Gluten free living - A place to get information and share ideas

Started by fireflights, January 09, 2016, 11:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireflights

All my life, I'd had a low immune system as I was growing up. My stomach would put me through constant pain, I had so many trouble that if I described it to you, you would likely say it was TMI. So I won't put you through that, all I can say is the doctors didn't know what was wrong with me, would tell me I had IBS or that I just had a sensitive stomach. Why? Because what I truly had, there was no diagnosis for because no one back then looked into it properly. If they had, they would have learned that one thing that was truly my problem. Gluten....now I know many of you don't understand why people are gluten intolerant. Most have a disease that is called Celiacs which hadn't been named until modern days but had been documented under many other names through out the century. But there are many others out there who just have a sensitivity to gluten as well, while they are not Celiac, they have a viable medical condition such as an allergy *which yes you can be allergic to gluten just like everything else out there* or just sensitivity.

This is what I believe I am, though I haven't had the testing yet because frankly I am scared to go back onto gluten for the 12 weeks it needs to do the testing. What I do know is three years ago I was in so much pain, my health was so horrible that I ended up in the emergency room with such severe stomach pain, I could barely stand. They had me remove every food from my system that wasn't easily digestable for two weeks, which means I had to eat only croissants, ground beef cooked with no spices other than salt, processed meats. Now while I was still having some stomach issues, it wasn't nearly severe, so two weeks later I go back to the doctor and this time, they told me to go home and begin to slowly add foods back into my diet. I took one bite off the corner of a piece of whole wheat bread and found myself doubled over, almost crying from the severe pain for hours. This was how I found out I had gluten intolerance. Now why do I think I might be Celiacs? Because at this exact same time, the doctors before taking me off gluten actually tested my blood and my liver enzymes were higher than they should be. They did an ultrasound and found it enlarging. Yet as soon as I went fully off gluten, my liver enzymes within a month or two were back to normal and all signs of the fatty liver they claimed I had have gone away.

I immediately joined a celiac site which when I described my troubles, mirrored just about everyone of theirs, including the liver situation. So now, I treat myself like I am celiac, why? Because even though I haven't had the tests, every time I have gluten introduced to me by careless contamination, I have intense pains that just won't stop and i have to take charchoal pills to help push it out of my system. But let me tell you, going gluten free is not all fun and games. You have to literally read EVERY lable, even ones that claim they are gluten free or are placed in the gluten free section at the store, you can't just take anything for face value. Many things you once loved are out of your diet forever like croissants, puff pastries, processed meats, many condiments and so on.

But to be honest, that doesn't mean you can't live a life that still allows you to have the sweets, the fun of baking with your kids or just great food. In fact, all it keeps you from is a lot of processed stuff that has nothing but the bad for you. Since going gluten free, I'm making a heck of a lot more fresh foods, things I never thought I could make properly without regular flours like pies, cookies, cakes. And while yes, they aren't AS great as the original, as long as you do it right, you can get so very close to the original. Since moving here to Baltimore with my boyfriend, I have made cookies and pancakes, pies and even cakes *well okay he made the cakes but he used my gluten free flour and we have loved them* and every time, it's been fantastic though sometimes a little dry, but that's more of my needing to tweak the recipe a little more to add more moisture. If you really investigate things, try more than one brand to learn which ones are good, you can learn how to make choices that will actually make you feel like you're not missing nearly as much as you once thought you would.

I am going to tell you the brands of foods that I have found I like the most but I encourage you, seriously to check out other brands, don't be afraid to try them out because you might just find one you like better. I also welcome ideas, thoughts, recipes, which I will be sharing my own recipes I devise or find as well. The only way we can learn is from each other and our experiences, sharing out thoughts, feelings and everything. So while I am making this blog on here for me, I also welcome others to talk on it too, to get their own experiences with gluten free living out as well as share ideas for how to continue on.

http://archive.protomag.com/assets/celiac-disease-timeline-a-glutinous-history

I have taken the oath of the Drake

Livin in MD now.

Not taking anymore one on ones but ones already discussed with the partners.

fireflights

Okay, so in this one, I am going to list brands of foods as I find them and describe what I like about them so it gives you a resource, but honestly don't just stick with the ones I find because I'm always looking for new brands and ideas and so should you.

