOING TO DO ANYWAY BOSS @_@

But yeah, as you can guess, Vergil really likes us to nail down specific examples of what a character can do with their powers.  'Lovecraftian superhero' could be 'I am part formless hideous monstrous shoggoth' or it could be 'I know ways to drive somebody insane with visions of the cosmos as it Truly Is' or it could be 'I can call wicked beings from beyond Space and Time to do my bidding'.  We love details in our applications!

Vergil Tanner

YOU WANNA BET??!!

But yes, I do. :P Limitations are more interesting than powers, after all, and if I have a cast iron idea of what your character can do, it encourages you to use your powers creatively instead of just making up new ones on the spot :P

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Lux12

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 23, 2018, 07:53:25 PM

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Seriously though, well phrased. ^_^ Careful, or I'll put you in charge of Applications :P

Ok, so the obvious question there would be "What kind of things can he do with this Ki?" Is it a specific feat that he can perform with Ki, or is it like D&D where you have a ma-HU-ssive list of stuff you can use the Ki for? What would be the limits and usages of this energy form? How long would it take to "Charge?" Do you have a limited pool that can run out, or is it infinite? If you want to use it on other people, what does that actually do to them? Etc etc. I don't mind the idea itself - it seems interesting, certainly - but it would have to be nailed down specifically what it can and can't do. :-)

Channeling what? :P

Well, you'd have to figure out a way to describe it for me to approve it :P

Well as far as ki is concerned, he can only manipulate one particular elemental form at a time, and with regards to what each one does, each one has specific effects. When manipulating it in another person it is either to bolster certain abilities in an ally or to create a deficit in enemies. For example, punching someone in the rib area in order to suddenly cause a massive deficit in air energy, slowing them down and weakening their abstract or innovative thinking ability, also weakening let's say the ability manipulate air if they themselves were to have such an ability. This goes beyond knocking the air out of them as it redirects the energy and creates a deficit that will last until something is done to correct it. If using the same kind of ability on himself, he could bolster his own speed, abstract thought and the ability to generate powerful wind gusts using his own personal ki. However, there is a drawback, if he's significantly rattled, he cannot focus enough to do it. If he "overdoses" he develops a deficit of earth, causing him to lose more practical reasoning ability until he meditates for an extreme amount of time to restore himself to a state of equilibrium. Similarly, if he focuses too much on air, he becomes faster, but becomes more physically fragile as a result because of a deficit of air. The same problem does not occur if he switches frequently, but if he needs to use one elemental form of ki more than the other, he can only build up enough to do so by focusing one to a greater extent than the others. This makes him start from a point of relative weakness if he needs to switch back and forth.

This ability can also have healing capabilities when used right, but it's all a  complicated balancing act few people could manage. If he goes to far or a switch or build up is achieved to swiftly it can not only tire him out, but cause severe health problems if he isn't careful.

As for channeling, basically the idea of channeling the power of a select group of spirits that he claims to be his guides(I'm thinking at most four to keep things relatively simple). These spirits each have their own gifts, but each one is also weak in certain areas and he can only channel one at a time and he needs time to actually get into the right headspace using complicated meditative exercises and certain ritualized behaviors to do it. However, if he needs to switch he will be fatigued and kind of out of it once the power of the spirit in question leaves him and how long it takes him to recover depends on how long he was channeling another spirit, so there is a significant recovery time has to worry about. Depending on how long, he may just pass out on the spot. Also, while channeling a spirit he is fully cognizant of what is happening, but is "not quite himself" feeling certain compulsions or behaviors he might not otherwise express, this can make dealing with him difficult to handle on a social level if they are not familiar with the eccentricities caused by each one. these migth also cause problems if faced with certain unexpected circumstances.

