Amazingly, Microsoft has decided not to sue.

Started by Oniya, December 29, 2010, 06:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

mystictiger

Microsoft have really made a killing with kinect - it's the cutting edge of a new trend. Anything that gets Kinect into the media gets Kinect off shelves and out of warehouses.
Want a system game? I got system games!

Star Safyre

Now this takes the WoW diet to the next level.  Think of the calories he's burning!
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Revolverman

He must have also hacked it so the damn thing works.

mystictiger

Quote from: Revolverman on December 29, 2010, 08:30:14 PM
He must have also hacked it so the damn thing works.

I had absolutely no trouble with mine.
Want a system game? I got system games!

Jude

As I understand it, it's functioning differs vastly depending on whether or not you have the appropriate lighting and space requirements met.

Sabby

Also depends on how well the game utilizes it. This is it's teething period... the next year is going to be very important for Kinect.

Oniya

Personally, I'd like to see how well it works with a fighter type.  Mage-types spend most of the time waving their hands about, casting spells, so the reaching and grabbing motions would be intuitive.  Would a fighter character actually make swinging motions?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jude

Fighter's Uncaged is a Kinect fighter and it's terrible.

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on December 30, 2010, 09:19:18 PM
Personally, I'd like to see how well it works with a fighter type.  Mage-types spend most of the time waving their hands about, casting spells, so the reaching and grabbing motions would be intuitive.  Would a fighter character actually make swinging motions?
No, you'd be making the same motions. The motions aren't imitating the actions; they're activating programmed responses assigned to keys. "Reach right" doesn't correspond to "some spell," it corresponds to "3," which is the key you assigned to Frostbolt or Heroic Strike or whatever.

Some classes would be a bit slower than others, though. Ret paladin? Actions every few seconds as things come off cooldown, sure. But a Rogue? It'd look like you're playing DDR with the amount of flailing around you'd have to do to keep up with all their actions in combat. Leaning forward/backward for movement also seems pretty sketchy; you'd have to have perfect posture to not move around all the time, ne? Camera control also looks kinda chunky. I dunno, there's potential, but it'd need some serious smoothing out to even be considered practical at all, much less competitive with a keyboard/mouse combo.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.