Gluten Free Bread and Mixes Brands
Breads:

Udis - While you have to be careful about this bread maker, because a lot of their loaves tend to have huge holes in them. If you can find a good one, their bread is pretty good and keeps well in the fridge or freezer. I like their one with the flax seed best because the texture is almost like wheat bread and it has good flavor plus added fiber.

Against the grain Baugette - While this is the only form of against the grain's breads I have tried so far, it is fantastic for things like meatball subs and pulled pork sandwiches. The baugette you just toast a little with some butter to soften the inside and bingo, the texture is awesome and the flavor is so great I wish I could find it more often.

Schar - While their white bread is just ....ok I didn't mind their baugette. I don't like their hot dog buns but that's not a big deal as I haven't found a hot dog bun yet that I like on the gluten free diet. They do however make a decent hamburger bun that I don't mind eating at all. It's soft and the texture is close to the wheat brands out there.

Food for life - Brown rice bread, though I personally have not tried this yet, I will look into it so I can give it my own personal review but it was recommended for this by someone who also has a caesin and egg, soy allergy so this will be good for anyone who has the combination.

Krustez - They made a gluten free wild blue berry muffin mix and corn bread with honey mix that my boyfriend and I both like. Great for breakfast for the blue berry muffins or great with chili for the cornbread :D

Hodgson mill - Apple muffin mix with flaxseed. I have tried and tried to find a way to make these muffins taste better and I just can't, they are not good at all. Even my boyfriends son's wouldn't touch these.

Gillian's kitchen - While I have only tried their garlic bread when it comes to their breads, they are really tasty and the slices are pretty big, I have to cut them in half to actually make sure I have a decent size because they are that big.

Katz - Challah bread, very good! I have made fantastic french toast and bread pudding with this. Very tasty even just lightly toasted and buttered with jam. Highly recommend for anyone who can have it. Katz.com

Live G Free - While i have only found this in the  hamburger buns and hotdog buns, both were soft, not too much bread wise and very tasty. They do have wraps but I have not been able to try them yet, will update if I find I can find them. They are only sold by Aldi's which is a grocery store out here in Maryland and on the East Coast.
Gluten Free Pasta Brands
Pasta:

Heartland Pasta - This is THE best pasta I have found and never once had a reaction. The texture of the pasta is so close to wheat made pastas that I truly feel like I'm not missing anything. They make it taste like regular pasta too. My boyfriend who isn't gluten free like me likes this pasta just as much as I do. They have penne, fusilli, spaghetti and lasagna pasta.

Barilla - I tried this once on their gluten free and I will say I am not at all impressed. The pasta literally fell apart as I was eating it and I didn't over cook it, I didn't under cook it. I followed their directions to the letter. The taste also wasn't that great, I really don't prefer this pasta to be honest.

Tinkyadia - again recommended by someone and so I'll place it on here. I will give it a try if I can find it in my area, but if she likes it I'm sure it will be good :D

Wild Harvest - A new pasta sold by Redners, it's not bad. I still prefer heartland or Aldi's Live G Free but this is a good one.

Live G Free - Awesome pasta! That's about all I can say about that one.
Gluten Free Flour Blends
Flour:

Pamela's Artisan flour blend- So far I have only tried the Pamela's gluten free flour blend which works cup for cup on most if not all regular recipe's calling for flour. I have so far made cookies that were good, a tad dry but I just have to add more moisture to them and I think they will be just perfect next time. My boyfriend made a pound cake using this flour, it's his father's recipe so sorry won't ever be sharing that one, but it came out fantastic, not dry at all and combined with strawberry fluff had been a delicious strawberry shortcake type thing.

Bob's Redmill all purpose flour- though you have to buy xanthan gum to bind this flour unlike the Pamela's it works just as well and even has fiber in it as it's made from Fava Beans. It's taste is pretty good cooked at least :D. Edit: About to try their gluten free pancake mix, so will inform you how that goes the weekend my stepsons are here.

Gluten Free Bisquick - Makes decent enough biscuits and pancakes.

Live G Free Baking Mix - Makes very good pancakes, that is all I have yet to try them on.
Gluten Free Cookie brands
Cookies:

Tate's cookies - I have only found these on Amazon though many have told me you can find them in stores too. I like their crystallized ginger cookies, soft, tasty and has yummy chewy ginger pieces in the buttery cookie that give you this pop of ginger flavor that is just fantastic. I have tried their others, but while the chocolate one is okay, nothing matches up to that ginger one. I highly recommend.

