Interest Check: Generic Fantasy Inn

Started by Bliss, November 20, 2008, 11:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

My first foray into online roleplaying was a now-defunct website called The Gamer's Inn. I'm feeling seriously nostalgic, and I'd love to start up an open multiplayer game with the same sort of setting.

The main thread for this game would be, of course, The Inn. Picture a small building set just outside the forest, within a short walk of the visible seashore. Walk in the front door - and there are round tables scattered all around the room, with chairs for all. A roaring fire in the big stone fireplace, and rafters under the peaked ceiling, for those who prefer a lofty vantage point. Straight ahead is a bar, running most of the length of the back wall, which through fortuitousness and some really handily stocked Bag of Holding type cabinets can produce any and every flavor of drink that might be desired by its patrons. Behind the bar, a kitchen door on one side, staircase up to private rooms on the other.

Related threads would provide useful nearby settings: the beach cove, for example. The forest's edge. A dark tower. Further threads would be created upon player volume and need, and there would be an OOC thread in which each player will post a bio and description of their character; even a picture of said character, if so desired. There is no over-arching plot, to begin with - this game would be based on persona play. Each player develops a character/persona, and any action and plot arises from the interaction of those players. Slightly similar to the social boxes, each day is a new day in-game, and arrivals to the inn would begin with an arrival post, and upon leaving post a departure or retire up to the private rooms.

So. Is there any interest in this sort of game?
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

*1st in line* Let me know when its open for business!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Dawg

* Raises hand * But if you get it started to soon, I presume that players can join and leave the game as they want so you don't need to check in in the beginning of the story in order to play later on.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

VandalSavage

This sounds like an ideal leisurely retreat for the imagination.

Duchess

Bliss

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 20, 2008, 11:48:38 AM
*1st in line* Let me know when its open for business!

Will do!

Quote from: Dawg on November 20, 2008, 11:49:34 AM
* Raises hand * But if you get it started to soon, I presume that players can join and leave the game as they want so you don't need to check in in the beginning of the story in order to play later on.

Quite right. It'll be dynamic, with intertwining little plots and changes people create themselves. Friendships, enemies, romances, skullduggery, and so forth. Just like walking into a real inn, you don't know what has happened previously, and will only know what you learn from talking to other people. :)

Quote from: VandalSavage on November 20, 2008, 11:51:19 AM
This sounds like an ideal leisurely retreat for the imagination.

That's what I'm hoping... a sort of persona-play atmosphere for people to have fun with a character without the rigor of a contiguous storyline.

Quote from: sensualnymph on November 20, 2008, 11:52:06 AM
;D..its a great idea.

*grin* Keep watching this space, I'll post when it goes up. Start thinking of characters/personas, folks!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Dawg

[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Dawg

[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Bliss

And magic is allowable. Have fun with it; the place that I used to play at with this setting had everything from normal magicless humans to ghouls to vampires to sorcerers to rogues to shapeshifters and even a few mechs.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

We've got a Tavern, and Mead, so all we need now are some Wenches!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Paradox

*nudges MP and points to Bliss*

I think you can check that one off as well.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Bliss

Wenches. Plural. I'm going to be playing my PC and also the NPC barmaid, but I don't know that one woman can necessarily sustain a proper character balance.

Although... *thoughtful* Hmmm....
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Duchess

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 20, 2008, 11:56:26 AM
Generic systemless fantasy medieval.
You had me at generic Bliss, are custom races allowed? I don't know what I'm actually thinking of but I just want to know.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Bliss

Yup, custom races are allowed!

*squishesup next to Sensualnymph for female solidarity*
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Duchess

Quote from: Bliss on November 20, 2008, 01:04:02 PM
Yup, custom races are allowed!

*squishesup next to Sensualnymph for female solidarity*

now thats better  ;) ;)

Belladonna1

What an enticing idea!
May I play as well?  :)
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.   On's & Off's are up!

Bliss

Quote from: Bella on November 20, 2008, 01:10:50 PM
What an enticing idea!
May I play as well?  :)

Certainly! It's an open invite game. :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

blackstardust

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Dawg

Quote from: Inkidu on November 20, 2008, 01:26:09 PM
Woo-hoo! More ladies! ^~^

Patience young grasshopper, all will find balance in the universe if given time.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Bliss

Yaaaay! I'm so excited this might actually get off the ground!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Duchess

have to start thinking about a character

Inkidu

Quote from: Dawg on November 20, 2008, 01:31:42 PM
Patience young grasshopper, all will find balance in the universe if given time.
I'm not being impatient. I would say Woo-hoo more dudes. I that's what we lacked. (Though it would be with out the little blushy face.)

HairyHeretic

Hmm. I may wander in for a something warm and appetising.

Food and ale too.  :D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Duchess

Quote from: Dawg on November 20, 2008, 01:31:42 PM

Grasshopper...LOL ;D ;D..HOPPING GRASS??

Inkidu

Quote from: sensualnymph on November 20, 2008, 01:37:18 PM

Grasshopper...LOL ;D ;D..HOPPING GRASS??
It's better than being a Cricket. Then I get chased by a bunch of Brits with funky paddles! D:

Duchess

adventurer

Count me in!

Its such a complex inviting setting. Reminding me to the ideas of European salons in early 20th century. Paris, Vienna, Berlin.

Only here more in a rural ambiente.

Thinking about a character.. :)

Co-incidence:

Some days ago I posted something about Open Space. Maybe some have heard about it. It fits perfectly for this game for me:

I have found these 4 principles from Open Space wonderfully summarizing some rp experience fro me:

The Four
Open Space Principles

1. Whoever comes is the right people.

2. Whatever happens is the only thing that could have happened.

3. When it starts is the right time.

4. When it's over it's over and when it's not over it's not over.

Wiki about OpenSpace:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Space_Technology
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

DarkestStryke

*Rubs hands as he ponders* Sounds a great idea, and I can't wait to take a little stumble in.

Bliss

I am intrigued by this Open Space concept... *goes to read*
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Ezraylia

Count me in ;]
-grins and watches thread-
My On's and Off's
Music washes away from the soul, the dust of every day life ~Berthold Auerbach

Imogen

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Bliss

Woohoo, will be glad to have you both! Start thinking about your characters. :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Ezraylia

Shall do! So any fantasy race is basically alright? ;]
My On's and Off's

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

Now we can finally roleplay that scene where the guy says "I'm in the tavern, getting drunk! Are there any girls there? I want to do them!"

Inkidu

Quote from: Paradox on November 21, 2008, 01:37:47 PM
Now we can finally roleplay that scene where the guy says "I'm in the tavern, getting drunk! Are there any girls there? I want to do them!"
Do tell?

MagicalPen

And I can sing the "Wenches and Mead" song with out looking like an idiot!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Paradox

Duchess

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

watch your back and what you eat ;)

Inkidu

XD I can't believe I forgot about that.

