INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (3.5) [LOOKING FOR PLAYERS]

Started by Krayz, September 08, 2011, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krayz

So, I know that there are always people interested in a nice roleplay involving everyone's favourite subterranean dark elves. I'm in desperate need of one myself, at the moment, and so I want to see how much support I can rally behind me before I start working on setting something up. The game would be based on Forgotten Realms (pre 4th Edition) drow, not Eberron, but the game itself would not BE a Forgotten Realms game.

Really, it would be just a drow game, with everything outside of the immediate surroundings being left rather vague. What I want is a game emphasising the everyday life of mid- to upper-class drow players. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Snake

Isn't there already one of these up in here?

Krayz

With no offense meant to the maker of the thread, that game (in my personal opinion) isn't a full-on group game. That's him wanting HIS game with multiple women to play in it. It's also centred around one drow house. I want this game to cover an entire city.

Snake

There's nothing wrong with that and a drow city is extremely complex and hard to manage, YOu have to absolutely know every little nuance going on and have to keep track of multiple plots all going on at once if you want it to feel authentic.

Myrleena

Color me tentatively interested.  I definitely like the idea, I'd just have to know more of what you expect to make a decision.  And yes, I know a lot about drow and the Forgotten Realms.

Kolbrandr

would it be system? freeform? would there be an actual person(s) serving as GM? Potentially interested pending more detail and all.

Black Howling

Same as Myrleena, though double the questions Kolbrandr asked. And what sort of speed would the game be moving, or that you'd like it to move?

Krayz

Quote from: Snake on September 08, 2011, 06:01:04 PM
There's nothing wrong with that and a drow city is extremely complex and hard to manage, YOu have to absolutely know every little nuance going on and have to keep track of multiple plots all going on at once if you want it to feel authentic.
You're right, but there's not really room for more guys in a one-man-show plot like his. As for the other complaint, it's all a matter of being obsessive, a trait I fortunately have in abundance :P

@Myrleena: Well, part of it is that I want to know what other players want. But I'm thinking something along the lines of House politics; for the sake of simplicity, have only a few Houses of incredible power (Like Erelei-Cinlu) rather than dozens of weaker ones with a few top-tier houses (like Menzoberranzan). A fun little twist would be to have all the Houses be of roughly equal strength, but in different areas (one having the most priestesses, another the best soldiers/Weapons Master, another a penchant for arcane magic, etc).

There would be the facts of drow life to play around; the submissive position drow society forces on males, and their living in it or fighting against it; the Machiavellian nature of drow politics and hierarchy, and players moving up and down within it; the state of war with (most likely) every nearby settlement in the Underdark and above.

I think the most important thing for me is my hatred of the 'noble rebel against the debauched society'. Drizzt was awesome because he was unique; Xeroxing him over and over again just results in these twisted little things that give the whole concept of drow a bad name. I *don't* want a player-set of Drizzts; I want wicked, sensuous, diabolical dark elves that are so much fun because they are so EVIL.

@Kol: My preference for these sorts of things is usually free-form but D&D-based; no, you don't need to roll up a 3.5 character, but some understanding of the mechanics of magic, for example, is good. As well, a vague kind of idea of power level is nice, establishing which characters are the powerhouses in the city and why, and which ones are the above-average but not epic.

As for GM, I usually try to pseudo-GM any games I try to set up, but I don't usually make an actual job out of it. I'd settle disputes, set the guidelines and enforce them, and provide new plot direction when things get old. But this isn't meant to be the War of the Spider Queen, with an overarching mission and such. This is more meant as a sexy drow soap opera sort of thing.

@Black: I'm not sure what you mean by the question, honestly. If it's what I think it is, it'd probably move at a day-by-day kind of pace. Like I said, more of a day-in-the-life kind of game than Epic Quest for the MacGuffin.

Black Howling

Quote from: Krayz on September 08, 2011, 07:18:42 PM
@Black: I'm not sure what you mean by the question, honestly. If it's what I think it is, it'd probably move at a day-by-day kind of pace. Like I said, more of a day-in-the-life kind of game than Epic Quest for the MacGuffin.
Meaning how often are you expecting players to post.

EbonyQueen

Well, this one seems more of the type of game I would express interest with. I was kind of wanting a Drow-based game after reading the last one, but how the game was set up didn't really agree with me.

I will again express tentative interest but a question I have is this: What 'sort' of characters do you envision being allowed for the players of the game? Daughters, Matrons, Priestesses... what is off-limits and what would you -like- to see character wise?

Myrleena

Hmm...well, while I don't want to play a 'heroic' drow, I'm not really in the mood to play an out-and-out evil one either.  To be honest, I was tempted by the idea of playing a drow who's more in the merchant class, running a high-end club/bar where drow can meet on vaguely neutral ground.  Still not certain if I want to be in it or not yet, though.

Krayz

Quote from: Black Howling on September 08, 2011, 07:21:34 PM
Meaning how often are you expecting players to post.
Probably 3+/- times a day. I do have other things going on in my life, so I don't want to feel the need to check this every fifteen minutes. But the game is so day to day that you can't just post once a day and expect to get anywhere.

