3.5/Pathfinder dungeon (Closed from recruitment)

Started by Wandering Mind, December 13, 2017, 06:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

If it turns otu to be relevent, in the 3.5 book Player's Guide to Faerun there's an ECL 0 "lesser tiefling'.  The  only diference is that their type--outsider--changes to Humanoid--planetouched 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Chulanowa

Honestly, I'd just go with Pathfinder wherever there's overlap. Especially on races, since 3.5 had some really weird and overly cautious ideas about balancing them. Tieflings get +1 LA for no reason other than they're outsiders. Woo, I can't be affected by Hold person, totally worth screwing up character progression forever.

Basically, I think the idea here is "pathfinder, with access to 3.5 stuff if you want it"  ;D

Wandering Mind

To prevent confusion, I'm going to ask that each character use one system exclusively despite how the other system handles any races, classes, feats, spell, and etc. 

Considering how many people are interested, I am going to have to cut off anymore new applicants.  I may even have to narrow down depending on how many are still around next week.
Estimated response rate: 3 to 10 days.
Owed Posts: Too many
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Thorne

Tieflings - and Aasimar, for that matter - also got some nifty powers, resistances and stat boosts that other races didn't. The plane-touched as a group were and are fairly buff, when compared. I just like the built-in hot water generator they come with that makes for interesting roleplay stuff. >.>

Kiva

Kiva

Female oni-spawn tiefling brawler 1 (Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of Fiends 22, Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide 23, Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 264)
CN Medium outsider (native)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +4

Description:  Kiva stands five inches shy of six feet tall in her bare feet. Some might have called her pretty, if they got to see her in repose; few do, and her abrupt manner rarely makes her any friends. Her knuckles and forearms are striped with scars that show up pale on her ruddy skin, and even standing still she seems restless.

--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 16, touch 12, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +2 Dex)
hp 11 (1d10+1)
Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +0
Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee unarmed strike +5 (1d6+3)
Special Attacks martial flexibility 4/day
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Atk +1; CMB +4; CMD 16
Feats Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus (unarmed strike)
Traits ever wary, vandal
Skills Acrobatics +4, Climb +5, Disguise +1, Escape Artist +4, Intimidate +1, Knowledge (local) +6, Perception +4, Profession (soldier) +4, Sense Motive +4; Racial Modifiers +2 Disguise, +2 Intimidate
Languages Common, Dwarven, Infernal, Orc
SQ brawler's cunning, martial training

Equipment:
Carried: lamellar (leather) armor (Masterwork) [UC],  dagger, darkwood light crossbow, masterwork backpack[APG], belt pouch, quiver, hip flask[UE].
Quiver: acid bolt, blunted bolts (10), crossbow bolts (20)
Pack: bedroll, hemp rope (50 ft.), torch (5), trail rations (5), potion of cure moderate wounds, potion of shield of faith +3, acid, mirror, silk rope (50 ft.), sunrod (5),
Belt Pouch: flint and steel,  waterskin, whetstone, 2 gp, 9 sp, 8 cp