Bliss

*giggling* Yes, if that's REALLY the character you want to play, Para, feel free... every town needs a boisterous drunk!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 02:02:53 PM
*giggling* Yes, if that's REALLY the character you want to play, Para, feel free... every town needs a boisterous drunk!
He's not just a boisterous drunk madam! D:<, he would also be a shameless skirt-chaser! :D

Duchess

good ,lord..i guess i should consider not working at the pub

Bliss

*grin* So before I get threads all set up, are there any particular locations that you folks would like to see for this besides the ones I've already put forth?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

Maybe a little dock? Make it an oceanside Tavern. Beaches, a stream, etc.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Inkidu

Hmm I assume the tavern has an adjoining stable. Maybe a mountain with a pass in the background?

Bliss

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 21, 2008, 02:25:56 PM
Maybe a little dock? Make it an oceanside Tavern. Beaches, a stream, etc.

The Tavern is close to the beach; there's going to be a cove location, so I can include a dock as part of the description.

Quote from: Inkidu on November 21, 2008, 02:28:24 PM
Hmm I assume the tavern has an adjoining stable. Maybe a mountain with a pass in the background?

Yes, a Tavern would naturally have a Stable... which certainly could merit its own thread aside from the main inn, I imagine.

A mountain? *grin* We're not painting, here... do you anticipate your character making a lot of trips to a nearby mountain pass?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 02:31:07 PM
The Tavern is close to the beach; there's going to be a cove location, so I can include a dock as part of the description.

Yes, a Tavern would naturally have a Stable... which certainly could merit its own thread aside from the main inn, I imagine.

A mountain? *grin* We're not painting, here... do you anticipate your character making a lot of trips to a nearby mountain pass?
People have to come from somewhere. A tavern at the end of a arduous mountain pass brings business. 

MagicalPen

Well, we've got a dock. Maybe its first stop on road to secluded kingdom full of riches? All travelers pass through the Inn and often take a ship/boat down the coast to a larger port.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

I get where you're coming from, Inkedu. I just mean is it worth it to make that its own threaded location, as opposed to just part of the description of the general surroundings of the Tavern? :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 02:40:03 PM
I get where you're coming from, Inkedu. I just mean is it worth it to make that its own threaded location, as opposed to just part of the description of the general surroundings of the Tavern? :)
Well I was just offering points of description but, maybe later. Who knows maybe two bar patrons want to duke it out on the mountain top? Just a suggestion.

Stattick

QuoteA tall, shadowy figure dressed in all black sits alone at a table in the corner of the room. As the wench comes over to see what he'll have, he slides over a gold coin the likes of which she's never seen before. It's huge with the image of a dragon embossed on it. The dragon's eye twinkles with a small but perfect ruby for an eye.

He doesn't look up, and his face cannot be seen do the large, black sailcloth cloak, and the hood that's still up. His voice is gruff, dust hoarse from many miles traveled, and cracked from too much time spent in baking deserts to the South, the frozen wastes of the North, and the unhealthful miasma deep within the Earth. The voice sounds as harsh as a Dwarf's. "A bottle of Elvin wine, the best you have... and whatever passes for a crystal goblet in these parts."

Her eyes widened, as she touched the coin with her finger tips, but dared not to pick it up. "My lord!" she gasped, "A dragon coin! Never have I seen one of these, and always thought they but myth! Coin such as this is worth far more then any food or drink we could ever think to offer you..."

The hard voice replied only, "And I shall want to have my pick of all the vacant rooms, one that I may lay claim to in perpetuity." He looked up at her then, but there seemed to be only inky blackness within the hood until a whispered word that was too slippery to stay within most minds was murmured, and then his face was plain for the wench to see. He was an elf, of pale skin, and black hair. His face was as scarred and weathered as his voice, and there was a great determined intensity about his eyes, that did not quite conceal a great melancholy.

"My lord!" the wench gasped, as she saw a face that should be eternally youthful but was not staring out at her, and that fierceness of eye and countenance that declared that the outrageous sum must be taken if his desires could be met. She nearly curtsied out of habit, but realized that she did not know the man's station other then his obvious wealth. "What... what shall I call you, my lord?"

"Call me Oberon." he stated. He gave no title, no honorific. By custom, he'd just declared himself as common as a baker or cobbler... and he lied, in a sense. The wench had heard many myths from many lands, and she'd knew of the custom among elves that no two of them ever held the same name. She knew, as many did, that Oberon was one of the greatest Elven kings of the first age, whose assassination led to The Great Elfin-Dwarvin War that lasted a millennium. No Elf would claim such a name and expect others to believe it to be true. And so she divined that the mysterious stranger claimed no title, and no name, wished to be anonymous, and yet cared not that those around him would know that he claimed a false name.

The wench nodded, and said only, "As you wish Lord Oberon... I will bring the wine, the glass, and the proprietor and the two of you may make what arrangements you may..." She fingered the dragon coin once more, but slid it back toward the stranger. "Hold this to yourself for now. I... I am uneasy carrying such wealth as it, even just to cross the room."

An older, more powerful version of one of my very first and most beloved 2nd Edition D&D characters, who went by the name Oberon... for reasons of his own.  ;D

Assuming that I'll be had that is.
O/O   A/A

Bliss

Quote from: Inkidu on November 21, 2008, 02:45:41 PM
Well I was just offering points of description but, maybe later. Who noes maybe two bar patrons want to duke it out on the mountain top? Just a suggestion.

*grin* Then it shall most definitely enter into the overall description, and if folks want to go mountain-climbing I'll make a thread for it.

Oooh Stattick! Yay! Hang on to that to use in your character bio. :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

I won't be around again until Sunday, but I look forward to seeing this game underway!

Yeah Bliss, I may play a town drunk/village idiot, but I'll do at least one other character as well.

Bliss

That's certainly allowed - just make sure that you have distinct bios ready for them both, and that it's clear which one you're writing for whenever you post... :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

As if my OCD would allow me to do anything less?

Inkidu

Would it be legit to have a gun? (Sort of like Fable 2?)

Paradox

I don't think they had guns in generic medieval settings. Even a primitive blunderbuss sort of black powder muzzle-loader was developed many centuries later.

Bliss

As long as you can justify it to my satisfaction (I'm not familiar with Fable 2). A gun as I currently think of it isn't contiguous to the atmosphere of the Tavern, but it's possible if you have something like a magically driven projectile weapon, or steampunk-ish, or... not just, y'know, "zomg I has a glock!" XD
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

What about an Iron Kingdoms style gunmage?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Bliss

Neither am I familiar with Iron Kingdoms... esplain?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

*will stick to medieval weapons himself*

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Paradox

Oo! Oo! How about a towering cybernetic mechagodzilla?