Wow cookies- I have tried their snickerdoodle and while that one is okay, it doesn't fully remind me of a snickerdoodle and is not my fave cookie by them. However they also have a lemon drop cookie that I instantly fell in love with. It's not too overpowering on the lemon flavoring, they are soft, chewy and very tasty.

Schar - I haven't tried many of their things, but I just tried their chocolate sandwich cookies and you can highly taste the rice flour in this one, the texture when I bit into it was really not very good. I understand they are meant to be a shortbread but this is just not very good in my opinion. The best part of it was the cream center.

Glutino - Their chocolate wafer cookies remind me a lot of kitkat. While I can't have Kitkat anymore, this gives me the crispy wafer, chocolate around it and between the layers as well, so it's very like it and satisfies that crunch you want.

Pamela's Figgies and Jammies - I have only tried the regular flavor of this but oh my gosh they are SO good. Cured my desire for fig newtons quite well, the cookies are much bigger than your regular fig newton but they are just as tasty if not more so in my opinion. I LOVE them.

Udi's- Their salted Caramel Cashew cookies are so moist and tasty. I really love the chewy cookies they make and though I can't try their maple one, I still recommend giving it a try people cause I'm sure they are just as good.
Gluten Free Pizza Crust Brands
Pizza crust:

Against the grain - This is the best by far of gluten free pizza crusts. They have a three cheese one that I just absolutely love and they even make some premade pizza's that are to die for. My boyfriend even loves them.

Udi's - While their pizza crusts are some of the cheapest, there's a reason for that. They aren't that great. Honestly I don't like them nearly enough to keep buying them. They are decent if you just want a quick fix but they don't crisp up well and the flavor is not that great. They also make premade pizza's you can get in the store and again, same crust so not that great, but good for a quick fix.

Fruchetta - While this is a premade pizza not just the crust, I am just going to put this here too. Their gluten free pizza is pretty good, not really worth ten bucks in my opinion but it's not bad. The crust comes out crispy and while I wish they put more pepperoni on their pizza, getting a gluten free pepperoni you can add to it isn't a bad idea either.

Bob's Redmill - Their crust isn't bad, reminds me of those home made ones my mom used to do as it came out a lot thicker and more doughy then crispy like the other companies. It was pretty nostalgic to me to be honest.
Gluten Free Cracker brands
Crackers:

Glutino - They make a decent soda cracker for soups and chili, they also make an ok bagel chip but I'm not as fond of the bagel chips as I am the crackers. I usually eat them with a roasted tomato and pepper soup or I put it in my chili :D But either way the crackers they make are a decent enough one to add to your diet.
Gluten free snack chips
Snack chips:

Utz - While not everything Utz makes is gluten free, they have the biggest by far for potato chips that are gluten free and all the flavors I have tried of them are really good.

Beanitos - Tried the nacho cheese white bean chip of this brand, while they were a tad dry and I wished they had more nacho flavor, I think they are decent enough and would be really good with a gluten free queso dip.

Pop Corners - All their flavors are gluten free and while I don't like the sweet chili one, I love the buttered, kettle, jalapeno cheddar, white cheddar and caramel ones.
Gluten Free Premade cakes and cake mixes
Premade cakes and mixes:

Gillian's Kitchen - These you find in the frozen isle and I must say the best part of this cake is the frosting. The cake itself is incredibly dry and just not worth the money.

My Grandpa's Farm - Gluten free carrot cake mix was awesome. Very moist and delicious, my boyfriend made this for me on my birthday and it really came out fantastic. It's sold on Amazon though you might find it in stores too, not sure.
Gluten Free soups and noodle bowls
Soups and Soup noodle bowls:

Asian Meals - Malaysian Garlic Sesame Noodle soup bowl: This was pretty good, just make sure you follow the directions and not over cook it, I did by accident and not fond of mushy noodles lol.

Campbell's- They created a gluten free tomato and basil soup that is absolutely to die for. I had it with grilled cheese and even my boyfriend loved it!

Progresso - they have a big selection of gluten free soups including cream of Mushroom soup.

