A venture into the world of Harry Potter - Upon Death's Door [UN]

Started by Sabriel, July 30, 2009, 12:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabriel

A venture into the world of Harry Potter-Upon Death's Door

Hello everyone, I would like to offer the opportunity to explore the world of the Harry Potter novels  and films.  It is my intention to weave a storyline of our own creation with characters created and portrayed by those interested. I have a general background plot outline which will serve as a theme throughout the story but will not be the only part of the story that unfolds I hope as players will unlikely get themselves involved in many other stories in the course of things. 

The general themes of this story will be those often encountered in the novels themselves with a strong bent on mystery and the unknown in the plots outline. This will not be a purely adult based storyline but I would never rule out such themes only ask that they be treated in moderation and that they make sense. This is supposed to be a story with many themes after all not just an erotic script,  with this in mind I would also ask that all characters be of a mature age.  Anyone wishing to be students at Hogwarts will be in there final years at school, Characters will not be expected to be students but it is an option. Certain concepts and backgrounds maybe restricted if I believe they will conflict with the story and the overall theme.

Although this is a venture into the world of Harry Potter you will not be allowed to portray the main characters themselves and will be expected to create your own.  Also it is unlikely that many prominent characters will feature other than in passing.

The story itself will at times rely on a system for resolving certain situations and the success or outcome of certain task and acts involving magic. I am working on trying to modify a simple magic based system that I hope will keep with the theme.  The system I will be relying on mostly will be the White Wolf Old World of Darkness system at present I am working on adapting a few things and creating a character sheet to make things a littler easier to keep track of things. This will not be a game that relies heavily on a system however and the system will only been used when it is deemed absolutely necessary. 

I won't be starting this until all is prepared obviously and I have a cast of characters to participate in the storyline and interact with one and other.  If you are interested or have any questions please reply in this thread. I will likely be updating this topic as things progress.

Bellow is an introduction to my little plot line think of it as the opening scene of a film or the text on the back of a book the first page in a novel whatever you like. Also included is a bit of silly decorative theme I cooked up. ^.^

Deep within the bowels of the Ministry of Magic in the department of mysteries is a room known to some as the Death Chamber. The room itself is large and echoing, scarcely lit benches run around the side of the room descending in steep steps like an amphitheatre. An eerie still atmosphere and cold chill penetrates the room and in the centre of the room in a sunken stone pit roughly twenty feet deep perched atop a stone dais looms the Veil.  The Veil itself is an ancient cracked and crumbling stone archway. The Veil is a barrier between the land of the living and that of the dead to those touched by death a thick sheath of mist occupies its passage, whispers of the departed can be heard close to the Veil and some say there presence can be felt. One fact that until this night was believed absolute was that nothing could pass from the Veil into the land of the living. And it was this nights events that would throw the Ministry into panic and bring questions to the minds of wizards and witches everywhere. It happened at midnight one of the officials of the department of mysteries was investigating a mist that had begun to poor forth from Veil roughly half  an hour before midnight itself. Alfonzo Firewalker had worked for the department for over half his life and he had never seen anything quite so strange or that he himself considered quite so fascinating. Alfonzo was a short stout man standing just under 5ft he was middle aged  and kept a trimmed and styled beard that made his position as one of the Unspeakable's seam far more sinister than he himself actually was. He dressed himself in long dark purple robes and rested a silver rimmed monocle on one eye, he was busy attempting to study the apparently leaking mist and collect samples when the disturbance took place. There was piercing wail and a sound similar to a sudden gust of wind, standing up startled Alfonzo turned in time to see the shocking sight. The archway of the Veil was billowing with mist it seeped out into the room parting from the figure who had appeared there. A slender feminine  figure dressed in sleek black and greyish toned dress and cloak a wide brimmed hat atop her head wisps of dark hair visible the majority of her face hidden behind a think ebony scarf. Her deep green eyes where what caught Alfonso's attention if it had not been for the lurking silhouettes behind her the sudden appearance of  a sleek ashen wand in her hand and the sound of her voice he would of continued to stare. In hindsight of the events that night things may have perhaps gone better if he had, as she spoke her words where garbled and meaningless to Alfonzo and he took her posture and the looming figures behind her as a threat and acted. Alfonso whipped out his thorn wood wand and drew it upon her yelling as he cast “Expelliarmus!” The feminine figure stood slightly perplexed as her wand flew from her hand and skittered across the floor. She spoke once more her words once again tirade of unknown meaning, Alfonzo pointed his wand at her and spoke “How did  you get in here, this is a restricted are !  Who are you ?” She peered intently at him for a moment and the begun to slowly walk down the stairs away from the archway. “I demand to know, you should not be in here!” Alfonzo scowled at her and thrust his wand at her menacingly. She regarded  him with an icy stare and continued to walk forward her gaze wandering the room, Alfonzo shook his wand at her his lips begun to form the workings of a spell as he aimed. She raised one hand swiftly and spoke a swift verse of words that resounded with magical power a power quite different to anything Alfonzo had ever encountered. The mists that had been pooling in the room suddenly seamed to rise up and multiply smothering the room in a hazy greyish fog, Alfonzo felt a chill creep up his spine and felt his strength being leached away as an incredible icy chill overcame him it felt as if the mist was smothering and coiling about him. Within moments he had dropped his wand and fallen to the floor shivering he watched through the gloom with blurry vision as three silhouettes passed him by and then the world descended into darkness.