Bliss

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 21, 2008, 03:01:27 PM
*will stick to medieval weapons himself*

*hug* Thanksh.

Quote from: Paradox on November 21, 2008, 03:01:32 PM
Oo! Oo! How about a towering cybernetic mechagodzilla?

Oooh, ooh, can you justify it in the heretoforementioned setting? :p
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

Of course not, nor was I serious to begin with. Like MP, I'll stick with the genre.

MagicalPen

*ponders whether or not he should steal previously mentioned character*

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Stattick

It's not my decision to make of course... but I think it could be fun if there's a few guns out there. Maybe they're magical, maybe not. Of course, I'm thinking relatively primitive matchlocks too, because for some reason, I always envision being able to go out to sea in generic fantasy, and pirates just aren't as cool if they don't have cannons and matchlocks. Of course that's just me.  :)
O/O   A/A

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Arquebuse (Arkay boos eyay) is an early matchlock, smooth-bore, muzzled loaded, low-velocity firearm from the fourteen hundreds and depending on where you are in the world that's not quite the end of the medieval ages.

Forget I asked.

Bliss

*hunts up pictures of arquebuse...es....*

Ooooh....

...TOTALLY approved.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 03:28:15 PM
*hunts up pictures of arquebuse...es....*

Ooooh....

...TOTALLY approved.
Really! @w@

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 03:00:53 PM
Neither am I familiar with Iron Kingdoms... esplain?

Sort of a steampunk setting .. low steampunk maybe? I can't tell you that much about the RPG as I only play the wargame of it.

A gun mage is a magic user who can channel spells through their pistol, enchant bullets to deliver spells and so on.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Bliss

Sounds interesting! So the gun is more a spell delivery tool than just a bangbangshootshoot?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

A bit of each I think. I believe it can fire normal bullets (and does more damage as the character levels up), can fire rune bullets that deliver spells, and can have spells cast through it. I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

blackstardust

If you don't mind me jumping in with a question,

What exactly is steampunk?

Bliss

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 21, 2008, 04:10:11 PM
A bit of each I think. I believe it can fire normal bullets (and does more damage as the character levels up), can fire rune bullets that deliver spells, and can have spells cast through it. I'm a little fuzzy on the details.
Well, I'm not running a specific system, so think about how you'd like such a thing to work, specialties and limitations of it, and we'll chat about it. :)

Quote from: blackstardust on November 21, 2008, 04:11:01 PM
If you don't mind me jumping in with a question,

What exactly is steampunk?

Steampunk!
As defined by Wikipedia: Steampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often set in Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles or analog computers; these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or a presumption of functionality.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 04:12:21 PM
Well, I'm not running a specific system, so think about how you'd like such a thing to work, specialties and limitations of it, and we'll chat about it. :)

I wasn't actually thinking about it for myself. Someone mentioned firearms, so I was tossing that out as an example of a setting where it's been done.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Just to give you an idea how slow a flintlock is.
First you lift the gun up. (Barrel up)
Open your powder horn.
pour a practiced measure of powder down the barrel.
Slide a lead ball wrapped in cloth down the barrel
Use the ramrod to push the ball against the powder
Lift the gun up. (Parallel to the ground)
Cock the lever halfway back (Half-cocked.)
pour powder into the flash pan.
set a match into the match slot
Pull the lever back (Fully cocked)
Light the match.
pull the trigger.

Depending on your shooting prowess the bad thing goes away.

Best time. one shot a minute.

Wash rinse repeat.

So I wouldn't be shooting a ridiculous amount of shots. 

Bliss

*grinning* so in this world, given Inky's explanation... Try not to get caught bringing a gun to a sword fight, folks!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

mannik

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 04:40:37 PM
*grinning* so in this world, given Inky's explanation... Try not to get caught bringing a gun to a sword fight, folks!

unless you are really, really good at hitting things with the butt of it.  ;D

I'm interested by the way, but not quite sure what I want my character to be yet.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: mannik on November 21, 2008, 04:43:26 PM
I'm interested by the way, but not quite sure what I want my character to be yet.

How about the *ahem* notorious Captain Fang  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 04:40:37 PM
Mannik is right I can still use it to hit stuff. Plus I'd have a dagger too. (Sort of like the ranger who has a bow but uses a short sword as well.)

Silver

Hmm..I would love to throw myself into something like this. I've never been in a group game doing more than making a character sheet and something falls apart with me.

And this would be my first steam-punk type game.. I would love the chance here.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Bliss

*smile* steampunk is an option, not a requirement... I look forward to having you in the game, Miss Silver!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

Lookie at all the interest! When can expect the creation of threads? *smooches the Bliss and bribes her, wearing a COP Uniform*

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Maeven

Where there's an ale, there's a Maeven. 

I don't think that's exactly how that goes, but y'all get the picture. Right? Right.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

MagicalPen

Maeven the Tavern Wench? Sounds good to me!   ;D

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 24, 2008, 08:12:21 AM
Lookie at all the interest! When can expect the creation of threads? *smooches the Bliss and bribes her, wearing a COP Uniform*

Ooh, you briber, bribing me with your bribery! (Soon.)

Quote from: Maeven on November 24, 2008, 08:16:06 AM
Where there's an ale, there's a Maeven. 

I don't think that's exactly how that goes, but y'all get the picture. Right? Right.

Woohoo! *stocks up the ale barrels in the imaginary inn*
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Bliss

Don't you dare go trying to turn all the ladies into Tavern Wenches, there are NPCs for that nonsense!

Although if a woman REALLY thinks she'll find the most enjoyment in a wench role, that's her choice.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Dawg

[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

MagicalPen

Thats one ugly hamster!

I prefer this type of war hamster!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

Dawg, you do realize that nowI have to DARE you to do a War Hampster character, and convincingly?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Will

Ooh!  Ooh!  *jumps up and down, waving arms*  I'm in!
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Bliss

Woohoo, you ARE!

Geze, at this rate I should probably at least make the OOC and Bios threads, so people can get their concepts posted....
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Dawg

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 08:29:07 AM
Dawg, you do realize that nowI have to DARE you to do a War Hampster character, and convincingly?

Well I don't do Furries, but I could use experience as a Kender and I have done anthro before - hmmmm - ponders - maybe that might be fun for a bit.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Ezraylia

-grins- Wow this thread sure took off!
My On's and Off's

Haibane

Did the game threads get made yet Miss Blissy?

I has a character concept ready... needs threadies to write her up in...

Bliss

Not yet,Haibane - I'll post links here when I have them up. :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Haibane

And why does this site so inspire me for a character costume?......  :D

http://www.nightmarefactory.com/pirates.html

Haibane

Quote from: Bliss on November 21, 2008, 02:24:16 PM
*grin* So before I get threads all set up, are there any particular locations that you folks would like to see for this besides the ones I've already put forth?

Hm... some random mental jabbering..

