Swine Flu; Looks dangerous!

Started by stimulationii, April 27, 2009, 01:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stimulationii

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/27/swine.flu/index.html

"Mexico seems to be the epicenter of the outbreak, where as many as 103 deaths are thought to have been caused by swine flu, the country's health minister said. An additional 1,614 reported cases have been reported in the country."

Looks like this virus is picking up steam. Hopefully a vaccine will work come out soon.

=(

Oniya

Even without a vaccine, many household disinfectants will kill the virus (read the labels and make sure to leave the surfaces wet long enough).  Also, the virus responds well to treatment, which is probably an issue in the deaths.  There's a boy in my area that contracted it - they've closed down his school for a week as a precaution, but he's being treated and is expected to make a full recovery.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

stimulationii

Quote from: Oniya on April 27, 2009, 08:21:13 AM
Even without a vaccine, many household disinfectants will kill the virus (read the labels and make sure to leave the surfaces wet long enough).  Also, the virus responds well to treatment, which is probably an issue in the deaths.  There's a boy in my area that contracted it - they've closed down his school for a week as a precaution, but he's being treated and is expected to make a full recovery.

Glad to hear he is going to be alright. =]

The Dark Raven

Lysol spray will kill Influenza A (H1N1), same strain as the swine flu, if "left wet on a non-porous surface for 10 minutes."

Real lysol spray, not the generics. ;-)

And I suppose you could always clorox something.  Clorox kills anything. XD

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

Any disinfectant on the market has to go through EPA to allow them to make claims against the organisms that they kill.  The labels show what organisms they are effective against, as well as the contact time.

Non-food contact sanitizers have to kill 99.9% of the population of the organisms they claim.  Food contact has to kill 99.99% (might be another 9 in there, I'm forgetting at the moment.)  Disinfectants have to show no growth of the organism if you culture it after exposure for the contact time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Nessy

Quote from: Oniya on April 27, 2009, 05:38:20 PM
Any disinfectant on the market has to go through EPA to allow them to make claims against the organisms that they kill.  The labels show what organisms they are effective against, as well as the contact time.

Non-food contact sanitizers have to kill 99.9% of the population of the organisms they claim.  Food contact has to kill 99.99% (might be another 9 in there, I'm forgetting at the moment.)  Disinfectants have to show no growth of the organism if you culture it after exposure for the contact time.

Agreed. Brand doesn't matter. Read the label.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Heart

Apparently no deaths have been recorded OUTSIDE of mexico.
I'm not American so I don't know what the medical standards of Mexico are, but if they are substandard, I wouldn't worry about it becoming lethal in other places.

Silk

Is the common flu sometimes fatal in mexico? if so, i dont think we have anything to worry about.

Oniya

Your average healthy adult probably doesn't have anything to worry about - but how many of you know small children/infants, elderly people, or immunocompromised people (HIV, transplant recipients...)?  These are people who would be at the biggest risk from this or any other flu.

Kip

Quote from: Oniya on April 28, 2009, 08:44:23 PM
Your average healthy adult probably doesn't have anything to worry about - but how many of you know small children/infants, elderly people, or immunocompromised people (HIV, transplant recipients...)?  These are people who would be at the biggest risk from this or any other flu.

Strangely, this form of flu seems to be a bit different to most in this regard - In Mexico at least, the World Health Organisation reports that most cases have occurred in otherwise healthy young adults.  I don't know about in other countries....

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Nessy

Quote from: Kipoc on April 28, 2009, 10:35:27 PM
Strangely, this form of flu seems to be a bit different to most in this regard - In Mexico at least, the World Health Organisation reports that most cases have occurred in otherwise healthy young adults.  I don't know about in other countries....

Well the flu can kill a healthy young adult and adults in general as well. That is why everyone who works at a hospital is strongly encouraged to get the vaccine in addition to try and avoid getting sick in general, its a safety precaution. The hospital system I worked for even encouraged those of us who worked in the corporate office off campus to get it, and it's not because we are sick, elderly or children. I had minimal contact with patients and really encountered them when I attended meetings in conference rooms on the main campus, touching the counters and knowing sick people went to the hospital was enough. Influenza is a deadly disease, kills in the tens of thousands each year in the USA alone, but most people don't hide indoors from it. I think he media is helping fuel a panic.

