Ravenloft: The Realm of Dread (NC-Exotic DnD 3.0/ 3.5 Game)

Started by Idej, August 05, 2009, 01:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transgirlenstein

...I for one like and approve this idea!

I'm thinking a female human barbarian from the Amazon tribe of Ancient Greece
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Idej

Quote from: kongming on August 06, 2009, 09:47:11 PM
I'm leaning towards the idea of a Human Cleric 5/Elemental Archon 3 of Kossuth.
EA is from Faiths and Pantheons, and Kossuth is a FR god (Fire, Renewal, Suffering and... some other domain as well). I'd like to take a small handful of feats and spells and a weapon from It's Hot Outside Sandstorm to make her sort of desert-wanderer themed.

The Elemental Archon gains a triad of Mephit followers (a harem of Small-sized elemental cute girls), but seeing as a few Caster Levels (the most valuable resource in the world) are lost over the course of the class, I was wondering if the Mephits could be toughened up so that they're relevant - giving them hit dice equal to my own character level (so that a single spell doesn't make them all explode on the spot, and they can actually hit enemies) and possibly adding another appropriate Spell-like Ability each (Fire: Parboil or Fireball, Steam: Acid Fog (replaced with Fire damage), Glass/Magma: Incendiary Slime)?

And to add another little cutie to the coterie, I'd also like to take Leadership to add a six-HD Sulphur Mephit as a Cohort. One priestess, and four naked female elemental groupies.

Do these sound okay?

I shall allow the extra spell-like abilities, but I can not allow the extra hit-die.  Note that you can purchase equipment for your Mephits sized for their stature which can also raise their AC and increase their attack strength.  This might make your money pool quite thin so I need to come up with something that will help you with that, but not making you overly powerful.  I also approve the Mephit cohort for you as well once you take the Leadership feat.

GreenHavok

I was trying to count how many had already expressed interest, but i am definately interested. I am thinking either a charismatic sorcerer or a paladin, something along those lines. If there is still room, i'll flesh out more of a character concept. But i'm excited :)

GreenHavok

Idej

Quote from: Queentrippingserpent on August 07, 2009, 08:42:39 AM
...I for one like and approve this idea!

I'm thinking a female human barbarian from the Amazon tribe of Ancient Greece

Anything is a go.  You can be from any world.  Eberron, Abeir-Toril (Faerun, Kara-Tur, Maztica are several continents in the world), Krynn, Greyhawk, even Earth.

Katina Tarask

Which books do you have, so we know what we'd have to provide.  Providing information on the odd feat may be easy, but providing information on, say, a Swordsage with all the maneuvers that entails as well as all the mechanics of how maneuvers work would be rather cumbersome.

kongming

Quote from: Idej on August 07, 2009, 03:33:56 PM
I shall allow the extra spell-like abilities, but I can not allow the extra hit-die.

Thank you!

QuoteThis might make your money pool quite thin so I need to come up with something that will help you with that, but not making you overly powerful.

A possible solution could be to give them NPC wealth for their levels (which cannot then be handed back up to me), which would be 4,300GP each.

As it is, at least I don't have to worry about the typical familiar problem (familiars die, causing XP loss to the owner, then don't come back for a year. These, if they die, just return the next day).

QuoteI also approve the Mephit cohort for you as well once you take the Leadership feat.

Thanks. This is going to be a great team, I think they'll be pretty good at helping the party out with their abilities and general ability to help keep spirits up even when the world is gloomy and trying to kill their souls.

Incidentally, if I spend the 3,000 GP and 500XP to do the ritual, could I summon a Bloodfire Ooze? It's an Ooze that follows you around, has a fire slam attack and a fire burst attack, and Empowers all Fire spells cast within 60' of it (MMIV). I'm not completely sold on the idea, so if you don't like it, I'm fine with that.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

schnookums

Yay, more room! I'll think of an idea for the character...

Idej

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 07, 2009, 06:48:06 PM
Which books do you have, so we know what we'd have to provide.  Providing information on the odd feat may be easy, but providing information on, say, a Swordsage with all the maneuvers that entails as well as all the mechanics of how maneuvers work would be rather cumbersome.

I have a LOT of books.

Here is the list

Arms and Equipments Guide
Book of Erotic Fantasy
Book of Exalted Deeds
Book of Vile Darkness
Cityscape/ Dungeonscape
All of the Completes
Deities and Demigods
Draconomicon
Dragon Magic
Drow of the Underdark
DMG I and II
Elder Evils
Enemies and Allies
Exemplars of Evil
Fiend Folio
Fiendish Codex I and II
Frostburn/ Sandstorm/ Stormwrack
Ghostwalk
Heroes of Battle and Horror
Libris Mortis
Living Greyhawk Gazetteer
Lords of Madness
Magic Item Compendium
Magic of Incarnum
Miniatures Handbook
Monster Manual I, II, III, IV, and V
Oriental Adventures
Planar Handbook
Player's Handbook I and II
All of the Races
Rules Compendium
Savage Species
Spell Compendium
Stronghold Builder's Guide
Tome of Battle and Tome of Magic
Unearthed Arcana
Weapons of Legacy

That is just the basic stuff...

Forgotten Realms Books
Champions of Ruin and Valor
City of Splendors
Faiths and Pantheons
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
Lords of Darkness
Lost Empires of Faerun
Magic of Faerun
Monsters of Faerun
Player's Guide to Faerun
Serpent Kingdoms
Shining South
Silver Marches
Unapproachable East
Underdark

Eberron
Dragonmarked
Dragons of Eberron
Eberron Campaign Setting
Explorer's Handbook
Faiths of Eberron
Five Nations
Magic of Eberron
Player's Guide to Eberron
Races of Eberron
Secrets of Sarlona
Secrets of Xen'drik
Sharn:  City of Towers
The Forge of War

Dragonlance
Age of Mortals
Bestiary of Krynn
Dragonlance Campaign Guide
Dragons of Krynn
Holy Orders of the Stars
Knightly Orders of Ansalon
Legends of the Twins
Races of Ansalon
Towers of High Sorcery
War of the Lance

Ravenloft
Ravenloft Player's Handbook
Ravenloft Dungeon Master's Guide
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft

kongming

Well, here is the background for my character:

Natalja was born in a quiet town on Toril - there were still some places that actually were not affected by the major threats to the world, some places that had peaceful trade and little else. However, the problem there is that, the further you are from the big cities, the more sway the local religions have. Her town was almost contested between the major elemental deities, and Natalja was raised into worship of Kossuth.

This was the regular praise and donation kind of fare for much of her life, as she was trained simply to be a guide and path-beater, nothing particularly out-there. Nonetheless, it was in one of the lengthy outings in the forests that Natalja first learned what true terror was, when goblins (on the run from the war up North) attacked. They were nearly as frightened as her, but they had numbers and were armed. She would have been killed were it not for their alchemical flasks to ignite, immolating them before her eyes. This was a sign: Kossuth surely blessed her.

Since then, Natalja has started to travel across the lands, intent on serving her god and spreading knowledge of the cleansing, purifying abilities of fire. Slowly, as her focus on the element increased, she became more and more attuned to it, even gaining allies born of the elements, and bringing them around Toril to help ease the lives of others and burn evil to the ground...

...until the day she stepped too far into the dark unknown. Undead were destroying a small town, cloaked in fog, and she was too quick to rush in, destroying the shambling corpses in a blaze of fire. When she turned around, the group were lost. They could see each other, but no way out of the mists, no way back home. Soon, they realised they were trapped in another world, one that was darker and more wicked by far.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

GreenHavok

Ok, my brain has been flowing all day about a character concept, and I think i know the trigger now. When you posted that they could be from any realm, including Earth, i had to take that challenge. So I will have to send you a PM with a detailed history so everyone doesn't have to suffer with my ideas, but here is a general background.

The crusades are raging. Holy war has spread across the Middle East, with the Holy Roman Empire trying to reclaim it's holy land from the "savage" Islam tribes. The year is 1230, and a young man by the name of Derik Von Rathman has just donned his sacred tabard of white and black. He is astride his horse with his lance and shield in hand, his helm firmly covering his face, and his holy cross glowing on his chest. He is commanding a unit of cavalry from Montfort, Jerusalem, leading them towards the holy land.
   On his third day of travel, they encounter a skirmishing group of Muslim soldiers and priests. Their superior armor and tactics win the day, along with a little help from their God, but in the wake of the battle, a muslim priest chants an ancient incantation. The words rip a hole in the ground and a skeletal hand grasps Derik by the ankle, wrenching him from his horse, and pulling him into the shadowy Abyss.
   Muslim imams believe this spell sends their foes to the land of death, but it is actually a gate spell, launching the young knight into another realm, Ravenloft. He resides here, becoming accustom to the new surroundings, taking up shelter in a fitting church and continuing his personal crusade to find his freedom from this world.

Again, i apologize for the lengthy post, and it is only the inkling of what is rolling through my head. Essentially, this earth has access to magic, given to them through devotion to a god or gods. After most of the pagan religions fell out of faith, Christianity and Islam were the two major donors of these powers. Only the most devout received the "gift" as it was known, with Christians having more of a focus on divine magic, and Muslims having a touch for the arcane arts. Again, my head has been alight with ideas, if anyone is interested in hearing more, please pm me and i'll be more than happy to share.

Transgirlenstein

I've come up with a rather Ravenloft appopriate character .  I have not decided on a class but fighter or barbarian or maybe urban ranger.  I will take any suggestions.

I'm going to play a warforged (though she might not use that name).  Essentially she is a copper clockwork woman who was created by a tinkerer on her world the warforged just seems the closest race stats to use).  Her body was molded into the form of the tinkerer's dead wife and seemingly imbeued with a tiny part of her soul.  She came to life, enraged at being brought back and denied the dim memory of the afterlife.  She left and now stalks her world looking for anything to help her restart her life.  As a walking metal woman though, this has not been easy and she has mostly been met with fear.

I just need the stats for warforged.

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Idej

Everything seems to be looking good from what I can see. :D

Katina Tarask

Hm.  I think I'd like to play a mephit, myself.  Air mephit, and the team thief, befuddled by the priestess' posse.  Though they're cordoned off from players by default (cohort-only level adjustment).  Mind if I play one anyways?

Alternately, I could do a tinker gnome Tantrist, with both Acquire Familiar and Improved Familiar to get her own mephit lover for purposes of recharging.

Or a tibbit Tantrist with a cat familiar for purposes of recharging. :P

Edit: Assuming I can actually find tinker gnomes... I'm pretty sure they exist...

Idej

Air mephit:

Type:  Outsider

HD:  3d8

LA +6

ECL:  6

Ability Modifiers:  Dex. +6, Int.  +2,  Cha. +4

BAB:  +3

Fort.  +3,  Ref. +3, Will +3

Natural Armor:  +3

Skill Points:  (2+Int mod) x6

Two Feats for its 3 HD

Consult the Monster Manual to get the rest of the Air Mephit stats.

Idej

Quote from: kongming on August 06, 2009, 09:47:11 PM
And to add another little cutie to the coterie, I'd also like to take Leadership to add a six-HD Sulphur Mephit as a Cohort. One priestess, and four naked female elemental groupies.

Where are Sulphur Mephits again?

schnookums

Man, seeing BoED gave me a totally evil idea (ironic, since it is exalted deeds) but I'm not sure I've got the courage to actually go through with it. (by evil I meant evil things happening to said character)

kongming

Sulphur Mephits are in It's Hot Outside Sandstorm, just like Glass Mephits.

Ons/Offs:

kongming

And I just realised it would be normal, with no extra hit dice (I must have looked at the Challenge Rating and not the HD+LA). So it's 3 HD + 3 cohort LA = level 6, which is the maximum level I can have for a cohort.

So this is the team as they stand. If the summoned mephits are allowed to have NPC wealth-for-level, then it's a simple matter to kit them out too. If not, then I have finished, pending any changes you want made.

---

I intend on drawing up a picture at some point. Of the whole group.

---

Natalja Creed, reborn "Infernia Sapphus"
Neutral Human Cleric of Kossuth 5/Elemental (Fire) Archon 3

STR14+2--
DEX12+1--
CON14+2--
INT12+1--
WIS18+4(20+5)
CHA14+2(16+3)

HP: 53/53
Speed: 30' (20')
Initiative: +1

BAB/Grapple: +5/+7
-Melee +7
-Range +6
Great Falchion: +8 melee, 1d12+2d6+4 slashing 18-20/x2, 1d6 to Self

FORT+09
REF+3
WILL+12

AC: 20 (10 + 1 Dex + 9 Armour)
Flat 19
Touch 11

FEATS:
Drift Magic (Flaywind Burst is 4th level, +1 CL to Drift spells)
Priest of the Waste (Spontaneous spells)
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Great Falchion
Leadership

SKILLS:

Diplomacy+14
Know: Local+12
Know: Nature+12
Know: Religion+12

SPECIAL:
Spontaneous Cure Spells
Fire Domain: Turn Water/Rebuke Fire 6/day (+5 on the check, 2d6+8 turning damage)
Renewal Domain: 1d8+3 healing 1/day when below 0
Turn Undead 6/day (+5 on the check, 2d6+8 turning damage)
Mephit Underlings (+2 HD & NA, +1 Str, Empathic Link, Improved Evasion, Share Saves, Sycophantic Fawning)
Power of Arrogance
Fire Resistance 10

SPELLS:
Caster Level 7, CL 8 for Drift Spells

Spontaneous Conversion:
Cure X Wounds, Cloak of Shade, Control Weather, Create Food & Water, Create Water, Endure Elements, Heroes' Feast, Hydrate, Protection From Dessication, Protection From Energy, Resist Energy

Orisons: 6/day DC 15
-Create Water x2, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Purify Food and Drink
1st Level: 7+1/day DC 16
-Bless, Bane, Command, Detect Undead, Shield of Faith, Protection From Evil, Sanctuary, +Burning Hands
2nd Level: 4+1/day DC 17
-Desiccate, Sonic Burst, Enthrall, Hold Person, +Produce Flame
3rd Level: 3+1/day DC 18
-Haboob, Prayer, Searing Light, +Resist Energy
4th Level: 2+1/day DC 19
-Flaywind Burst, Divine Power, +Wall of Fire

EQUIPMENT:
+1 Vicious Green Steel Great Falchion (9,400GP)
+1 Full Plate (2,350GP)
+2 Amulet of Wis (4,000GP)
+2 Cloak of Charisma (4,000GP)
Amber Ring of Giant Vermin: Wasp (900GP)
Wand of Cure Light Wounds 50/50 (750GP)
"Cigarettes" of Divine Favour 50/50 (750GP)
The usual Stuff worth around 500 (bedroll, blankets, backpack, pouches, chalk, 100' rope, 3 vials each of alchemist fire, coldfire and acid, 10 torches etc.)
Pearl of Power I (1,000GP)
Bloodfire Ooze Summoning Ritual (3,000GP)
Permanent Mostly-Heatless Torch (250GP)
10 Platinum Pieces Remaining

Mephit Team:
Rache:
Fire Mephit (22/22 HP, DR 5/magic, Fast Healing 2 (Fire), Init +6, Speed 30' Fly 50' Average)
Ability Scores 11/14/10/6/10/16
BAB/Grapple +5/+1
2 Claws +9 1d3 plus 1d4 Fire
AC 24 (flat 22 touch 13)
Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +8
Improved Initiative + Weapon Finesse
Abuse Magic Device +13, Decipher Script +4, Spellcraft +6 (+8 to decipher scrolls)
Know: Planes +4, Know: Arcana +4, Bluff +9
Breath Weapon 15' Cone 1d8 Fire DC 13 Ref Half
1/Hour Scorching Ray, Parboil DC 15, 1/Day Heat Metal DC 15
Summon Mephit 25%, Darkvision 60'
Equip: Small +1 Chain Shirt, Adamantine Coating for Claws, +1 Cloak of Resistance, 6 scrolls of Scorching Ray

Skald
Steam Mephit (22/22 HP, DR 5/magic, Fast Healing 2 (Humid/Boiling), Init +6, Speed 30' Fly 50' Average)
Ability Scores 12/14 (16)/10/6/10/15
BAB/Grapple +5/+2
2 Claws +8 1d3+1 plus 1d4 Fire
AC 20 (flat 17 touch 14)
Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7
Improved Initiative + Ability Focus: Breath Weapon
Diplomacy +10, Bluff +8, Perform: Dance +8, Abuse Magic Device +8, Tumble +11, Balance +11
Breath Weapon 10' Cone 1d4 Fire DC 15 Ref Half, Failed Save gives -4 AC and -2 Attack 3 rounds
1/Hour Blur, Steam Fog DC 14, 1/Day Boiling Rain DC 14
Equip: Boots of Dexterity +2, Backpack, 8 scrolls each of Cure Light Wounds & Grease, 6 scrolls of Sunstroke, 1 scroll each of Pyrotechnics, Scimitar of Sand and Glitterdust

Obsidia
Glass Mephit (32/32 HP, DR 5/magic, Fast Healing 2 (Flame/Molten Glass), Init +0, Speed 30' Fly 40' Average)
Ability Scores 18/10/14/6/10/15
BAB/Grapple +5/+5
2 Claws +10 1d3+4 plus 1 Fire or Glaive +11 1d8+7 (20/x3)
AC 23 (flat 23 touch 11)
Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7
Power Attack + Leap Attack
Bluff +8, Intimidate +10, Diplomacy +10, Know: Planes +4, Abuse Magic Device +10, Spellcraft +4
Breath Weapon 10' Cone 1d4 Fire DC 15 Ref Half, Failed Save gives 1d4 Fire/round for 3 rounds
1/Hour Blur, Incendiary Slime DC 14, 2/Day Heat Metal DC 14
Equip: +1 Small Glaive, Small MW Breastplate, 1 scroll each of Fireball, Tormenting Thirst, Sunstroke and Body Blaze

Cohort:
Ajax
Sulphur Mephit (Small Outsider [Air, Earth, Ex.])
Str 16 Dex 16 Con 18 Int 6 Wis 8 Cha 18
HP: 31/31
Init +7
Speed: 30'
Fly 50' (Average)
AC: 19 (Flat 16 Touch 15)
BAB/Grapple: +3/+2
2 Claws +11 (1d3+5)
Improved Initiative, Ability Focus: Breath
Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +3
Skills: Bluff +10, Intimidate +14, Sense Motive +5, Balance +11, Tumble +11, Use Rope +9
Breath: 10' Cone of Poison (KO one minute/nothing), DC 18
DR 5/magic and Fast Healing 2 (Smoke and fumes)
Darkvision 60', Summon Mephit 25%
Sp 1/hour: Haboob (centred on self, DC 15), 1/day: Stinking Cloud (DC 15), Caustic Smoke (DC 15)
-Amulet of Health +2, Green Steel on Claws, 2x +1 Claws, Ring of Deflect +1, Cloak of Resistance +1

Ons/Offs:

Idej

Quote from: kongming on August 09, 2009, 02:32:09 AM
Sulphur Mephits are in It's Hot Outside Sandstorm, just like Glass Mephits

Okay thanks

Quote from: schnookums on August 09, 2009, 01:59:58 AM
Man, seeing BoED gave me a totally evil idea (ironic, since it is exalted deeds) but I'm not sure I've got the courage to actually go through with it. (by evil I meant evil things happening to said character)

Do whatever you want it doesn't bother me.

Quote from: kongming on August 09, 2009, 06:10:33 AM
So this is the team as they stand. If the summoned mephits are allowed to have NPC wealth-for-level, then it's a simple matter to kit them out too. If not, then I have finished, pending any changes you want made.

You can give them NPC wealth-for-level.

Transgirlenstein

Katina Tarask

Racial hit die and level adjustments add together to create ECL, so mephits with 3 HD and an ECL of 6 have a +3 LA.

In other news, are custom magic items under standard custom magic item rules allowed?

Idej

That is correct for a mephit

And yes you can create custom magic items under the standard custom magic item rules.

Idej

Just got Secrets of the Dread Realms.

And I am listing all of the books that I have on the introductory post.