Jaeger Rising - A Pacific Rim interest check

Started by Primarch, July 24, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ember Star

Quote from: evangel on July 25, 2013, 11:57:15 AM
Sounds good to me. We can always have the Kaiju poke into the Jaeger's head and have a mid-fight snack if someone doesn't post after a week or something.
I'd give them longer than a week and actually pm them before killing their character off. Character kill off should only be used in extreme cases, in my opinion. NPCing their character for at least a couple of weeks first is always best.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

evangel

Better ideas than mine. Please excuse my brashness, I'm a bit too willing to have us all die heroic deaths.  ;)

On a side note, I may be thinking too far ahead but when using our Jaegers, will we be able to use the already established names like Chrome Brutus/Solar Prophet and attach them to unrelated machines?

TheGlyphstone

And a side benefit of the Player 1- Kaiju-Player 2-Kaiju rotation, as opposed to the Player 1-Player 2-Kaiju-Player 1-Player 2-Kaiju rotation is that if Player 2 suddenly stops posting, Player 1 can just take all the Jaeger actions, and if they're not back by the time the fight is over/the next fight is started, they can be dropped and replaced.

evangel

Yeah. The remaining player can decide if he or she will shoulder the neural load alone or NPC the actions of the other half. Keeps it interesting either way.

Revenent

Quote from: Ember Star on July 25, 2013, 11:52:51 AM
I'll be playing a female and can play bi, straight, or lesbian. 

I could play a gay or straight male, I just usually don't on E because of the possibility of sexual content and my inexperienced playing males beyond flirting and kissing.

Rev, you wanna partner with me since we know each other?

Works for me.

I'm willing to play either gender of any orientation, so I'd be willing to just wait and see what other people do first. And I'm agreeable with the ideas stated so far about people who disappear, though if we do go for an in-fight death at any point, remember, only two Rangers were ever able to control a Jaeger solo. :P

Ember Star

Quote from: Revenent on July 25, 2013, 12:15:55 PM
Works for me.

I'm willing to play either gender of any orientation, so I'd be willing to just wait and see what other people do first. And I'm agreeable with the ideas stated so far about people who disappear, though if we do go for an in-fight death at any point, remember, only two Rangers were ever able to control a Jaeger solo. :P
*nods* I was thinking about that too, and one of them was left with problems because of it.

What country did you wanna be from?
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

evangel

Nuts. I forgot about the only two rangers ever thing. Also, this may be handy for you guys.

http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Shatterdome List of Shatterdomes and their brief descriptions. I don't know how close to canon we want to stick, but this has the locations and jurisdictions. ... On that note, I wonder if we should all be based on the same base? We do have eight people, and if we're all Rangers then that's four Jaegers. I think we could stretch it for one base to hold all of us, to let people interact with each other regularly.

Primarch

Quote from: evangel on July 25, 2013, 12:04:12 PM
On a side note, I may be thinking too far ahead but when using our Jaegers, will we be able to use the already established names like Chrome Brutus/Solar Prophet and attach them to unrelated machines?

No.

Quote from: evangel on July 25, 2013, 12:28:39 PM
http://pacificrim.wikia.com/wiki/Shatterdome List of Shatterdomes and their brief descriptions. I don't know how close to canon we want to stick, but this has the locations and jurisdictions. ... On that note, I wonder if we should all be based on the same base? We do have eight people, and if we're all Rangers then that's four Jaegers. I think we could stretch it for one base to hold all of us, to let people interact with each other regularly.

Good idea. I rather like being based in Australia. Opinions?

On another note, CS is in OP. Also people might enjoy:
http://apps.warnerbros.com/pacificrim/designer/us/
You can use the above to design Jaegers! Its a touch basic, but you know.

TheGlyphstone

I'd vote for Los Angeles, mainly cause MURICA. :-) I'm not ardent about it though, the only Shatterdome I don't think I'd enjoy would be Anchorage. Too cold.

Worth noting that Hong Kong, Anchorage, Vladivostok, and Sydney each hosted at least one canon Jaeger from the movie, so if we want to really tell our own story without the 'hero' Jaegers looming over us, going somewhere else could be to benefit.