Main Bar Area
Communal Dormitory Bedroom (palliases on the floor)
[As many private bedrooms as players need]
A downstairs private dining room (or two, or three...)
The Master/Mistress of the houses private suite (thought - will we have an owner...? Is Bliss the owner...?)
Beer cellar (which happens to have a lot of chains etc and posts and ropes and...)
Stables
Hayloft above stables (for rolling in)
The cove, dock and beach
The edge of the forest
A nearby village?

Is the tavern right on the beach/cove with the forest behind? If so I'm thinking there'd be a strong nautical theme among the characters. Fishermen types, merchants, pirates, smugglers...

Aiden

Can I be a panda bar tender?
*Hides his wow geek tendencies*

This is a panderan

(Note I would not participate in any sexual activities with said panda, since I have no interest in it, more looking to play a comedic role)

Haibane

Bliss

There will be about a ten minute leisurely walk from the Tavern to the cove/beach.

A cellar is an interesting idea; if there is a lot of interest in such a location, I can probably work something in, but I don't see the beer cellar as being something the proprietor would let be open to just any random patron. *grin*

Hayloft will naturally be part of the stables description.

No inn I have EVER heard of has had a communal/dormitory bedroom... hostels, maybe, but I picture rooms as being smaller, more private.

I don't anticipate a village being any closer than a half a day's walk/ride.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Aiden

Quote from: Haibane on November 24, 2008, 11:14:07 AM
*wants Panda sex*

I wouldn't even know how to describe the actions of a Panda getting "down"...and I will not Google "Panda sex"...so the Panda remains celibate?

Haibane

Oh dear, Haibane's search for character inspiration leads to considerable wasted time... or not?

http://www.hotpiratebabes.com/

(NSFW)

Haibane

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 11:16:23 AMNo inn I have EVER heard of has had a communal/dormitory bedroom...
Pretty common in my D&D days, and VERY common in medieval times. Like uh... there were no private rooms. At all. Unless you were a king or something. But as this is fantasy, you have the inn you wanna have ;)

Will

Yow!  That title was no lie! :o

*towels the drool off of his face while he tries to remember what he was doing*

- Jack Kerouac

MagicalPen

Mhm...i wouldnt mind knocking boots with those Pirates a few times...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Aiden

*Throws wallet outside to prevent mass purchases on credit card...*
I like the dress...and the booty shorts...a lot...
*Book marked*

Ezraylia

So going back to that when i'm not at work o.o
My On's and Off's

Haibane

Hee hee, I might just use one of those as a character. Since we are near a cove... a pirate cove of course.

https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/8/8f/PirateBabe_400.jpg

Hmm, so tempting. The fun I could have with a character like that.

MagicalPen

Oddly enough, that was my favorite one out of the bunch.   O.o

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Haibane

Great (and perverse) minds think alike.

Bliss

The cove is simply meant to be a rocky inlet... though I suppose there could be caves off of it that would be useful to piratey types.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Dawg on November 24, 2008, 08:38:24 AM
Well I don't do Furries, but I could use experience as a Kender and I have done anthro before - hmmmm - ponders - maybe that might be fun for a bit.

Oh, man .. Kender  ;D

I nearly broke my GM the last time someone made the mistake of letting me have a kender. Ventriloquism and taunt .. it's a winning combination.

Then there was the humourously shaped turnip.

Fond, fond memories indeed. ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Dawg

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2008, 01:04:22 PM
Oh, man .. Kender  ;D

I nearly broke my GM the last time someone made the mistake of letting me have a kender. Ventriloquism and taunt .. it's a winning combination.

Then there was the humourously shaped turnip.

Fond, fond memories indeed. ;D

* Snickers * a Kender Warhamster
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

MagicalPen

*ish slightly lost* I have to decide between an outright Pirate myself, a Swashbuckler, or the Thorn of Camorre. All devious, studly characters...

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

I was holding out for a Kender Wild Mage, but the GM said no  ;D

Just imagine the fear you could inspire with a simple "Hey, watch this!"  :D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Dawg

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2008, 01:25:28 PM
I was holding out for a Kender Wild Mage, but the GM said no  ;D

Now that would have been Dangerous

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 01:25:24 PM
A kender with a hampsterhead helm?

Nope a Anthropomorphic Barbarian Hamster with Kender tendencies.

(note: that will not be my serious character - possibly contemplating two serious characters, but at least one swashbuckling piratey fellow)
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Josietta

*twitches* another.. game.. must.. resist... must.. not.. gah!!!!!!!!!!!!! *dies*

I wannnaaaaaaaaa play too!  *pouts and looks at clock*  16 days! gimme 16 days! and mebbe I can drag K-Bear in too!

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Bliss

*grin* Josi, this is one of the fun things about this game... you don't have to start right when it starts. Your character could come in two weeks or even two months down the line, if you like!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Josietta

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 01:33:56 PM
*grin* Josi, this is one of the fun things about this game... you don't have to start right when it starts. Your character could come in two weeks or even two months down the line, if you like!

*bounces and glomps the Bliss* yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lurrrrrrrrrrv you!  *grins* okies back to packing and washing for me.. I will definitely be doing this when its ready!

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Dawg on November 24, 2008, 01:30:07 PM
Now that would have been Dangerous

Yep.

But fun. So much fun.

I got to admit, the Kender idea is rather appealing right now.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Haibane

Doesn't the Kender idea only work if the other players know what a Kender is?

Bliss

You have the whole internet at your fingertips... I'm pretty sure if anybody here doesn't know what a Kender is, they can look it up, or else count on the player to have a good explaining description of said character.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Haibane on November 24, 2008, 02:12:21 PM
Doesn't the Kender idea only work if the other players know what a Kender is?

Give me 10 minutes and they'll know what a Kender is alright  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MagicalPen

Isn't a Kender a chocolate egg from Germany with a little toy inside?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

HairyHeretic

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 24, 2008, 02:15:43 PM

Nope, thats a Kinder

Thats a Kender

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kender

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Aiden

*Google's Kender*
Reads wiki article...
*nods*
I still want to be a panda...

Bliss

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 24, 2008, 02:15:43 PM

...I will smack you.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Haibane

No, I meant, as a character. Not as an E member. I wasn't clear there.

A Kender is a type specific to one game system, so it wouldn't really have the same impact outside of D&D would it? Because its abilities are rule-based.

If I played your average barmaid/wench from a generic fantasy medieval setting the Kender's skills would be irrelevant and unknown to her and thus its whole effect is lost.

What I guess I'm saying is, game-specific creatures don't usually work outside their designed game, particularly non-system games.

Bliss

See above, regarding: GENERIC FANTASY.

