What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crowly

I probably won't ever play Grand Theft Auto: Mars (Read as: Red Faction) again, but I can't say I loathed it. I played it and it was fun but. Too easy and you can only screw around for so long.

Devil May Cry 2, for sure. Christ.

Guitar Hero: World Tour. I was waaayyy not impressed with that game.

And the Shining Force series. Not because I didn't like them. I loved them. I love them. I just wish I could wipe them from my brain so I wouldn't keep wishing I could play them again but they're impossible to find and they cost an arm and a leg last I checked. QQ

Oh, and Sewer Shark. That game was ass. An ass that has a fond place in my memory, but still just ass.

Inkidu

Quote from: Lyell on March 05, 2011, 03:59:06 AM
I wasn't very interested in Superman until DCUO. Taking him as your mentor means you get to save his ass from the fate depicted in the trailer, Lex killing him. They also try to humanize him a bit, giving him other weaknesses, sort of. Heroes actually have to save Smallville and the Kent farm from a LL experiment with Doomsday DNA and excobyte tech, notably without the ILA since only excobyte exposed people are immune to the effects.
What makes Superman so great is he is more or less universal. He's that embodiment of pure justice. He's the Beowulf or Aurthur of his time. He can be rehashed with every generation of superhero fanatics.

Yeah, Red Faction: Guerrilla really needed a more solid story line and some more variety. 

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

meikle

Quote from: Hemingway on February 23, 2011, 09:36:15 AM
Is Superman even interesting enough as a character? I mean, I've never been much of a comic fan, basically limiting myself to Batman and Alan Moore, so I may be missing something, but Superman just seems terribly ... flat and dull. I mean, not completely flat, but he seems to lack any sort of tragedy and ... real weakness.

A week or so late, but: Superman has plenty of character.  His character simply does not come in the form getting beat up.

Kingdom Come is a great example: a story about what it means to be a hero with uncompromising morals in a world that has given up on virtue.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Hemingway

Quote from: KaylaM on March 09, 2011, 06:12:16 AM
Command and Conquer 4: Good thing it was the final installment of the franchise, as it would have killed any inrterest in a sequel.

It was fun to play with a firend while shouting at each other over voice chat, but it had no replay value at all.

C&C was my childhood, but C&C4, I never even touched. However, I do read someone else now has the rights and is making a new one. Apparently it's not official yet, so ... guess it remains to be seen.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 09, 2011, 06:21:12 AM
C&C was my childhood, but C&C4, I never even touched. However, I do read someone else now has the rights and is making a new one. Apparently it's not official yet, so ... guess it remains to be seen.
I would like to see them give another FPS a shot. Sure Renegade was a God-awful mess, but still the potential for squad based combat (Star Wars: Republic Commando) is there.

Could you imagine being garrisoned in an office building when the Scrin invade with those buzzer swarms? The communication in C&C 3 was chilling enough, but to actually live it? @_@

I can dream.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2

I have had it with Games for Windows Live and you can't play the campaign without dealing with that shit, so they both go in the bin.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on March 09, 2011, 06:54:20 PM
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2

I have had it with Games for Windows Live and you can't play the campaign without dealing with that shit, so they both go in the bin.
I can't believe people tolerate that kind of crap. "Not only do you have to be online to play multiplayer. Now you have to be online to play the game at all! We are so piracy paranoid!"

Seriously, Blizzard did it with Starcraft II, and it's one (of many) reasons why I can't even look at their name without being disgusted. C&C 4 needed it.

When will you realize that it's a stupid freaking idea, game companies? I mean people like me who can't be connected to play anything worthwhile online. Seriously, what are you worried that I'll figure out some way of horse-powered software piracy? All your doing is stopping honest people from buying your game that they might want to play while the dishonest people steal them anyway, and then they don't have to worry about being online to play it anyway.

Another instance of punishing the good guy. :(

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on March 09, 2011, 09:38:23 PMSeriously, Blizzard did it with Starcraft II, and it's one (of many) reasons why I can't even look at their name without being disgusted. C&C 4 needed it.
True, and that is annoying, but at least Battle.net is something resembling stable most of the time compared to GfWL.

Still obnoxious though. Just not as much by comparison.
◕/◕'s

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 09, 2011, 04:58:18 PM
I would like to see them give another FPS a shot. Sure Renegade was a God-awful mess, but still the potential for squad based combat (Star Wars: Republic Commando) is there.

Could you imagine being garrisoned in an office building when the Scrin invade with those buzzer swarms? The communication in C&C 3 was chilling enough, but to actually live it? @_@

I can dream.

I find the Scrin, as they appeared in C&C3, were both unnecessary and dull. Crashed alien craft in the first two games hinted at something extraterrestrial, then they appear and what we get is the most clichéd, used-up concept ever, that served no real purpose other than to erect the portals for Kane. It would've been better if they just left the actual aliens out, but included their technology, the tacitus and all that.