The third power idea revolves around a character being able to tap into "angles of reality" not normally accessible to humans. This allows him to read impressions on certain objects or people, gathering information in the process. He can also send a part of his body or his whole body through the "angles" in a fashion resembling teleportation. This same ability also allows him to show others  glimpses of these strange regions of reality. While he could say punch someone from halfway across the room, this does come at a price, the more forceful the exit, the powerful of a shock wave occurs as a result, but it puts tremendous strain on his body and it's tiring. furthermore, if he were to make said punch rapidly or move in and out too quickly and too often it could cause severe pain and even injury to his body such as spraining them, breaking his bones, bruising, or other problems if he isn't careful. Of course, he can do this all multiple times quickly without suffering these effects immediately, but the more he does and the fewer pauses between them, the more dangerous to him it becomes. Looking into the angles doesn't cause many problems, but it does seem to have psychological effects such as compelling him to speak in riddles or engage in seemingly bizarre inexplicable habits for a period of time. This power also works best when he can see where he's moving too prior to walking through the angles. For example, moving to the other side of an open gymnasium wouldn't be too difficult, but let's say trying to step through to another room elsewhere in the building that he has never seen or cannot presently see would prove immensely problematic. Similarly, if he were to said his fist through the angles to strike someone, his aim can be off and if it is, he could miss the target or botch what he was trying to do in some other way. While technically yes, he could pull someone through with him like an ally to get to a different location faster, other people cannot deal with it as well and might suffer severe psychological anguish or bodily fatigue or strain in a greater measure than he does. So unfortunately for him, it's best for him and his allies if he goes through alone.

There is a possible third capability, but I thought it might be too much. Basically all of this is a reflection of a singular ability and principle, but it has several different applications, each with their own problems.

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Lux12 on May 23, 2018, 09:01:26 PM
Well as far as ki is concerned, he can only manipulate one particular elemental form at a time, and with regards to what each one does, each one has specific effects. When manipulating it in another person it is either to bolster certain abilities in an ally or to create a deficit in enemies. For example, punching someone in the rib area in order to suddenly cause a massive deficit in air energy, slowing them down and weakening their abstract or innovative thinking ability, also weakening let's say the ability manipulate air if they themselves were to have such an ability. This goes beyond knocking the air out of them as it redirects the energy and creates a deficit that will last until something is done to correct it. If using the same kind of ability on himself, he could bolster his own speed, abstract thought and the ability to generate powerful wind gusts using his own personal ki. However, there is a drawback, if he's significantly rattled, he cannot focus enough to do it. If he "overdoses" he develops a deficit of earth, causing him to lose more practical reasoning ability until he meditates for an extreme amount of time to restore himself to a state of equilibrium. Similarly, if he focuses too much on air, he becomes faster, but becomes more physically fragile as a result because of a deficit of air. The same problem does not occur if he switches frequently, but if he needs to use one elemental form of ki more than the other, he can only build up enough to do so by focusing one to a greater extent than the others. This makes him start from a point of relative weakness if he needs to switch back and forth.

Ok, so in theory I can see this working. However, the way you've described it makes it seem entirely too versatile and too much like "And I have ALL THESE 26 POWERS MWAHAHAHA!" I will need you to list every type of energy he can channel, and exactly what they do into a list that we can cull down. I like the idea of a Ki User, but as it stands, that sounds way too diverse and expansive to be balanced compared to everybody elses abilities. EG, with your Air Channeling, you can slow people down, slow down their thinking speed, hamper their creative abilities, boost your own speed, boost your own thinking abilities, take away somebody elses air-based powers and give yourself air based abilities. And that's only one type of Ki Energy?
Yeah, no. You're going to have to focus that down exponentially, since that is just not the power level of the game.

Quote from: Lux12 on May 23, 2018, 09:01:26 PMAs for channeling, basically the idea of channeling the power of a select group of spirits that he claims to be his guides(I'm thinking at most four to keep things relatively simple). These spirits each have their own gifts, but each one is also weak in certain areas and he can only channel one at a time and he needs time to actually get into the right headspace using complicated meditative exercises and certain ritualized behaviors to do it. However, if he needs to switch he will be fatigued and kind of out of it once the power of the spirit in question leaves him and how long it takes him to recover depends on how long he was channeling another spirit, so there is a significant recovery time has to worry about. Depending on how long, he may just pass out on the spot. Also, while channeling a spirit he is fully cognizant of what is happening, but is "not quite himself" feeling certain compulsions or behaviors he might not otherwise express, this can make dealing with him difficult to handle on a social level if they are not familiar with the eccentricities caused by each one. these migth also cause problems if faced with certain unexpected circumstances.