To clarify, as apparently I didn't, the setting is a generic, unspecified fantasy world of my description. As far as specific character types, so long as people can clear it with me that it's workable in a generic fantasy setting, then it's workable in this world. It's a deliberately non-specific world, which means realistically we could have kender AND hobbits AND halfling all running around, all differentiatable (is that even a word? I declare it a word now.) from one another by their quirky racial characteristics, beyond the fact of being humanoid short people.

Besides which, Kender are specific to a fiction series, and weren't D&D creatures anyway. Maybe you were thinking Kobold?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

Oh, wrong sort of Kender. *Puts on COP uniform for protection from Bliss*

And its a Freeform Fantasy. No dice. Anything goes. Just no God-Moding type thing (generic rules).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

HairyHeretic

The Kender were in Dragonlance, which was both fiction and 2nd ed D&D game world. The game where I used my Kender wasn't Dragonlance, but it was easy enough to see a Kender going through a dimensional portal just to see what was on the other side, so having him there wasn't a big deal.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Bliss

This is a deliberately systemless/freeform game, but choice/creation of charactertype is going pretty much by the same rules as weaponry. If you can justify it to me, like Inkidu did what that gun a couple pages back, then I'll probably let it in. Though it'll be a lot harder to justify, say, mechawarrior than a ranger with a flintlock. XD
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Haibane on November 24, 2008, 02:19:13 PM

A Kender is a type specific to one game system, so it wouldn't really have the same impact outside of D&D would it? Because its abilities are rule-based.

Rule based, but not hard to replicate.

Extremely curious, total lack of fear, a tendancy to find things and hold onto them for safekeeping so .. what, yours?  Well, yes, but you set it down there and I was afraid you'd forget it. I mean, its a good job I found it, or some unsavoury type might have walked off with it. Them. And those. That too. See, you're really careless about leaving stuff down, I mean, its a good job I'm around or you'd lose half your things in five minutes.

See  :D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kalen

Quote from: Haibane on November 24, 2008, 02:19:13 PM

If I played your average barmaid/wench from a generic fantasy medieval setting the Kender's skills would be irrelevant and unknown to her and thus its whole effect is lost.

What I guess I'm saying is, game-specific creatures don't usually work outside their designed game, particularly non-system games.

So, wait... a kender would lose the effect.  And yet, the inn is allowed to have mecha, guns, and anything else under the sun or moon?

I think you're missing the point.  To be able to get those  game specific creatures, to interact.  How would a kender deal with the Xenomorphs from Alien, for example? 

Silver

Wow you all lost me a bit ago.

Here's a silly question..

Will there be a list of races or what have you that we may pick from...?
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Kalen on November 24, 2008, 02:30:56 PM
How would a kender deal with the Xenomorphs from Alien, for example? 

Try talking to it initially. If/when it turned nasty, outrun it, then hurl a variety of insults (and the contents of various pouches) from somewhere safe.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Bliss

Quote from: Silver on November 24, 2008, 02:32:29 PM
Wow you all lost me a bit ago.

Here's a silly question..

Will there be a list of races or what have you that we may pick from...?

Nope. Not as such; is there a race in particular you'd like to play?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Kalen

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2008, 02:34:09 PM
Try talking to it initially. If/when it turned nasty, outrun it, then hurl a variety of insults (and the contents of various pouches) from somewhere safe.

And that extreme (and highly accurate) example is exactly why this world can be so fun!

HairyHeretic

My Kender killed a goblin with his humourously shaped turnip. An armour plated, acid blooded killing machine can't be any harder  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Silver

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 02:34:34 PM
Nope. Not as such; is there a race in particular you'd like to play?

So maybe this might be frowned upon I am not sure.

Actually first off who has heard of a 'Swan Maiden'

Will

Mechs?  Really?  I'm a tad sketchy on how that would fit in... Maybe some type of golem-like construct that a person could ride in?  I SWEAR I'm going to make this work!!!

EDIT:  Just kidding, btw. :)

- Jack Kerouac

Bliss

Quote from: Silver on November 24, 2008, 02:39:38 PM
So maybe this might be frowned upon I am not sure.

The phrase sounds familiar; is this a swan maiden like in terms of the fairy tale?

Quote from: Will1984 on November 24, 2008, 02:40:53 PM
Mechs?  Really?  I'm a tad sketchy on how that would fit in... Maybe some type of golem-like construct that a person could ride in?  I SWEAR I'm going to make this work!!!

*grin* A golem... I could see that working....
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Kalen

I was thinking more of a steampowered suit of armor... like a knight with treads, instead of a horse, and mechanical crossbows on the arms... like Iron Man, only by DaVinci instead of Stark?

Silver

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 02:41:29 PM
The phrase sounds familiar; is this a swan maiden like in terms of the fairy tale?

I guess a better term would me Swan Maiden or Swanmay.

I've played one for years on another game. it's the easier thing which I know how to do.

Will

OMG!  If there are two of us, we can fight!  >: )  Of course, as a golem-riding mage, I'll be able to cast buffs and such.

- Jack Kerouac

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Silver on November 24, 2008, 02:39:38 PM

Swanmays?

Yeah, I've heard of them. Or at least of some version of them.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Bliss

Quote from: Kalen on November 24, 2008, 02:42:52 PM
I was thinking more of a steampowered suit of armor... like a knight with treads, instead of a horse, and mechanical crossbows on the arms... like Iron Man, only by DaVinci instead of Stark?

I can't really see the treads so much... but wheels, probably, on such a contraption.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2008, 02:47:12 PM
Swanmays?

Well then maybe the two of you can explain to the Game Mistress?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

http://www.sillof.com/C-Vict-Avengers.htm

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Maeven

Ok... correct me if I'm wrong, but this is all starting to feel like a world akin to the Final Fantasy world? Sort of an eclectic (I love that word, I've managed to use it twice today too... did someone put that in the words you love to say list yet?) mix of technology and magic...  You've got mechinar, simple guns, lots of different races and abilities, etc.

Am I on the right track here?

The Cardinal Rule

Bliss

*shrug* You got me. I've never played nor been interested in Final Fantasy.

As a caveat to everyone though, this is Generic FANTASY Inn, not Generic SciFi Inn, so let's try to keep the mechanized things to a reasonable minimum, neh? :D
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 02:48:46 PM

Short version: Were-swan

Depending on what version you're going for, they're either someone that has been gifted with, or cursed with, the ability to change into a swan. In the gifted version, its a relatively at will thing, in the cursed version they can only change shape, or can be forced to change, under certain conditions.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Kalen

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Maeven on November 24, 2008, 02:50:47 PM
Ok... correct me if I'm wrong, but this is all starting to feel like a world akin to the Final Fantasy world? Sort of an eclectic (I love that word, I've managed to use it twice today too... did someone put that in the words you love to say list yet?) mix of technology and magic...  You've got mechinar, simple guns, lots of different races and abilities, etc.

Am I on the right track here?