Yukina

Revenent

I'm fine with any country, Ember.

And I'm leaning toward LA or Tokyo if we don't want the main four to interfere.

Primarch

I can't recall the last time I did an RP in Tokyo. I'll amend my vote to Australia as my prime, second Tokyo.

On another note, randomised Ranger pairings incoming.

evangel

Not Anchorage or Vladivostok for the same reasons as Glyphstone - too cold! I don't think there will be much fun things to do outside the base either. If we do go to Australia, I don't think we'll have to worry about Striker Eureka's achievements running around ours as it was deployed November 2019, and our story begins in 2018. Plus, we don't have to be from Australia ourselves and it could be fun being tourists having to protect the Sydney Opera House.

I vote for Australia or Tokyo!

Primarch

Teams are up in the OP, if people want to switch or organise something different just let me know.
Votes for Shatterdome location also in. 

Ember Star

Sydney would be fun and different, but I'm kinda leaning towards Tokyo because I like Japan and the whole "cannon interference" thing. Either way, I'm leaning towards an Asian character. Although I've never played Asian outside of anime settings o.o

Primarch

Quote from: Ember Star on July 25, 2013, 01:25:42 PM
Sydney would be fun and different, but I'm kinda leaning towards Tokyo because I like Japan and the whole "cannon interference" thing. Either way, I'm leaning towards an Asian character. Although I've never played Asian outside of anime settings o.o

I'll put down a vote for both locations, as two votes appears to be how it unfolded. Tokyo is currently in the lead, with Australia & America tying in second.

Yukina

Quote from: Primarch on July 25, 2013, 01:23:53 PM
Teams are up in the OP, if people want to switch or organise something different just let me know.
Votes for Shatterdome location also in.

I might want to be on a different team then PalidanZenaku's. He only seemed to ask one question in the thread and hasn't had another post in it. In other words, it makes me question if he's actually showing interest to join.

Primarch

Quote from: Yugishogun on July 25, 2013, 01:38:48 PM
I might want to be on a different team then PalidanZenaku's. He only seemed to ask one question in the thread and hasn't had another post in it. In other words, it makes me question if he's actually showing interest to join.

Fair point. We'll give it a little time to see if he confirms one way or another, we'll continue recruitment regardless and if he doesn't get involved we'll put the next person to join on your team to replace Palidan.

Yukina

Quote from: Primarch on July 25, 2013, 01:41:27 PM
Fair point. We'll give it a little time to see if he confirms one way or another, we'll continue recruitment regardless and if he doesn't get involved we'll put the next person to join on your team to replace Palidan.

*nods* Thank you for understanding.

TheGlyphstone

Well, at least I have a good guarantee my partner won't vanish...or if they do, it means the whole thing is over anyways. :D

EDIT: Oh, and to obliquely try and make a case for LA, Onibaba did wreck the crap out of Tokyo in 2016, a few years before current-day. So whether it's a good choice or not depends on how much off-base activity we want to be doing...I don't doubt there are people still living there, but it's likely still devastated to some degree.

evangel

So Japan has pumped out pretty sweet fan-art of Pacific Rim. Quite a few involving cool redesigns or originals that I think would fit the RP as designs we could use for Jaegers. Click the image for the link to the original art, and click again there for higher resolutions.

#1 - SuwaLake Rim by Zounose.

#2 - Pacific Rim by sys.

#3 - KNIFEHEAD Level5!! by 珍緑@C84日曜M-43a委託.

#4 - イェーガー by Sabum.

Revenent

Quote from: Yugishogun on July 25, 2013, 01:38:48 PM

He'll be here. I'm with him in another RP, and he's quite reliable there.

Primarch

Quote from: Revenent on July 25, 2013, 02:15:50 PM
He'll be here. I'm with him in another RP, and he's quite reliable there.

Excellent. On another hand I'd advise Drift-Partners to start PM-ing to work on coming up with a Jaeger.

Yukina

I get to work on my character sheet as soon as I can return to my main computer. (So basically in an hour or so.)

Primarch

When you are considering which Mark you want your Jaeger, later models will likely be faster/stronger, but the older models will have more experienced pilots and (likely) Kaiju kills.