I appreciate their words of caution but I question how much useful information is being given out.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Oniya

That's one of the reasons I posted the bit about household disinfectants.  Simple precautions (not oversanitizing) go a long way in preventing communicable diseases.

Nessy

Quote from: Oniya on April 28, 2009, 11:03:10 PM
That's one of the reasons I posted the bit about household disinfectants.  Simple precautions (not oversanitizing) go a long way in preventing communicable diseases.

Excellent advise. I also keep a bottole of Purrel (or any like brand) in the car for trips out or any other time washing isn't readily available.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

Jolt

Is it just me, or is there a new one of these "It will kill us all!" bugs every year or two?
BSE
SARS
MRSA
Bird Flu

And now there is swine flu.

Well, we have now had cows, chickens and pigs. So i guess the next is gonna be fish.
It's a vegan conspiricy i tells ya! lol  ;)

Yomamaween

I'm more afriad of the centipetes, spiders, and ickies that live in my basement, than I am of Swine Flu.  Hehe, and that's coming from a hypochondriac...

I am waiting for our next big pandemic to dole out stickers for the workd population...why I'm not freaked out right now is something i'm not too sure of.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Oniya on April 28, 2009, 08:44:23 PM

I'm not worried about me.  I'm gonna die when I die and trying to avoid little things like that would just ruin life.  But I am worried about my 3 year old and 4 month old. . .they are healthy but young.  If they were to get it and die I would be destroyed.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Jolt on April 30, 2009, 04:55:18 AM
Well, we have now had cows, chickens and pigs. So i guess the next is gonna be fish.
It's a vegan conspiricy i tells ya! lol  ;)

Are vegans safe to eat? :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Farelaldar

I think it always pays to be safe, then blase.  After all, the last big flu pandemic killed thousands millions of people and because of it, World War One... ended.  Good thing or not?

My tips for helping yourself stay healthy are:

Wash hands
Cover mouth when sneezing
Eat healthy
Exercise
And use Glen 20 (or other disinfectant spray) on your keyboard and phone -  particularly if you hot desk at work :)

Ons & Offs | Summer

My personal text is a quote from John Donne.  John Donne was a British poet.  {b. 1572  d. 1631}

Oniya

Quote from: Farelaldar on May 01, 2009, 08:31:43 PM
My tips for helping yourself stay healthy are:

Wash hands
Cover mouth when sneezing
Eat healthy
Exercise
And use Glen 20 (or other disinfectant spray) on your keyboard and phone -  particularly if you hot desk at work :)

Also - if you are around other people who are coughing and sneezing, cover your mouth, and if you don't have a tissue, cover your mouth/nose with the inside of your elbow.  (Think about it - your hands touch ten-thousand things through the day.  What does the inside of your elbow touch?)

Jolt

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 01, 2009, 08:06:27 PM
Are vegans safe to eat? :)

Depends on how well you marinate them  ;)

Alexander

I have it currently (I think. Im waiting for the swab test to come back tomorrow for confirmation)

Take great care if you go grocery shopping, Thats how i seem to have come down with it. If at ALL possible, leave your kids at home if they are of age, or have someone to babysit them.

Jolt

Alexander

The symptoms are nearly 100% identical to regular Flu. The only real difference (From what i read on Medrx.com)

is the fact that it can hop species, and is a lot more easily gotten from other sick people. Thats about it from my understanding.

Oniya

Hopefully there's some chicken soup in those groceries you got, Alexander.  Take all your antivirals if they give you any, use hot showers or a steam-pot to help open your airways, and get plenty of rest and fluids.

Jolt

So is it more or less dangerous than normal human flu?
(the real flu, not the cold that you call flu so you can get a day off work/more sympathy  ;D )