Either that, or its a tavern set in the Corridor of Doors, that ancient and mysterious artifact that seems to connect all worlds through hidden portals, that those powerfull enough, or lucky (unlucky?) enough can find and enter.

What happens if you step off the corridor between two doors? Well, no one really knows, but the few that have been known to try it have never been seen again.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Will

Just to reiterate, I really have no interest in mechas.  I was just kidding.  That steampunk page was awesome, though!  I may be able to get some ideas from that for another game... Thanks, HH!

- Jack Kerouac

Silver

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2008, 02:47:12 PM
Swanmays?

There are so many versions of them and so many legends.. it's hard to keep up at times.

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 02:48:46 PM
I can't really see the treads so much... but wheels, probably, on such a contraption.

Version 1:

The Swan Maiden is a mythical creature who shapeshifts from human form to swan form.[1][2] Despite the name, males are found in a small number of legends. The key to the transformation is usually a swan skin, or a garment with swan feathers attached.

Version 2:

Swanmays are a sisterhood of humanoids who can assume a swan form. In normal form, they resemble a slender, tawny, attractive human females, generally clad in light robes and some form of white, feathered garment. In swan form, they completely resemble swans.

Swanmays are all originally human females who were given their form of lycanthropy by voluntarily accepting a token, such as a feathered garment or signet ring, from a current swanmay. The true purposes of the swanmay sisterhood are not known, but they seem to be peaceful protectors of nature and in particular, water birds. They live in small lodges on the banks of lakes in deep forests, and these can generally be recognized by the large number of swans, and other water birds, located around them. Swanmay lodges are only lightly fortified against attacks, but contain two escape routes: a tunnel leading to the lake and a hatch onto the roof, which can be used by swanmays when in swan form. Swanmays seem to protect swans out of pity due to their similarity more than any other reason.

Swanmays are rather indistinguishable from normal humans when in normal form, but can assume the swan form at will (they have full control over their shapeshifting). Any garments they are wearing, particularly the feathered garments, become part of the plumage when they do so. Swanmays attack with whatever weapons they have when in normal form, but prefer to attack with their beaks and claws in swan form. Abhoring violence, swanmays will as soon fly away as attack. Swanmays rarely associate with other creatures, only communing regularly with feys, sylvan elves, and certain priests.

Version 3:

The Swan Maidens, or Swan May as they are sometimes known, are a form of nature spirit. They appear to be always female and only rarely encountered on the wilds. Even rarer is the appearance of one in the more civilized areas. Their exact origin is a mystery, like that of most of the woodland beings, for they are not overly given to discussing such personal matters. They are rather less sociable than most nature races, not sharing the same extroverted personalities, which even the most shy of Nymphs, will exhibit in comfortable surroundings. They are often depicted as the queens of the forest, aloof and serene, with all the grace and beauty the very name might suggest.

Maeven

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 02:52:11 PM
*shrug* You got me. I've never played nor been interested in Final Fantasy.

As a caveat to everyone though, this is Generic FANTASY Inn, not Generic SciFi Inn, so let's try to keep the mechanized things to a reasonable minimum, neh? :D

*nods* Works for me.  

The Cardinal Rule

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Will1984 on November 24, 2008, 02:58:02 PM
Just to reiterate, I really have no interest in mechas.  I was just kidding.  That steampunk page was awesome, though!  I may be able to get some ideas from that for another game... Thanks, HH!

No worries. I came across it on another forum. That guy basically scratchbuilds alternate versions of superheros .. victorian / gothic / steampunk mainly I think. He's also done steampunk Star Wars figures.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Haibane

Quote from: Kalen on November 24, 2008, 02:30:56 PMI think you're missing the point.
I'm not so sure. You might be missing mine ;)

The Kender, so I understand, has effects on people around it in a game system. Using the game rules. We have no game system, no dice-based rules, so a lot of the stuff HH is describing cannot be made to work. It can only work if the character the Kender is interacting with allows it to. A Kender's specific skills such as taunting are reduced to freeform roleplaying so it loses much of its ability.

QuoteHow would a kender deal with the Xenomorphs from Alien, for example?
It should die fast like everything else in the Tavern ;) If we had rules. As we are freeform the Kender might buy it a beer and tell it jokes... or teach it hopscotch. In a freeform game your guess is as good as mine. What I guarantee won't happen is in-character role-playing from the Xenomorph player ;) Because the Xenomorph is out of its 'game system' (aka a Hollywood movie, aka a 'script'). See?

Are you suggesting the Kenders powers (which seem to me to be kind of magic-based) will be useable in a freeform game? If so, how? How can the Kender make me annoyed by taunting me? How can the Kender suddenly find my 'interesting object x' in his hands unless the Kender player and I either agree beforehand that I have an 'interesting object x' or each player lists all their belongings.

Quotefrom Hairy Heretic:
Extremely curious, total lack of fear, a tendancy to find things and hold onto them for safekeeping so .. what, yours?  Well, yes, but you set it down there and I was afraid you'd forget it. I mean, its a good job I found it, or some unsavoury type might have walked off with it. Them. And those. That too. See, you're really careless about leaving stuff down, I mean, its a good job I'm around or you'd lose half your things in five minutes.
I can have a human wench character who behaves like that. That behaviour does not a Kender make.

I'm sure I'm missing something as no-one else is seeing this huge loophole in the logic that I am. I'm not saying we can't have Kenders (or Aliens or musket wielding Rangers) in the game, its just that Aliens and Kenders won't work they way they should, it'll all be down to free form character interaction because its not rule-based.

A general question, as we have guns and swords and such in the game:

How will fights be resolved?

If our matchlock wielding ranger X gets his musket out and shoots character Y, without a rule system to determine if he hit or not, that's... like not very fair on Y. Its the very basic levels of rolepaying... we can't work such events into a freeform game.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, or spoil things, I genuinely do not see how to easily resolve combat between multi-genre/multi-system creatures with access to a limitless variety of weapons unless we have a rule system... or utter confusion. How the Kender works in its taunting is basically a form of combat. Without a die roll to 'fail' her 'resist taunt' roll, my wench would be free to just ignore Hairy Heretic's taunting.

Or is combat banned?

Or am I way off target here and someone will please set me straight?

Quotefrom Kalen:
And yet, the inn is allowed to have mecha, guns, and anything else under the sun or moon?
Please tell me how mecha, guns and anything else vaguely violent will work.

Bliss

Haibane, if you keep insisting on fighting about things that everyone else seems to agree on, I don't think this game is going to be a good place for you to play.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

The way stuff like this tends to work is that each character would post their intent, and leave the results up to the other. If you play in character, it ought to be simple enough to resolve stuff, since one person will generally be better than the other, and the degree of difference would show in how the back and forth was written.

