Mid-to-high level D&D 3.5? (Basically Full)

Started by TheGlyphstone, August 02, 2010, 08:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

And happy to, I love bringing new converts away from the bleak wasteland that is core melee (except the barbarian) and into the glorious light of truth that is the ToB.

Latooni Subota

Way to scare off a DM by mentioning perfectly valid points about DnD! Jeez guys! ;)

When it comes to thief games, it's all about the Changeling Rogueshaper, or Bard/Illusionist/Ultimate Magus. Thievery x10 :D
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Kunoichi

Oh?  And here I had this Mystic Wild Shape Ranger/Rogue/Daggerspell Shaper in mind that could also cast Wizard spells through use of the Sword of the Arcane Order feat... :P

Ixy

Ok, not to detract from ubering, but... if we're trying to attract a GM, we could talk about setting, theme, or modules..?

TheGlyphstone

Pffft. Straight Bard. Never leave the safety of your comfortable mansion, while your legions of Fanatically devoted Diplomacy-obtained and Charmed minions do your thieving for you.

But yeah, we should discuss what we want to do. Personally, a plane-hopping adventure could be quite fun. Planescape veterans are hard to find these days though, and ones who are willing to play 3.5 instead of sticking to 2nd are even harder.

Kunoichi

True. ^^; For a theoretical Thieves' Guild themed game, I think the best possible setting would be a 'City of Adventure' where the guild would be based.  Somewhere like Sigil, for example, though I'm not sure if a proper Thieves' Guild could operate in Sigil itself.

Alternately, depending on the plot, world travel could make for an interesting theme.  Retrieving a set of artifacts that have been scattered to the four winds by the fickle hand of fate, for example.  Reuniting the Nine Swords of the Sublime Way, perhaps?  Or any other set of scattered items.  We could even go after Vecna's Eye and Hand, if you really wanted to get old-school about it...

Latooni Subota

FR: Waterdeep or Cormyr are decent choices for obvious reasons.
Eberron: Sharn. Totally. What's better than a thieves guild in a city? A thieves guild in a city with airships and magic carpets!
World's Largest City: Suicidal to be in and run, but fun none the less. :)
Ptolus: Well, it's PTOLUS! Even if some of the setting quirks are weird, it's a nice city-based setting.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

WyzardWhately

I've heard good things of Ptolus.

But for the real ultimate city game: City-state of the Invincible Overlord.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Katina Tarask

Like I said, I could DM, but I'm not so sure about running a thieves' guild game at these levels.  "Steal stuff" is rather petty for that level.  We're talking more on the order of cosmic-scale demonic invasion.

Anyways, I'm thinking 10th-level gestalt with pretty much anything, including some third-party stuff.  (I love Secrets of Pact Magic.)

TheGlyphstone

Ebberon's not really conducive to high-level play, though. FR is better, but it kinda goes overkill with its epic-level innkeepers.

I just heard the word 'gestalt'. As a man, my vocal chords are incapable of 'squeeeeee'ing, but my brain does need to reboot.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 05, 2010, 04:19:20 PM
Like I said, I could DM, but I'm not so sure about running a thieves' guild game at these levels.  "Steal stuff" is rather petty for that level.  We're talking more on the order of cosmic-scale demonic invasion.

I have only one response to that.

Carmen Sandiego. :P

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 05, 2010, 04:19:20 PM

Anyways, I'm thinking 10th-level gestalt with pretty much anything, including some third-party stuff.  (I love Secrets of Pact Magic.)

I was never married to the idea of a Thieve's Guild game, but a level 10 Gestalt one with any kind of interesting premise (including "sandbox," even) could definitely grab my interest.

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 05, 2010, 04:21:54 PM
I have only one response to that.

Carmen Sandiego. :P

Heh.  Carmen Sandiego was one of my first crushes.

Oh, how I longed to finally catch her and slap the cuffs on.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

TheGlyphstone

Well, she sneaks around the world from Khorvaire to Sarlona,
She's a plane-hopping filcher from Faerun down to Krynn.
She'll take you for a ride on a slow spelljammer to Sigil. Tell me
Where in the multiverse is Carmen Sandiego?

