Mafia-esque Shakespeare (in the theme of the Werewolves of Miller's Hollow)

Started by Kip, August 25, 2009, 02:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kip

Concept

First of all, let me apologise to all the purists.  I'm going to massacre Romeo and Juliet for my own purposes.  With that disclaimer done, here we go!

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life,
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Doth with their death bury their parents̓ strife.
The fearful passage of their death-marked love
And the continuance of their parents̓ rage,
Which but their children̓s end, naught could remove,
Is now the two-hours̓traffic of our stage;
The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.

Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare

It is in this setting of discord and feuding that we base our adventure.  The families Capulet and Montague battle to eliminate each other while the star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet and their love for each other struggle to survive.

Gameplay

This will be a trial run of a game similar to Mafia/Werewolves of Miller's Hollow.  The rules will be skewed to fit this setting as well as to alter the gameplay from what those games normally provide.

I would like to trial this with 8 people.  It will be a quick game as the teams will be small and the tussles will be three way.

Players will be split into two groups.  They will either be a part of the Montague family or of the Capulet family.  Each family will have a Fortune Teller who will perform a similar function as the Seer.  Here is where the game diverges strongly.  Noone will start off with knowledge of the roles or famalial affiliations of anyone else with one particular exception - one person from each family will be randomly selected as one of the star-crossed lovers - Romeo and Juliet.

Winning the game depends on which role you get.

If you are part of the Capulet family, all of the Montagues must die.
If you are part of the Montague family, all of the Capulets must die.
If you are one of the star-crossed lovers, you must survive along with your love to win.  You may be able to survive the death of your love but you will never forgive your family... tragedy will overcome you at the end.

All the Fortune Tellers will be able to discover is whether the person they dream about is part of the Montague or Capulet family.  They will need to forge alliances with their own family while undermining the other.  Should they attempt to divine the identity of either Romeo and Juliet, they will only discover their family connections - not their individual identity.

Differences between this game and Miller's Hollow/Mafia

This idea differs from vanilla Werewolves/Mafia on a few major fronts that impact gameplay.

1)  Three way gameplay - three distinct groups vying to win.
2)  Unlike the Werewolves in the Miller's Hollow Variant or the Mafia, members of families start off alone.
3)  All actions (assassinations and fortune telling) will take place at the same time - at night. 
4)  Assassinations are by majority voting, similar to lynching but they are the only way to remove players from the game.  No werewolves or mafia attacking at night.

I think it'll be fun but it is only a trial game for balancing.  Please let me know if you'd be interested.

Interested Parties (8 Parties)
Bradten
CircMaster
Izu
Ladysky
Marguerite
Ryven
Saku
Trieste

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

GrinningHound

Saku

I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Ryven

Izu

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

LadySky

I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

CirclMastr

'Tis not so deep as a well, nor wide as a church door, but 'tis enough.
Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Kip

I've updated the original post with the names of those who have expressed interest - so far we've got Six.

For the test run I'd like 8... so 2 more people.

Please have a look through all the information I've provided and PM me with any questions.

Kip

~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Insight

"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

Caeli

Ooh... this sounds interesting. :-) If I had more time to join, I might, but...

I'll definitely follow and read. I'd be happy to make small graphics for you, like I do for Val's threads. ^_^
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Kip

Alright I have my Eight!

I'm just sending out some confirmation PMs and then I'll post a link to the OOC and IC threads here followed shortly by role PMs.

~Jay Brannan~

~Mohinder Suresh~

Izu

Yay ^^ Can't wait~ I wonder if my nerves will survive to this game x'D
*crawls to the textbooks and starts studying*

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Kip

Quick change of the Interest list to cover expressed interest and remove uncertainty.

The game is now starting.

OOC Thread
IC Thread - Shakespearean Mafia Act One

~Jay Brannan~

~Mohinder Suresh~