(DnD 5e) The Dusk before Dawn

Started by ShadowFox89, June 04, 2017, 11:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Time are dark for the land. The great Republic has fallen after several hundred years. It's defenders turned to aggressors, attempting to assassinate the chancellor. In response, the Arcane Knights were disbanded, it's members slain or exiled in ensuing conflicts, arcane magic itself becoming a strictly controlled power that is all but outlawed. Changes came swiftly after the fall of the Arcane Knights- the Republic was reformed into an empire, it's rival the Confederated States swiftly being crushed. Non-humans became second class citizens, it was demihumans after all that formed the Confederated States, they were the obvious threat. Uprisings occurred, of course, but with the magitech arsenal at the Empire's disposal all resistance was quickly crushed. Now, the fledgling rebellion has been pushed to the edges of the land, struggling just to survive. In the southern tip of the continent, a spark burns.... with the potential to grow.

Dusk before Dawn is a DnD 5e game set in a homebrew fantasy world, the world itself being open to creation with input from potential players. Looking for five players for the game. Character creation is first level with quick advancement planned until about level 5-6, 27 point buy. All classes and races are open for play, however Unearthed Arcana is a case by case basis, though the latest update for the Mystic class is approved.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Revelation

Three questions

1) Why 25 point buy and not 27? A bit curious on that.

2) Variant humans allowed?

3) Revised ranger from UA allowed or no?

Zaer Darkwail

So any class or race is free, arcane magic is strictly controlled/outlawed (want know in detail in relation to different classes; warlocks, sorcers, spellthiefs, wizards etc) and demi-humans (assuming any non-human races) are secondary citizens. So overall would want know how 'nazi' is the new government and what overall laws/military structure is in great Republic and what it was before between Republic and Confederate States.

Also curious about 25 vs 27 (later being standard for normal point buy) and are variant humans allowed and besides Republic and Confederate States are there other nations (including any significant human cultures if any).

Also if arcane magic is restricted, how is clerical/druidic magic treated then?

ShadowFox89

Ah, meany 27, forgot that WotC did things oddly in that regard. No on the variant human, I'll have to look at UA ranger, and fluff questions I'll have to get to after napping before work (the joys of third shift).
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, anyways on ranger just quick comment the UA fixes the ranger (it has issues in core wise and very unpopular without UA fix). Beastmastery based ranger does work very weird manner and is more headache without UA example.

Chulanowa

How "magitech" are we talking? And is it a fully integrated thing like eberron, or more like how Warcraft does, just pasting modern technology into a fantasy world and calling it "oooo omagic"

...I think my preference is obvious  ;D

I'm thinking a minotaur monk, perhaps. Or an aarakocra fighter, depending. Shifter artificer? I have ideas y'all

Drowdeviant

*slides in* Oooo mystic class allowance. :3
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

TheFourthShade

I am interested, but I will be asking you questions over the instant messenger later.

Edit:  I plan on playing a young noble from the Empire who has been studying magic in secret, because learning forbidden things is good.  I'll be digging for more setting knowledge if this idea takes off and try to expand upon this very basic idea.

ShadowFox89

Alright, some more fluff stuff....

- Magitech is Eberron level; floating trains, skyships, etc. Arcaniteks/Artificers are government licensed and watched carefully and are the ones who manage and manufacture these items.

- UA Ranger variant is allowed, as is the artificer.

- The ban on arcane magic happened around 18 years ago.

- Divine magic is viewed with suspicion, but in general manage to stay safe under the protection of their churches/circles... so long as they stay out of Imperial affairs.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Batman4560

I'm new to 5th E and just wanting to run what I have in my players handbook for now. Would it be possible to just take the starting stats given in the phb?

AndyZ

If tech is Eberron level, any chance of Warforged Fighter?  Always have fun with those but don't get to play them often.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Batman4560 on June 05, 2017, 10:18:26 PM
I'm new to 5th E and just wanting to run what I have in my players handbook for now. Would it be possible to just take the starting stats given in the phb?

I'm pretty sure those stats are achieved with the 27-point buy anyway  :-)
if it helps, here's a link to a 5e pointbuy calculator: http://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/point-buy-calculator.html

Batman4560

ShadowFox89

Quote from: AndyZ on June 05, 2017, 10:19:09 PM
If tech is Eberron level, any chance of Warforged Fighter?  Always have fun with those but don't get to play them often.

Warforged is allowed, yes.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Drowdeviant

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 05, 2017, 10:37:37 PM
Warforged is allowed, yes.

How are psychic abilities seen by the empire? :I
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

ShadowFox89

For the most part, the same as arcane magic; the knights used a mix of arcane and psionics in their role as peace keepers.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Drowdeviant

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 05, 2017, 10:46:05 PM
For the most part, the same as arcane magic; the knights used a mix of arcane and psionics in their role as peace keepers.

Great ~

Looks like I'm likely gonna play a secretly rebellious noble born femme fatale. xD

Batman4560

I think I'm leaning towards Bard or Fighter.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Batman4560 on June 05, 2017, 10:37:12 PM
Oh cool! Thank Will Wheton!

Best part is that is a picture of him shilling for fifth edition. Meta jokes!

Chulanowa

Huh. So far my interest is split four ways between Rogue, Monk, Cleric, and Paladin.

What sort of "feel" are you looking for here, shadow? Are we going to be grim and gritty antiheroes in a doomed rebellion? Or is it high adventire and self-serving swashbuckling? <Perhaps we're Big Damn Heroes?

Basically, are we Batman, Peter Quill, or Superman?  ;D

Zaer Darkwail

I myself lean towards a figther, more specifically one which takes eldricth knight archtype (basically a guy who was apprentice to one the arcane knights and his mentor slain despite him having nothing to do with assassination attempt, him merely being 'too stubborn' for laws liking).

Lyku

Any room for another player.  I love feeding my DND addiction.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

ShadowFox89

It's not going to be on first-come-first serve, so the more the merry.

As far as adventure style, that largely depends on the party makeup, but the plan is a little bit of everything. There will be skyships and floating fortresses as well as the chance to go far and wide for allies, but you're also fighting against someone who has had nearly two decades to cement their power and stomp out resistance.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, then maybe not apprentice but son of one arcane knights then in my char case :P. Leaning towards half-elf (opening up potential entry to bladesinger archtype if multiclass to wizard career to get it if bladesinger is allowed archtype).

Drowdeviant

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 06, 2017, 08:55:18 AM
It's not going to be on first-come-first serve, so the more the merry.

As far as adventure style, that largely depends on the party makeup, but the plan is a little bit of everything. There will be skyships and floating fortresses as well as the chance to go far and wide for allies, but you're also fighting against someone who has had nearly two decades to cement their power and stomp out resistance.

Only two decades? Bah! Strahd Von Zarovich would surely laugh at this silly individual. xD