Again, that feels entirely too much like "I want these four different superpowers but can't decide which one to have."
I'll reiterate, you need to choose one power to specialise in.

Quote from: Lux12 on May 23, 2018, 09:01:26 PMThe third power idea revolves around a character being able to tap into "angles of reality" not normally accessible to humans. This allows him to read impressions on certain objects or people, gathering information in the process. He can also send a part of his body or his whole body through the "angles" in a fashion resembling teleportation. This same ability also allows him to show others  glimpses of these strange regions of reality. While he could say punch someone from halfway across the room, this does come at a price, the more forceful the exit, the powerful of a shock wave occurs as a result, but it puts tremendous strain on his body and it's tiring. furthermore, if he were to make said punch rapidly or move in and out too quickly and too often it could cause severe pain and even injury to his body such as spraining them, breaking his bones, bruising, or other problems if he isn't careful. Of course, he can do this all multiple times quickly without suffering these effects immediately, but the more he does and the fewer pauses between them, the more dangerous to him it becomes. Looking into the angles doesn't cause many problems, but it does seem to have psychological effects such as compelling him to speak in riddles or engage in seemingly bizarre inexplicable habits for a period of time. This power also works best when he can see where he's moving too prior to walking through the angles. For example, moving to the other side of an open gymnasium wouldn't be too difficult, but let's say trying to step through to another room elsewhere in the building that he has never seen or cannot presently see would prove immensely problematic. Similarly, if he were to said his fist through the angles to strike someone, his aim can be off and if it is, he could miss the target or botch what he was trying to do in some other way. While technically yes, he could pull someone through with him like an ally to get to a different location faster, other people cannot deal with it as well and might suffer severe psychological anguish or bodily fatigue or strain in a greater measure than he does. So unfortunately for him, it's best for him and his allies if he goes through alone.

Again...too much there. Choose one aspect of his ability and focus in on it. Specialisation > Generalisation.

Chantarelle

I’m going to have to withdraw interest...my own time constraints.
“If all we have is this imagined empty canvas of endless possibility...this potential heaven...then let it be our haven. A place of marriage between two souls desperate to feel something beyond the cruel tedium of real life. If we truly be the masters who dream these dreams then let our innermost desires fuel the adventures we create and the love that we make here, let it all unfold endlessly or for only a brief moment in time but for as long as it breathes let it devour and I will forgive your boldness if you will be so good as to forgive me mine...” ~ Chantarelle

Vergil Tanner

Awww, that's a shame. :C The game isn't a fast paced one, if that makes any difference. :P

In any case, feel free to apply when time is more kind :-)

Vergil Tanner

Let's get this going! :D

Quote from: Kodoku Okami on May 28, 2018, 03:57:04 AM
Archetype: Goth // Loner

Ok, so...Loners exist, naturally. But in terms of a group game, they aren't really conducive to getting involved. How do you see Natalie getting into the game and interacting with people, if she's a loner? We'd rather not have lots of "I just keep to myself" characters running around, since it can be hard to get them involved. How are you planning on getting around that?

Quote from: Kodoku Okami on May 28, 2018, 03:57:04 AMPower Theme: Healing - Touch

This is the meat of the application, though. Healing Touch. Ok...so, what are the limits? What can and can't she heal? How long does it take her? How does the healing work? What does the healing cost? How old a wound can she heal? Basically, what are the ins and outs of what her power can and can't do?

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 09:17:04 AM
Hiya! Noticed this while poking around and multitasking for different posts and thought I'd have a look-see~

I'd SUPER love to join you, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I was wondering what you might think of a power that most do not usually perceive to be a power? As per my description of it, is there anything you'd prefer was omitted or cut back?

Well hello there! Let's have a looksee! :D

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 09:17:04 AMPower Theme: Superintelligence - A lot of folks don't consider this a power, but I consider it a gateway 'power' that allows for growth of the power over time. On its own, it's harmless. I would also intend for Toby to be harmless most of the time.
I just like the potential to expand on something, and that's what intelligence is, and thus, this submission. xD

As a concept, Super Intelligence isn't inherently a "No No," but it would have to be pre defined and played carefully. As it is...

