The Wiki -- Elluiki

Started by Revenant, January 13, 2018, 07:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revenant

If I have already uploaded images, and need to edit or correct the category, can I do that?

Ket

Yes, just go to the Edit tab at the top of the image's page.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Revenant

Oh, that's just fantastic!!!!

Thank you, Ket!

Revenant

Is it possible to create a page that would hold my images? Not that I mind sharing!!! And what about a private image gallery?

I'm learning as I go. Interesting, this Wiki stuff!!!

Also, can I delete images or must I contact a Wikimin?

Kye

You can create a page for your pictures if you wish, though I've found that using your OO's or a thread in Finders and Seekers is easier for me. 

If you want to delete an image just change the category on the image to [[Category:Delete]].  The Wikimin go through periodically and get rid of images using that category. 

Vandren

As Kyrsa said re: deleting.

So far as I know (former Wikimin), there is no way to make wiki pages limited to specific viewers, so a private image gallery's not possible to the best of my knowledge.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Revenant

Quote from: Kyrsa on January 15, 2018, 01:13:56 PM
You can create a page for your pictures if you wish, though I've found that using your OO's or a thread in Finders and Seekers is easier for me. 

If you want to delete an image just change the category on the image to [[Category:Delete]].  The Wikimin go through periodically and get rid of images using that category.

If I choose to use my OO or a thread in the Finders and Seekers (have you SEEN those images? *swoons*), I would still need to upload them to my Wiki first? Ket provided information for me to edit, and this new information is great!!!

Thanks, Kyrsa!

Quote from: Vandren on January 15, 2018, 01:15:44 PM
As Kyrsa said re: deleting.

So far as I know (former Wikimin), there is no way to make wiki pages limited to specific viewers, so a private image gallery's not possible to the best of my knowledge.

But I can make specific pages, correct? Like for characters or a page that depicts current stories or ideas?

Thank you Vandren!!!

Kye

Quote from: Revenant on January 15, 2018, 01:38:57 PM
If I choose to use my OO or a thread in the Finders and Seekers (have you SEEN those images? *swoons*), I would still need to upload them to my Wiki first? Ket provided information for me to edit, and this new information is great!!!

Thanks, Kyrsa!

But I can make specific pages, correct? Like for characters or a page that depicts current stories or ideas?

Thank you Vandren!!!

Yes, you would still need to upload them to the Wiki. 

You can make specific pages. At one point I had wiki pages for each of my stories with extra info and bios for each one. 

You're welcome!

Vandren

"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Revenant

Quote from: Vandren on January 16, 2018, 12:53:41 PM
Some samples:

Game page
https://elliquiy.com/wiki/HogwartsAFuture

Character page:
https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Simon_Renolds

Image gallery:
https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Private:Geraint%27s_Occasional_Savors

Oh my Vandren. Did you create any of these? I especially like the second one with the bullets -- the table of content format!!!

And the images, too!!  Looky there and ALL in one place!!!

How do I do that? And the bullets, too? And the formatting?

That's just out-right handy, right there, Vandren.

Oh my.... thank you!

Caeli

Revenant,

These two pages might be helpful to you:

... if you need some ideas to get started for your own user page.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Revenant

Quote from: Caeli on January 16, 2018, 01:27:19 PM
Revenant,

Caeli,

I am officially hooked to the Wiki-Elluiki. I am also officially overwhelmed with the information provided!!

Thank you to every one of you!!!

The Green One

Quote from: Caeli on January 16, 2018, 01:27:19 PM
Revenant,

I will try and do something with this!

Not available for new stories

Vandren

Quote from: Revenant on January 16, 2018, 01:14:57 PM
Oh my Vandren. Did you create any of these? I especially like the second one with the bullets -- the table of content format!!!

And the images, too!!  Looky there and ALL in one place!!!

How do I do that? And the bullets, too? And the formatting?

That's just out-right handy, right there, Vandren.

Oh my.... thank you!

I did not do any of those.

But, to see how they were done, click on the Edit tab and it will give the full "code" (it's not really code, but close enough) to do everything on the page.  (Actually, that's how I taught myself both Wiki editing and HTML.)