--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Brawler's Cunning (Ex) Count as Int 13 for the purpose of combat feat pre-requisites.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Energy Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Cold attacks.
Energy Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Energy Resistance, Fire (5) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Fire attacks.
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Martial Flexibility (move action, 4/day) (Ex) As a Move action, gain a combat feat for 1 min. More gained for greater actions.
Martial Training (Ex) Brawler levels count as fighter/monk levels for feat/item pre-reqs and effects.
--------------------
Background:
       She applied to the city guard early, and ended up farmed out to the standing army almost immediately. They put her in with the rest of the misfits and irregulars, as motley a crew as Kiva had ever heard of. They got thrown in for suicide runs, rear guard and other crap details the rest of the army was too good for.
   If the others minded, they didn't say anything. Kiva certainly minded; rear guard was boring and suicide missions got old after the second or third one. She wasn't sure if she was luckier than the others, or just harder to kill, but she was still alive, and starting to be considered a fixture of the squad. Then their neighbor decided he wanted the land and people. Rather than fight a war, he had their ruler and his family, and anyone else who might have taken over assassinated. Quick, clean, cut and dried. The remaining soldiers were absorbed, and Kiva found herself rather suddenly out of a job.
   "What do you mean, no? I was three years in the shit brigade, and this is what it gets me?" Kiva registered the irritation on the officer's face perfectly well. She just ignored it. "Out on the streets without even severance?"
   "Honoured veterans get severance. You're just street trash. Remove her..." The officer waved a hand, and Kiva growled and braced, refusing to be 'removed'.
   "You can't /do/ tha-aaagh!" It took four men to drag her out, and four more to make sure she stayed out. Not one of them emerged unscathed; Kiva didn't need a weapon to hurt people. She looked around, at leveled weapons, and a handful of elites, knights and other sundry armored morons, some mounted, some not. An orderly tossed a bulging rucksack in her general direction; it landed in the mud with a heavy splat and spilled open. Kiva stared at it, and again looked around. By now the audience had grown to include a handful of the townspeople, many of whom were mumbling as they watched her gather her gear from the mud. 
   Kiva trudged away, mud dripping down her back, growling under her breath. Housing, a job, all of the things that had been provided, she would have to find. The first trick was a job.
   "Need a bouncer?"   
   "Ain't hirin'; specially not you hellspawn." The sixth tavern owner in a row told her a variant of the same thing they had all been saying. "Get out with you."
   Kiva gritted her teeth. Being polite and friendly - the key to attaining employment! - wasn't easy for her, especially after the long day she had been having. She muttered a curse and walked out. It was getting dark, and the next three taverns didn't serve tieflings. Kiva spent that night in a rat-infested hole; her muddy bedroll was cleaner than the bed. She awoke at dawn to find a contengent of the town guard on her doorstep; tieflings were no longer welcome within the city walls.
   "You're.. throwing me out?" Kiva wasn't awake enough for this to make sense.
   "Right now." They were armed, and naked steel was lifted meaningfully.
   Kiva lifted her hands. "Easy. Let.. me get my gear." She was packed and ready in less than five minutes. They shoved her out the main gate not ten minutes later, and with no better plan, Kiva started walking. Exiled? Years of service, loyalty .. and this was what it got her. She grumbled for a while, then her stomach started grumbling for her. Kiva was still walking by the time noon rolled around. She was still walking when the sun began to fall. The bandits found her just around sunset.
   "Your money or your life!"
   Kiva sighed. "Tradtionalists. How nice. I don't /have/ any money, you idiot." She rolled her shoulder, dropping her pack to the path. "You're welcome to try for my life."
   Arrows answered that, prompting Kiva to dive behind a tree. They came at her with axes and clubs. Kiva answered with her fists. A lunge here, a swipe there. Dodging under a wild swing, she caught an arm and pivoted, swinging its owner into the line of attack from one of the others, a man with an axe. His head split like a melon, and Kiva dropped him. The axe-wielding man swore and jerked his weapon loose. Kiva was already moving to take the next, planting sharp elbows in his soft gut, then cracking his face open on her knee. She ducked the axe-wielder, sidestepping and dropping into a crouch. Her next punch knocked the axe-wielder back into one of his friends, and Kiva was quick to take advantage of their confusion.
   A sharp set of punches to the gut put that one down where she could break his neck, but she had to run the last one to ground. Kiva straightened from his twisted corpse, panting. Four bandits, with little on their person, meant there were probably more somewhere. Kiva walked back to search the remaining three, and retrieve her pack. She found little of value, and no one living to tell her where they had come from.
   "Feh. Useless." Kiva straightened and turned, hefting her pack and continuing down the road. She rubbed one of her horns as she walked, muttering under her breath as she chewed on a piece of jerky taken from the pouches of her assailants. They supplied her with waterskins and limited rations, if not information. "And if I'm lucky, I won't starve or freeze. Damn the nobility anyway." Kiva muttered.

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

RSGAlex

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 16, 2017, 03:01:12 AM
Honestly, I'd just go with Pathfinder wherever there's overlap. Especially on races, since 3.5 had some really weird and overly cautious ideas about balancing them. Tieflings get +1 LA for no reason other than they're outsiders. Woo, I can't be affected by Hold person, totally worth screwing up character progression forever.

Basically, I think the idea here is "pathfinder, with access to 3.5 stuff if you want it"  ;D

I had a character I was going to submit before a refresh showed me submission was closed. But so as to not waste the rest of the post, I'm cutting my text down to just that.