I look forward to answering any questions or querrys.

Lycan Queen

...Interesting, that I must say. However, I do have a few questions for you, namely about the background.

Is this the same universe as the cannon characters? If so, when in the adventure is it? Are the prejudices against non-humans and Muggle borns still there, and how strong? What are the limits on what we can and cannot play?

Sabriel

Hiya Lycan Queen, thanks for your questions and intreast.

It is the same universe as the cannon characters from the novels but it is obviosly itself not cannon and departs slightly from certain established cannon themes.  The Adventure is going to set roughtly a few years after the events of the Deathly Hallows, so there is no Voldemort around and quite a few things have changed in the world. 

The prejudices against muggle borns are still there althougth they are not tolerated by current Minstry of Magic, the prejudices are alive but they are now forced into hiding almost. For example if a student of Hogwarts was to refer to another student in a dergatory maner using such terms as Mudblood or bullying them because of Muggle ties they will be punished and possibly expeled.  So those prejudices are still alive but the are on the decline and not tolerated so much as they used to be. As for the prejudices against non humans they havent really changed all that much althougth there is more talk of it now looking for change and more positive outlook and acceptance.  As of yet very little progress has been made on that front many old Wizards still cling to there prejudices of non humans althougth many of the teaching staff at Hogwarts try to teach acceptance and understanding of non humans. The Non humans that have attained the most progress are the House elves who have there own movement and even a represenative in the Ministry of Magic.  Not all House elves follow this movement and not all follow it for the same reason or cause some splinter groups of House elves who actually hold grudges against wizarding familes have croped up.  Overall the House elves still keep close ties to Wizards and many still serve them althougth some of them now of there own choice. 

The Death Eater's are all but a distant memory with only a few still remaining at large in the world most of them trying to avoid capture althougth a few still remain loyal to there dead lord and foolishly seek to carry out what they believe is his will.

If there is any other questions on specific non humans or anything else to do with prejudices or treatment etc please feel free to inquire for more info.

The Death Eater's are all but a distant memory with only a few still remaining at large in the world most of them trying to avoid capture althougth a few still remain loyal to there dead lord and foolishly seek to carry out what they believe is his will.

I havent really set any limits on what people cannot play in my head yet as long as it does not conflict with the storyline or cause issues it will be considered.  Obviously you cannot decide that your the Minister of Magic  or other lofty stations but being in the employ of the Ministry of Magic is fine or a teacher at Hogwarts. I havent really considered the implication of characters playing non humans to much althougth certain things could be done althougth they would have to make sense and fit in as the Wizard world is a focus here so if you wanted to play somthing like a Centaur you would have to accept that you always be slightly out of the loop and at times not able to go certain places.

I hope that answers your questions feel free to question me more if you like.

Chat Noir

If you've been missing me please see my thread here.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones...
...but whips and chains excite me."

Ons and Offs
My Roleplays:
Dirty Little Secret|Mystery Men - Unsung Superheroes

Sabriel

Hiya Chat Noir, feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

Any ideas of kinds character concepts you would like to go with ?

Chat Noir

I was thinking a shopkeeper type character, with interest in magical creatures (I also have a copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for reference) so probably a pet shop keeper/magical ingredients breeder. Maybe a Steve Irwin type character isntead of the Hagrid habits though. I definitely wanted to play a woman though.

Ons and Offs
My Roleplays:

Sabriel

DarkAngel

This sounds very interesting .... I want to know more... about the plot .. please if you would..

Sabriel

Ok the catalyst for the plot is an event which happened inside the Ministry of Magic at first these events are covered up with only a few details being released. The Ministry of Magic is attempting to hide the fact it does not have a full understanding of what has happened and how it happened, the fact that several individuals have supposedly done the impossible, the Ministry has marked these individuals as the current no1 undesirables although they have given no clear reason why. This obviously arises suspicion in some and the fact that nobody seams to know who these individuals even are also raises more questions. The plot will unfold to try capture such themes of suspicion, prejudice and morality, who are these individuals why is the Ministry so reluctant to comment on the events, will the truth be told or will the Ministry spin the truth and what effect will it all have on the wizarding world in general at such a time when things where starting to change.

I hope this gives you more of a general idea if you have any more questions or need more info feel free to ask me.

DarkAngel

So is the Rp in the school persay or we playing as other Magical beings that are not Hogwart students?

Chat Noir

I'm pretty sure it's open to older students, professors, and other adult characters.

Ons and Offs
My Roleplays:

Sabriel

Yep that is correct, all those Chat Noir mentioned are fine and magical beings will be considered althougth obviosly some of them might have difficultes being involved more than others.

DarkAngel

Mm I think I might have to be an exchange student from America

Lycan Queen

For most Hogwarts rps I use my shy, Japanese Hufflepuff, Roryoko Sato. The only thing "different" with her is that she has an Egyptian Mau named Ilei.

If allowed, I wouldn't mind playing either a werewolf (surprise surprise) or possibly a House-elf.

Speaking of which, what's the situation for Werewolves? Has any of the damage Umbridge did with her anti-werewolf legislation been undone?

Sabriel

The situation with werewolves has improved under Kingsley Shacklebolt's guidance and werewolves are supposed to be treated with more fairness and understanding than before.  However in the world of Hp afflicted werewolves are dangerous creatures unable to control themselves when under affects of the change so there are certain restrictions upon them and they are watched and have to be registered. The Ministry's Werewolf Support Services now supplies wolfsbane potion to those it judges not a threat to society although they are expected to remain under curfew around the time of the change to prevent any unfortunate accidents. Those considered unstable or dangerous may either volunteer to be safely locked away during times of change or be taken against there will and put into Werewolf housing camps, which are a bit like a cross between an asylum and an old peoples home. The Minstry now tries to look on Werewolves as the people they are not the monsters they become under the change, some however have difficulty accepting this and still mistrust werewolves some even resent the changes saying it will only lead to more afflicted and deaths. Some Werewolves even hold positions now in the Ministry there are even rumours that the Ministry has a special task force of them the purpose of this task force varies, but the rumour usually goes that they are used somewhat like the dementors where once used, except obviously there days of work are rather limited.  The sources of these rumours however is far from credible.

There is small splinter groups of renegade werewolves who still see these new treatments as unfairness and there are those who take a darker bent revelling in there werewolf nature much like Fenrir Greyback, these individuals are hunted by the Ministry and the Werewolves allied to the Ministry and in favour of there new treatment assist in this. Obviously these renegades are part of the reason some mistrust werewolves still and responsible for enforcing the prejudices and slowing progress.

Ultimatly many werewolves now believe they have as good as treatment as they are likely to get and many are thankful for the methods put in place by the Ministry, prejudice istelf however is a hard thing to imediatly be rid of so that is somthing that will progress more slowly with some.

Sabriel

Just adding some more flavor and plot props ive been working on.

This is the jist of the article.

The Ministry has been silent on the rumour of the recent disturbance at the ministry, but we have it on good authority that the No1 Undesirables are responsible for the events. Who are these mysterious individual's and why did they break into the Ministry to apparently then leave with relatively little harm to anyone. From my sources within the Ministry and on interviewing several of the eyewitness who where present that evening when these individuals escaped I have learnt that    there numbers vary from account.  Most of the people I spoke to insisted that there where only two Witches and some kind of creature they described as a scaly lizard that walked upright and was roughly the size of an Elf. This creature apparently appeared intelligent and had its own possessions and clothes but the opinion of those present was that is was subservient to the Witches. I have inquired into the validity of the description of this creature and have come to the conclusion that this lizard like creature is likely nothing more than a bizarre cross of House Elf, One expert I spoke to believed it was possible that perhaps it was part Goblin although others disputed this. Some crazed people even seam to be of the opinion that it is an unrecorded species. The Witches themselves seam to be a strange pair by all accounts, they seamed in no real rush to leave the Ministry but witness say it is as if they had come unprepared not knowing the routes to take to leave and that when one of them spoke she did so in a different language. I have been unable to obtain information on how exactly they eluded capture and escaped the Ministry but several Ministry members are known to be recovering from the evenings events. The Ministry claims no knowledge of these Witches and is asking for information on them and there whereabouts it has issued a statement that a reward will be offered for information leading to there capture, it has stressed that no individual is to approach or attempt to communicate with them and under no circumstances should magic be used. It is apparent to me that Ministry is trying to cover something up and is not telling us all the facts but this reporter will soon dig them up for you to read in my next report. What is the Ministry keeping from us, who are these individuals and what was there purpose in breaking into the Ministry, it is my firm opinion that there is a dark motive at work here perhaps the Ministry itself is involved.   

Lycan Queen

I love where this thread is going. Really tempted to play a werewolf...

Sabriel

Id have no issue with a Werewolf character so that would be fine, so long as its not a psychopathic one who has a biting fetish that would not really fit in to well with others id imagine unless they had a kink for that kind of thing :P

Lycan Queen

Woo! And no, no psychopathic werewolves.

Oh! Today at work I had an idea. If possible, I'd like to play the Divinations teacher, Fiona Luxemburg, AKA Professor Flux for short. She originally applied to teach Numerology, but has an extreme amount of knowledge in Divinations since she spent a lot of her younger life trying to prove that none of it worked. She does not have the True Sight, but her classes are namely about the origins of various kinds of Divination methods and how to hoodwink people into believing your predictions are true. To her, using the cards as a way of thinking about your life in a meditative state is fine, but she still doesn't believe they can actually predict the future.

That's my werewolf character concept. What do ya think?

Sabriel

Its a very interesting concept and I like it although I am not quite sure it would work at Hogwarts since I can't really see them wanting to hire a teacher who once attempted to discredit the subject or one who would teach things which are not divination at all but the tricks that muggles themselves may use to con people. It sound more like the kind of after hours class you might expect some of House Slytherin to set up. I mean it is possible they might do although i can't really imagine it happening under any situation other than if there was no actual other Divination teachers available. Being that Sybill Patricia Trelawney is still alive its unlikely the position is even available anyway.

If you want to be a teacher of a subject it would be better that you actually believe in it and that your teaching methods where not about fooling or conning people, I mean most people would not really want there children to be learning such behaviour. Many are prejudice against Divination because of the number of fakes there are and those who use it to con and fleece others, it would only enforce this kind of bad reputation to teach such things.

Sabriel

I am no longer looking for people for this story due to a lack of intreast in it, i have decided to put it on hold.