Gluten free sauces and marinades
Sauces

La Choy - They have a HUGE selection of gluten free asian sauces, I have tried their Teriyaki sauce as well as their sweet and sour sauce, both gluten free and both have been absolutely fantastic, even my boyfriend loves them.

Essential Everyday - They make a garlic and herb marinade and a lemon pepper marinade that are both gluten free and I've had no problem with it what so ever, use them on a lot of meats and they taste so good. Update: So they made a steakhouse marinade and a caribbean jerk that has no gluten containing eliments and I tried the steakhouse, pretty good. I have bought the caribbean jerk but I haven't tried it yet, so I'll update and let you know about that one too.

Livin in MD now.

Oniya

Although I am not gluten-free by any means, I'm glad to see this thread.  Occasionally, I have to look for recipes for people who are.  :-)

One point of note on the Barilla:  I have found that even on their regular pasta, they over-estimate the cooking time enormously.  My go-to method is to cook it for half the time listed on the box, and adjust from there.  I usually don't have to adjust very much.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

fireflights

Glad to hear it, I plan to post recipes here soon, I just have to compile them and put them on here for people. :D

This one I will put all recipes into. Just placing it here to consolidate posts.
Bolognase Sauce

Bolognase sauce

1 pd hamburger
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup chopped onion
oil
salt to taste
1 can 12 oz diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano in it
Gluten free pasta cooked to package instructions

In a large skillet, place small amount of oil into it on high heat, add garlic and onion and cook until it is caramelized a bit. Add hamburger, and cook through. Drain fat, add tomatoes and stir, add salt to your taste then simmer for ten minutes. Add cooked pasta and toss, serve hot.
Chicken and four cheese enchiladas
Chicken and four cheese enchiladas

12-16 corn tortillas (I used Mission)
1 pckg 8oz cream softened
1 cup medium salsa
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup each monterey jack cheese, mozzarella and cheddar
1 large can enchilada sauce
1 pd chicken breast cooked and diced into small pieces

in a large bowl, combine cream cheese and salsa. Add in the cumin and shredded cheeses, stir together, add in the chicken. On a long skillet warm corn tortillas for a few seconds on each side. Place some enchilada sauce on the bottom of the cake pan. Spoon two large spoonfuls into the center of the corn tortilla, roll and line the bottom of the pan until full. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and some cheese. Bake for 30-45 mins in oven 350 degrees.
Berry Stuffed French Toast
Berry stuffed french toast

Note: I have yet to find a proper bread for this but once I do, I will note it here.

1 cup berries pureed in blender with 1/3 cup of sugar
2 8oz cream cheese
Gluten free bread cut into thick slices, pocketed reserving the remaining bread
2 eggs
1 cup milk
cinnamon and sugar

Mix berries and cream cheese, taste to make sure it's sweet enough and add sugar as needed. pour into bread pockets, sealing with the remaining bread. Mix eggs, milk and cinnamon and sugar into a bowl, mix well and dip bread into mixture. Fry on all sides until cooked, through and golden brown. Serve with syrup.
Basil Chicken and Pasta
Basil Chicken and Pasta

1 12 oz package gluten free rotini (I used heartland)
2 tbsp butter
1 pd boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp dried basil
1 cup heavy cream (I actually used whole milk with some corn starch to thicken because i didn't have heavy cream and it worked fine)
1/4 c grated parmesan

In a large pot with boiling salted water cook rotini pasta until al dente. Drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt the butter or margarine. Add the chopped chicken and garlic, saute until lightly brown and juices run clear. Stir in the ground black pepper, dried basil, heavy cream, and grated Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Toss drained pasta with basil sauce and serve immediately.
Gluten Free Parmesan Poppers

Ingredients:
3 large eggs 1 cup + 3 Tablespoons whole milk, heated, but not boiled
3/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese (or Kraft shaker)
1 pinch of salt
2 pinches of ground white or black pepper
1 Tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon chopped basil leaves 6 dashes of your favorite dry herbs (thyme, oregano, etc.)
3/4 cup Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend Recipe using cornstarch

Place a 24-cup mini muffin pan on top of a baking sheet and place in the oven on the center rack. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Add the eggs to a blender or food processor and mix on high until they are foamy and light yellow in color. Slowly pour in warm milk while still in the mixing mode. Stop the mixing and add all of the remaining ingredients, in the order they are listed. If you have not yet sifted the flour, sift it directly into the blender/food processor. Mix until the batter is smooth. Remove muffin tin from the oven and liberally oil each tin with gluten free olive oil spray. Pour batter to the top of each cup and bake for 10 minutes. Decrease heat to 350ºF and continue to bake for approximately 25 minutes for crisp crust and 20 minutes for average.
Quick Multigrain bread
Ingredients:
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) brown rice flour
1/4 cup (1 1/4 ounces) sorghum flour
1/2 cup (2 ounces) almond meal
3/4 cup (2 3/4 ounces) tapioca starch
2 tablespoons flax meal
1/4 teaspoon anise seeds
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 large egg
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup plain European-style yogurt (not the extra thick Greek variety)*
1/2 cup water

1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

3. Beat the egg lightly in a separate bowl, add the canola oil, yogurt, and water, and mix well. Pour over the flour mixture, and mix quickly with a silicone spatula to form a fluffy-looking, sticky batter.

4. Scoop the batter out with the spatula, form two equal mounds on the baking sheet, 5 inches apart. Dip the spatula in water and gently mold each heap into a shallow half dome. (The small amount of moisture helps to make a smooth crust.)

5. Cut a1/4-inch deep cross on each loaf from side to side, which helps the bread to rise evenly. Bake until golden brown and crusty. Transfer the loaves to a wire rack and let cool.

Cook’s Tip:  Store any extras in the freezer, not the refrigerator, to maintain a good texture, and reheat.
Easy Smoked Sausage skillet, thanks to CrownedSun
Note: please make sure everything you buy ingredient wise states gluten free or shows no gluten containing ingredients.
1 (14 ounce) package Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage, diagonally cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large red bell pepper, sliced thin
1 small yellow onion, sliced thin
1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups instant rice
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Heat olive oil and crushed garlic, stir in smoked sausage slices and cook until smoked sausage is browned.

2. Add pepper, onion, broccoli, chicken broth and tomato sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes until vegetables are tender and the liquid is absorbed.

3. In the meantime, cook rice according to package instructions. Stir rice into the skillet, sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Beef and Bacon meatballs
2 cups dry red wine
1 cup ruby port
4 shallots, sliced
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs thyme
10 black peppercorns
2 slices bacon
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Kosher salt
6 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 onion, roughly chopped
1 1/2 pounds ground beef sirloin
1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil Chopped fresh chives, for topping

1. Make the sauce: Combine the red wine, port, shallots, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns and bacon in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium and cook until reduced by one-third, about 30 minutes. Add the chicken broth and continue cooking until reduced by half, about 40 more minutes (you should have about 2 cups liquid). Strain into a clean saucepan.

2. Mix the butter and flour in a bowl to form a paste. Whisk the paste into the sauce and simmer over medium heat, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream and season with salt. Set aside.

3. Meanwhile, make the meatballs: Pulse the bacon and onion in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and add the beef, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; mix until just combined. Dampen your hands and form into about 48 meatballs, 1 inch each.

4. Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add the meatballs to the skillet and cook, turning, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.

5. Wipe out the skillet, add the sauce and the meatballs, and cook over medium heat until the sauce is simmering and the meatballs are heated through, about 2 minutes. (Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water if the sauce is too thick.) Top with chives.
Avacado and Siracha Deviled Eggs
1 dozen large hard-boiled eggs, peeled
2 medium ripe avocados
1/4 cup homemade or olive-oil-based mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon smoked sea salt (divided)
1 tablespoon sriracha, plus extra for garnish
cilantro leaves, for garnish
Chipotle Pork Meatballs
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 scallions, finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups finely crushed Gluten free gingersnaps (about 20 cookies)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 14 -ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce

1. Mix the pork, sausage, egg, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and about three-quarters of the crushed gingersnaps in a large bowl with a spoon or your hands until combined; refrigerate 1 hour. Dampen your hands and form the mixture into about 20 meatballs, 3/4 inch each.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Add the olive oil to a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven and swirl to coat. Add the meatballs in a single layer and top with the onion, garlic and poblano. Sprinkle with the chili powder. Bake until the meatballs are firm and the vegetables start softening, about 8 minutes.

3. Add the tomatoes to the skillet along with the Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, the remaining gingersnaps, the chicken broth, hot sauce and 1 cup water. Stir gently, carefully loosening the meatballs from the pan and mixing them into the sauce. Return to the oven and bake until the meatballs are tender and the sauce thickens, about 40 more minutes.
Bacon Potato Cheddar Tart
Ingredients

2 pounds (1 kg) of room-temperature bacon
Lots of freshly ground pepper
4 cups (1L) of shredded aged cheddar
5 or 6 large baking potatoes (unpeeled)
A sprinkle or two of sea salt and freshly grated pepper
1 onion, minced
4 cloves of garlic, minced

Preheat your oven to 350 °F (180 °C).

Carefully arrange the bacon in a radial pattern from the center of the bottom of a 10- or 12-inch (25 or 30 cm) round non-stick baking pan; arrange the bacon so that it fits along the bottom of the pan, continuing up and over the sides. Let the ends hang over. The slices should overlap slightly around the sides of the pan. To reduce the thickness of the bacon in the center, stagger every other piece, starting it 2 inches (5 cm) from the center and extending it further than the adjacent slices.

With the palm of your hand, flatten the center area, leaving no gaps in the bacon. Season the bacon with lots of pepper and then sprinkle on several spoonfuls of the shredded cheddar.

Slice the potatoes as thinly and uniformly as you can, about 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick. Arrange a circular pattern of overlapping slices around the inside bottom edge of the pan. Continue arranging overlapping layers of the potatoes until the bottom is evenly covered. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.

Mix together the onion and garlic and sprinkle some of the mixture onto the potatoes. Continue with a layer of the shredded cheese. Cover with another layer of the potato, pressing it down firmly before continuing with alternate layers of the potatoes, onion mixture and cheese, insetting each a bit from the edge of the pan until the top is 1 inch (2.5 cm) or so higher than the pan’s rim. Fold the overhanging bacon neatly up and over the top of the potatoes.

Trim a small piece of parchment paper and place it in between an ovenproof lid and the bacon. This will prevent the bacons ends from pulling back and shrinking during cooking.

Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours. You’ll know it’s done when a small, thin bladed knife inserts easily.

Pour off as much of the fat around the edges as possible. Let the tart stand for 15 minutes and then invert it onto a cutting surface. Slice into wedges and serve immediately.

Gluten free mozzarella sticks
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 c gluten free flour of choice - I used Bob's Redmill all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup seasoned 4c breadcrubs with asiago cheese
1 package string cheese (mozzarella) cut in half and removed from packaging.

In a bowl, combine eggs and milk, whisk together until combined, set aside.
In a second bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper, mix well and set aside.
In a third bowl place breadcrumbs.
Take a cheese stick, dip in egg, roll in flour, dip in egg again, roll in breadcrumbs. Place on place, repeat until all are covered this way, place in freezer until ready to cook. In oven, cook at 350 (spraying with a little oil to ensure crispness) for 8 - 10 mins, turning halfway through.
In airfryer, (again spray with a little oil to ensure crispness) cook for 8 mins or less, at 350 do not cook any higher or longer and shake basket halfway through.

Livin in MD now.

Kuroneko

I have celiac disease and I  would say that given all you related here about your health before and after removing gluten from your diet, anecdotally there's no reason to put yourself through a test to verify you have the condition. You're clearly better off not eating gluten so there's no reason to eat it ever again.

Most of the brands you list here I can't eat because I'm also allergic to soy, casein and eggs (in addition to level one allergies to about 20 other foods). It's very challenging to read labels as many of these things hide under other names, as does gluten. My favorite brand of pasta is Tinkyadia and bread is Food for Life brown rice bread, though I do occasionally make Pamela's bread mix, which is also wonderful.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

fireflights

Well then I welcome you to list any you can use to include them for those with gluten and soy/egg issues, or pm me and I'll add them to my list so others can try them to :D

Livin in MD now.

AmberStarfire

I've figured out I'm lactose intolerant (which has brought on horrible symptoms akin to food poisoning) and I tried going gluten-free for a short time because I'm not sure if that might be a food intolerance as well. I found this really hard to do, especially living in a country that doesn't offer many gluten-free carbohydrate-based foods. It's around $4 for a tiny loaf of gluten-free bread here. I noticed the last loaf had blue mould on the bottom of it 3 days before its used by date. I'd had a sore stomach for 2 days after eating it so it may have been the reason. It marked the end of my attempts at gluten-free, at least for now. I'm thinking of getting allergy tested for various foods, but the only thing putting me off is the cost.