If two people are evenly matched, they can either work out the results between them, or ask the GM for a ruling. As long as all the players are reasonably non munchkiny, it tends to work ok. Besides, I don't see there being the need for that much combat. Bar brawls would be the most common I'd think.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Lordy when did all this happen? Anyway, I don't really know about this stuff it's interesting but my brain is becoming unpleasantly befuddled. I got my matchlock in with impunity. Impunity, I say! *Heroic music, and general fanfare!* :D

Josietta

Ohhh you mean SteamPunk!

Quote from: Will1984 on November 24, 2008, 02:40:53 PM
Mechs?  Really?  I'm a tad sketchy on how that would fit in... Maybe some type of golem-like construct that a person could ride in?  I SWEAR I'm going to make this work!!!

EDIT:  Just kidding, btw. :)

Hows about a Pleasure Golem? The Book of Erotic Fantasy has such nice new spells and such... *grins*

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Josietta

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2008, 04:09:43 PM
The way stuff like this tends to work is that each character would post their intent, and leave the results up to the other. If you play in character, it ought to be simple enough to resolve stuff, since one person will generally be better than the other, and the degree of difference would show in how the back and forth was written.

If two people are evenly matched, they can either work out the results between them, or ask the GM for a ruling. As long as all the players are reasonably non munchkiny, it tends to work ok. Besides, I don't see there being the need for that much combat. Bar brawls would be the most common I'd think.

Yes with two mature people, who can bow out at times and take a blow, fights can be easily resolved. It just depends on the level of maturity, was well as the give and take of each player.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Will

Seriously, it's not Street Fighter.  If both people agree that the story and interaction are more important than who wins, then it's not really an issue.  *shrugs*  Besides, I don't think this is so much a game as an "in-character" social box.  You make your character, drop 'em in, play around with 'em and see what happens.  At least, that's my impression... I could be wrong.

- Jack Kerouac

Skye

Bliiiiiiisss! *Bounces up and down.* Can I play too?! *Needs to bring out a character from the vault.*
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Inkidu

Quote from: Will1984 on November 24, 2008, 06:02:16 PM
Seriously, it's not Street Fighter.  If both people agree that the story and interaction are more important than who wins, then it's not really an issue.  *shrugs*  Besides, I don't think this is so much a game as an "in-character" social box.  You make your character, drop 'em in, play around with 'em and see what happens.  At least, that's my impression... I could be wrong.
<,<  >,> HODOKEN! I respectfully disagree. *Bows*

Will

TIGER KNEE!

...*coughcough*  Sorry.  Reflex.  *hides before Bliss can smite him for cluttering*

- Jack Kerouac

Inkidu

Quote from: Will1984 on November 24, 2008, 06:09:41 PM
TIGER KNEE!

...*coughcough*  Sorry.  Reflex.  *hides before Bliss can smite him for cluttering*
I honestly think we're past the point of clutter.

Silver

Quote from: Inkidu on November 24, 2008, 06:30:51 PM
I honestly think we're past the point of clutter.

Seconds that thought even when she hasn't posted too much.

Inkidu

Quote from: Silver on November 24, 2008, 06:31:30 PM
Seconds that thought even when she hasn't posted too much.
Love your new avatar Silver, makes mine look like a puddle... Oh wait... never mind...

Edit: Gah, I can't get it right today. Knew. How ridiculous.

Josietta

Quote from: Will1984 on November 24, 2008, 06:02:16 PM
Seriously, it's not Street Fighter.  If both people agree that the story and interaction are more important than who wins, then it's not really an issue.  *shrugs*  Besides, I don't think this is so much a game as an "in-character Josi's" social box.  You make your character, drop 'em in, play around with 'em and see what happens.  At least, that's my impression... I could be wrong.

you want to do what in my box? O.O

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Will

Quote from: Josietta on November 24, 2008, 06:46:41 PM

you want to do what in my box? O.O

*chokes a bit, and coughs*  Um, I mean... Uh... How dare you edit my quotes!  *feigns outrage*

- Jack Kerouac

Bliss

God, I go away for a few hours for dinner and Josie and the Pussycats, and look at what you do!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Will

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 08:35:52 PM
God, I go away for a few hours for dinner and Josie and the Pussycats, and look at what you do!

*fake sighs*  Sorry, Bliss.  I will accept the consequences on behalf of my threadmates. :D

- Jack Kerouac

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 08:35:52 PM
That'll teach you to eat... >,> ;D

Silver

Quote from: Inkidu on November 24, 2008, 06:34:12 PM
Love your new avatar Silver, makes mine look like a puddle... Oh wait... never mind...

Edit: Gah, I can't get it right today. Knew. How ridiculous.

*chokes*

I thought that puddles were only in that one room of ours...

No No.. Lakes are made there from all the wet and... *stops there*

*is so shameless*

Mírë

I wouldn't mind dropping a character in there... if I could find it.

How about a link?

Bliss

I haven't created the threads yet, Mire - but when I do, I'll post the links in here. In big bold letters. :)
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Mírë

Caeli

Noooooooooo...

Bliss, what are you doing to me?! First the other idea, and now...

I have finals in three weeks, and then I stumble across this gem, and suddenly I'm inspired to play a steampunk-fantasy female airship pilot... *fails at life*

If I don't join right away, I might keep up with it so I can drop in now and then. *hammers a permanent cubby hole into the interest check thread*
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Inkidu

Quote from: Caeli on November 24, 2008, 10:11:01 PM
Noooooooooo...

Bliss, what are you doing to me?! First the other idea, and now...

I have finals in three weeks, and then I stumble across this gem, and suddenly I'm inspired to play a steampunk-fantasy female airship pilot... *fails at life*

If I don't join right away, I might keep up with it so I can drop in now and then. *hammers a permanent cubby hole into the interest check thread*
Can I be your first mate. (Joking but I'm sort of serious too.) @w@

Bliss

You people need to step off the steampunk crack, zomfg!

*clings to Will*
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 10:39:15 PM
You people need to step off the steampunk crack, zomfg!

*clings to Will*
Sorry she just said airship and I lost it. *Looks dejected* I is happy with my gun. ^w^

Will

It does seem popular...   And, um... Bliss?  Where exactly is YOUR room to talk?  *searches around diligently, and finds none*  

- Jack Kerouac

Caeli

But... No steampunk? *sad*
Well, you did say fantasy... it could just be a fantasy airship >.>; Instead of a steampunk one.

... In any case, if that is a no go, there's always room for wandering treasure hunters and mercenary-mages. *laughs*
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

tcost

Maybe I could play a merchant who has business with an airship pilot -- carrying small but precious cargo?  And we could meet at the inn.
I prefer justice to irony.

Bliss

*grin* I've already found a VERY good outlet for my mad steampunk ravings, thankyouverymuch!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Kalen

Quote from: Bliss on November 25, 2008, 05:23:14 AM
*grin* I've already found a VERY good outlet for my mad steampunk ravings, thankyouverymuch!