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 09:17:04 AMIt wouldn't be anything like 'I know everything now because the world was just uploaded into my brain', rather that he picks up new information easily/very quickly and adapts well to changing environments and situations. Speed reading, spacial/geometric intelligence (can accurately time/pinpoint the angles of richocheting objects/'good shot'), retaining learned information, enhanced problem solving skills/can compare multiple thought processes at once, heightened perception,

Everything you just listed is literally Dante Youngs (My character) power. xD Basically, you want him to be like Taskmaster from Marvel, right? Able to learn any skill or information in a fraction of the time, able to process information much faster than normal, able to compare and contrast various thoughts, ideas and concepts at the same time, etc etc? Yeah, that is literally Dante's power, which I labeled "Photographic Cognitive and Reflexive Memory and Enhanced Processing Speed." So obviously the power is completely acceptable in theory...but in practice, alas, it has been taken by another character so is off the table since I want as little overlap in power themes as humanly possible. Sorry >.>

The character itself is perfectly acceptable! You'd just have to either pick a different power, or come up with an angle of his ability that makes it functionally differentiated enough from Dante to be "His Own Thing." :P

Shenzi

Oh, oh! So maybe I generalised too much on my end, I did not want the ability to be physical by any means. Taskmaster I do not think would suit what I had in mind, because I meant for it to be purely intellectual. I would otherwise like for Tobias to be an average Joe, likes to jog, lifts weights a few times a week, loves puppies and ice cream, etc. Were I told put him into a combative situation it would likely be a lot of very alarmed dodging on his part, and likely some tinkering with the lights and computers and the mechanics of things as the situation requires it. Not a punch-thrower.

If it's a unique trait he needs, then should I expand on it technologically? Maybe I switch his area of educational expertise to computer sciences and robotics, and that could play a large part of any fighting he might participate in? Not any sort of psionic bond with technology, no, but certainly a very deep comprehension? Would mix well with his power, he could make himself and others some.very neat toys this way.

If anything I think he would be beyond happy to NOT get in front of incoming blows from threatening sources. XD Kind of a sideline guy of sorts?

But I definitely do not want to step on your toes, friend, so if you dislike it I won't push the matter. I would still love to join, I can retract him if you would prefer?

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 10:26:46 AM
Oh, oh! So maybe I generalised too much on my end, I did not want the ability to be physical by any means. Taskmaster I do not think would suit what I had in mind, because I meant for it to be purely intellectual. I would otherwise like for Tobias to be an average Joe, likes to jog, lifts weights a few times a week, loves puppies and ice cream, etc. Were I told put him into a combative situation it would likely be a lot of very alarmed dodging on his part, and likely some tinkering with the lights and computers and the mechanics of things as the situation requires it. Not a punch-thrower.

Oh, I understand that, but Dante's power extends into the theoretical knowledge as well, so it would still be basically "The same but lesser" power. :P

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 10:26:46 AMIf it's a unique trait he needs, then should I expand on it technologically? Maybe I switch his area of educational expertise to computer sciences and robotics, and that could play a large part of any fighting he might participate in? Not any sort of psionic bond with technology, no, but certainly a very deep comprehension? Would mix well with his power, he could make himself and others some.very neat toys this way.

Well, we do need a Technopath! If you want to focus his abilities on tinkering and technology, then by all means, go ahead!

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 10:26:46 AMBut I definitely do not want to step on your toes, friend, so if you dislike it I won't push the matter. I would still love to join, I can retract him if you would prefer?

Psh, I don't mind :P I'm only saying that the original idea is too similar to an already possessed power, and I don't want any overlap between any of the characters. Everybody should have something unique that only they can do, no?