PhantomPistoleer

If Katrina is running a gestalt thieves' campaign, please put me down as interested!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Katina Tarask

Katrina is someone else entirely (Where does everyone get the R from in my name?), and I don't like the idea of a thieves' guild at this level.  (I prefer 2-6 for thieves.)

How does a kingdom-building type campaign sound?  Everyone'd get Landlord (Stronghold Builder's Guide) and Leadership (with cohorts/minions not as on-screen combatants; they'd do things like securing territory) as bonus feats.  Exploiting resources, oppressing neighbors, that sort of thing.  Of course, D&D doesn't have many mechanics for the actual kingdom management, so that would be a sideline to more active stuff like personally "dealing with" threats from without and within.

PhantomPistoleer

:k

At any rate, I'd be interested in playing a factotum wizard.  Mahaha.

I love gestalts.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 05, 2010, 04:38:51 PM
Katrina is someone else entirely (Where does everyone get the R from in my name?), and I don't like the idea of a thieves' guild at this level.  (I prefer 2-6 for thieves.)

How does a kingdom-building type campaign sound?  Everyone'd get Landlord (Stronghold Builder's Guide) and Leadership (with cohorts/minions not as on-screen combatants; they'd do things like securing territory) as bonus feats.  Exploiting resources, oppressing neighbors, that sort of thing.  Of course, D&D doesn't have many mechanics for the actual kingdom management, so that would be a sideline to more active stuff like personally "dealing with" threats from without and within.

Intriguing.  There aren't kingdom management rules, but there were business management rules (one of the later DMGs or PHBs.) 

You might also consider importing the Wealth feats from Iron Heroes.  They were feats you could literally buy, with money, and they represented social status and similar.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 05, 2010, 04:38:51 PM

Stronghold Builder's Guide? Leadership? Are you hacking my brain and marking off a checklist of 'stuff I would love to have in a game'? ;D

(BTW, the business rules in DMGII are unworkable. The most profitable business is an uninhabited shack in the woods.)

Latooni Subota

You know I always love your ideas, Katina. <3

WyzardWhately

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 05, 2010, 04:45:04 PM
(BTW, the business rules in DMGII are unworkable. The most profitable business is an uninhabited shack in the woods.)

Then that is what I shall have!

I never did run the numbers on it, but it did look fairly difficult to ever get a reasonable ROI.

Katina Tarask

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on August 05, 2010, 04:42:21 PMAt any rate, I'd be interested in playing a factotum wizard.  Mahaha.
Cunning Surge is limited to 1/round, of course.
Quote from: WyzardWhately on August 05, 2010, 04:44:23 PM
Intriguing.  There aren't kingdom management rules, but there were business management rules (one of the later DMGs or PHBs.) 

You might also consider importing the Wealth feats from Iron Heroes.  They were feats you could literally buy, with money, and they represented social status and similar.
The DMG2 business rules are an unusable mess.  Though I may want to see if I can't get my hands on Kingmaker to see how they deal with it.

The wealth feats, I'll have to look into.

Most likely, there'll be some form of capital as currency separate from your own personal gear allotment.  Wealth feats may be a part of how that works.
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 05, 2010, 04:45:04 PMStronghold Builder's Guide? Leadership? Are you hacking my brain and marking off a checklist of 'stuff I would love to have in a game'? ;D
I don't know.  Does your mind include a mobile fortress with giant arms for punching other mobile fortresses? :P  (Though that's actually difficult to manage on any decent-sized fortress.  Mobility is expensive.  And giant building-punching arms are hard to find rules for.)

PhantomPistoleer

So would this be like Nobunaga's Ambition where all of the players own a fiefdom and control it but work with others for a like goal, or would it be like Civilization in which all of the players work against one another?  I'm for the former, against the latter. :i

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

ulthakptah

I've had an idea for a gestalt character that I've been wanting to use, and requires a bit of the source books, so I'm definitely in.

ff

Why do people love gestalt so much? As opposed to just being more powerful by playing a higher level?