Revenant

Ahhh... yes, I believe that has already been explained to me by another member not too long ago. Thank you, Vandren.

I'm looking forward to having fun in the creation and editing of my Wiki.

The Green One

Can you have more than one Wiki page? Like, one for each character?

Kye

The Green One

How? I can't find any options...

-is so sure is going to be some obvious thing he's just not seeing- u.u

Kye

Quote from: Liam Dale on January 17, 2018, 07:16:12 PM
How? I can't find any options...

-is so sure is going to be some obvious thing he's just not seeing- u.u

[[Private:Name of your page here]]

Put the name of the page you want to create where it says, it will create a link on your personal wiki page.  If you click on that link it will take you to the page.

A Very Basic Guide to the Elluiki, you can find most of the info you might need there on how to use the wiki.  If you have questions feel free to PM me!

The Green One

Revenant

Hi there, it's me again!!!

I know that I've been pointed in the direction for the Wiki-Elluiki. And I've also been provided with information as to how to get the correct codes or at least "code" in creating a page and adding links and the like.

If I create a new page specifically for the images, will I have to link them or can I place them there and request that everything I've uploaded so far be deleted?

I've learned, so far, that doing [[Category:Information_Here]] is a must. In hindsight, I believe I should have waited before uploading ANYTHING, that way I could have organized myself a little bit better. I'm still learning, and still having fun. And this smile, just won't stop!!!!

Thank you!

Caeli

Quote from: Revenant on January 19, 2018, 11:08:38 AMIf I create a new page specifically for the images, will I have to link them or can I place them there and request that everything I've uploaded so far be deleted?

Can you clarify what you mean by linking them?  What kind of look are you trying to achieve (an example page would help)?  Also, is there something wrong with the photos you've already uploaded, that they need to be deleted?

Okay, I took a quick look at your pages/images.  Input from an existing wikimin might be helpful here, but categories are meant more as broad, general containers - that is, rather than having a [[Category:Revenant's Character Images]], it would be more helpful to simply link/embed/include them in your own user page, which is probably where you want them to be seen anyway.  Another option is to create a page for your characters, for example, "Revenant's Characters".  You wouldn't necessarily have to include a category for your images; once you link them from somewhere in the wiki, that link shows up.  For example, check out this one I uploaded - you'll see at the bottom:

File usage

The following 2 pages link to this file:
  • Private:Caeli's Character Profiles
  • Private:We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

On your page, you should use [[Category:Members]] because you're a member of Elliquiy.

To add pictures to your own user page, there are three methods that I use:

Straight embed:
[[Image:Brook Townsend (full).jpg|400px]] [[Image:Brook Townsend (hair down).jpg|200px]] [[Image:Brook Townsend (face, bw).jpg|231px]]

This is just the images without any kind of wrapper/border around them.  You can leave out the pipe "|" and the stuff after (231px) if the size is fine; I usually upload the largest, highest-quality image, so I use the pixel count to resize as needed.

Gallery Style:

This puts all the images in boxes so that they're the same size.  I use this for my avatars. Haven't tested this to see if you can add descriptions, but you might be able to.

<center><gallery perrow="5">
Image:Caeli.png
Image:Caeli_031.png
Image:Caeli_030.png
Image:Caeli_029.png
Image:Caeli_026.png
Image:Caeli_025.png
</gallery></center>

Thumbnails:

[[Image:Alcyone.png|thumb|Caption here]]

This is actually a variation of the first method.  Add in a pipe and thumb ("|thumb") to make the image a thumbnail.  I believe these automatically float to the right of the page.  A caption can be added by adding in another pipe, followed by the caption.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Nymphadora

Hi Revenant,

I have a lot of fun with the Wiki too. My main page needs some reorganizing but I'm in there all the time so I can have access to character pics when I want them.

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/User:Nymphadora

Just using something like:  [[File:Agnes4-Nymph.jpg]] will insert the already uploaded picture to the specific wiki page you want it on. Maybe that is what you mean by linking them?