@Ebony: In terms of what you mentioned, I don't think I want any of the girls playing Matron Mothers, but there's definitely room for daughters and sons of the Matron. Weapons Masters tentatively; there's only a few slots for those, if we keep the House number low, so I don't want every guy jumping on that immediately.

I'd probably handle the Matrons myself, to be honest. Not as characters, but as plot drivers.

@Myrleena: That's more than fine, to be honest. A selfish-but-not-malicious drow is just fine. I just don't want to see any Rage Against the Spider Queen drow, unless it's done in an interesting, non-Drizzt xerox way.

Black Howling

Quote from: Krayz on September 08, 2011, 07:40:27 PM
Probably 3+/- times a day. I do have other things going on in my life, so I don't want to feel the need to check this every fifteen minutes. But the game is so day to day that you can't just post once a day and expect to get anywhere.
Then that's a no go for me. I can't post that much while working full time.

EbonyQueen

Quote from: Krayz on September 08, 2011, 07:40:27 PM
@Ebony: In terms of what you mentioned, I don't think I want any of the girls playing Matron Mothers, but there's definitely room for daughters and sons of the Matron. Weapons Masters tentatively; there's only a few slots for those, if we keep the House number low, so I don't want every guy jumping on that immediately.

Fair enough, I believe I will bow out then. I suppose playing a 7th daughter or some such really doesn't strike a chord of 'neat' to me.

Krayz

I didn't mean like seventh. I just don't want a cast of Matrons and Archmages ._. Even first daughters and high priestesses would be ok...

And I'm sorry to hear that, Black Howling.

Kolbrandr

ahh, okay, I'm not, to be honest, big into freeform, thanks for the reply though. You do look to be getting some decent starting interest though anyway, so I imagine you should be able to build something.

edit: the ruck and run and intrigue and strife and back and forth within a drow city itself is just fine, I mean, wasn't ragging on that as a core idea, just not big into freeform.

Krayz

Quote from: Kolbrandr on September 08, 2011, 07:47:32 PM
ahh, okay, I'm not, to be honest, big into freeform, thanks for the reply though. You do look to be getting some decent starting interest though anyway, so I imagine you should be able to build something.
You kidding? Every person whose looked thus far is bowing out for one issue or another v_v;

Kolbrandr

Hey now, people post interest threads that get no replies at all, that people both swing in to look and then make a post is a start..

Krayz

Fair nuff.

And I understood, Kol :) I'm glad you liked the idea, and sorry that the freeform is a dissuader for you.

PaleEnchantress

Tenetive interest. Particularly in exploring a character of mine that is a very high level male cleric of Lolth. Lolth does have the rare male priest but they tend to be rather mercenary. We know Lolth loves fucking with her own clergy and causing Havok and letting a male ascent high n the priesthood would do that. He even uses female titles (priestess rather then priest) mush like female Pharos used to present themselves as male. I would also require someone MxM action for my character. As a rule ill be seductive and do limited sexual actions with females but i really only enjoy MxM. If my concept can fit for you let me know.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Krayz

That could be quite interesting. Do you have precedent of male priests of Lolth? I know that she has had male *clerics*, but not all clerics are priests, and vice versa.

I hate to discourage interest, but I'm almost positive that there's a downright law against male priests of the Spider Queen...

Zaer Darkwail

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lolth

In above link there is mention about 'few and rare' male priests and in second edittion there was male drow clerics of Lolth up to 6th level. It is mentioned no male should get rank of high priest but I could think the old former high priestess got paranoid and tried kill male drow cleric....and somereason Lolth had forsaked the high priestess and male won the fight.

By normal standards cleric vs cleric fight the surivor would attain defeated cleric's position if defeated foe was higher rank. But as male it is orthodox to do so, but with well timed show of power and blessing from Lolth towards male could allow make very unique rare expection. But no doubt whole church filled with drow female clerics all would plot kill the man in that position because of the superiority sense. So no doubt male would face minimum ten assassination and twenty poisoning attempts per day. If he still survives all that for extended time then there can be male high priest until Lolth declares a worthy replacement for him (most likely with his death).

Anyways my cents about the matter. Anyways I find the concept interesting but would prefer if it is system than freeform really.

Myrleena

Still deciding here.  Somewhat hesitant as of yet.

As for the male cleric...when I looked in Drow of the Underdark, it didn't say that Lolth didn't allow male clerics.  However, it did say that no male drow could enter her priesthood.  It also heavily implied that male drow clerics were primarily of the other drow deities, not Lolth as she tends to only view females as worthy servants.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, if we follow present edition then it would be no for male clerics but in older editions there were but none outranked female clerics.

Also could rule that any male wanting become Lolth cleric must undergo gender change.

Krayz

"Drow of the Underdark" is 3.5, Zaer, which is the definitive edition for me on the matter. And note that in my initial post on the matter, I differentiated between "cleric" and "priestess".

If it was a male cleric operating outside the priesthood, but being powerful enough to have a following (and resist the dozens of assassination attempts a day), then that would work.

And I'm sorry to hear that the lack of system is a downer for you, Zaer. You're a good player =/