PentheWonderful

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 02:18:36 PM
Alright! I shall try again~

Sorry for the delayed reply! I went for a hike with my family and was starving afterward, had to get some food in me after all that walkinf and swimming and hill climbing. My mother has such a strange definition of fun- not that it's news to me, but I'm still going to feel it tomorrow. I know it. @v@;;

So here's this, what do you think of the power now? I did try to turn it down, because while I was thinking of Vision, I am NOT trying to make a replica of him. He would be far, far too much for this thread, and I don't even know every one of his powers off the top of my head to begin with. He has way too many!

I just hope I worded it well! If you don't like it, I will make the appropriate edits or choose another power. <3

Bonjour lovely~ I'm Pen, and seeing as Vergil is still offline, I'll take over for him for a little bit so we can get you moving along faster~
First of all, may I just say I love your enthusiasm? We'll get along great ;)

Name: Tobias Calhoun
Sex: Male
Position: Teacher: Would say Computer Science and Robotics Club instructor, and a fill-in for P.E. when needed.

Archetype: 'Big Brother'/'All-Arounder'; A large, sweater-wearing hug-monster, happy to see everyone all of the time. Athlete. Robotics/Engineering enthusiast/hobbyist. Blatant nerdiness.

Well hello there, gorgeous >u>

Power Theme: Technopathy - Capable of communicating and interacting with electronics telekinetically. This would allow him to issue devices basic commands, like 'Open/Close', 'On/Off', 'Stop', 'Delete', 'Lock/Unlock', etc, but for anything more complex, he would have to enter the desired command or content manually while he is 'linked in' to the device of choice. Accessing and browsing the internet, fixing broken hardware and software, data manipulation, bypassing cybersecurity, and peeping through encrypted data and programs are all possible, though are easier projects to facilitate while he is touching them or are less than about a foot (0.3 meters) from his person.

As I see it, I would like him to be able to entertain two different trains of thought or conversations at once so long as he is not under stress. One with other people, his opinions, or his physical environment, and the other with whatever device he needs or wants to access at the time.

Things like sifting through security footage, fixing disconnected or malfunctioning phones and computers, starting vehicles, and using his ability to enhance the mechanical constructs of his engineering prowess are other applications of the ability I'd like to incorporate, but those would be restricted to his operating on a touch-only basis. I imagine they would take quite a bit more time and so would need some real focus.

Okey dokey, first things first, I appreciate that you were willing to specialize Tobias' power. However, I have to be a stickler here and say that it's bordering a bit too much like an already existing character's power.

I'm going to leave our Active Characters Thread here so you can browse through and get a good idea of what we're going for, and maybe give you some ideas on where to expand our powers that's unique to your character. :-) (If you scroll to the very bottom to the character Callum Ince, you'll see what I mean when I say bordering)

That being said, if you would like to go with the Technopath route, I can recommend your character focusing more on the physical aspects of engineering. Basically, more hardware than software. (ex. Building physical gadgets and tech as opposed to, say, hacking or poking around the digital world)

I would still like for him to be intelligent, but not the Lex Luthor grade I'd presented before, more of an established engineering geek with a new set of eyes? I still want to roll with a utility setup that I can apply differently as immediate needs and situations change.

Yes, I love this. :D
Can you tell me more about this Utility Setup you have planned?

As a side note, I would like to say that he would not be able to lift and transport or psionically assemble/reassemble any of the devices he's interacting with. So anything he made himself would be made by hand and anything he fixed is either software-based or repaired with his hands, because it would be more of a conversational utility between him and electronics than a power capable of physical manipulations. So he'd still be more of a ranged fighter with cool gadgets if he gets around to any fighting to begin with.

I love this part, and it'd be especially cool if he eventually develops the ability to build things impromptu just from the things around him.

He might be a bit like Vision in his ability to poke around the net (not with a computerized brain, no) but also wouldn't be like Vision where he could access and preside over the world's nuclear weapon systems with his mind.

This part, not so much, as I have already explained why. :-)

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 02:18:36 PMAs I see it, I would like him to be able to entertain two different trains of thought or conversations at once so long as he is not under stress. One with other people, his opinions, or his physical environment, and the other with whatever device he needs or wants to access at the time.

This one, I'm not so certain about. Possibly as an Intermediate Power; starting out, he has to focus on the task at hand, but when he gets more experience, then he can entertain other conversations. BUT. This would depend on the complexity of the train of thought and the task at hand. EG, if he was simply opening the door or browsing the internet? He can entertain things like "What would you like to do this weekend?"
However, if he was trying to break through encrpted software, he ain't chatting during that. He has to concentrate.

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 02:18:36 PMfixing disconnected or malfunctioning phones and computers, starting vehicles, and using his ability to enhance the mechanical constructs of his engineering prowess are other applications of the ability I'd like to incorporate, but those would be restricted to his operating on a touch-only basis. I imagine they would take quite a bit more time and so would need some real focus.

As Pen has already pointed out, Callum already has Software Based Technopathy, but I would be more than happy to introduce an Engineering Technopath into the mix, so he's more of a Gadgeteer than a Computer Hacker. :P

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 02:18:36 PMI would still like for him to be intelligent, but not the Lex Luthor grade I'd presented before, more of an established engineering geek with a new set of eyes? I still want to roll with a utility setup that I can apply differently as immediate needs and situations change.

Intelligent in engineering is sensible, given his position as a teacher. But just be careful; without his power, he is not Tony Stark. :P

ALSO.

Could he do complex things like break encryption? Extract specific information? Analyze and "Troubleshoot" Tech? Etc etc? How long would it take him to do that?

ALSO ALSO.

Quote from: PentheWonderful on May 28, 2018, 05:57:05 PM
Bonjour lovely~ I'm Pen, and seeing as Vergil is still offline, I'll take over for him for a little bit so we can get you moving along faster~
First of all, may I just say I love your enthusiasm? We'll get along great ;)

I'm always online.

Always.

Watching you.

Quote from: PentheWonderful on May 28, 2018, 05:57:05 PMWell hello there, gorgeous >u>

AHEM. Dante is right here.
:P

PentheWonderful

Vergil Tanner

Who says? You belong to me nowl. I just need to get around to branding you...

:P

Shenzi

Hi, hi! It's nice to meet you! ^w^ <3
I am enthusiastic about most things in life, so I'm glad it's not annoying you, new friend!
I apologize for not catching onto what you were both saying before. If I'm understanding, I chose powers that ran parallel to not one but two that were already in the thread? So let me try this one more time-

The reason I was okay settling for Technopathy was because his areas of expertise are what I'm going to school for. So I can for sure go with the engineering specialty but call it something else entirely.... Hrrrm.

Mechanical Intuition. I looked through all the accepted sheets, and I looked for a proper title for what we're discussing. =D So that's what I'll go with. Third time's the charm:

Name: Tobias Calhoun
Sex: Male
Position: Teacher: Would say Computer Science and Robotics Club instructor, and a fill-in for P.E. when needed.

Archetype: 'Big Brother'/'All-Arounder'; A large, sweater-wearing hug-monster, happy to see everyone all of the time. Athlete. Robotics/Engineering enthusiast/hobbyist. Blatant nerdiness.

Power Theme: Mechanical Intuition/Aptitude - The power to have an innate understanding of mechanics with little or no study.

As I'm reading the article, I see a perfect description of what I'm after.

"The user can intuitively understand the operation of any mechanical device and subconsciously/effortlessly create a schematic in their mind. Many users are able to make complex devices or weapons out of mere scrap and "garbage"."

Everything he makes would, again, be made by hand, and this power is a lot more hands-on than the technopathy because it's still essentially engineering, meaning he'd still have to go through the motions of building, disassembling, or reassembling whatever it is he's working on by hand with the help of other machinery. He could still apply it to other machines and mechanisms, and could use it to mentally 'scan' and physically replicate the things he's inspected/inspecting. So as far as platforming for utilities goes, I'd love for him to at some point have a little kit of his own special tools that he's made himself. This way he's a glorified handyman and y'know, I feel like maybe it'd be a more interesting contrast if he was actually a simpler guy and could build or fix any piece of machinery you put in front of him. I do like the humor in it, where people would think he's just big happy and clueless but he can build a supercomputer with nothing but old parts, sucky whistling, and good intentions in a matter of mere hours.