BTW and to follow what Caeli has said about categories: The uploads you have categorized as (Private:Revenant Character Story17) and so on, all, when you click that link in your contributions, head over to a page that has not been created for each one of the 'categories'.

From there my tip comes in regarding 'linking' or inserting the image onto your page(s).

Now, I'm not an expert at all on the wiki, I've learned how to work with it much the same way you are. I have not used the categories part at all... >.>  I pretty much just forget to every time. It's like a mental block on it, actually...
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Caeli

I'd say that for the most part, for the way most people will be using the wiki, categories are pretty unnecessary.  I think of it as - categories are meant to be broader than pages.  Can a single page hold all of the information? If so, then a category should be unnecessary (i.e. why make a category that would only hold one page).

But if you have many things relating to each other - for example, a roleplay where the wiki is used extensively as a resource, and every character has its own page, there are a lot of images, etc. - then a category might be useful to tag them altogether.  The category for A Rogue's Fortune seems to do that - I'm not an expert either, but IMO this would be a great use of the Category tag.

If you had a good dozen and a half story ideas you wanted to store in the wiki, in theory you could make separate pages for all of them. My personal preference is to include them all on one page so that I can more easily edit them.

There aren't really hard and fast rules, and as far as I know the Elluiki isn't monitored heavily by the Wikimins, so it's kind of a free for all.  Still, the idea is you want this to be easy to edit (for you), and if you want this to be looked at by potential partners or other members, it should also be easy to read for them.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Revenant

Quote from: Caeli on January 19, 2018, 01:04:01 PM
I'd say that for the most part, for the way most people will be using the wiki, categories are pretty unnecessary.  I think of it as - categories are meant to be broader than pages.  Can a single page hold all of the information? If so, then a category should be unnecessary (i.e. why make a category that would only hold one page).

But if you have many things relating to each other - for example, a roleplay where the wiki is used extensively as a resource, and every character has its own page, there are a lot of images, etc. - then a category might be useful to tag them altogether.  The category for A Rogue's Fortune seems to do that - I'm not an expert either, but IMO this would be a great use of the Category tag.

If you had a good dozen and a half story ideas you wanted to store in the wiki, in theory you could make separate pages for all of them. My personal preference is to include them all on one page so that I can more easily edit them.

There aren't really hard and fast rules, and as far as I know the Elluiki isn't monitored heavily by the Wikimins, so it's kind of a free for all.  Still, the idea is you want this to be easy to edit (for you), and if you want this to be looked at by potential partners or other members, it should also be easy to read for them.

YES!!!! That's EXACTLY what I mean. I didn't mean category per say. Your first response after I posted this morning really clarified a lot of things for me, Caeli. My problem was that I was "over-thinking" the process when it's really rather simple!!

And...

Quote from: Nymphadora on January 19, 2018, 12:54:57 PM
Hi Revenant,

I have a lot of fun with the Wiki too. My main page needs some reorganizing but I'm in there all the time so I can have access to character pics when I want them.

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/User:Nymphadora

Just using something like:  [[File:Agnes4-Nymph.jpg]] will insert the already uploaded picture to the specific wiki page you want it on. Maybe that is what you mean by linking them?

BTW and to follow what Caeli has said about categories: The uploads you have categorized as (Private:Revenant Character Story17) and so on, all, when you click that link in your contributions, head over to a page that has not been created for each one of the 'categories'.

From there my tip comes in regarding 'linking' or inserting the image onto your page(s).

Now, I'm not an expert at all on the wiki, I've learned how to work with it much the same way you are. I have not used the categories part at all... >.>  I pretty much just forget to every time. It's like a mental block on it, actually...

I actually find myself enjoying the Wiki stuff. I look at other Wiki's like Caeli's and Geraint (who's actually been extremely helpful!), and a few others that I can't name but have beautiful front pages with the images!!!

I just want to use the Wiki as a place to keep track of all that I'm doing, you know? The stories; avatar history; inspirational images, and so on. It's a learning process, that's for sure!!!

Thank you both, Ladies. Your help is most appreciated!!

Revenant