Pathfinder (DnD) for Newbies and Beginners (looking for 2)

Started by hippyness, May 04, 2013, 08:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeraphBlade07

Blythe

Is there a good online resource I can use to read about the setting? Just asking.

Roxy Rocket

Golarion (I keep thinking Galore-ian) is a mash of kingdoms and empires and things in a region called The Inner Sea. Each one is basically a flavor specific setting (Galt is a continuous French Revolution, Ustalev is Transylvania land, Brevoy is a redo of A Song of Ice and Fire.) There's on nation that's all Barbarians, Dinosaurs and wrecked Alien Spaceships. There's even a region (the world wound? I forget) that's basically warhammer: a constant crusade against the demons crawling out of the earth.

It's generic for D&D. There's room for steampunk, barbarian hordes and even some Planes (as in planescape... don't ask.) They're covered in splats, one for each race and region, a core book (Guide to the Inner Sea?) and the important bits are on most Pathfinder Wikis if you peek around for Golarion.

Specific to us:

The jumping off point is Taldor. It's a former empire, mostly human and well enough off, but its upper crust is corrupt and wasteful and enamored with Knights and Sorcery.

The group turns up in... um, Hemskelt? Some backwater village, population less than five hundred. It's the nearest settlement to a forest that's fallen under a spell of winter, true winter, harsh and blasting and out of season, localized on the forest.

A noble woman of Taldor (I forget the reason, getting married or such) was traveling and was waylaid near the forest. The adventurers are concerned with her rescue (for reward or reknown) and perhaps seeing about the trouble of the weather over the forest.

The broad plot has to do with Irresen, a nation up north where a witch of ice and snow rules. This witch changes every hundred years as they're brought by their mother, Baba Yaga, left to rule and ripen for a hundred years and then join their mother on some other plane.

The change hasn't happened, Baba Yaga hasn't turned up and Winter is going all over the place, with the PC's trapped in the far north and trying to fix things.

So, mostly it's about Irresen, Taldor is just a generic fantasy hole we jump off from and then we get to freeze out bits off for the good of the world.

Blythe

*reads what Roxy posted*

Oh, good. I feel better about the setting now, since it's supposed to be generic.  :-)

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Blythe on May 09, 2013, 06:12:02 PM
*reads what Roxy posted*

Oh, good. I feel better about the setting now, since it's supposed to be generic.  :-)

Generic setting for generic people like us.

And put your pants back on for godsake.

Blythe

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Blythe on May 09, 2013, 07:19:03 PM
...no.

You know, just cause y'aint the only misfit halfbreed in this here convoy doesn't mean y'ain't special.

And Yer takin "stand out" a little literally thar.

*wonders where everyone went*

Blythe

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 08:14:48 PM

Lurking and I keep in touch via PM, and she's still working on a character sheet, the last time we chatted. As for everyone else, I've no clue.

Roxy Rocket

Well, that's okay. More Ice Witches for the rest of us.

*yawns starts trying on witch-burning outfits*

Mmmm. Repressing their heathen religion...

*drools*

Yukina

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 08:14:48 PM
      You know, just cause y'aint the only misfit halfbreed in this here convoy doesn't mean y'ain't special.

And Yer takin "stand out" a little literally thar.

I am still present.

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Yugishogun on May 09, 2013, 09:04:09 PM
I am still present.

Nawp. Too late ya little stuffed baar thang, ya missed roll call.

No treasure for you today. We've got this Enrique guy fillin' yer place.

Yukina

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 09:14:54 PM
      Nawp. Too late ya little stuffed baar thang, ya missed roll call.

No treasure for you today. We've got this Enrique guy fillin' yer place.

I have been fully present. I have only not posted due to lack of things to say. In what way would that mean I get replaced? My character sheet link is on the second page as well.

Blythe

Yukina

Sorry. I don't take unnoted teasing as a joke really. I have never found teasing funny, but just hurtful....

SeraphBlade07

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Yugishogun on May 09, 2013, 09:29:22 PM
Sorry. I don't take unnoted teasing as a joke really. I has never funny, but just hurtful....

Sorry big guy. I'll stow the chatter in mah handi-haversack fer the present.

(And Enrique was, ya know, mexican type person or something stealin' yer jerb...)

Ahem, shutting up now.

Blythe

I don't think Roxy meant it badly, Yugi.   Ninja'd.

Oh, I did want to ask those of you here if any of you wanted to think of ways some of our characters might know each other? I mean, the whole party might not be fully acquainted, but maybe some of know each other already? Might be interesting.

Yukina

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 09, 2013, 09:31:53 PM
Sorry big guy. I'll stow the chatter in mah handi-haversack fer the present.

(And Enrique was, ya know, mexican type person or something stealin' yer jerb...)

Ahem, shutting up now.

It's fine. Just please tell me before you do that though.

Roxy Rocket

Honestly, I thought I was going to take the Rich Parents Trait, turn up with a wagon of equipment and gold and hire me a team of upstanding citizens to help retrieve my dear cousin from yon winter wood.

I kinda scrapped most of that so I'm down to "wander out to the boonies with my implausibly strong twin and start looking for a carriage tipped over, maybe with a lot of arrows in it."

Maybe I could find the nearest bar and make some awful, pretend-drunk speech:

*Loud and badly acted*

"What? How dare you sir. Just because I'm rescuing a damsel, doesn't mean I'm going to ransom her back to her family for piles of gold. Yes, yes, maybe I'd ask politely for compensation for having dealt with some minor and inconsequential bandits and ruffians, but that is hardly a ransom. Besides, I bet she wasn't even carrying her golden tiara or bejeweled handkerchief when they took her into those woods. What kind of lady would keep those things in her luxury carriage to get stolen by inconsequential bandits, who wouldn't even know where to hide such treasures properly, lest they be stolen back by stout hearted adventurers. If I were looking for riches, you rude person, I would hardly need to ransom grateful, generous, high born ladies."

*Stops hamming it up before we run out of pigs*

Yukina

The bar bit seems interesting. Mayb my character could meet your's on he journey. She the runaway oracle of her town, having only been accepted by her human hometown due to her powers.

Marie Reynolds

Sorry College just started and it ate me, but I am back and I hope their is still a slot for me?

SeraphBlade07

Understandable about college eating people it does that...

hippyness

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on May 10, 2013, 09:03:04 AM
Sorry College just started and it ate me, but I am back and I hope their is still a slot for me?

Of course. As for being quiet, I had not expected this game to fill up and be ready to start so quickly. I have real life obligations that take some of my time during the week and of course unexpected things as well. Tonight I should be able to post a starting thread.

Sadly, this Path doesn't have a built in reason for why your characters come together in this tiny town so we'll say it's fate that you're souls happen to be in the area. For whatever reason, heading somewhere else, born there or unlucky enough to be stuck there, you guys are in, around or a part of the town.

Force that into your back stories and away we'll be. ^_-
Totally me in that avatar. ^_-
I need something exactly seven percent stronger than TEA!
Something I have found helpful from other partners. http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=hippyness

SeraphBlade07

Marie Reynolds

Okay so I have settled on a Ulfen Human Female Shield Maiden With the Cavalier Class and the Archetype Beast Rider and will have an Auroch as my mount. Would anyone like to make some background ties?