C&C3 made Nod pretty interesting, though. It's pretty easy to sympathize, and Kane is a frighteningly charismatic figure.

bandit

Quote from: Inkidu on August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM
I want to know what video games you regret buying, owning, renting, and/or playing. You literally wish you could scrub your brain clean of the instance.

I don't remember the name of the game (as I've already partially blocked it from my mind obviously) but it was a gangster game where you made your own mob boss and had to manage the crime in your area of town and expand your criminal empire. Sounded cool in concept but they absolutely dropped the ball in practice. It was a poorly done, top down, mess that didn't deliver on any of the claims made on the box. It was an impulse buy several years ago and it broke me of impulse buys lol
the smiling bandit strikes again! haHahA

Read the deeper side of bandit here! Or just his o/o's here.

This hardcore ghetto gangster image takes a lot of practice.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 10, 2011, 02:47:55 PM
I find the Scrin, as they appeared in C&C3, were both unnecessary and dull. Crashed alien craft in the first two games hinted at something extraterrestrial, then they appear and what we get is the most clichéd, used-up concept ever, that served no real purpose other than to erect the portals for Kane. It would've been better if they just left the actual aliens out, but included their technology, the tacitus and all that.

C&C3 made Nod pretty interesting, though. It's pretty easy to sympathize, and Kane is a frighteningly charismatic figure.
To each his own. Personally though I thought the Scrin were awesome. The tech looked cool, they were pretty tough to beat, and to make it worse that was just what they brought along on a mining operation. Can you imagine if they actually brought an army? I thought there campaign was way too short, and if it had been longer and more developed they would come out better. Think about being down on the ground with your team and seeing one of those tripod walkers. Assault carriers in the sky. As much as I like Kane I don't really care much for the Nod units. The Avatar is pretty neat, but I guess I'm just a GDI guy at heart. Go mammoth tank for the win.

Oza

Definitely Warhammer Online.  Spent so much time on that game and the population just went to shit.  Definitely one big waste of time. >:/

ExisD

Gonna toss one out for Dokupon Kingdom, a good friend convinced me to try it, and 200 hours later we finally finished the game. I'm a bit of a completionist so I refused to give up even after the majority of the fun parts had finished.

Hemingway

Quote from: Oza on March 11, 2011, 03:29:18 AM
Definitely Warhammer Online.  Spent so much time on that game and the population just went to shit.  Definitely one big waste of time. >:/

I played it for a while, but had the same experience. Shame, as it really was a lot of fun. Not normally into PvP, but that game made it entertaining.

bandit

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2011, 07:51:31 AM
I played it for a while, but had the same experience. Shame, as it really was a lot of fun. Not normally into PvP, but that game made it entertaining.

It was a fun game but it fizzled out pretty quick.
the smiling bandit strikes again! haHahA

Read the deeper side of bandit here! Or just his o/o's here.

This hardcore ghetto gangster image takes a lot of practice.

Liam

Wolfy

Xenolord

Inkidu

Shjade

Man, I need to play Metroid: Other M just so I can see what all the hate is about.
◕/◕'s

Lunareyes

I'll have to add my sentiment to WoW, Returned to it several times; each time for shorter durations. The last was a 1 week trial that I spent 30 minutes on tops.

Iblis121

Gotta say Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It was the first Silent Hill game I played, back in 09' and even without being an avid Silent Hill fan, It disappointed me. Fast forward to now, I've played all the Silent Hill games thanks to my friend who has them all, and I see just how badly of an addition to the series Shattered Memories was.

CmdrRenegade

Alpha Protocol.  Saw this and was too enamored of the idea of a modern spy rpg to see what a clunker it was.  Traded it in today and used it towards Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Mercurial

Quote from: Hemingway on March 11, 2011, 07:51:31 AM

My thoughts as well.

I wanted to love it. I wanted to love it so much. Own the pre-ordered collectors edition.

But a game like that is dependent on population, and it just wasn't there.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on March 09, 2011, 09:38:23 PM
I can't believe people tolerate that kind of crap. "Not only do you have to be online to play multiplayer. Now you have to be online to play the game at all! We are so piracy paranoid!"

Seriously, Blizzard did it with Starcraft II, and it's one (of many) reasons why I can't even look at their name without being disgusted. C&C 4 needed it.

When will you realize that it's a stupid freaking idea, game companies? I mean people like me who can't be connected to play anything worthwhile online. Seriously, what are you worried that I'll figure out some way of horse-powered software piracy? All your doing is stopping honest people from buying your game that they might want to play while the dishonest people steal them anyway, and then they don't have to worry about being online to play it anyway.

Another instance of punishing the good guy. :(

You're being (slightly) unfair to Blizzard, in that SC2 singleplayer/campaign mode is technically 100% playable without an internet connection. All you lose is the ability to earn/track achievements, which don't actually affect anything.