The real benefits the native outsiders get are proficiency with all Martial weapons (for some builds that's worth a level there), having outsider as a type option for Polymorph/Alter Selft, and not being Extraplanar for the purpose of spells that care for it. There's other benefits to being an Outsider, but they're either factored into being an Aasimar/Tiefling .

Just think of it like this. A 13th level Tiefling wizard can Polymorph into an Astral Daeva angel multiple times a good few levels before a humanoid wizard could. Sure, it lacks the befits of Shapechanging into an Astral Daeva, but getting 22 STR, 18 DEX, and 18 Con is almost worth the cost of the spell.

Don't feel like looking Holy, Holy, Holy? How about becoming a Barbed Devil? It's better in a fight even if you're not willing to grapple. Feel like being silly? Turn into a Succubus or Incubus.

Just expect to get Sternly Looked at, at best.
Signature Recreation Pending....

Downloading Drivers 1 of @*.

Please wait warmly.

HopeFox

Neeral

Neeral grew up in the warrens of the Flaming Descent tribe, a tribe of kobolds that served the red dragon Koraxatalan, and had done so for all of their recorded history. They lived in the tunnels and caverns behind Koraxatalan's lair, where they mined for gold and gems to add to the glory of their master's hoard.

The Flaming Descent tribe worshipped Koraxatalan, both figuratively and literally - he was the centre of the tribe's purpose, and the one to whom they offers their prayers every day. The eldest and most talented of the tribe were permitted to labour in their patron's presence, helping to hollow out his lair in the precise fashion he desired, and lay the traps that would ensnare would-be treasure hunters and dragon slayers who dared to broach the caverns. Neeral was apprenticed to the tribe's chief trapsmith, learning all about the mechanical and magical means by which the tunnels could be secured against intrusion. On some days, she had the honour of working in the lair itself, and Koraxatalan's size, strength, ferocity and beauty filled her heart with worship, admiration and lust. She wanted nothing more than to be the dragon's treasured servant, toiling in his presence all her life.

All of that changed on the day Koraxatalan was slain. A party of adventurers - humans, elves, orcs, other races she had never seen before - came to the lair, somehow surviving all of the traps her tribe had laid, and vanquished their patron and god. Neeral had been tinkering with a mechanism in one of the side tunnels, and had watched the entire fight from behind a cluster of rocks. The adventurers had killed Karaxatalan - not without some deaths among their own number - and butchered him for his heart and scales, while loading his hoard into wagons to take away.

What could Neeral do? How could she return to her tribe with the knowledge that their ancient master was dead? In the end, Koraxatalan was no god, merely another creature who could be killed. The foundation of her world was shattered, and nothing would ever be the same.

In the end, Neeral abandoned her tribe and struck out into the outside world, looking for a new purpose in life. Her skills as a trapsmith were in demand, and she soon made something of a name for herself, working as a mercenary or as a consultant for nobles wishing to secure their castles. She never found a home, though, nor a purpose, simply drifting from job to job as the winds took her.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Wandering Mind

Thanks for the additional information RSGAlex.  I'll try to get back to you if there ends up being room later.  I didn't expect to be so many people voicing their interest in just a few days.

Kiva and Neeral have some sad stories.  I'm impressed that Thorne already has a completed sheet ready.

I'm trying to figure out how games are run here so there might be a slow start up.  Anybody have a thread that they recommend that I take a look at?  When the game starts, I can't figure out how to consolidate everything to one place.  Do I just start something up in a sub board or is that something that's not available until a game gets large enough to warrant it?  I suppose I'm too used to another role playing site that I use.  A little surprised that I'm only seeing system in the Play-By-Post: Non-Consensual sections.  Oh well.

Anyway, a little about me and this game.

This game will be considered Non-Con(sensual) - This is for roleplays and stories where one party does not give their explicit consent. This can be quasi-consensual (where no really does mean yes) to outright rape.  I will inform you that outright rape is a subject that I will not be introducing into the game.  That's part of the spectrum that I'm not comfortable with so I'll ask that we refrain from venturing there.
Most of the NPCs that I run for possible sexual contact will be Human - The sexual participants in these stories and roleplays are either human, or close enough to it that there is little physical distinction - elves, nymphs, etc.  Just wanted to give a heads up on that and what I'm comfortable with.  You can check out my profile to see my preferences.  I'm not going to restrict PC interactions to this.  This is merely what I'm comfortable writing with.  Nor do you have to have any sexual interactions in this game at all.  Considering that we have a kobold, I'll open this into the exotic section if more than one person is interested in going direction.

Within the game/plot that I am devising, I would scale this at a 2 out of 5 for sexual content.  This does not include what the players may be initiating with NPCs or each other.
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Thorne

I .. have a whole folder full of technically complete characters, for at least a few different systems.

And that's not even counting all the orphans from games that started, went a few weeks/months and then crashed. ^^;

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

HopeFox

Neeral's sheet is linked underneath her picture. She is a bit sad, but being out from under the claws of her draconic master can only be a good thing in the long run, really.

I can see both system and freeform boards for Solo, Small Groups and Big Groups in the NC Human and NC Exotic areas. Generally, you pick a board (NC: Exotic-System Small Groups sounds like the right one) and post a few new threads there. You'll want one thread for IC play and another for OOC discussion. Some GMs add another thread just for character sheets, and also add extra IC threads for sexual interactions or other scenes that are separate enough from the main story to warrant their own thread. You can have a number of threads for a single game equal to twice the number of players, so that should be plenty.

Another consideration is whether you want people to have a particular posting style, such as a standard header with character name, current HP, active effects and so on. Personally I don't think that it needs to be standardized, but it is good for people to post active effects and other notes in their headers, so that there's no confusion about them later.

Take a look at any of the games on the boards, and you'll see the different ways in which people run them. Any of the posts in my post history are probably a good example.

I'm happy to steer clear of outright rape. I'm keen for Neeral to be very sexually active - that's why I'm on Elliquiy rather than some other site - so whatever anyone feels like, I'm up for it! That includes PCs and NPCs, whoever is interested, and I'm up for some dubious consent too, since Neeral is from a culture of strict hierarchy and submission to more powerful beings.

Chulanowa

Huh. So far it's a tiefling Brawler and a kobold rogue? (That image kinda cracks me up; considering how small kobolds are, what's that trap going to catch, a toe?)

I'm feeling like a sword-swinger or a finger-wriggler here. Just gotta find a dude who fits my aesthetic. I just hate the hulking scowly all-squares-no-curves style of fantasy dudes.

Wandering Mind

Ah.  I should have guessed that others kept their old characters.  I recently lost my desktop.  The motherboard was fried according to the professional that I brought it to.  At least I still have some of my characters on mythweavers.

Thank you for pointing out about the link to your character, Hopefox.  I had missed that.

I'll just ask the rest of you to give at least the basic background of your character, their sexual preference, race, and class.  While useful, the details and specific stats of your characters can wait until after the game starts since beginning of the game won't require any rolls.
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kathyan

And I was to go with a tiefling monk myself, mmm should I change to a different character or shall we have both of the tiefling unarmed girls share a background?

Thorne

Quote from: Kathyan on December 19, 2017, 12:14:05 AM
And I was to go with a tiefling monk myself, mmm should I change to a different character or shall we have both of the tiefling unarmed girls share a background?

I'm honestly not sure how that would work.
Mind, I say that about monks in western fantasy settings a lot, so you may take it with a grain or three of salt. ^^;

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Wandering Mind

Okay.  Once we get enough people submitting a basic concept, I'll start up an OOC thread for us to communicate on.  I would encourage (though will not require) for your character to know at least one other.  You should discuss that with one another if that's something you're interested in.

Here's the basic outline and time table.  Obviously, this can chance in accordance to how the game progresses.  It can move forward much more quickly but experience tells me that it is unlikely and will in fact take much longer.  The game will likely progress past 3rd level by the conclusion of the game.  I know few games/stories ever reach its conclusion for one reason or another.  If I drop out for any reason, I give permission for anybody else to continue the game.

Introduction and journey to the dungeon: Minimum of three months.  Will transition to a player driven story when the dungeon thread begins.  You can continue to role play with one another while you're waiting on the plot moving forward in the next thread.  Please keep it in the tone with the rest of the game.
First part of the dungeon: Minimum of six months
Second part of the dungeon: Players control the narrative while the third part of the dungeon begins.  Similar to the 1st income thread where you can continue your player driven narrative.  Please keep it in the tone with the rest of the game.
Third part of the dungeon and conclusion: Minimum of six months
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

HopeFox

Sounds like a good plan!

I'm happy for Neeral to have known other PCs through having worked together before as mercenaries. That's pretty much her social life these days. Before her master died, she wouldn't really have met anyone except other kobolds.

Re Z L

My current idea that I'm pretty settled on is a Gnome Shaman, just gotta put the pieces together...

That 15 point buy is hurting though  >_<
A&A

Thorne

It does force a certain amount of prioritizing... then again, so does a bad roll on 3d6. I'unno. I'm just here for the story.....

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Kathyan

Quote from: Re Z L on December 20, 2017, 02:27:02 PM
My current idea that I'm pretty settled on is a Gnome Shaman, just gotta put the pieces together...

That 15 point buy is hurting though  >_<
And I was thinking making a shaman instead of a onispawn tiefling monk now lol xD

HopeFox

Well, I promise that my kobold girl will try to get along with whoever she's traveling with. Even a gnome!

Callie Del Noire

Wandering Mind

Additional things you can expect out of this game.

- I will try to realistic about the expectations of this game.  I’ve come across too many people who claimed that they plan on taking games through 20 levels or something else that’s ridiculous and never hand out any experience or maintain the game for very long.  This game could probably be done in two tabletop sessions but that might mean that this game would take over a year in play by post.
- I will try to hand out experience rewards every couple of months.  I intend to keep this up more frequently but not making any promises.  I am currently contemplating some house rules on leveling up.  I'll let you know when I contemplate it some more.
- I will not be active.  I have other obligations that will take me away from this game.  It’s why near the beginning I stated that my average in-game posting rate will be weekly.  I will try to be more active but I guess we’ll see how this will turn out.  I may be open to having a co-GM to make sure to keep the game going in my absences.
- Attrition.  As some of you are already aware of, some players will drop out over time.  It’s a shame but it’s common place in play by post.  As such, I recommend that you limit posts about interacting with a specific character in a group setting.  For instance, asking the rogue a question about disarming a trap.  Instead, you can inquire to the group at large if anybody would disarm a trap.  There’s bound to be a little overlap with your skill sets and capabilities so there might be multiple people who can answer.  I’ve noticed that games can stall out sometimes as we’re waiting for a specific person to answer.
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Re Z L

Work in progress:

Tamari Kyri
CG Gnome Shaman (Level 1)

• Hair Color:  Blonde
  • Skin Color:  White
  • Eye Color:  Brown
  • Height:  3' 4"
  • Weight:  32 lbs
  • Sexual Preference:  Pansexual

Description

Endlessly curious, optimistic, and friendly, the little gnome prefers to avoid conflict when possible.  Peace, she feels, is a more natural state for people to be in and so does her best to remain that way.  Of course there are beings out there that don't necessarily share her viewpoint, but she doesn't let that get to her.  Sometimes she has feelings of inadequacy that lead her to having a more submissive personality, though she always tries her best in whatever the situation may be.  Of course that also means it's somewhat easy to bully her into quickly agreeing with the demands of others.  Her peaceful nature lent itself to a more passive role in adventuring, and so she prefers to heal others, or use her magic to impede whatever foe she runs into.

The small girl typically tends towards more natural colors in what she wears, favoring some dark greens.  She is on the thinner side for her species, which helps accentuate her more angular facial features.  Her short, blonde hair gives her pointed ears plenty of room to be visible to others, helping to distinguish her from the similarly built halflings.

Background

Tamari was something of a staple in her small community.  The village of Gnomes dwelled more in the forested areas of Faerun and so had little interaction with some of the more typical Gnomish enemies.  Still they had troubles from neighboring fey, or other stranger wandering dangers.  Tamari was the one that they relied on for healing.  She had learned at a young age what sorts of plants were good to use for a variety of purposes, and had also learned how to distil them into useful unguents, oils, potions, or elixirs to help soothe the ills of others.
A&A

RubySlippers

DnD 3.5, not sure of class likely a Conjurer they are fun and well a well structured build can make them a interesting character and its a fairly broad school of magic. And I have the rules and ample source materials official naturally I can use. I need to finish another character first.

Chulanowa

I just gotta decide what race i wanna use, and which image for that race, but I have a barbarian cooking up. Every team needs someone who can take a fireball to the face.