A freeform story game of intrigue, war, and romance. :D

Started by GrinningHound, August 09, 2009, 02:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningHound

Okay, I will try to express my idea as best I can.

This is going to be a challenging game as far as writing and RP ability.  :D

I want to write a story together.  Everyone will have their own characters, but also will have narrative power beyond that.  We will all try to craft an overall narrative that is fun and exciting for everyone.

To make it sort of a writing and an RP challenge, as well as to make things more interesting and tense and suspenseful and exciting,  characters are going to die.  Power will shift in the world as great warriors and important princes and powerful merchants are killed and replaced, as allegiances shift in the setting.

Anyone may do anything they want, within their character's power and reason (like a merchant could summon all his associates for a meeting and get them to agree to something in one post, just by saying he does it).

People should plan ways to use eachother toward their goals, or ally, or go to war with people, or assassinate them, or marry them (for love or power) etc etc.  The setting is very rocky socially and politically, and our characters are power players, good, evil, whatever. 

The exact setting is to be discussed.

Taking character and setting ideas!  This is in the discussion and interest phase.  :D

TheVillain

Sounds like a high-fantasy setting from your write-up, let me know if I'm wrong.

Anyway, my initial idea for a character would be a chivalrous paladin of a war goddess with a secret he's trying to keep under wraps. In one of his last missions he was slaying an evil warlock when he was hit with a death curse as the warlock was dying. The insidious nature of the curse has begun to assert itself as the paladin is slowly turning into the type of demon that disgusts him the most, a demon of lust that preys on innocent young women. On the surface he just wants the greatest good for the greatest number of people, but behind the scenes he is trying to manage the curse and wants to be rid of the curse before he does something he'll truly regret.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

GrinningHound

GreenHavok

This is a very intriguing idea, i'm very interested. As far as setting, i do agree it sounds like a "fantasy" type. Or even a historical fiction, along to lines of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I am all for a fantasy type setting, and i have tons of character ideas, so i could help in fleshing something out.

GrinningHound

Yes, a high fantasy setting, knights, wizards, stuff like that.

You can be any character you want, basically.  They will all have the same power level (it's freeform) but it's all about cunning!

We will have to discuss the setting together.  It'll be just like Romance of the Three Kingdoms or a Song of Ice and Fire.  We just gotta make up some countries.  :D

Umm...or maybe it's just houses?  It'll all take place in one country, involving cities instead of nations?

Treena

I would like to play as well. I could be a mystical being or a fallen angel. I have a character that is immortal but doens't know it and has lost her memory as well.

A/A     Ons/Offs     Cravings
Back and open to some rps.
Treena'sWiki

zestalicious

I would be interested. I haven't thought of a character yet, but I will  ;D
The.

Chaos

Sounds very interesting.

I like the idea of the young and decadent heir of an old and decadent noble house. They've long dabbled in dark arts, and are obscenely rich, but their star has faded... time for the new ruler to pull them back into the limelight as a major power.

Works the ruler of a small country, or a city, either way.

LadySky

I could be interested in this if allowed. I don't know how many ppl your wanting to get going in this but if their is room I could come up with a character and such!
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

GrinningHound

All good!  :D

Treena, even an immortal character can be killed.  Or maybe just defeated.

The only thing I think we have to work out is how to determine if someone can take someone out or not.  We might need a rock paper scissors type of mechanic.  Any ideas?

TheVillain

Perhaps with a bit about how many you have to win to actually achieve victory based on power and planning. Could work.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

GrinningHound

Something like that.

Okay, I'm thinking the game takes place on a smallish continent, like Europe, with many countries and a dramatic political climate.  Things have changed recently, and they will change again.

It doesn't take too long to travel the continent.

Every character is a power player in his or her own country.  The game doesn't necessarily start off with a war brewing.  Things are just tense, like they always are, after a recent conflict that has borders all a tizzy.  :P  You may be trying to claim a gold mine for your country, as it lies on a disputed border, something like that.

Eventually, something big will happen that will set off a new conflict.  I will introduce what this is.

You may make up what nations you want to belong to, and what your position is.  Military figure?  Nobility?  Heir?  Councilor?  Powerful merchant?  High priest?  Maybe you're just a peasant soldier right now who will stumble into something and gain power along the way.

:D  I'm still deciding what I wanna play.  I'm leaning toward DARK WIZARD!  :D

ZK

On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

GrinningHound

I would be delighted to have the legendary ZK in my game!  :D

What would you like to play?

ZK

Legendary ZK? o.O I'm that popular? Or say I have that much prestige?

I love political intrigue, romance and war. It's why I could watch Braveheart a bajillion times.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

GrinningHound

I dunno.  Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that.  :D

Treena

Name: Calisto
Race: Fallen Angel
History: Calisto used to be a guardian angel for a young girl but when something tragic happened to the girl Calisto felt like somehow it was her fault when it wasn't. So she left heaven feeling disgraced but never knew that she still was still able to go to heaven and return to her duties. She has lived most of her earth years in Rome. She appears like a normal human to others and if she ever runs into the girl that used to watch over only she would see Calisto for who she realy is. Calisto can also show others her true form if she chooses to.

Treena'sWiki

GrinningHound

Awesome!

Does she feel any particular allegiance to Rome, or hold any powerful position in it?

She doesn't have to, there are other ways to work her into the story.  :D

Oh, and a note for everyone, this isn't ACTUAL Europe.  It's just a small continent with a ton of unstable countries, LIKE Europe.  Treena's Rome isn't Earth Rome, but it's still a country called Rome.  :D

Treena

She holds no postion atm she just lives there. She has been asked to lead the army from time to time though.

Treena'sWiki

ZK

So it being high fantasy with just humans or other species too?

GrinningHound

Humans consist of most of the continent's populace, but there are other civilized races, and there are monsters and magical creatures and stuff.

You may play WHATEVER YOU WANT!  :D

ZK

Combicon

Combi is interested!
I have a very vague idea fer a character, but I'll develop her more. :]

Combicon

Name: Lyiana Dunelock
Race: Half-elf
History: Lyiana had been abandoned outside a hospital - she was told that the woman running from the basket looked elven; and she had always assumed that her mother had been ashamed of having a baby that wasn't full elf. She was taken to an orphanage when she was old enough (she was dropped off newborn; the staff were quite amazed that she survived), but despite that, had a tendency to hang out around the hospital; liking to explore. For most of her childhood and throughout puberty she normally would sneak out at night, exploring the city from a different angle; enjoying the sights and smells that the city offered. It didn't take long for her to find hidden treasures during excursions - a wallet left on a train, or a bag left and forgotten; selling objects of value to others (gold and jewelry for example) and keeping the objects she desired.
When she was old enough to leave the adoption house (she wasn't ever adopted - for reasons she neither knew, nor cared about at the time), she took her objects and found a place to stay that she had discovered on one of her voyages out when she was younger; continuing her life of stealing discarded/left behind objects, and selling them on.

LadySky

I usually make my character bios much more involved but I decided this time that just a peek into her was enough. Learning about who she is and what she is like will come in the process of the RP.

Name: Princess Rayna Vladisava Vesiliev
Race: Human/Mage
History: The royal Princess of Moldova and being prepared to be married off in a political alliance with a rival country.

I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.