Guardian Monsters | Angst - Romance - Psychological | OPEN

Started by kasper, March 08, 2016, 05:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deathnote

Another question.  When does the spectres' powers first manifest?  Are they born with their powers?  How do they generally find out what they are?

kasper

@Justric - I'm putting your character sheet up now!

Quote from: CurvyKitten on March 18, 2016, 11:51:44 AM
I've been peeking at this one, my only worry is with a game that is so tied to partners what happens when your characters partner POOFS from the rp?

Yo, Kitten. Well, hopefully we won't encounter that but these things happen. So, in that case, it would be up to whatever remaining half of the partnership wishes. We could open that exact role or possibly a similar role for somebody else to take on, if that doesn't happen, we could create a kind of loophole that works all around - maybe say, if a spectre abandons his/her own bonded human (for whatever reason, maybe the spectre is suicidal, maybe it has no interest in caring for a human even if that could result in death for themself) then another spectre is able to pick up that bond, given his/her own bonded human is on the verge of death. I don't leave people behind in my games and try to make sure everybody is included.

Quote from: Deathnote on March 18, 2016, 02:01:43 PM
Another question.  When does the spectres' powers first manifest?  Are they born with their powers?  How do they generally find out what they are?

The spectres are born slightly more advanced but they develop as much as they challenge themselves. Spectres are much more instinctual than humans, their bond to their human is instinctual as is their need to feed. But as some may be raised as human, then truly finding out can vary for each. They don't need human food to survive, so that could be one way but adults may assume that they are simply picky eaters. The spectres could begin to notice in school once they are around many other human children. They are likely to be ostracized or disliked by other children and will often get into trouble at school - not always but given their more violent disposition, I'd think that would be the case. And in rare cases, some may not know even until later in life. Perhaps they think their 'appetite' just a psychological flaw, then I'd say they could find out by their apparent immortality. Most are born to spectre parents who will be able to identify and properly raise a spectre child. Some humans may even be able to identify their child is a spectre - which could be for better or worse, all depending on the human parents' reaction. Hope that gives some ideas and helps clear things. Also, a note about the spectre powers because I'm not certain I mentioned it or not, but later on the spectres will be able to develop other powers beyond advanced physical abilities.

NO LOOSE ENDS; LET NONE BE THE NOOSE.

Deathnote

Oh, well... okay then, that actually fits perfectly with Ken's backstory.  In fact, I think I'll have him starting out not even knowing what a Spectre is.  ^_^

Andol

I know this seems silly to ask, but could maybe I bring in a human character? Is there enough space to do so?

kasper

Quote from: Deathnote on March 18, 2016, 02:01:43 PM

Cool, glad it works out for your character.

Quote from: Andol on March 19, 2016, 12:53:28 AM
I know this seems silly to ask, but could maybe I bring in a human character? Is there enough space to do so?

Nah, not a silly question. We're recruiting for either human characters or spectre characters, so yup!

Andol

Alright I think my character is pretty much done... XD

Name: Charles Castex
Race: Human
Bonded: TBD
Sexuality: Pansexual
Theme song: Live in Fear by Mark Crozer
Personality Traits: Aloof, Cold, Manipulative, Playful, Secretly Perverted, Hard to describe in one word yet I would say kind of that Mad Hatterish gig, but the more serious version of it if that makes sense.
Brief Bio: When he was younger Charles own intelligence separated him form others, both by his own doing when he found his peers to be boring... and other times when they couldn't understand him. Overtime this would eventually separate him from them not just socially, but emotionally as well. Not that this really mattered when one was able to become a professor at a university at a younger age... such separation was needed. To be quiet honest it is this that creates his close ties to his Specter and whatever it wishes to do... amusing observation perhaps? Or maybe one of many other motivations could drive him? Who knows... at the end of this game after all the blood would only be on a proxy's hands.     

Human:
Strength: 3/10
Regenerative: 4/10
Speed: 6/10
Endurance: 2/10
Intelligence: 10/10

kasper

Added your character, Andol.

At this point I think we actually do need more characters, specifically female to even things out a bit as right now it's particularly heavy on the male side.

We should also start considering how we would like to pair off the bonds. Feel free to talk about this among yourselves and let us know if there are any preferences. We'll try to get everyone added up as best as possible and please keep in mind that the bonds are not or do not have to be the most 'significant' relationship between characters.

CurvyKitten

I have a female maybe two in the works, not sure yet. Just didn't get them done before sleep called me last night LOL. I was dealing a head ache though so I doubt they would have gotten done yesterday anyway hehe. But I'm good today and plan on getting stuff done on E :)

kasper

Heh, I get that, Kitten, so that's fine! Can't wait to see what you have.

Boo are you still gonna make another character? If so I think that might really even things out.

I'm also thinking about playing the role of Percy if nobody is interested in that and then debating on another character I really want to add. I can never seem to start a game with just 2 characters. It is my weakness.

Hob

Quote from: kasper on March 19, 2016, 01:29:54 PM
I'm also thinking about playing the role of Percy if nobody is interested in that and then debating on another character I really want to add. I can never seem to start a game with just 2 characters. It is my weakness.

You and me both! I'm tempted to create a second, but so far common sense is prevailing.

CurvyKitten

removed from play

Hob

Nice, Kitten!

Kasper, if you do Percy and Boo brings in another human, I'll see what I can do about a male specter. I have a few ideas there, but I don't want to unbalance anything.