He could apply the power to different things, because it's really just a super-scanner that would allow for plenty of tinkering on his part. So he could use it to pick pretty much any physical lock, fix a broken household appliance, replace car parts or get a bashed up car running again, build entirely new, totally awesome constructs of his own design, pilot various vehicles, craft sturdy Faraday shields/cages for his toys so as to protect them from EMP's, and repair/operate firearms (not to pose as a shooter, just for demonstrations). I could give him some pretty cool new hobbies and build on the ones he already has this way, as he finds out what he can do.

In all, I'd still like to give him some computer proficiency because he is still a teacher, but cut it short there. No telekinetic websurfing, no virtual 'open sesame' tricks, no Matrix-y stuff... but I would actually otherwise love it if he was sort of a bumbling idiot who is partial to hugs and coffee. Precious. <3

Does that look a little bit better? I hope so. Dx

PentheWonderful

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 08:20:18 PM
Hi, hi! It's nice to meet you! ^w^ <3
I am enthusiastic about most things in life, so I'm glad it's not annoying you, new friend!
I apologize for not catching onto what you were both saying before. If I'm understanding, I chose powers that ran parallel to not one but two that were already in the thread?

Yeah, we've got quite a versatile cast on our hands. ^^;

The reason I was okay settling for Technopathy was because his areas of expertise are what I'm going to school for. So I can for sure go with the engineering specialty but call it something else entirely.... Hrrrm.

Mechanical Intuition. I looked through all the accepted sheets, and I looked for a proper title for what we're discussing. =D So that's what I'll go with.

Power Theme: Mechanical Intuition/Aptitude - The power to have an innate understanding of mechanics with little or no study.

As I'm reading the article, I see a perfect description of what I'm after.

"The user can intuitively understand the operation of any mechanical device and subconsciously/effortlessly create a schematic in their mind. Many users are able to make complex devices or weapons out of mere scrap and "garbage"."

Everything he makes would, again, be made by hand, and this power is a lot more hands-on than the technopathy because it's still essentially engineering, meaning he'd still have to go through the motions of building, disassembling, or reassembling whatever it is he's working on by hand with the help of other machinery. He could still apply it to other machines and mechanisms, and could use it to mentally 'scan' and physically replicate the things he's inspected/inspecting. So as far as platforming for utilities goes, I'd love for him to at some point have a little kit of his own special tools that he's made himself. This way he's a glorified handyman and y'know, I feel like maybe it'd be a more interesting contrast if he was actually a simpler guy and could build or fix any piece of machinery you put in front of him. I do like the humor in it, where people would think he's just big happy and clueless but he can build a supercomputer with nothing but old parts, sucky whistling, and good intentions in a matter of mere hours.

He could apply the power to different things, because it's really just a super-scanner that would allow for plenty of tinkering on his part. So he could use it to pick pretty much any physical lock, fix a broken household appliance, replace car parts or get a bashed up car running again, build entirely new, totally awesome constructs of his own design, pilot various vehicles, craft sturdy Faraday shields/cages for his toys so as to protect them from EMP's, and repair/operate firearms (not to pose as a shooter, just for demonstrations). I could give him some pretty cool new hobbies and build on the ones he already has this way, as he finds out what he can do.

This sounds good! :D
I love the idea of a highly skilled and capable handyman under the guise of a lovable goof who looks like he can't even work the coffee machine XD

Anyway, let's move on to working on some limits and weaknesses to the power, shall we? Flesh it out some more. :D
We'll separate it to 3 levels to make things simple: Beginner, Intermediate, and Mastery.

Where do you see Tobias' powers at these three levels? What are some setbacks of his power? What are his limits?

In all, I'd still like to give him some computer proficiency because he is still a teacher, but cut it short there. No telekinetic websurfing, no virtual 'open sesame' tricks, no Matrix-y stuff... but I would actually otherwise love it if he was sort of a bumbling idiot who is partial to hugs and coffee. Precious. <3

Precious indeed <3 <3
Also, standard computer proficiency is fine, especially if he's teaching something along the lines of IT. :P

Shenzi

Three levels?

I would say the beginning stages might be just repairs and assembly/disassembly. He might start to notice he understands the mechanical layout of things and start pulling things apart and putting them back together to practice and play with the new skill and would most likely start trying to apply it as an aide for others. Fixing sinks, tending to lighting and lighting fixtures, sprucing up old or busted computers, etc. Nothing overly intricate, just the makings of a really good handyman.

Intermediate usages might start to include enhancements to preexisting mechanisms, and this is likely when I would have him start making his own tools and making 'edits' to things in his house for fun. He might also have started to notice that vehicles have gotten easier to operate and assess, which would go doubly for new vehicles he's never ridden or had to fix before, like, say, motorcycles or larger trucks. Incorporating his background in robotics would work here and he could begin to try his hand at smaller, simplistic gadgets.

A Mastery of the power would be the application of the first two levels at the same time, and the usages and results would be quite a bit more complex. Maybe he's making hand-to-hand combat weaponry to kill time, and has made a titanium Bo staff with various extra features? Maybe he had the spare parts lying around and made himself an eight-slot super-toaster so as to better accommodate guests? Maybe he doesn't feel like looking for the remote anymore and wires a control panel into the arm of his couch? This is where the power would have the most creative freedom.

As far as weaknesses might go, I could see his relaxed, simplistic personality being a bit of a liability in a fight. His area of expertise lies in things with gears and wires and electricity, so I could see people getting a little exasperated with him because he takes his time with everything and he has never had an urgent or rushed bone in his body. He's basically a really nice moron and his brain is filled to the brim with robotics information and cute puppies and a list of the best coffee places in town.

He could also be limited by parts. If something vital to the project is not readily available, he can't very well finish the piece with a smile and a wave. He can't pull the parts out of a magic hat, and can't conceptualize them with his mind or anything like that, so he may either have to scrap the project or improvise again to save the first improvisation. As it stands, I'd have it so his family owns a junkyard and he might fish neat finds out of it from time to time, take them home, and make use of them himself.

PentheWonderful

Quote from: supermouse on May 28, 2018, 09:53:15 PM
Three levels?

I would say the beginning stages might be just repairs and assembly/disassembly. He might start to notice he understands the mechanical layout of things and start pulling things apart and putting them back together to practice and play with the new skill and would most likely start trying to apply it as an aide for others. Fixing sinks, tending to lighting and lighting fixtures, sprucing up old or busted computers, etc. Nothing overly intricate, just the makings of a really good handyman.

Intermediate usages might start to include enhancements to preexisting mechanisms, and this is likely when I would have him start making his own tools and making 'edits' to things in his house for fun. He might also have started to notice that vehicles have gotten easier to operate and assess, which would go doubly for new vehicles he's never ridden or had to fix before, like, say, motorcycles or larger trucks. Incorporating his background in robotics would work here and he could begin to try his hand at smaller, simplistic gadgets.

A Mastery of the power would be the application of the first two levels at the same time, and the usages and results would be quite a bit more complex. Maybe he's making hand-to-hand combat weaponry to kill time, and has made a titanium Bo staff with various extra features? Maybe he had the spare parts lying around and made himself an eight-slot super-toaster so as to better accommodate guests? Maybe he doesn't feel like looking for the remote anymore and wires a control panel into the arm of his couch? This is where the power would have the most creative freedom.

As far as weaknesses might go, I could see his relaxed, simplistic personality being a bit of a liability in a fight. His area of expertise lies in things with gears and wires and electricity, so I could see people getting a little exasperated with him because he takes his time with everything and he has never had an urgent or rushed bone in his body. He's basically a really nice moron and his brain is filled to the brim with robotics information and cute puppies and a list of the best coffee places in town.

He could also be limited by parts. If something vital to the project is not readily available, he can't very well finish the piece with a smile and a wave. He can't pull the parts out of a magic hat, and can't conceptualize them with his mind or anything like that, so he may either have to scrap the project or improvise again to save the first improvisation. As it stands, I'd have it so his family owns a junkyard and he might fish neat finds out of it from time to time, take them home, and make use of them himself.

Well, this all looks good for me! But we'll wait and see if Vergil has anything more to ask :D