News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

Xylene is one, but organic solvents are a broad range of chemicals. Isopropyl, glycol in brake fluid, environment-friendly cleaning product, so many products contain organic solvent which will soften acrylic plastic. In markers they keep the paint or ink flowing, but that means felt tips are soaked in it. If there's an unpleasant fume, not just Sharpie fume, then it likely contains an organic solvent capable of softening your paint.

Beorning, the bases I made for the most part. Architect (#4) does come with a little stone face she's supposed to be stepping on, and Great Game Hunter (#5) comes with crossbow caddy. KD bases look like the one Frankenstein Lucy is standing on. You can also get custom stone face bases, which are like a 30mm pile of masks. I think I'm going to be getting some of those as part of the Kickstarter, but it's pretty unclear.

Dhi

They are White Speaker, another White Speaker (oops), Twilight Knight, Architect, Great Game Hunter, Forsaker, Survivor, and Preacher.

I made a mistake when posting those! The second White Speaker shouldn't be in there, It's Savior, the character with the peacock feather cloak, who came in Pinups of Death.

Beorning

Thanks! And what is the scale of these minis? Are they 28mm or bigger?

originalazrael

Good luck trying to find them though. I've seen the game going for about 600$$ on eBay. A friend has been looking for it for ages as he missed the kickstarter, but it's sold out almost everywhere.
Psst! Over here! This is important!

I also have a request thread available!

Current RPs: 8
Currently Plotting: 2
Available for RPs: Yes
originalazrael#2659

Dhi

Pinups stand about a head higher than heroic scale 28mm. That puts them in line with Games Workshop's new scale and the scale creep of other high detail manufacturers out there. I've seen some speculation that this is the way the industry is headed, and how it's a good thing. For now scale is pretty hectic like the frontier days of pre-standardized tin soldiers.

Callie Del Noire

So so jealous...I suck at painting and I have all these custom minis from hero forge to play with...

Still looking for the right mini for my PFS Enchantress/Enchanting Courtesan settled on this one and trying to think how to do her with purplish hair (her back story is she is a clone of the Runelord of lust) and what style to do the clothing

Beorning

Stop procrastinating and paint, Callie!

Me, I'm getting back to Infinity. Time to buy $500 worth of minis and paint them all :)

BTW. Dhi, would you mind me posting your minis on my Facebook, just to rub my family's noses?  ;D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Beorning on June 06, 2017, 08:15:33 AM
Stop procrastinating and paint, Callie!

Me, I'm getting back to Infinity. Time to buy $500 worth of minis and paint them all :)

BTW. Dhi, would you mind me posting your minis on my Facebook, just to rub my family's noses?  ;D

Still have no idea what to do for the outfit...leaning towards red...

Thorne

Quote from: Dhi on June 03, 2017, 07:38:40 PM
What I hear is that spray primer with enamel, like Rustoleum, turns Bones sticky.

There's a whole thread on the Reaper forums about Bones, what works and what doesn't.. ah.. here.
So far, I'm finding that using Reaper's Brown Liner as a primer works very well; paints don't come off, even if something gets knocked on the floor.

.. this is good, because tomorrow I'm expecting a DOOMBOX of Bones, ala Bones III, and .. I might need to get some more Brown liner. <.<

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 06, 2017, 07:15:29 AM
So so jealous...I suck at painting and I have all these custom minis from hero forge to play with...

Still looking for the right mini for my PFS Enchantress/Enchanting Courtesan settled on this one and trying to think how to do her with purplish hair (her back story is she is a clone of the Runelord of lust) and what style to do the clothing

... ooh. Mebbe a greenish blue? While iirc, Sorshen preferred red, the green might set off her hair better. And be a touch easier to shade, if that's a concern. ^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Beorning

Okay, so here's the mini I painted yesterday: Aleph's Dakini Tactbot:

Alright, it's just not good. The thing is, that particular mini was a nightmare to glue together - it consisted of eight pieces, some of them very hard to glue on (like the "wings" bits, which are 1mm or so wide...). It resulted in the bot getting dirties up with glue and greestuff - so not many of the parts were smooth even before me painting them. Then, I started painting and got the bad (bad!) idea of shading the white bits with black wash. In the end, the mini looks just dirty...

Alas, I don't despair! I have two more of these bots in my Aleph starter box and I'll try to improve. :D

Oh, and the base is WIP, of course.

Dhi

Quote from: Beorning on June 06, 2017, 08:15:33 AM
No, once they're on the internet, they belong to everyone!

Right there with you on gluing and greenstuff nightmares. But, I haven't actually used greenstuff for a while now, not since picking up a pound of Magic Sculpt on Amazon. This can be shaped with a wet brush, so smoothing and leveling is painless, no sanding involved. It's pretty brilliant.

Pockets

Quote from: Beorning on June 07, 2017, 03:03:11 PM
Alright, it's just not good. The thing is, that particular mini was a nightmare to glue together - it consisted of eight pieces, some of them very hard to glue on (like the "wings" bits, which are 1mm or so wide...). It resulted in the bot getting dirties up with glue and greestuff - so not many of the parts were smooth even before me painting them. Then, I started painting and got the bad (bad!) idea of shading the white bits with black wash. In the end, the mini looks just dirty...

Beorning, if you're wanting to do a darker shading with a wash (especially on white), I would suggest testing it on a piece of paper first to see how it looks. But as a general rule of thumb if I want to use a wash, I try for a darker shade of the same color (or a shade of grey) rather than using specific washes. And as I use mostly Vallejo/Reaper paints that come in eyedropper bottles, I do one drop to four/five drops of water then stir with the stick end of my brush until most of the paint has dissolved into the water.

For those particular mini's, I'd suggest creating a wash using Reaper's Aged Bone (#09059) to go over your white.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Beorning

A question: when diluting the paints, would you use normal water - or, maybe, I should buy something like Vallejo's Thinner or Matte / Gloss Medium?

Also, is there an easy way to create a wash? I've heard you could just add water and dish soap to make a normal paint behave like a wash...

And another question: when painting, do you guys paint with thin, semi-transparent layers? The guys at the official Infinity forum tell that the reason my minis look gloopy is because I use too much paint. And that I should never try to create one fully opaque layer...

Pockets

A question: when diluting the paints, would you use normal water - or, maybe, I should buy something like Vallejo's Thinner or Matte / Gloss Medium?

I don't use thinner because it has a retardent that prevents the paint from drying the way it's designed to. That's fine for intense detail work like eyes and fingernails/talons, but not so much for bigger spots like body parts. Same thing with Matte/Gloss mediums. I usually use distilled water this way it's just water.

Also, is there an easy way to create a wash? I've heard you could just add water and dish soap to make a normal paint behave like a wash...

If you're using eyedropper style paints like from Vallejo or Reaper, I do 1 drop of paint to 3 to 5 drops of water depending on the brand of paint. Vallejo Model I usually do 5 drops and Reaper about 3 to 4 (more if it's needed).

And another question: when painting, do you guys paint with thin, semi-transparent layers? The guys at the official Infinity forum tell that the reason my minis look gloopy is because I use too much paint. And that I should never try to create one fully opaque layer...

I don't dip the brush into the paint, I rest the tip of the brush into the paint and let it absorb what it will then brush it along in a single direction. I may have to keep hitting the palette more often, but I can control how much paint is going onto the model. And I always have an extra brush on hand if I need to wick off paint if the brush spread too much onto the model. As for creating one layer, they're probably thinking you're airbrushing. Though if you're using a particularly thick paint like Vallejo's Foundation White, you may need to thin it out just a smidge by adding a drop or two of water. P3 paints are also like that, they're particularly thick.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Beorning

Quote from: Pockets on June 08, 2017, 04:26:58 PM
I usually use distilled water this way it's just water.

Hmmmm. And how do I made distilled water? Or, if I need to buy it, is it expensive? Where do I buy it?

If you're using eyedropper style paints like from Vallejo or Reaper, I do 1 drop of paint to 3 to 5 drops of water depending on the brand of paint. Vallejo Model I usually do 5 drops and Reaper about 3 to 4 (more if it's needed).

But don't you need to add something more, so that the paint sticks to crevices etc.?

I don't dip the brush into the paint, I rest the tip of the brush into the paint and let it absorb what it will then brush it along in a single direction. I may have to keep hitting the palette more often, but I can control how much paint is going onto the model. And I always have an extra brush on hand if I need to wick off paint if the brush spread too much onto the model. As for creating one layer, they're probably thinking you're airbrushing. Though if you're using a particularly thick paint like Vallejo's Foundation White, you may need to thin it out just a smidge by adding a drop or two of water. P3 paints are also like that, they're particularly thick.

Hmm, I'll try painting with very little of paint, then. I'm already thinning the paints (with tap water) - it helps, but not as much as I'd like...

You guys really need to teach me painting basics! Please! These Infinity minis are too costly for me to ruin them like that...  :o

Pockets

Quote from: Beorning on June 09, 2017, 03:41:23 PM
Hmmmm. And how do I made distilled water? Or, if I need to buy it, is it expensive? Where do I buy it?

You can buy it at Walmart for under a dollar a gallon.

But don't you need to add something more, so that the paint sticks to crevices etc.?

Not really, but again you have to be careful not to get too much in a specific area.

Hmm, I'll try painting with very little of paint, then. I'm already thinning the paints (with tap water) - it helps, but not as much as I'd like...

Try not thinning the paints and just wick the paint onto the tip of your brush. Don't force the entire tip of your brush into the paint, just dip the very tip in and let it pick up what it can. It's usually enough to paint a decent sized area without looking clumpy. The wicking should help.

You guys really need to teach me painting basics! Please! These Infinity minis are too costly for me to ruin them like that...  :o

I'd suggest picking up some cheap Reaper mini's to practice on. You can always drop them into DOT 3 brake fluid overnight and scrub most acrylics off with a toothbrush relatively easily.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Pockets

Double Post:

So here are some pictures of Reaper Miniature's Kraken.

08/02 - New A/A Update

Dhi

Beorning,

It probably is true that your paint is too thick, that always seems to be the first thing a miniature painter needs to learn. That's completely normal and part of the process. If I had never delved into the hobby before and someone instructing me said okay, now take this piece of metal and paint it like a delicate Japanese watercolor, I would say You. Are. Crazy. But eventually, you get there on your own. It takes time getting comfortable working with the paint and with your brush. By no accident, the broadly regarded best brushes out there are watercolor brushes.

You do have good brush control and that's important. I can see you're struggling with paint consistency and contrast, but when you nail those things down you will already be able to control where the paint goes. That is why it's a good skill to have. I did see a Menoth army painted by a little girl in Paas Easter paints, though, and it was a radder thing than you or I will ever live to paint.

Thorne

Their Bones line is quite cheap; I did one for a contest, and the mini only cost me $2.
It occurs to me that I should explain that. There is a running joke by now about Sir Justin Forscale (knight just in for scale), and one of the Reaper guys decided he wanted a bunch of different versions of that miniature. A whole bunch of us jumped at that and the results were impressive (we might have swamped the guy just a bit...).
After the dust settled, I bought another one so I could paint it for myself.

Er. For the curious; the show-off thread for Sir Scoville. Save me uploading everything twice...

Quote from: Dhi on June 09, 2017, 08:19:37 PM
Beorning,

It probably is true that your paint is too thick, that always seems to be the first thing a miniature painter needs to learn. That's completely normal and part of the process. If I had never delved into the hobby before and someone instructing me said okay, now take this piece of metal and paint it like a delicate Japanese watercolor, I would say You. Are. Crazy. But eventually, you get there on your own. It takes time getting comfortable working with the paint and with your brush. By no accident, the broadly regarded best brushes out there are watercolor brushes.

You do have good brush control and that's important. I can see you're struggling with paint consistency and contrast, but when you nail those things down you will already be able to control where the paint goes. That is why it's a good skill to have. I did see a Menoth army painted by a little girl in Paas Easter paints, though, and it was a radder thing than you or I will ever live to paint.

Link please! This, I want to see.

Beorning, you may also find that working with a wet pallet helps you; a simple one can be made with any kind of shallow, water-tight container with a tight lid (glass or plastic is probably better than metal), a piece of dampened sponge and a bit of parchment paper. The distilled water will work here, and it helps keep your paint from drying out too fast. If the container can be sealed, so much the better; you won't waste as much paint.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Pockets

Quote from: Thorne on June 09, 2017, 08:23:55 PM
Beorning, you may also find that working with a wet pallet helps you; a simple one can be made with any kind of shallow, water-tight container with a tight lid (glass or plastic is probably better than metal), a piece of dampened sponge and a bit of parchment paper. The distilled water will work here, and it helps keep your paint from drying out too fast. If the container can be sealed, so much the better; you won't waste as much paint.

I'd suggest these starting out. You can get something similar at nearly any hobby store or Walmart. For under five bucks at that.
08/02 - New A/A Update

Dhi

I wish I had a link but as it turns out this was just an awful tease.

Dhi

Finished Una the Skyhunter today.

Beorning

*gapes*

Wow... I'm jealous! As usual.  ;D Keep painting, Dhi!

I plan to paint something today. I bought myself a container of distilled water and I'll try to use the advice I've heard across the last week. I'll see how it goes...

Dhi

I'm glad you like it. My partner loves the American Southwest.

Are you trying any new techniques today with the distilled water?