In the meantime, I think I'll leave Russell unbonded and unawares...

kasper

Hey Kitten, the only issue I saw was with Inara and her bonded human - it creates conflict with the whole premises of the story. The spectres die if their bonded human dies. I am open to making a loophole as I said earlier, but mostly only if a writer drops and another writer's character is left without anywhere to go. We could try and do a loophole for the purpose of the backstory where Inara finds a replacement bond essentially within moments her bonded human dies, but I would prefer if the human died of a natural cause or was suicidal, in other words beyond the spectre's protection. If the spectre was unable to protect the human that means they failed and results in death for the spectre. I just don't want the spectres to be invincible!

I think I should try and explain the bond a little better because there seems to be a little confusion which is understandable since it's kind of a weird concept.

Essentially, the spectre cannot live without the bond. No bond = dead. A bond is ingrained at birth. Spectres do not choose their bond. Spectres cannot go their whole childhood without having a bond until suddenly forming one at adulthood. That is not to say that the spectre must be a part of the human's life. The spectre can decide to basically live a separate life though most spectres are driven to be involved with their bonded humans lives, feeling the need to protect the human, thus protecting themselves. So, it is possible that the humans are unaware of their bonds, however spectres will always be drawn towards their bonded human.

Every human and every spectre must have a bond. I would rather you all have some input in the expectations of your desired bond. i.e. If you want a bond where the human is unaware and the spectre doesn't approach until recently or if you want a human and their spectre to be very familiar with each other. If you want a crazy spectre or a more stable spectre. If you'd have any preference to whether your spectre is male or female (even though as stated before, the bonded human and spectre are not expected to be romantic). If you'd rather your spectre feed on your human or other humans. And all this is vice versa for those with spectre characters of course.

So, for example...

For my spectre Kasper, I want him to have a close but tense relationship with his bonded human. I do not have a preference to whether the human is male or female. My spectre has a very strong and violent bloodlust, I would like if the human were disturbed by that. I would like the human to sway between having Kasper feed on themselves and feed on others.

For my human Nigiri. I want him to have an extremely close relationship with his spectre almost like an older protective brother type role. I would prefer the spectre to be a more mature and stable male. The spectre would usually feed on other humans.

I hope this helps some. If there are any questions, let me know! I know this can be a little confusing.

Hob

Ahhhh.... Starting to see!

So, who wants a successful musician set on a self-destructive path?

(On a side note, seeing as how we have the minimum 4 humans and 4 specters, perhaps an OOC thread is in order so we might plan out relationships and the like without cluttering the recruitment thread? Just a thought.)

CurvyKitten

In that case I will simply have to hold of on my specter, at least until I find a concept that interests me more than the one I came up with. Sorry wasting your time in that regard.

Hob

If I may, why not just keep Nick and not have him bonded to her? From what I've read of Kasper's presented material, specters can feed off of other people; they just need the bond itself to survive. Nick could remain just as important to your specter as a grounding agent (and possibly lover), and his death loses none of the drama or emotional impact upon your character.

Again, just a suggestion, diffidently given.

Andol

Awww well hold on I have a helpful idea... I mean if we are going with a Charles and Inara as a bonded pair... maybe it could be worked out. Charles could have been there when Nick died... given his personality he would have enjoyed putting down those people if it was people that did it. X(

CurvyKitten

But that still leaves her unbounded and losing the person she is bound to when he dies, which with the way it is described kills her as well. So in the end it make my whole back story not possible. It's not just nick, its her mother's death as well, and then the years of bouncing around. With the way things are set, it just isn't possible. Unless I am simply utterly misunderstand the whole setting.

So I'd have to change her whole back ground, and at this point I don't know how to do that.

Andol

What do you mean by unbound... her mother and Nick don't have to be the person she is bounded to in order for them to play a large role in her life from what I understand at least about the Specters, given that the person they are bonded to is decided at birth... sort of a predetermined thing I guess. Her bounded can be her bonded, but she not figure that out till she actually meets them... at least I am pretty sure this is how it goes.

Hob

And her mother could still have known that her daughter was a Specter (or at least suspected it.) Perhaps her absent father was one, a Specter who conceived a child with a human woman but then followed his bond elsewhere? She tried to kill her daughter and failed either because a) she was ignorant of how to go about killing a Specter or b) she relented at the last... but either way, she could still have killed her mother in hunger/self-defense.

Kasper - clarification, please? Can Specters die by other means than their bonded human dying? Or only by the death of their bonded human?

kasper

Talking to Kitten about creating a solution so that she might be able to keep Inara if she is happy and comfortable with doing so, which is why I haven't responded to any of this, guys.

But to answer Justric:

Spectres can only die by the death of their bonded human.

Hob

Bonus.  That's going to make for some awesome scenes down the road....

Andol

Oh yeah... almost like making figuring out which human is connected to who... is one of those figuring out a secret weakness or secret identity things. Boy did that sentence just sound confusing. 

kasper

Quote from: Justric on March 19, 2016, 05:23:17 PM
Bonus.  That's going to make for some awesome scenes down the road....

Exactly.

Quote from: Andol on March 19, 2016, 05:30:12 PM
Oh yeah... almost like making figuring out which human is connected to who... is one of those figuring out a secret weakness or secret identity things. Boy did that sentence just sound confusing. 

...what? lol

Bekah Boo

Name:Lily Mathews
Bonded:TBD
Sexuality:Heterosexual
Personality:Sensitive, Easily startled, Fearful,Loyal, Tormented
Brief Bio:WIP

Stats:

Human:

Strength: 2/10
Regenerative:5/10
Speed:3/10
Endurance:8/10
Intelligence:7/10

So sorry for the wait, it's still a WIP though I at least wanted to throw something up.