My go to foods for a little while there were chicken salads and soups (some aren't gluten free but some bought ones are, or you could make your own), stir fries and things like that. Those are generally healthier meals than what I have a lot of the time.

fireflights

Depending on the breads, they can for sure be expensive but some are more comparable then others. What I would recommend is, try getting the bread mixes, five bucks and you make a loaf that is more comperable to what you're looking for. Gluten free is not cheap sadly because of the whole fad of people thinking it's some new trendy diet thing when for those of us know, it's not about trend but living healthy. I have used the glutino bread mix and it made a very tasty bread with the bread pans and they were the same size as regular sandwich, just a thought for you there Amber. Also, stay away from things made with Almond flour as they are the more costly ones. Yes the gluten free bread loaves aren't as large as the others, but as for prices, for pasta the heartland I've been getting is usually only 2.00 max for the package so if you shop around you can find good deals that help you lower costs. Also a lot of things can be gotten online for cheaper, the heartland my boyfriend and I bought them on Amazon and for 6 packages of each kind, we spent a total of 36 dollars for 12 total packages which was a pretty good deal when it came to gluten free foods and that price includes the shipping costs.

Honestly, as the market for gluten free foods grows, the prices will go down, but until it grows the prices will remain. I don't eat a lot of carbs anyway, but pasta's and such are the best way I have gotten my carbs.

Livin in MD now.

fireflights

I have updated the list of brands I have tried and the items, as well as added some recipes, I do ask anyone wishing to post more information be my guest I want this to be a resource guide. When I first started out I was scrambling to figure out things and I never realized how hard it can be to find things when you need them to be gluten free. Also I will be putting up a list soon of gluten free body washes and stuff, because I just found out recently that those can even have gluten in them, I don't use makeup so if anyone does and knows gluten free ones, feel free to let me know.

Livin in MD now.

Ryven

It's been speculated for those having digestive trouble when eating gluten but do not have celiac's may actually be responding to something other than the gluten itself whether it be pesticides used when growing the wheat to something used during the manufacturing and processing of the wheat or product being made.  There may be safe gluten products for you, but without knowing exactly what it is you're sensitive to, I wouldn't risk a lot of trial and error to find it.

fireflights

With me Ryven, I am more than positive given my history of stomach and autoimmune issues that mine is actually Celiac's I just haven't had the full testing done. But you are right, there are many possibilities out there for those who are not Celiac's that causes their sensitivity to gluten.

Livin in MD now.

fireflights

Updated my list with some new products, will be adding another one soon as we just got a new pasta set and about to try a new flour that might be as good as Pamela's I don't know. Honestly I made a second batch of cookies just today with Pamela's flour and they were beyond fantastic so adding in oats the first time was a bad idea because it dried them out too much. So don't add oats unless you add more moisture, but these new ones without oats were the bomb! Anyways, just letting you know :D

Livin in MD now.

fireflights

I'm going to start listing restaurants with gluten free entree's that I've tried and even let you know which ones are safe and which aren't. Currently most of these will be in MD, some in PA where I used to live and even ones in Illinois I had a pleasure of trying before leaving there.

Pizzeria's

Pat's Pizza (Baltimore MD) - They have a great gluten free crust that is by far one of the best I have ever tried and they will literally make any of their pizza's gluten free. Just make sure you specify no meatballs because even though I had ordered it without the meatballs they included it.

Brick Oven Pizzeria (Baltimore MD) - This is THE best gluten free pizza I have EVER tried. I tried it on my first visit here and I LOVED it so much I constantly want it.

Season's Pizza (Baltimore MD) - Good pizza, wish it had more of a crisp to the crust but the crust itself is good even if they cook it in it's  own pan to ensure no possible contamination which I like. The flavor is good.

Fiamme (Naperville Illinois) - Awesome pizza, they even have gluten free bread for the appetizer which is absolutely delicious. I loved this place and would go again if i lived there anymore.

Lou malnatis (Naperville Illinois) - They have a deep dish gluten free pizza crust that isn't bad at all, nice and crispy. But their sauce is just literally crushed tomatoes, No flavoring at all. Their sausage was good though. So all in all, not terrible, just wish they would add flavor to that sauce, then they would be incredible.

Restaurants

Egg Harbor Cafe (Naperville Illinois) - They had a decent gluten free menu and I tried their breakfast there with the cinnamon roll, it was pretty good.

Eggsperience (Naperville Illinois) - OMG what more can I say about this place then absolutely FANTASTIC! Okay, so they have this amazing gluten free banana bread breakfast that is to die for, I mean seriously if you live in this area or visit it you HAVE to visit them!

Livin in MD now.

fireflights

So....no matter how I try to make sure I don't get glutinized as I call it, it seems when I don't do the cooking myself I have no choice but to run into issues. I tried so hard going to the Hibachi grill to choose only items that could not possibly contain gluten and even took my own gluten free soy sauce. But sadly I obviously got cross contaminated which I knew was a risk going into this, only thing I forgot to do was take my charcoal pills with me, the walk home which was only a few blocks was the most miserable I have been in a LONG time.

Livin in MD now.

Oniya

That's one of the Japanese 'table grill and performance' places, right?  They tend to not fully scrub those between 'shows', which is likely where the cross-contamination came from (a little burnt-on soy sauce, maybe the end of a noodle somewhere...).  I remember going to a Mongolian Grill in several cities (similar cooking style) - once with a group of about 50 people, and if they knew someone had a food allergy, they would do a full clean of the grill surface immediately prior to cooking that person's food to keep that from happening. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

fireflights

No, it's got a grill in there but it's a buffet place :( Sadly I had the feeling it could happen but was hoping if I was careful enough, it wouldn't but with places like that....there is no careful enough. I'd even watched the guy clean the grill before he made my food but he didn't change his tools which could likely be where it came from :(... It wasn't my choice to go there, my boyfriends dad took us there to eat. So I can't complain or I'll feel like I'm being ungrateful :P

Livin in MD now.

fireflights

OMG so I just heard the best news....Chick Fil-A is releasing a gluten free bun soon! Yes there's a chance of cross contamination but hell, best news ever!

Livin in MD now.

fireflights

So, the Redners by me has finally started to carry more items I can have, they got this new pasta in and I tried the spaghetti one, it's pretty good. I believe it's called Organic Nature pasta, I'll check the name and get back to you, but it's made from Corn and Rice in a non gluten containing factory so there's no chance of contamination.

Livin in MD now.

fireflights

It's actually wild harvest, that's the name of the pasta. Once I perfect this pie recipe I found and figure out the right cooking time when making pies and such on it, I'll start posting pie recipes here people :D  Also working on adding more recipes, sorry I've been so lax on this. Just lots going on :(

Livin in MD now.

CrownedSun

*goes ahead and replies to this thread, since this is of greater than personal interest to me seeing as how I can never ever eat gluten ever-again*

:)

I had a very good gluten-free experience the other day, having a dish that was just absolutely delicious, which I need to find the recipe for and post here or something. It was SOOO GOOD. Might be one of my new most favoritest recipes in terms of how awesome it was. ♥

fireflights

I still haven't posted all my recipe's on here, maybe if you describe it for me, I can see if I have the recipe and post it? I admit I'm being a little lazy right now in posting all my recipe's I'm using.

Livin in MD now.

CrownedSun

It was sausage,-- well, I think keilbasa,- with a kind of wild rice? Mixed in with vegetables: red peppers, onions, broccoli? With some kind of orange-seeming-sauce?

It was just sooooo goooood. ♥

Yummy.

fireflights

Actually that is one I do not know, so by all means I would love to find out about it if you ever find the recipe out!

Livin in MD now.

Oniya

About the only thing in that list that would need to be specifically investigated would be the orange-sauce, I'd think.  Both white and wild rice in their pure forms (not mixed with any seasonings or sauces, and processed in clean facilities) are gluten free.  Veggies - heap them on.  Kielbasa is meat all the way through (avoid kishka, as that contains barley or other grains.)

fireflights

Same with Brown rice, I am not allowed to have white rice because it has no fiber, but I eat brown rice all the time, now if the orange sauce is like an asian orange sauce, I do have a recipe for that for orange chicken, I'd be happy to put that up.

Livin in MD now.