News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Obviously, stuff is broken : /

Started by Vekseid, November 22, 2009, 05:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Okay, so, as some of you know, a number of SMF's queries were really inefficient in prior versions, so I decided to upgrade to SMF RC2 as the server was dying, a lot, and many of those queries are repaired. I also corrected a memcached issue so the forums should be faster in general.

Since this is a new theme, there are some issues that need correcting:

1) Restore the triple-column layout. Also do other boardindex minor things like have the 'users online today' click-expand.
5) Figure out who is having trouble posting and get in touch Seriously, if someone can't post please let me know.
2) Fix the ons and offs extension. The new theme layout broke that one explicitly. Also correct html issues in other extensions. (Some theme silliness remains)
3) Fix the smileys. Maybe add the animated ones Jouzinka always uses this time, too >_>
7) Re-integrate the ons and offs profile display
6) Re-do signature tweaks
9) Re-add floatright/floatleft/image padding/justify/etc bbcode and other source tweaks.
8) Move Blue Moon and Lunar Radiance to newly purchased account. Doing Sexisnormal today, WE&T has someone to care for it, need to find someone for PrP. For the most part this is done, however : )
10) Move stuff into the style so people can create new subthemes. The ons and offs are currently not in - however they can wait for now : )

4) Handle remaining mods. Stop Spammer, MX Check and Referrals.

Javascript bugs:

a) Fix the bug so usernames entered into private messages can be selected with the 'enter' key Reported to the SMF team.
b) Fix the dropdown bug - causes browsers to blank textareas on forward/back/restore This is a bug in Firefox. Reported and accepted to the SMF team.
c) Fix hotkeys - ctrl +b/i/s/etc

Feel free to ask questions or comment.

Blue Moon and other high-load sites are going to be moved off-server, onto a new VPS account that I just purchased. That should also help during peak hours, though yes, I need to beg for money : / On the other hand, since I don't need to be so paranoid I can sell web hosting account access directly, so if you are interested in getting something out of defraying Elliquiy's costs, pm me : )

I'm also getting my stuff together to setup affiliate programs with, finally, plus (I hope) a ccBill account and other discrete things. It just takes money to set up : /

Thank you all for your patience : )

Caeli

Thank you for your hard work, Veks. :-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Kip

Yep thanks Veks! 

I hope there is a sanity break somewhere between those steps :D

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Izu

Thank you for your hard work!
There are new emoticons?  ???

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Dakota

There are 3 sets of smileys on this version that can be user selected :p

Caeli

I liked the minimalistic smileys the most. :-( Oh well.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

jouzinka

This looks interesting. Out of the monotematic stereotype.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Dakota

Veks if you want some help with the theme issues i can put you in touch with someone reliable, He's already re-designed the curve theme for me lol

Vekseid

Quote from: Caeli on November 22, 2009, 06:13:21 AM
I liked the minimalistic smileys the most. :-( Oh well.

They'll be back >_>

Dakota

Lol to be honest i prefer these new ones

Oreo

Don't kill yourself in the effort to fix it all Veks. :D You have a patient lot of people here I'm thinking. *hugs*

I like the old ones too, they were less intrusive in the script.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Izu

Fixing glitches is the most boring and annoying part of coding, so take your time, Veks <3

Nadir

Dakota

kongming

New smilies? Is there a GAR smiley?

Anyway, a problem I noticed: my bouncy avatar and the chat are located on top of the "You have >9000 messages". Now, if I have an unread one, the bigger red text stands out enough that I can notice it and click it still, but it's a bit of a pain.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

SinsOfEden

Wow. Nice overhaulin', Veks.

Thankies.   =3

And take your time in fixing things. There is no rush.
  |≈|  Apologies/Absences  |≈|  On's/Off's & More  |≈| 

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 
{Between Zyrkirius and Lloyd... Zyr is currently present.}

~ Current avatar ~

|≈|  Zyr's Beast  |≈|  Lloyd's first intro.  |≈|

Doomsday

Gah, I'm glad it's not just me! Everything looks so weird :-(

Carlissa

"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Spunky

It looks cool and user friendly. I like that the Shoutbox is much easier to read now.

When will the Bookmarks be back? Any idea?

Dakota

The mods need to be altered to work with this version of the forum software as veks stated above ^^

Mithlomwen

*hugs*  Thanks for all of the work you put into making E such an amazing place, Veks.  You are awesome. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Spunky

Quote from: Derrian on November 22, 2009, 07:57:29 AM
The mods need to be altered to work with this version of the forum software as veks stated above ^^

Okay...thanks...I guess that answers the question about bookmarks? I must have read something wrong. I'll just wait patiently. *kisses and hugs for Veks and mods*

jouzinka

Guys, why don't we leave Veks working? I'm sure he'll fix whatever he'll come across and after that he'll call on us to report any bugs we find that he might have overlooked?

Queen Be Damned Sheiba

Nadir

What happened to my 'fro!!!!

O8) <- so wrong!

Beguile's Mistress

*offers Veks a massage of neck and shoulders and a good scalp rub any time you need one*

I've upgraded, updated and revised simple data bases and ended with a migraine.  I can only imagine what you're going through right now.

Oreo

This is beyond nice Vekseid. The site looks amazing. *hugs* Thanks for all the hard work.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

consortium11

Looks good Veks... cheers for all the hard work...

Vekseid

Updated first post. Need to go for a bit.

PLEASE let me know if anyone is having posting issues : /

SinsOfEden

WOW!

Damn, Veks! This is just...amazing!

Thank you for all of your hard work, time, and effort. Everything looks...well...different. But I like it and it is more than great!  =D

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Nico

Fantastic work, Veks! You're the best!

Saku

Nice job Veks! :) Don't worry I'm patient so take your time fixing the rest of the stuff, now that the bookmarks link is back yay! xD
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

Chevalier des Poissons

Nice one, Veks. And don't worry, I am sure everyone will wait patiently for all the fixing, so no worries.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Soran

I logged in and thought something had broken..  ;D BUT, the changes ARE amazing Veks. Thank you.  8-) I even like the smileys  ;)

MzNurse

I love the updates Veks.  Wonderful job.  Take your time on what's left to be done, and remember, I'm always here to rant and left off steam when you need it.  Sometimes a good bitchfest in PM works wonders for that stress level...
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.

Fragile Dreams

The whole theme is amazing I love it. But is there a way I can make it have the layout from before, I mean with the columns. Also, I know that the theme is not the only thing that change... can we have a feedback about what is changed?

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

jouzinka

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on November 22, 2009, 11:40:12 AM
The whole theme is amazing I love it. But is there a way I can make it have the layout from before, I mean with the columns. Also, I know that the theme is not the only thing that change... can we have a feedback about what is changed?
Quote from: Vekseid on November 22, 2009, 05:44:05 AM
1) Restore the triple-column layout. Also do other boardindex minor things like have the 'users online today' click-expand.

Fragile Dreams

Ah thank you Jouzinka. I didn't see that Veks edited the first post.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Marguerite

Dang, I get up from a 12 hour sleep to this lovely Elliquiy. I am digging it, Veks.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Autumn Sativus

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but signatures are appearing directly next to a post for me. Instead of underneath, where they should, they're all aligned to the right of the posted words. It's stretching out the pages horizontally as well.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Oniya

*hugs Veks*  I'm well familiar with the bug-fix stage.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Marguerite

Hmm, I noticed the 'Been Logged On For: XXXX' amount of time is not on the forums as far as I have looked around on Elliquiy.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Oreo

Quote3) Fix the smileys. Maybe add the animated ones Jouzinka always uses this time, too >_>

>__> Hopes you are teasing O.o if not, please no animated smilies, unless there is an option to not see any smilies on the site.
They are really hard on the eyes when your world spins.

Lady Annabelle

I don't know if this is a problem for anybody else because it hasn't been mentioned.  It's not a big deal as I haven't checked it out on my other PC and I will be getting a new one soon as well, but...

My Shoutbox automatically starts at the top.  So, whenever I click on a page, I only see the top half of the Shoutbox and I miss the entire bottom part.  The top half shows the oldest posts while the bottom half shows the newer posts.  So, for me to see new posts in the Shoutbox, I have to scroll down every single time.  Then, when somebody posts in the Shoutbox, it automatically goes to the top.  The only way I rectify the problem is if I post in it, but that disappears when I click onto another page.

It's minor, but I just wanted to mention it in case anybody else has the same problem.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Oreo

It loads in the same fashion for me Annabelle.

Autumn Sativus

I've noticed that usernames are hidden in the 'Who's viewing this page' section as well. It'll say something like 4 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic, instead of giving their usernames like it used to.
Us against the world

Krysia

I love the new changes and I love the colors of the site now. It makes it really easy to read and the font size is perfect for an old blind bat like me. Thank you for the wonderful job Veks.

I did notice though that some of the old bbcode people used is breaking. Such as the floatleft and floatright code. Is there a new way of doing it with the new upgrades? Or is it something on the broken list?

Sample code I use:

[float=left][img padding=5]URL of Image Here[/img][/float]

Secretwriter

Awesome, Veks!

I'm looking forward to what you've got up your sleeves! 

Secret's Bio | Tanja's Bio

I see hell in your eyes. Taken in by surprise. And touching you makes me feel alive.

♦ Kitty's Brain ♥ Pockets's Lucky Charm ♥ Doom Cookie Monster ♥ Shade's Spanking Machine ♥ Najdan's Sinful Little Devil ♦

Aeval

The site looks AMAZING, Veks. Thank you VERY much for all your hard work. *hugs*

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

LadySky

I am loving everything!

I have one little problem however. Many of my pics in my posts are not showing.......
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Chevalier des Poissons

I have a manly opinion about this new layout:

It is so fluffy :3 I loved it :3
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Vekseid

Quote from: Armanda Honey on November 22, 2009, 04:56:17 PM
I am loving everything!

I have one little problem however. Many of my pics in my posts are not showing.......

Link to the relevant posts, please? I see pics in your post history...

LadySky

This is one of them....all the pictures show until you get to the bottom where I have float commands.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=53045.msg2460725#msg2460725
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Lilias

One little detail: In Who's Online, the icons next to the names (online status, plus messengers) are right-aligned. Could they be left-aligned instead, so the icon that really matters most - the online status - actually forms a full column? Right now it's really hard to spot buddies among the rest...

Also, can the list of 'logged in today' become collapsible again?

Otherwise, we look super-sleek, we do.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Vekseid

Quote from: Armanda Honey on November 22, 2009, 05:22:10 PM
This is one of them....all the pictures show until you get to the bottom where I have float commands.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=53045.msg2460725#msg2460725

Oh right, need to readd in that bbcode : / *adds todo*

Quote from: Lilias on November 22, 2009, 05:22:55 PM
One little detail: In Who's Online, the icons next to the names (online status, plus messengers) are right-aligned. Could they be left-aligned instead, so the icon that really matters most - the online status - actually forms a full column? Right now it's really hard to spot buddies among the rest...

Also, can the list of 'logged in today' become collapsible again?

Otherwise, we look super-sleek, we do.

Going to make logged on today collapsible again, yes. It's just a different part of the template. Will see about who's online >_>

LadySky

Beguile's Mistress

Everything I've tried works well.  Thank you.  I'm still offering shoulder and neck rubs and scalp massages if you need them.

Secretwriter

I'm having issues with spacing.  This post I copied and pasted from Word, when in preview mode it shows no issues but in the thread a lot of my spacing has been removed.

I see hell in your eyes. Taken in by surprise. And touching you makes me feel alive.

♦ Kitty's Brain ♥ Pockets's Lucky Charm ♥ Doom Cookie Monster ♥ Shade's Spanking Machine ♥ Najdan's Sinful Little Devil ♦

jouzinka

Quote from: Vekseid on November 22, 2009, 05:44:05 AM
2) Fix the ons and offs extension. The new theme layout broke that one explicitly.

May I ask what are you going to be tweaking about it? My seems to be working quite well, even the input part.

Vekseid

Quote from: jouzinka on November 22, 2009, 06:41:10 PM
May I ask what are you going to be tweaking about it? My seems to be working quite well, even the input part.

The input portion should be broken for everyone, if it's not that's another problem >_>

Theme stuff changed, etc.

Quote from: Secretwriter on November 22, 2009, 06:39:35 PM
I'm having issues with spacing.  This post I copied and pasted from Word, when in preview mode it shows no issues but in the thread a lot of my spacing has been removed.

Hrm. I might suggest copying it to notepad or something first - there are a dozen different 'space' characters in Unicode and it may be stripping them.

Secretwriter

Quote from: Vekseid on November 22, 2009, 06:48:54 PM

Hrm. I might suggest copying it to notepad or something first - there are a dozen different 'space' characters in Unicode and it may be stripping them.

Alright.  Thanks, Veks! 

Haruki

Just thought I'd pop in to say Thanks for the hard work.  Takes a lot of work and dedication to work with the innards of server-side technology like that required to run massive message boards.  I know I couldn't do such things with my limited know-how.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Sorsha

A pale blue-green would be nicer and make the orange and deep red orange.

and if not one has mentioed it--a button for making new bookmarks.
History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the dark.  ----Lord John Warfin in Buckaroo Banzai

Ons and Offs

Saerrael

Quote from: Sorsha on November 22, 2009, 07:26:55 PM

I'd like to add the forum is a bit too bright at the moment. Too much white, in my opinion.
*is a bit blinded here*

mannik

I'm digging the new color scheme. Blue is much better than pink in my opinion.

I do have one tiny little insignificant issue though....the big group sub-boards take up alot more room than they used to and seem to overshadow the rest of the boards. Before it was one or two lines at most, now it lists every single sub-board within said group.

Ultimately its not a big deal, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning. Either way, thanks for all the hard work you put into Elliquiy Veks. Thanks to you, this site really is something special.

Oniya

(Love the new avatar, Mannik!)

Actually, I think the default font is larger than it used to be.  Not a big deal, and I've already dealt with it on my end.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Saerrael

Quote from: Oniya on November 22, 2009, 08:24:30 PM
(Love the new avatar, Mannik!)

Actually, I think the default font is larger than it used to be.  Not a big deal, and I've already dealt with it on my end.

Looks to me just about everything is bigger. I love the fact you can now see the entire avatar without having to scroll.. Yes, minor thing, but I'm easy to please.

By the way, I seem to have four buttons over my font color chosing menu thingy in the PM menu.
I can just about click between the (link) buttons to chose, but thought I'd mention it.

Mithlomwen

Just a little thing in the scheme of things, but when you click the reply button, the reply space is aligned all of the way to the left instead of being centered like it was before the upgrade. 

Not a big deal, just something I noticed. 
Baby, it's all I know,

Dre

I dont know if this was brought up yet, and I didn't see it when I read through the replies, but ... the background for the IRC chat is screwed up.

Other then that, I LOVE the new theme. Awesome work Vekseid.
||Rest in Peace, Moreth.||||Absences and Apologies: Updated 12/18/19 ||

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on November 22, 2009, 01:17:19 PM
I don't know if this is a problem for anybody else because it hasn't been mentioned.  It's not a big deal as I haven't checked it out on my other PC and I will be getting a new one soon as well, but...

My Shoutbox automatically starts at the top.  So, whenever I click on a page, I only see the top half of the Shoutbox and I miss the entire bottom part.  The top half shows the oldest posts while the bottom half shows the newer posts.  So, for me to see new posts in the Shoutbox, I have to scroll down every single time.  Then, when somebody posts in the Shoutbox, it automatically goes to the top.  The only way I rectify the problem is if I post in it, but that disappears when I click onto another page.

It's minor, but I just wanted to mention it in case anybody else has the same problem.

I would like to take back my earlier problem.  It has nothing to do with the update as the fault lies in my ancient computer and sucky browser.

This isn't my main PC and I will be getting this one replaced in a month, so please do not worry about my problem.  You have 6,000 more important things to do and I can live without being so up to date with the Shoutbox.  It's not that big of a deal.

Thank you for everything and I have to agree that everything is running much smoother!
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Hunter

Quote from: Sorsha on November 22, 2009, 07:26:55 PM

I must be strange.  I LIKED the black and white.

ShamshielDF

One thing that Myr and I have noticed:  Hot keys don't work for font changes.  Ctrl + B for bold, ctrl + i for italics, etc.  Not a major problem, but it is a little frustrating after being used to it for so long ^_^

And thank you.  I'm intimately familiar with the joys of upgrading.  Major version changes of anything are always fun.
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

SinsOfEden

What happened to the referral links and stuff?   O_O

I was going to give mine to a friend to check E out and stuff and realized it was gone.  D=

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Vekseid

Quote from: Ghost on November 22, 2009, 11:48:51 PM
What happened to the referral links and stuff?   O_O

I was going to give mine to a friend to check E out and stuff and realized it was gone.  D=

I'll be setting up profiles so that people can pick a member as their referrer. Beyond that, though, it's just a matter of the module not being updated yet and having other things on the plate at the moment. : ) The mod author said he was going to, so that should happen soon. I did the bookmarks plugin primarily because it's lost author support.

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Vekseid on November 23, 2009, 12:09:43 AM
I'll be setting up profiles so that people can pick a member as their referrer. Beyond that, though, it's just a matter of the module not being updated yet and having other things on the plate at the moment. : ) The mod author said he was going to, so that should happen soon. I did the bookmarks plugin primarily because it's lost author support.

Ah, okies. I was just wondering.  :P

Thanks again, Veks. This new stuff is astounding. I love it.     

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Ty

As it is a little unclear, is there planned support for users to be able to pick their own theme to view the site in? This is mostly curiousity as the site looks fine atm (though I wish sub-boards were just bolded when unread, rather than bolded and having the orange new icon.)

And of course, thank you Veks for continuing to work to improve this site. It is appreciated.

Izu

And will this be our colors from now on?

Vekseid

I'm open to the idea of a contest or something for people who want to redo the color scheme... I don't have the time available given my design ability is made of fail : /

Izu

I think that the previous colors were just fine. They weren't too bright or too dark and were easy on the eye.
Also - the text in the sub-forum boxes - will it remain that big? I think the last thread with a post in it was smaller before...

Izu

P.s. And the yellow-orange that's around the site in links and 'new' posts... it's so ugly! >.<'

Caeli

I actually prefer this color scheme over the previous one. The orange isn't my favorite color, but it stands out, so that's good enough for me. If I could make a change myself, I would make the white slightly darker (a light gray, so it's not as bright), and make the blues and colors of everything else a touch darker so there's more contrast. I would also make the light/aqua blue of the boards that have unread posts in them more gray; right now, the blue color is brighter than I would like it.

But I really like the colors. :-) Smileys, not so much. xD But as long as I can choose the minimalist smileys, I'll be happy!

On the main forums page, this is how each "box" reads:
QuoteThe Good and the Cuddly! - 9831 posts in 552 topics.
Last post by Oniya in Re: HOORAH! NO MORE BS H... on Yesterday at 10:02:43 PM
Can we take out who the last post was by? I don't care as much about that as I do what the last topic was. Right now, the larger font size, while more readable, makes my columns a lot longer down the screen than they used to be.

Also, is it possible to make signatures scrollable again? I saw somebody with a signature that was... about 200px tall, I think. ><; It's very annoying when the signature is longer than the post.

I went into my inbox because I needed to take a look at a specific message underneath one of my labels. I have a LOT of labels - over two dozen - and when I checked one of my label groups that didn't have so many messages, I ended up with this huge amount of white space that stretched down to the bottom of the left sidebar, which holds all the labels:

I also checked this with my main inbox, and there's the same issue - it's just not as noticeable, since I view 25 messages at a time and my window is just small enough width-wise that it makes some of the dates go into two lines, instead of one. Since the inbox and labels didn't used to do this, I thought I'd mention it. :-)

OH! And I love this new button in the post editor:
The toggle view is a quick and easy way to test your post and see how it looks! Way cool. <3

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

ShamshielDF

Another observation...when I went to preview my post that I was working on I realized it didn't tell me that there were new posts.  I haven't tested to see if it will tell me anything when I try to post it (the post is a work in progress...) but it gave no indication of new posts or update showing the new posts.
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Izu

I just don't like the green-orange color of the subforums boxes. And white-ness between them.

Inside the subforums.... I dunno but something is not right... maybe the View/Post should be last? after the who the last post. And the topics... the space left for their titles is bigger, isn't it?

And yeah, just how it was stated above - the text in the subforum's boxes is really too big for it's own good..

Sarena

Seriously!  Everything is so pretty.  The colors are great and the font size is perfect.  Thanks Veks!  It looks all sleek and shiney :D
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Mithlomwen

Is there anyway that the sub forums boxes could be minimized?  That way for the people who don't want/need to see they, they can just collapse the box?
Baby, it's all I know,

Izu

The subforums of the subforums? Mh... I dunno... I think it's kind of useless... It's enough that the big subforums can do this.
I think that only the text should be made smaller, and to get rid of who made the last post, leaving it only which topic has the last post and when it was made, but again with a small font size..

Oreo

QuoteI'm open to the idea of a contest or something for people who want to redo the color scheme... I don't have the time available given my design ability is made of fail : /

That's a good idea Veks. Though don't think fail. The color scheme, as it stands now looks rather like a day at the beach.  ;D

Dakota

Black red and grey lol although its been made exclusively for twisted pandora I'll let veks have a copy :P

Haibane

Having a scheme something like the old one would be nice. I do like things to look familiar. My comfort zone is small.

Everything does somehow look bigger and clunkier with the new layout. Sort of like a kiddies plastic play telephone. That might be just because its new though.

Valerian

Quote from: Caeli on November 23, 2009, 02:14:29 AM
I actually prefer this color scheme over the previous one. The orange isn't my favorite color, but it stands out, so that's good enough for me. If I could make a change myself, I would make the white slightly darker (a light gray, so it's not as bright), and make the blues and colors of everything else a touch darker so there's more contrast.
More grey than white would be lovely.  Under incandescent lighting, it was fine; under fluorescents, I've discovered, it makes my eyes water unless I turn down the brightness on the monitor... which was already kinda low.  Maybe my eyes are just extra sensitive.  *shrug*
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Cythieus

I was going to ask about float right and left, I see its there, good.

Sugarman (hal)

"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

My On/Off's

Kip

Just from the SB discussion,

My Bookmarks tab works fine and I can see all the bookmarks I've set previously but a few of us couldn't find an 'Add Bookmark' option anywhere to add new ones in.

~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Vekseid

Kip

~Jay Brannan~

~Mohinder Suresh~

Vekseid

Alright, a few mods (Referrals, Stop Spammer, and MX verification) are not updated for RC2 yet. The former two are pretty active and the latter isn't a huge issue, so I'm going to be focusing on moving Blue Moon and Lunar Radiance over to the new server for now. I'll update the mods when feasible.

As another todo point, if people are interested in it, I'll move more of the style code into css files for people who want to make new color schemes, so there could be, say, a row of buttons along the top that let people switch between them on the fly (not different theme - just color scheme switching). That's a lot more feasible for me to maintain : )

Saerrael

Quote from: Vekseid on November 23, 2009, 06:13:40 PM
Alright, a few mods (Referrals, Stop Spammer, and MX verification) are not updated for RC2 yet. The former two are pretty active and the latter isn't a huge issue, so I'm going to be focusing on moving Blue Moon and Lunar Radiance over to the new server for now. I'll update the mods when feasible.

As another todo point, if people are interested in it, I'll move more of the style code into css files for people who want to make new color schemes, so there could be, say, a row of buttons along the top that let people switch between them on the fly (not different theme - just color scheme switching). That's a lot more feasible for me to maintain : )

Yes, please <3
I noticed I get a headace from all this white. Sensitive eyes...

HockeyGod

I'm really liking the upgrade. There are a couple of things that I think would be cool in the future...totally not necessary, but I'm calling them alxnjsh's wishlist. Some may have been previously discussed. None are bugs in the current system. I was told this would be the place to put them. Sorry if it is not...

--Before when you typed a name into a PM and hit enter it selected the name. Now it selects the name and tries to send the message giving you an error if you haven't written in the text box, or sending an incomplete PM. I've done it a few times.

--This totally may not be an option, but it would be awesome if you could give ability to edit posts to another person. I started an RP where I put people's characters up in a thread and that was dumb of me in hindsight because every update I have to do. I wanted it to look pretty, but now it's administratively yucky. I know that staff can do edits, but something about making a post public.

--When you lock a thread my experience is that you cannot even bookmark it. Perhaps this is wrong, but I locked a thread and was told it could not be bookmarked. I guess what I'm saying is...it would be nice to be able to bookmark a locked thread.

--Similarly, it would be nice for the person who locked a thread to be able to modify it without unlocking it and then relocking it each time.

--It would be cool if in the quick jumps at the bottom "My Bookmarks" was listed...or relink the "My Bookmarks" at the bottom. Again, just an ease thing and not important.

Hmmm...I might add more to my wishlist, but that's what I see now.

Myrleena

I'm afraid that I've got the same problem as some others, in that the color scheme is giving me a headache because it's so bright.

Jeramiahh

Ditto Myr, the ultra-bright color scheme is driving me from posting, right now, because it's so bright I can't stay on long without it being headache-inducing.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Saerrael

I was starting to think I was just being too sensitive.

*Snowblind hugs.*

Autumn Sativus

Have to agree with the headachey bit. *Rubs her eyes* I don't mean it to be picky, but it's no fun being on when it gives you a headache.
Us against the world

kylie

Personal control of the theme colors would be wonderful. 
I preferred the previous set over the current one, but most of all I would like to choose my own.  :-)

Did the default font change, too?  Or just the size/view?   
Somehow, I'm honestly not finding this font look as comfortable.  (Except perhaps for minimalist sci-fi themes. It makes me think of Tron, the old Atari, etc.)
So...  Could we also have a theme control that lets us pick our own default font and size?

About the toggle to change the color of a text selection...  Noticed that when one does a coloration of text using the toggle bar and then goes immediately after that and highlights another text selection, then the selector bar still shows whatever color you just selected to "change to."  Picking a different color off the bat for the new selection, I only need one toggle.  Now if you want to pick the same new color for this second text selection, then you have to turn the bar back to "change color" first -- but that itself creates a dummy [color=] and backslash partner bracket to go with it around your selection.  Then, one could go and enter the new color for the same text selection, but if you follow me, this means an extra toggle plus cleanup of the spurious brackets.

While on the subject: Is it possible to set it up so that if you keep the same text highlighted, you could keep switching the selector bar and the code would automatically change to match the selected color for that stretch?  Rather than flipping the bar and getting a new set of brackets each time around the same selection.  Not sure if it's feasible, but it might be handy since there's only one color for each selection in the end, anyway.

Izu

One more thing I noticed...
Last night I was posting a [url=] [/url] - writing the code myself and when I posted it, it had double [url] brackets around it as if one was put automatically so I had to go and edit the post in order it to appear properly.

Ah, and another thing - we could make things bold, italic and underlined with the usual ctrl+b/i/u shortcuts, but now it is not working...

As for the color scheme.

If you need help with it, I'm up to it. CSS + Izu = best friends forever! (Unlike the bad PHP that I still should learn well by the end of the semester ; ;  )

Cythieus

Lilias

Is it just me, or is everyone's time online meter still missing?
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Cythieus

Not sure, I never noticed that feature.

Oniya

It never seemed to be very accurate anyways.

Mithlomwen

Something else I know I'm missing is when you would go into any particular forum, whomever started the thread was in the middle column followed by the two columns for how many times it had been viewed and replied to, and then the final column listed who was the last person to post in it.  I happened to like that a LOT better than the current set up.  Not sure if that's something that can be changed? 
Baby, it's all I know,

Torch

Quote from: Lilias on November 24, 2009, 03:34:08 AM
Is it just me, or is everyone's time online meter still missing?

It can stay missing as far as I'm concerned. Then I'm not reminded of how much time I spend here.  :P
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Kurzyk

Quote from: kylie on November 24, 2009, 12:04:01 AM
     Personal control of the theme colors would be wonderful. 
I preferred the previous set over the current one, but most of all I would like to choose my own.  :-)

I agree. The way it is now is very confusing.

Edit:

Actually correction, it's not so much confusing, its the colors. The older color scheme was easier on the eyes. The orange and blue are really offsetting on my old eyes and I have to squint heh. I know... my eyes suck. :/

Great job so far though Veks. Wish I could help, but I have no experience or expertise with programming stuff.

Valerian

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on November 22, 2009, 01:17:19 PM

I know Lady A took back this problem later, on the grounds of an "ancient computer and sucky browser", but it's still doing that for me.  The computer's old-ish, I guess, but I'm running Windows XP Professional, which has generally been okay, and IE 8, which is... well, no worse than any version of IE.   :P  My other computer is fine, but there I have Chrome.

Anyway, it's a minor issue, of course, but might as well throw all the problems into one big heap, I guess.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: Valerian on November 24, 2009, 08:27:36 AM
I know Lady A took back this problem later, on the grounds of an "ancient computer and sucky browser", but it's still doing that for me.  The computer's old-ish, I guess, but I'm running Windows XP Professional, which has generally been okay, and IE 8, which is... well, no worse than any version of IE.   :P  My other computer is fine, but there I have Chrome.

Anyway, it's a minor issue, of course, but might as well throw all the problems into one big heap, I guess.

Valerian, the problem still persisted when I went to a newer computer and a better browser.  The only way I have found to remedy this problem is changing from IE to Firefox.  I don't know if it is just IE, but that seemed like the only way to fix things and the reason I switched browsers.

Sorry about your issue and I hope that I could offer some help.   :-)

Vekseid

It's working properly for me in IE8, but not IE7. May have a better look at what's up later >_>

Oreo

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on November 24, 2009, 08:50:10 AM
Valerian, the problem still persisted when I went to a newer computer and a better browser.  The only way I have found to remedy this problem is changing from IE to Firefox.  I don't know if it is just IE, but that seemed like the only way to fix things and the reason I switched browsers.

Sorry about your issue and I hope that I could offer some help.   :-)

I'm on a brand new Asus PC with Vista and Mozilla Firefox and the SB reacts that way for me, with the scroll at the top.

alxnjsh
Quote--This totally may not be an option, but it would be awesome if you could give ability to edit posts to another person. I started an RP where I put people's characters up in a thread and that was dumb of me in hindsight because every update I have to do. I wanted it to look pretty, but now it's administratively yucky. I know that staff can do edits, but something about making a post public.

I'd like to say I'm that trusting, but I wouldn't be happy to have things set up where just anyone could edit my posts. That's an all or nothing option. Someone having a snit could erase entire RPs.

The color options being made available for personal preference would be awesome.

Lastly ;D to have the smilies back

Vekseid

Er, as for the 'anyone can edit', that's what we have the wiki for : )

Vekseid

I've 'fixed' the scrolling issue for IE7 for me. Basically what happens is it loads, calls for the data, and sets the scroll bar to the bottom. Apparently when the data gets initially loaded, it will sometimes happen after setting the scrollbar to the bottom.

I've added another call to set it to the bottom, but it may be a bit too fast (200ms was too fast for me, I felt 500ms was too noticeable, so it's now at 300ms). Let me know if it's still not working for many people and I'll up it some.

Valerian

It's still acting the same way for me, though I already have IE 8, where theoretically it shouldn't be happening at all.  *sigh*
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Fragile Dreams

I'm not sure if someone else asked that. I was wondering if we could have the name of the person who started a post in a different column, like it was before, instead under the name of the post. I was finding that easier to short out the names and the topic names.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Izu

Or can we have the inside of the forums be ordered the way the bookmarks are? :
Link to topic | Started by | Replies | Views | Latest replies

Oreo

Quote from: Vekseid on November 24, 2009, 10:18:31 AM
I've 'fixed' the scrolling issue for IE7 for me. Basically what happens is it loads, calls for the data, and sets the scroll bar to the bottom. Apparently when the data gets initially loaded, it will sometimes happen after setting the scrollbar to the bottom.

I've added another call to set it to the bottom, but it may be a bit too fast (200ms was too fast for me, I felt 500ms was too noticeable, so it's now at 300ms). Let me know if it's still not working for many people and I'll up it some.

-hugs you silly Veks- It's fixed for me now too!

Valerian

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

HockeyGod

Quote from: Vekseid on November 24, 2009, 09:12:08 AM
Er, ass for the 'anyone can edit', that's what we have the wiki for : )

Touchy...er...touche.

Izu

Is it me or E just started loading really slowly? ._.? All my other sites are loading right away, but E takes a bit longer... or even a few clicks to get it loading...

Oreo

I had a glitch too, and couldn't get on for a few minutes.

Vekseid

Still haven't moved BM and LR off yet. Should work better with them gone. Also free up some space for me to test nginx out properly.

Izu

Amberghylles

Just to report a glitch.

I posted to a thread ( https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=52960.msg2474148#new ) and my bookmarks didn't update.  Apparently neither did Mithlowmen's. 

I imagine it's just delayed.  But I figured I should let you know.

Just to update: The next post updated it to my bookmarks and none of the others have acted up.  So whatever happened it seems to have just been that particular post.  The site was running slowly for me at that point as well, so it may just have gotten lost in the load.   

Vekseid

Quote from: Izu on November 24, 2009, 12:23:44 PM
nginx? *blinks*

It's a faster webserver that uses less memory, but I had troubles getting ssl working with it the first time around.

What happens during the slow downs is that so many people are hitting the server at once, there isn't enough memory to hold the processes handling each request. Things start passing to disk, the site slows down, which means more requests get thrown into the queue... etc.

And then the server basically dies under load.

RC2 helped... but for some reason more people decided to use it. >_>

Dakota

Izu

I see... Well, thank you for all your hard work!

Haibane

Something new I have noticed since the changeover. During the server backup session which happens at some ungodly hour of the night in the USA but which hits me at 10:30 in the morning here, right while I'm having my coffee and doing some writing on the forums... in the past when you typed a post and hit send while the server backup was running I could hit 'back' and my unsent post was still there in the 'reply' window. Now, its not. Its lost. It caught me badly today.

Yeah, I know I should really type in Word and copy/paste lengthy posts into the browser as a matter of course but sometimes I forget.

Is this something linked to the new change or is it a fun featurette of a recent Firefox upgrade?

Vekseid

The quick reply, at least, is behaving properly : /

Vekseid

Javascript is the culprit somewhere. Am digging. : /

Caeli

Quote from: Fragile Dreams on November 24, 2009, 10:34:23 AM
I'm not sure if someone else asked that. I was wondering if we could have the name of the person who started a post in a different column, like it was before, instead under the name of the post. I was finding that easier to short out the names and the topic names.
Quote from: Izu on November 24, 2009, 10:36:35 AM
Or can we have the inside of the forums be ordered the way the bookmarks are? :
Link to topic | Started by | Replies | Views | Latest replies

I actually like the way it is now. >_> Less columns = simpler, cleaner look. It was a little disorienting at first, but you can still sort threads by each item, and I like how long the title bar is. It looks so much more neat and tidy with so many fewer columns. Of course it takes getting used to, but it's a change that I like.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

kylie

You can still sort them by author by clicking on just the "Started by" link. 

Still...  I find it harder to read the thread titles or to see who started what this way.  There is one less column, and one really cluttered column instead.

Haibane

Quote from: Vekseid on November 24, 2009, 04:25:59 PM
Thank you. I do appreciate your diligence. *hugs*

This feature catches me out very rarely but when it does, boy is it mega-annoying.

Oreo

Quote from: kylie on November 24, 2009, 08:54:16 PM
You can still sort them by author by clicking on just the "Started by" link. 

Still...  I find it harder to read the thread titles or to see who started what this way.  There is one less column, and one really cluttered column instead.

I'm finding the same difficulty.

Oniya

Here's a thought - is it possible to not display the number of views on the list of subjects, but maybe only display that in the header when you open the thread?

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Caeli on November 24, 2009, 07:05:15 PM
I actually like the way it is now. >_> Less columns = simpler, cleaner look. It was a little disorienting at first, but you can still sort threads by each item, and I like how long the title bar is. It looks so much more neat and tidy with so many fewer columns. Of course it takes getting used to, but it's a change that I like.

I'm with Oreo and Kylie on this one, I liked the other format better.  It was much easier to see the title of the thread and who started it. 
Baby, it's all I know,

Oreo

Quote from: Mithlomwen on November 25, 2009, 08:25:34 AM
I'm with Oreo and Kylie on this one, I liked the other format better.  It was much easier to see the title of the thread and who started it.

I was able to scan before. Now I find I have to actually read to find things. It just takes me longer.

Haibane

I suspect having to look for things isn't due to this new layout specifically but is due to the fact there is a new layout - it's unfamiliar.

I'm not entirely sure what work was done with the upgrade - obviously the coding was all super-improved and some new features added and broken things fixed but was the graphical redesign actually necessary? I found the old layout quite a lot more 'adult'. Its subued colour scheme and mood suited an adult site moreso that this new scheme which feels a little 'light' and simplistic.

Can the old graphics be returned or were they an integrated part of everything that was clunky about the old code and so now incompatible?

I'm not being fussy - merely curious.

Oreo

QuoteI suspect having to look for things isn't due to this new layout specifically but is due to the fact there is a new layout - it's unfamiliar.
No it is actually because the two things I need to search through are right atop each other. Even if there were a space between the title and the name of the person who wrote it, would be a help. If it was just for RPing, I wouldn't care, but I find I am having to do a lot of skimming recently. The columns would be nice ;) .

I know it is insignificant with so many tweaks Veks, but I noticed this while moving threads. I can still make it work, but the full button showing would be nice. Nor do I know if it is only myself that has the problem. I'm on Vista/Mozilla/64bit

Valerian

Is anyone else having trouble telling what's a link and what isn't?  I'm not sure if this is just because I keep my monitors relatively dark (especially lately), but for me there's so little difference between the regular text and the link text, several times I've competely missed the fact that there is a link among the text as I'm reading along.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oreo

Quote from: Valerian on November 25, 2009, 10:35:39 AM
Is anyone else having trouble telling what's a link and what isn't?  I'm not sure if this is just because I keep my monitors relatively dark (especially lately), but for me there's so little difference between the regular text and the link text, several times I've competely missed the fact that there is a link among the text as I'm reading along.
I went to look at some of my own Valerian. Even knowing where the links were, I almost missed them.

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,

Vekseid

Quote from: Valerian on November 25, 2009, 10:35:39 AM

Yar, I think this is a better color (the harsher blue was too harsh, but this works okay for now).

Oniya

How about a mid-green or green-blue for links?  ($008800 or $008888)?

Haibane

I'd rather see links the standard convention colour - or close to it. New and different colours would be somewhat weird.

Vekseid

They were originally closer to cyan. Moving to blue makes them more readable.

Caeli

The blue works for me. It's a lot easier to see now. :-) Thank you, Veks.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

kylie

Quote from: Haibane(with mild editing)

I found the old layout quite a lot more 'adult'. Its subdued colour scheme and mood suited an adult site more so that this new scheme which feels a little 'light' and simplistic.
So far, I have to agree on this one.  I do understand some people like this style, too.  Personal control of the colors, and if at all possible the fonts, would make it all a less thick argument.

Kurzyk

Quote from: Caeli on November 25, 2009, 04:51:16 PM
The blue works for me. It's a lot easier to see now. :-) Thank you, Veks.

I agree. The colors are much better on the eyes.

Beguile's Mistress

This is beautiful and very easy on the eyes for someone who spends the better portion of each day working at a computer.

Vekseid

Quote from: HoHoHOreo on November 25, 2009, 09:50:18 AM
I was able to scan before. Now I find I have to actually read to find things. It just takes me longer.

Does the current setup work?

Quote from: Vekseid on November 24, 2009, 04:25:59 PM

Alright, I know what is causing the blanking issue, I just have no idea how. It's the javascript code that creates the font face / font size / change color dropdowns. If I disable those, restoring from a crash or clicking forward/back works properly. With them enabled, however, it destroys whatever is in there.

One possible solution would be for us to just make those as new rows of boxes. The other involves actually figuring the code out >_>

Otherwise, I think the first post has a clearer list of what's left to be done - other issues looked like wishlists or misunderstandings. Previews no longer trigger reply checking, they'll catch it when you go to post, and every member in the who's online list is, technically, on-line >_>

Will see about fixing the javascript bugs and start focusing on moving stuff into the style so we can get coloration contests going : )

Izu

I noticed one more thing... When you're looking at Who's Online or at your Bookmarks, there's no link back to the forums at the bottom... It's kinda inconvenient to have to go back up to the top of the page...

And, I hope you're doing better, Veks...

P.S.
I just noticed that there's no such link in the messages either...

Cecilia

Does the "Fix Hotkeys" item include making the "Change color" work as well?  I tried to change colors in a thread and it would get stuck on the last color I used. 

Oreo

Quote from: Vekseid on November 27, 2009, 03:00:36 PM
Does the current setup work?

Alright, I know what is causing the blanking issue, I just have no idea how. It's the javascript code that creates the font face / font size / change color dropdowns. If I disable those, restoring from a crash or clicking forward/back works properly. With them enabled, however, it destroys whatever is in there.

One possible solution would be for us to just make those as new rows of boxes. The other involves actually figuring the code out >_>

Otherwise, I think the first post has a clearer list of what's left to be done - other issues looked like wishlists or misunderstandings. Previews no longer trigger reply checking, they'll catch it when you go to post, and every member in the who's online list is, technically, on-line >_>

Will see about fixing the javascript bugs and start focusing on moving stuff into the style so we can get coloration contests going : )

Yes Veks, having the numbers below the titles is much easier to skim than the names and titles. Thank you.

I noticed the box for moving the threads was fixed as well ;)

Caeli

Quote from: Cecilia on November 27, 2009, 06:10:41 PM
Does the "Fix Hotkeys" item include making the "Change color" work as well?  I tried to change colors in a thread and it would get stuck on the last color I used. 

I have the same problem.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Vekseid

* Vekseid grumbles.

The Javascript blanking issue is purely a Firefox bug. It works properly in IE8, Chrome, Safari, and Opera. Firefox 3 and 3.5 issue, at least : /

Caeli

Quote from: Vekseid on November 30, 2009, 02:28:00 AM
* Vekseid grumbles.

The Javascript blanking issue is purely a Firefox bug. It works properly in IE8, Chrome, Safari, and Opera. Firefox 3 and 3.5 issue, at least : /

Is odd. Usually, Firefox is so good to me. :/

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Vekseid

SMF is using an insane amount of Javascript where little is needed : /

But the only feasible fix involves completely rewriting it. Argh.

kylie

Quote from: Vekseid on November 30, 2009, 02:55:03 AM
SMF is using an insane amount of Javascript where little is needed : /

But the only feasible fix involves completely rewriting it. Argh.
This feels like the classic "silly question" but what parts does Java control? 

I can live for quite some time without the color bar flipping back to default each time I use it, if that's the main thing...  Somehow I have a feeling there's more, though?

Vekseid

Quote from: kylie on November 30, 2009, 04:50:58 AM
     This feels like the classic "silly question" but what parts does Java control? 

I can live for quite some time without the color bar flipping back to default each time I use it, if that's the main thing...  Somehow I have a feeling there's more, though?

I would need to remove the Font Face, Font Size, and Change Color selection boxes entirely.

I could try making buttons of them all, but I suspect that it's actually a buffer issue in Firefox.

Haibane

Quote from: Vekseid on November 27, 2009, 03:00:36 PM

Um. Either solution sounds like a lot of work. Sorry. It trips me up rarely when it does this, but its always a very bad fall when it happens and of course bites harder the longer and more effort I've put into a lost post. If its too much aggro then, please, slide it down the list until you've the time, resources and better health to deal with it.

If it's any consolation I actually type out manually the bbcode for colours, emboldening and italics, etc, I was brought up on Notepad and still find it easier to press the keys that way.

Another solution is that I abandon Firefox and move to another browser, which I don't mind in the least, though not everyone would be aware of this unfortunate feature and some will prefer to keep Firefox.

(edited for typos)

Cecilia

It doesn't work right on Safari either.   If I change the text color once, it works.  If I go back in and select a second color it works.  But, if I try to do several different different selections as one color, it only works on the first time around.   A bit strange.

Trieste

Are you talking about embedding one color into another?

Haibane

In my case its about posts being lost by the 'back' feature failing if I post during the maintenance sessions which are at about 10:30am to 10:45 am my time. In the previous iteration of the site code it was okay. Its not a big deal as it happens rarely but it seems to happen enough that its a bother and I hate losing work.

I often write my posts out in Word and copy/paste them to the reply window but I sometimes forget and that seems to be the time I get hit by the backup thingy. I was so down at losing a post a few days ago I haven't been in the mood to post again in that game.

Cecilia

Quote from: Trieste on November 30, 2009, 09:45:49 AM
Are you talking about embedding one color into another?

No, I'm talking about individual selections.  If I try to turn a word purple, it works.  If I try to turn a second word purple, it doesn't. But I can select any other color and it works.   I can go back and forth.  But, I can't skip a word and get the same color on a second selection.

Butterflykiss

I've been quiet so far, but I would like to say that I love the new look for Elliquiy. It's sleek and pretty, and really goes well with the rest of my MacBook's themes and such~ *my two cents*

I'm hoping to interview some Elliquiy members about their opinions on E's latest updates. This will be for an article on the Ellquian Herald & Post. I'd like to speak to some who have been through a previous Elliquiy update as well as some for whom this is their first update.

Please send me a PM if you'd like to help. We now return to your regularly scheduled thread~

Nadir

I don't know if these issues have been discussed, but I've been encountering some bugs.

I'm crap at useful description, so I have a screenshot showing the two oddnesses epic fail!

(O.O cock)

The first is the signatures sometimes appear on the right side of the post instead of underneath the massage part. I find it quite pretty, so take your time fixing it if you ever decide to. 

The second issue is more important. My 'fro keeps getting sliced off! Look!

Valerian

Look, I'm famous!   ;D

But yes, I've noticed the same problem sometimes myself.  It seems pretty random as to when it happens, though.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Vekseid

Yeah, I saw it too once. Unfortunately, it wasn't what I thought it was.

If you see it, please save the actual page (view source and save it, or something) so I can see the html. Screenshot won't help much.

Trieste

I just sent you page source from a page where the signatures were offset. I don't know if that's what you wanted, but it's in your email.

Beguile's Mistress

Is this part of the Java Script situation with Firefox?

I've been finding backslashes ( \ ) inserted in the message box in front of apostrophes after I hit the preview button in 'My Messages'.  The backslash ( \ ) doesnt show up in the preview unless I click preview again.  Then I have two backslashes ( \\ ) in the message box and one in the preview display. 

This just started today.

I'm currently running Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5 on Vista.

Haibane

Have we changed today to an extra small font? Its weeny and the pages are scrolling much more slowly. Not a biggie, just some feedback.

Vekseid

Shouldn't have - accidentally ctrl + mousewheel?

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on December 01, 2009, 06:15:13 PM

* Oniya has learned something new.  ;D

Beguile's Mistress

Fragile Dreams

Just a small suggestion, though I'm not sure if it's possible, about restoring what was writen in the reply box during a drop, or back/front clicking. Like in Word, there is the Quick Save button, we could have a similar button that we can click and save the current work, so if a failure or a missclick happens, we can re-load the text with a load button. That way, we also keep the Font Face / Font Size / Change Color and we are able to save our work, of course reminding ourselves to save the text.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Vekseid

Quote from: White Christmas Dreams on December 01, 2009, 06:37:17 PM
Just a small suggestion, though I'm not sure if it's possible, about restoring what was writen in the reply box during a drop, or back/front clicking. Like in Word, there is the Quick Save button, we could have a similar button that we can click and save the current work, so if a failure or a missclick happens, we can re-load the text with a load button. That way, we also keep the Font Face / Font Size / Change Color and we are able to save our work, of course reminding ourselves to save the text.

It's a Firefox bug - if it's a major issue, Chrome, IE8, Safari and Opera all work fine.

If I hack in a draft function it will be ajax-based like gmail.

Haibane

Quote from: Vekseid on December 01, 2009, 06:15:13 PM
Oh gawd.... *facepalms*

How come you know so much cool stuff? It's embarrassing!

Fragile Dreams

Okay I went to try my luck in Chrome. It looks okay and shiny... I like how wide open it looks on my laptop, but now I have another problem... in all posts, the signatures are next to the posts, not under them. Any ideas? :/

Edit: I just noticed that is happening to other people signatures except mine.

[tr]
[td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Trieste

It happens often; I see it all the time.

Caeli

A small thing. I noticed that in some of the boards, the smileys don't center themselves vertically within the lines of text. It's fine here, but check the difference:

It usually shows up fine in the previews, too, but once I post, the smileys... er... fall down?
It's not a huge deal (if a bit disconcerting), but I thought I should note it anyway.

This happens in On Topic, in the staff forum, and I'm not sure where else...

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Oniya

I thought that was just the new 'standard' on the smileys.  It was a little strange, but I figured it was Works As Designed.

Haibane

I liked the temporary traditional 'yellow' smileys we had *cries*

Valerian

You can change the smilies in your profile, under "Look and Layout".  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Haibane

*hugs Valerian in an extremely improper manner*

Valerian

*blushes furiously*  Glad to help!  *hugs*
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Will

Quote from: Valerian on December 02, 2009, 01:30:36 PM
You can change the smilies in your profile, under "Look and Layout".  :)

I had no idea!  Thank you very much, Valerian. :)

I also thought the "subscript" smilies were normal.  I haven't noticed them looking any other way, anywhere.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oreo

Butterflykiss

I noticed this today. When I was sending a PM, I tried to float an image within the message, and the image actually dropped out of the message box entirely down into the editing box.

Here's an example:

EDIT:: This one's minor, but sometimes the "Cry" smiley doesn't auto itself.

Example:

Trieste

*finds herself trying to name all the Princesses and finds herself stuck on the last one on the left ... Mulan?*

jouzinka

Bigger version...

Isn't it Jasmine, Aladin's gal?

Beguile's Mistress

Oniya

Quote from: jouzinka on December 03, 2009, 02:35:02 PM

Bigger version...

Jasmine's second from the right.  (And I didn't have to consult the 8-year-old! *giggle*)

Trieste

Quote from: jouzinka on December 03, 2009, 02:35:02 PM

Nope, Jaz is on the right. From left to right it's: Mulan, Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel (The Little Mermaid), Belle (Beauty and the Beast), Jasmine, and Aurora (Sleeping Beauty).

Thanks, Mistress!

... *pauses at the honorific, shrugs, hits post anyway*  ;D

jouzinka

*facepalm* I actually meant the second one from the right. Bad reading and left&right confusion... blond day. XD

Autumn Sativus

I'm still having issues with signatures beside instead of under posts, and stretching pages like mad...
Us against the world

Kip

Quote from: Saffron on December 05, 2009, 04:53:31 PM
I'm still having issues with signatures beside instead of under posts, and stretching pages like mad...

Saff - are you using Chrome?  Is it linked to this?.

I think Vekls said it had been put on the buglist for SMF.

~Jay Brannan~

~Mohinder Suresh~

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Kip, the Elliquiy Elf on December 05, 2009, 05:31:24 PM
Saff - are you using Chrome?  Is it linked to this?.

I think Vekls said it had been put on the buglist for SMF.
No, I'm using Safari
Us against the world

grdell

I'm having significant issues with the site when I try to access it from work. Admittedly, I'm only using IE 6 at work (I wish they'd let us upgrade!), but we've got a good strong connection...

First, the formatting is all messed up with images piling on top of other images and indents all whacked out.

Second, when I try to post, I get all kinds of "session verification" and "session timeout" errors.

I'm thinking of upgrading one of my computers (at work) to IE 7 or 8, and to hell with the consequences. Would that fix the issues?
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Beguile's Mistress

This is what I typed in the New Message text box.

What's new?  What's happening?  I don't know.  We're not here.  Aren't you going?

This is what the text looks like after I click Preview.  The text in the Preview box is fine.

What\'s new?  What\'s happening?  I don\'t know.  We\'re not here.  Aren\'t you going?

This is what happens when I click Preview again.  The text in the Preview box has single slashes.

What\\'s new?  What\\'s happening?  I don\\'t know.  We\\'re not here.  Aren\\'t you going?

Each time I click the Preview button I get new slashes added.  I'm using Firefox.  Any advice?

Vekseid

Vekseid

Quote from: grdell on December 13, 2009, 12:01:39 PM
I'm having significant issues with the site when I try to access it from work. Admittedly, I'm only using IE 6 at work (I wish they'd let us upgrade!), but we've got a good strong connection...

First, the formatting is all messed up with images piling on top of other images and indents all whacked out.

Second, when I try to post, I get all kinds of "session verification" and "session timeout" errors.

I'm thinking of upgrading one of my computers (at work) to IE 7 or 8, and to hell with the consequences. Would that fix the issues?

Gah, I can't even get the Internet Explorer collection to work properly ATM. It mostly works as per the IE collection, but I know that's not very faithful to some of IE 6's quirks, especially with me running XP 64.

Session timeouts may have to do with your cookies and cookie settings - try putting elliquiy.com in your trusted zone.

Quote from: Beguiling Christmas Angel on December 13, 2009, 12:16:23 PM
This is what I typed in the New Message text box.

What's new?  What's happening?  I don't know.  We're not here.  Aren't you going?

This is what the text looks like after I click Preview.  The text in the Preview box is fine.

What\'s new?  What\'s happening?  I don\'t know.  We\'re not here.  Aren\'t you going?

This is what happens when I click Preview again.  The text in the Preview box has single slashes.

What\\'s new?  What\\'s happening?  I don\\'t know.  We\\'re not here.  Aren\\'t you going?

Each time I click the Preview button I get new slashes added.  I'm using Firefox.  Any advice?

I'm not getting it, but I see where it's probably coming from. I'll file a bug.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Vekseid on December 13, 2009, 02:56:44 PM
I'm not getting it, but I see where it's probably coming from. I'll file a bug.

Thanks.  I wasn't such a problem until I was PMing about a story and kept forgetting to remove the slashes or forgot to not use contractions.  I'm a big fan of contractions if you haven't noticed.

grdell

Quote from: Vekseid on December 13, 2009, 02:56:44 PM
Gah, I can't even get the Internet Explorer collection to work properly ATM. It mostly works as per the IE collection, but I know that's not very faithful to some of IE 6's quirks, especially with me running XP 64.

Session timeouts may have to do with your cookies and cookie settings - try putting elliquiy.com in your trusted zone.

Upgraded to IE7, which fixed the formatting problem. Added Elliquiy to trusted sites, but still get the timeout problem.
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Vekseid

Hm. Anything for privacy at all? Can you tell if Elliquiy's session cookie is actually getting set? How about your computer's clock?

Cecilia

A few times now, I've used quick-reply and hit post, only to have it disappear on me entirely.  IT appears to happen when someone else posts at the same time, but I don't get the usual red warning about someone else posting.

Vekseid

Quote from: Cecilia on December 15, 2009, 12:53:08 AM
A few times now, I've used quick-reply and hit post, only to have it disappear on me entirely.  IT appears to happen when someone else posts at the same time, but I don't get the usual red warning about someone else posting.

...let me know if they magically reappear all of the 'sudden'.

I think, sadly, it's time that I stopped looking forward to SMF and just moved on : /

Cecilia

This happened again just now, and by chance I thought to hit the back arrow on my browser.  It actually appeared with the red warning "someone just posted".   A sort of strange bug?  If two people hit post at the same time one of the posts seems to completely disappear, but when you go back it reappears.  *poof*

kylie

I have been connecting with Firefox forever now with practically no problem at all.  Right now, I cannot log in with it at all.  It says,

"You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings."

This happens regardless of whether I start out with http or https.  I have confirmed I have the right password (thus I'm able to get in with IE8).  I'm on Win XP SP 3, same machine as all year.

Oniya

Seems to be a transitory issue.  I had that problem earlier where it said I wasn't logged in, or couldn't log in (similar setup).  The login button/password towards the top of the screen worked where the one in the center of the screen (associated with the error message) did not.

Lilias

While I was logged out twice today (the second time even not accepting my saved password until I had retyped it), which is odd, considering the 'always' box was and remains ticked.
~Wendell Berry

kylie

Quote from: Oniya on December 21, 2009, 10:35:44 AM
Seems to be a transitory issue.  I had that problem earlier where it said I wasn't logged in, or couldn't log in (similar setup).  The login button/password towards the top of the screen worked where the one in the center of the screen (associated with the error message) did not.
Thanks for answering, but neither of those buttons is working for me at the moment.

Btw, I also checked the Firefox cookie setting.  It's accepting them until they expire.  I don't believe I've touched it in ages, either.  Haven't changed or installed anything dramatic that I can think of recently; I was on with Firefox not long ago. 

Torch

Quote from: Only Mostly Naughty on December 21, 2009, 10:38:48 AM
While I was logged out twice today (the second time even not accepting my saved password until I had retyped it), which is odd, considering the 'always' box was and remains ticked.

Ditto. Same thing happened to me this morning. More odd than annoying.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

On's and Off's

Beguile's Mistress

I had the same issues three times this morning, once when trying to preview a post, and twice when trying to open a thread.  It happened on two different computers and while trying to log back in on both computers I received a password error message for the stored password on the computer.  I hadn't changed the stored password.  It just wouldn't work.

kylie

Is it all happening when using Firefox, or does this happen with other browsers too?

Torch

Quote from: kylie on December 21, 2009, 10:48:29 AM
     Is it all happening when using Firefox, or does this happen with other browsers too?

Using Firefox here. 

On's and Off's

Beguile's Mistress

Lilias

So do I. But I'm tempted to load up Chrome as well, to see how that one reacts.
~Wendell Berry

Vekseid

Quote from: Only Mostly Naughty on December 21, 2009, 10:38:48 AM

Those were my fault. Shouldn't happen again, really, but will see : /

Quote from: Beguiling Christmas Angel on December 21, 2009, 10:46:40 AM
I had the same issues three times this morning, once when trying to preview a post, and twice when trying to open a thread.  It happened on two different computers and while trying to log back in on both computers I received a password error message for the stored password on the computer.  I hadn't changed the stored password.  It just wouldn't work.

Stored passwords might not (the way logging in is setup by default, you don't even send your password with javascript enabled). If you're having issues, I would recommend clearing all elliquiy.com cookies from your browser, as well as any Elliquiy specific stored passwords, and any cache. You will need to restart your browser.

kylie

If you're having issues, I would recommend clearing all elliquiy.com cookies from your browser, as well as any Elliquiy specific stored passwords, and any cache. You will need to restart your browser.
Just tried that.  It doesn't seem to be resolving it at the moment.

Beguile's Mistress

Vekseid

Quote from: kylie on December 21, 2009, 11:00:10 AM
     Just tried that.  It doesn't seem to be resolving it at the moment.

Which specific version of Firefox are you using?

In 3.5, you will want to be sure to clear everything non-Cookie related, not just the last hour, and including site preferences, browsing history, and cache. Then under tools -> Options -> Privacy, click on show cookies, then delete the Elliquiy.com specific ones. Then under the security tab, check and remove any Elliquiy specific passwords you've saved.

kylie

Doh, I'm sorry.  I missed the part about cookies the first time.  Now it's working again.

And in the process I learned that Firefox has site-specific cookie folders.  Yay.  :-)

Thanks for catching this!  Maybe someone else can use the added explanation.  8-)

kylie

Which specific version of Firefox are you using?
Yeah, btw it's Firefox 3.5.6.

Skye

Yay, referral links are back up! -goes to impose it on my offsite friends-
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Vandren

I'm getting another funky one:

I go into Elluiki and click on Special Pages -> Uncategorized Files then choose a new file (in order to add a category to it).  When I click on the file link, I get bumped over to the Elliquiy main page (elliquiy.com).

Win XP, Firefox 3.5.6
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Skye

Quote from: Vandren on December 21, 2009, 06:33:16 PM

I go into Elluiki and click on Special Pages -> Uncategorized Files then choose a new file (in order to add a category to it).  When I click on the file link, I get bumped over to the Elliquiy main page (elliquiy.com).

Win XP, Firefox 3.5.6

That happened to me too. Right after I uploaded a profile picture, it bumped me to the main page.
[tr][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]

Vekseid

Found the 'bug'

Still working on fixing it : / Slightly annoying.

Vekseid

Quote from: Vandren on December 21, 2009, 06:33:16 PM

Win XP, Firefox 3.5.6

Okay, should be working now : )

Vandren

"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei