The World is Not Beautiful [Modern, Light-H - More Players Wanted]

Started by Enmuro, August 17, 2009, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enmuro

The Crumbling Town

Six O'clock

That is the time on every clock and watch in the modern town of Bellshore. Not abnormal by itself, except that's its nine o'clock on a cool summers night.

The current trouble started six days ago, at midnight, when an angel appeared above the cities downtown district. Club goers and tired workers all looked up at the sky and heard the angels words crash over the shining night scape.

"This city must be annihilated 12 days hence to cleanse its Burden. All those with unburdened souls will be able to leave unhindered and escape destruction." Then the angel was gone, and no one knew what to think. The clocks all froze at midnight and word spread quickly through television and internet. At midnight the next day, the clocks shifted to one. What started as uncertainty about the truth in the angels words gave way to fear. In the days following the streets flooded with people leaving the city limits. Of them, a few persons found themselves unable to pass the liminality between the doomed city and freedom. This disparate group shares only one quality - They are burdened by something they could not overcome on their own. For some, that is personal tragedy, for others their burden can be more mundane. These trapped souls have begun to gather around each other, each hoping to overcome their burden and escape. 

::Character Template::
Name:
Character Description:
Burden (along with history): (eg: couldn't get over the loss of a loved one, holds a deep regret)
Description of their Home or Apartment in the City: (this can say something about your character)
Why you might help someone else with their Burden: (eg: hoping for reciprocity, altruistic)

Next Step
I'll make a char if this sounds interesting to people. Even though its a little dark and serious I wouldn't mind having some bit of lighthearted fun mixed in as well

:Misc:
Something I think we can all agree on is that folks here at Elliquiy have a great sense of aesthetic when it comes to beauty. So, what happens when a plot revolves around the absence of beauty; How can we use our characters to create beauty in a scenario devoid of anything except soul crushing despair ? This plot, heavily inspired by the Kino No Tabi series and The Little Prince, is intended to be short and focus on those questions.

Chat Noir

If you've been missing me please see my thread here.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones...
...but whips and chains excite me."

Ons and Offs
My Roleplays:
Dirty Little Secret|Mystery Men - Unsung Superheroes

Enmuro

Glad to hear it, I thought the concept was sorta neat. Interested in making a character? As you can see there are one or two openings left hehe.

Enmuro

Name: Denver 'Den' Welthier
Character Description:
Blue eyes, pale scored skin that always looks like he just came in from the rain, athletic build
Running Outfit: Black mesh shorts and a navy blue shirt that has '181' in red letters on the front.
Work outfit: black suit and striped red tie.

Burden (along with history):

Den has never left the city limits in his life. When asked why, Denver always says that he will leave when he is 'done seeing everything the city has to offer.' Coworkers use his nickname Den because they assume he hangs around his apartment alone when he's not at work. In fact he prefers to spend his free time running through the city. Threading the cities ever changing streets induces a sense of oneness with the city. This runners high is close to an addiction with him.

Over time, two or three other runners began to join him on his routes. These group meets were never planned, and no one ever talked during the runs. Den might turn a corner midway through his run and bump into one of the others. From then on they'd join up for the remainder of their runs. Even though they remained strangers, Den held a high regard for other anonymous runners.

His burden stems from the two lives he leads. One is a cog in a corporate world, the other a quiet observer of the city. Only one life can leave the city. If he doesn't choose, then he will face the same fate as the city.

Reason for helping with others' burdens: Before he gives up his burden, he wants a chance to live fully as the self he hid from the people in his life. Discovering and resolving the burdens others have gives him that same euphoria as running.

Home:
His apartment near the edge of the city is sparsely decorated and simplistic. He doesn't spend much time in it besides when hes sleeping. One month, when he was suffering from a sprained ankle, he did spend his free time on his couch. He onled sat there so he could look out onto the streets.

img:http://fashistt.deviantart.com/art/Empty-Room-75044223

Misery

Like the concept, let me know if you have room for more.
“There is no greater sorrow than to be mindful of the happy time in misery.”  - Dante Alighieri

Enmuro

So far its just me so I think I can find a spot for you :) go ahead and make a character. I'm looking forward to what people come up with.

Misery

Sounds good. I will try to have a character put together tomorrow.
“There is no greater sorrow than to be mindful of the happy time in misery.”  - Dante Alighieri

Misery

Name:  Ceric Gallagher

Character Description: Long scraggily hair, dark brown eyes, constant look of menace in them.  Wears what appears to be the same leather jacket everywhere he goes, basic jeans and T-shirt. He wears sunglasses 24 / 7.

Burden (along with history): (eg: couldn't get over the loss of a loved one, holds a deep regret)
The city has been rough to Ceric.  He hates the city but afraid to leave her comforts.  Very cynical, never having an easy time in the city, his dark eyes seem to always intimidate anyone that gets to close.  Wearing sunglasses helps but people always start questioning him at night. 
In the end he simply hates everything that the city has to offer and the people in it.  At one time he was very friendly sort of person, but the city has stripped him of any compassion for her or his fellow men.  He motto is “they all can go to hell” 
Works nights at a gas station where he doesn’t have to deal with many people nor necessarily be all to kind.  He hates the job but at least he can eat.

Description of their Home or Apartment in the City: (this can say something about your character)
Ceric’s apartment is a hole in the wall.  This is the kind of place that has two rooms.  Kitchen, Living Room and bedroom all in one, with a small bathroom for privacy.  The bed lies on the floor with no sheets.  The bed is used part time for a couch for what little it matters.

Why you might help someone else with their Burden: (eg: hoping for reciprocity, altruistic)
As the city turns to chaos and those left are left to their own devices his compassion for others and his city very slowly returns but only slowly does he realize he wants to help others.  In turn, helping himself.

Enmuro

great char, perfect level of gritty realism for this setting. I modified denvers reason for helping others with their burden.
Just waiting on one or two more people before we can get going.