Ah, but are you about to be a Steampunk-blocker, just because you're gettin' some?  Huh?  huh? 

Don't be hatin!

Bliss

Naw, I just don't wanna be outdoin' all y'all wif mah phat steampunkin', playa!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

*agrees with Bliss. Enjoyed this idea more when it was purely fantasy, not so much steampunked.*

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Dawg

Steampunked - oooo - I'm gonna so come into town in my giant spider like from Wild Wild West with balistas in place of cannons with my Kender Warhampster Elderitch Knight
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Bliss

Steampunked... it's like if someone let Ashton Kutcher go in the Victorian era of an alt universe and gave him inventor credentials!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

Generic Fantasy Inn, not Generic Steam-whatever Inn. -_-

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Dawg

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 25, 2008, 07:59:30 AM
Generic Fantasy Inn, not Generic Steam-whatever Inn. -_-

Laughs - I'm with you MP, I was just joking around, although that power crossbow from Van Helsing - No Bad Dawg Down - Generic Fantasy
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

MagicalPen

The Machine Gun crossbow you mean? That's not generic fantasy at all.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Dawg

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 25, 2008, 08:04:29 AM
The Machine Gun crossbow you mean? That's not generic fantasy at all.
Duh, it's more Steampunk than Generic - joking around here  *Grabs MP in a headlock and gives him a noogey*
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

GrinningHound

Can I be a peasant named Porter Plowsalot?

Or maybe someone less humble?  :P

Bliss

*snicker* Your character is up to you, Grinny.

Anyway... OOC thread is up!
Character Bios thread is up!

The more astute among you may notice they are currently locked. *grin* I want to get at the very least the initial descriptive posts for the Inn, the Cove, the Forest, and the Tower up before unlocking those.

Please see the Bios thread for what I am looking for from each participant prior to play; depth of description is up to you, but I want at the very least a decent mental image of you character, and his/her/its strengths and flaws.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

Do I get a bonus for being first character? :)

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Bliss

Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

Done and done, Locke Lamora has arrived.

EDIT: Keep a hand on your purses!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Will

*starts a fanfare*  Let us migrate!!!  To the OOC!

- Jack Kerouac

Cherri Tart

i like this - i have a question, that might have been covered, but i might have missed it - is this just something we could bring someone into at anytime?  i mean, as in after it's been going on for a while? i envision just being able to walk onto the bar from out of the rain at some point and hanging up my cloak and cozying up to the bar, the mysterious stranger, full of tales should anyone care to buy me an ale :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Inkidu

Quote from: Cherri Tart on November 25, 2008, 12:08:07 PM
i like this - i have a question, that might have been covered, but i might have missed it - is this just something we could bring someone into at anytime?  i mean, as in after it's been going on for a while? i envision just being able to walk onto the bar from out of the rain at some point and hanging up my cloak and cozying up to the bar, the mysterious stranger, full of tales should anyone care to buy me an ale :)
I'm sure that's what Bliss had in mind.

Dawg

* Buys Cherri and Ale * Yes, anytime in the future you can just walk inn, that is my plan once things lighten up for me, so about those tails tales ....
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Aiden

Not to sound like a newbie...what is steampunk?

Silver

Quote from: Aiden on November 25, 2008, 12:14:09 PM
Not to sound like a newbie...what is steampunk?

Umm check back to page 5 I do believe Aiden.

Aiden

Dawg

[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Bliss

Quote from: Cherri Tart on November 25, 2008, 12:08:07 PM

Yes, this is definitely a game you can check into later; just like a real inn, it keeps going, even as patrons come and go. I imagine people might leave for adventures and return later with new stories to tell, and find other people have taken up residence in their absence, that sort of thing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cherri Tart

ok, count me in then! and i already have a character in mind - and no, i am NOT going to be a cat-girl hooker who sells her wares to anyone with a few coppers! :P 
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Kalen

MagicalPen

Quote from: Cherri Tart on November 25, 2008, 01:21:47 PM
ok, count me in then! and i already have a character in mind - and no, i am NOT going to be a cat-girl hooker who sells her wares to anyone with a few coppers! :P 

You're selling them for free instead?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Silver

Kalen

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 25, 2008, 01:23:17 PM
You're selling them for free instead?

*Kalen's eyes roll up, each iris now reading +TILT+*

Bliss

That's the best or worst possible pricepoint, depending on which side of the transaction you're on....
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Haibane

Quote from: Bliss on November 24, 2008, 03:57:43 PM
Haibane, if you keep insisting on fighting about things that everyone else seems to agree on, I don't think this game is going to be a good place for you to play.
Honestly, I wasn't fighting! Who brought in this talk of fighting? I just genuinely don't understand it. How fights/combat/spells are resolved without a system. But HairyHeretic explained, it, so thanks.

I was hoping someone, instead of putting me down could answer my concerns. That's all. And they did, thanks everyone.

Aleksandr

Huh. This appears interesting... is there expanded stuff on this? Character page, rule thread, etc?
Insert witticism. But before I do that, I gotta throw up my Ons and Offs, right? Let's see if I can find them... AHA. Got'em.

Bliss

You can find all the threads in NC Small games Exotic.
Submitting a bio to the GM via PM is required for approval prior to joining the game.
Feel free to ask questions in the OOC!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Duchess

i wil read and start posting after friday ..sorry guys :-[

Bliss

No worries, nymph - the beauty of this little world is that your character really can arrive at any time!
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cirus

Like this idea where do I sign up? Think I will use my sorcerer's apprentice character, is there the possibility of spin offs?
Are we living in a land, where Sex and Horror are the new Gods? -Frankie Goes to Hollywood

IC: New Orleans: House of the Rising Sun
O & O's
Needs & Fantasies

Bliss

You can apply to play by sending me a character bio as specified in the Bios thread... there's a link to it a little further back in this thread.

What do you mean by spin offs?
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cirus

Oops sent you the Bio as a PM.

What I meant by spin-offs, is that if a thread develops between two or more people, can they spin off into an independent thread?
Are we living in a land, where Sex and Horror are the new Gods? -Frankie Goes to Hollywood

O & O's
Needs & Fantasies

Bliss

All plot that develops should ideally play out in the supplied Generic Fantasy Inn threads; if you really feel that there's something taking place that will take the characters away from established locations, PM me and we'll discuss additional threads for folks who go on adventures.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cirus

Alright, not a problem, but point me to the appropriate thread place please....

O & O's
Needs & Fantasies

shadowheart

This looks interesting .. I think that I will create a character.  Haven't been over-much active recently but this appeals. :)

Bliss

Please submit characters to me for approval via PM.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Josietta

*Peeks in to see how things are going and sets the threads to notify* Yay! I hope to get time this coming week to do a little RP. We'll see.. missing you all! *mwahs* <3

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas