Aveline: Steampunk Fantasy Pathfinder: Recruiting Closed

Started by eBadger, September 05, 2014, 02:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

KirbysFolly

There's three NPCs posted in the second post now. One of them is the captain. Not sure if you'd seen them or not.

eBadger

Doh!  Yeah, put up those NPC's a couple days ago for ya.  Let me know if you need anything else, I'm still tweaking a few details. 

Quote from: KirbysFolly on September 09, 2014, 12:11:45 AM
Paige

Great write up!!!

KirbysFolly

Thanks! I wasn't super-detailed on her personality, because I find they develop way better for me in play than they do beforehand, no matter how much I try.

OyabunKobold

So I am sitting down and finishing my sheet atm going to submit it here in about an hour or two depending on how long it takes to get the background finished. Would you prefer PM or should I post it here like the rest?

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0
Current Roleplay capacity 0/0

eBadger

Sweet!  Submitting it here is easiest for future reference, unless you have something you'd prefer to keep private. 

OyabunKobold

Sheet: Rachael Roth

Background
Rachael was born in Aveline in one of the overcrowded slums. Her mom is and was at the time merely a peasant to the industrial city and got by with barely enough food for the four children leaving them to mostly have to fend for themselves. This lead to her two older female siblings to sell themselves to outside their parents knowledge to get some extra money. Her older brother though joined in the excursions down to the surface with his father. As a child of such poor standing Rachael had it rough being picked on and bullied by the others around for her scrawny stature. This served to toughen her skin though as she slowly fought back making a name for herself as a troublemaker.

As she grew and her mother enrolled her in the school of the slums she met a girl much smarter than others about the area. She was the first real friend that Rachael had and together they made quite the team. She dulled the troublemaker portion of Rachael's personality as a child and helped mold it into the battlefield tactician she is today. The two were inseparable until they got transferred to separate schools. Well Her friend got transferred Rachel got drafted. Her father had recently been killed on the surface by a horde of undead causing Rachel's hardened exterior to show once more and she made her way to the militia to sign up. Being taught Gun bow and blade there she slowly started to raise through the ranks. Her commander pleased with her progress entered her into the ranger program where she had a much harder time excelling and made a rival.

The man in question looked down on her when she got there and was assigned at the time her trainer. Being the more experienced of the two he pulled the seniority card every chance he got. She became the spotter while he gained all the glory for the kills that wouldn't have happened if not for her. Eventually she got fed up and started to bide her time till they went to the surface. Waiting for the opportune time she watched as a raid got ever closer before it became too late for them. She got away from the battle sans an eye whereas he did not. He ordered her to go seek help for him as she escaped the enemies lying dead around them and she nodded. She made it back to the group and when the group asked she told them that he hadn't made it leaving him wounded to die on the surface. Afterwards she was awarded a sword of great quality to replace the one she lost and wrote to the family telling them that their son had died in battle valiantly allowing the group to escape.

Afterwards there was nothing said about the issue she felt relieved to be rid of such an insufferable prideful man and eventually found her academic friend. Apparently she had gone towards the more science field of wizardry and was off on leave. Glad to see her friend again she took the woman out for a drink before smiling fondly as she had to be carried back to the apartment for the night too inebriated to walk. The next morning when she awoke still clung to Rachael who was sleeping enjoying her time off she was surprised at first. It didn't last long apparently as Rachael awoke to the warm soft lips of the wizard pressed against her own. They eventually had to go back to their lives but kept in contact through pen and mail.

Rachael continued to flourish under the tutelage of the rangers and got another leave of absence during one of the festivals. While there she happened upon a artisans stall filled with quite a few works of art. Finding a bow she particularly liked she blanched a bit at the price. Not being one to give up though she sauntered over to the stall keeper and proceeded to flirt with him until he finally caved letting the Composite bow go for a much lower price than advertised. By the time he had realized what she had done she had left feeling a bit bad about cheating the man out of some money. It wasn't until later that she went back buying some arrows from the same man that she handed him a parcel. Walking out her  quivers full the man opened the package to find a good deal of money inside along with a note of thanks. The bow had saved her life more than once on the surface.

Eventually she left the Rangers and decided to become a Mercenary for hire. The captain of a ship procuring her services for the thing she enjoyed most. Going down to the surface where the real challenge is. The life and death struggle where men were made men and those who didn't follow the worlds rules ceased breathing.

Description
Rachael is a rugged woman quite experienced in the art of gathering the energy from the souls of the world below. The expeditions she went on in the past weren't always cut and dry though. The creatures from below the ash are fearsome. One still holds her eye as she was unable to kill the beast before escaping barely with her life. To those who have journeyed with her before they know of her rough demeanor and her sharp gaze. The scars about her body each tell a story and her fragile memories of a simpler time shatter and disappear with each expedition. Her one good eye has been known to at times turn slitted and shes able to see quite well in lower lit venues.

Slightly larger picture

Personality
Rachael above all else is a shrewd tactician. A bit eager to fight but all the more ready to back her claims up. She's honest to a degree but cross her and you meet a demon. Her reserved speech patterns add a bit to the mystique. She leaves the talking to those more suited to the task of diplomacy unless the diplomatic solution is an arrow in the throat or a blade in the stomach.

Everything should be in order let me know otherwise if there's things i need to fix.

Getting hired
Rachael smiled as she nursed a bit of her Brandy. Another successful excursion down to the surface brought back quite a few rewards and thus she had to buy some more batteries for the next time she went down. She had yet to find the Horde that had killed her father. Something she was eager to do now that she was a free agent her pride demanded revenge but the fickle hand of fate kept her from getting it. She gazed about the tavern while she sipped on the drink slightly tipsy at this point before a soft cough sounded behind her. Turning a bit to see a somewhat younger looking man behind her she gazed at him a bit curiously. "G`day to you m`lady I am Everett Branwaithe apprentice Engineer for the grand Melancholy Zephyr. My good captain has heard of your exploits down on the surface and would like to requisition you as part of the crew. We are in need of a Expedition guard and you my fine lass have the experience for such an endeavor." The boy smiled a bit obviously trying his best to keep it short and sweet to the point something Rachael picked up on as she grunted and nodded a bit slightly. "I'll think about accompanying you back to the ship if you'll do something for me. Share a drink with me and explain to me about the expedition and Ill follow you back." She smiled as the boy seemed almost uncomfortable at the prospect of drinking but eventually agreed. By the first cup of rum he was coughing a bit new to the taste but put on a good show of at least attempting. By the third cup he was drunk and to the point of babbling and hiccuping a bit at times. The sight amused Rachael and she nodded finally agreeing to join. She helped support the boy as he led her back to the ship which was something to behold, A thing of beauty really. Smiling as his talking had been going for nonstop the whole way she chuckled ruffling his hair slightly. Sometimes it was nice to see what people were like with a bit of inhibition gone the boy was cute. She could see why others though might not enjoy his constant talking but to her it didn't bother. She first led him back to his quarters gaining a slightly admonishing look from the crew as she did so, apparently something was wrong with getting a boy drunk but she cared little for their thoughts. Afterwards she made her way to the where the captain was located to go over a few of the minor details like pay and the like.

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0

Chulanowa

Mharni Keddle
Race: Human
Class: Alchemist (Chirurgeon / Vivisectionist)

Mharni grew up in the slums of aveline, where disease, death, and things worse than that wererampant. Though not born an only child, she ended up that way when the onset of black fever swept through the lower classes of the city some years ago. Her survival was no miracle though; her parents had scrounged what little silver they had to seek a cure, any cure, other than the benedictions of the priesthood; Three vials of potion cost them their savings, and the promise of their service. Mharni was that service. After the plague wound down, she went into training with the strange man in his alley workshop as an apprentice.

Apothecary. Cutter. Leech-man. Autopsist. So many terms for those who fell between the respectable profession of "doctor" and the still-circumspect term "alchemist." Whatever the term you use, Mharni learned her trade from the old man. How bodies work, inside and out, what chemicals are cure and which are causative. How to put back together that which has been severed, and the different ways the different races are put together.

It was good training, and Mharni found good work - as a battlefield medic. The great wars may be past, but the fights still happen, men and women still die, and there needs to be someone who can take off a gangrenous foot, poultice the gas burns, or just slap a cure-all tonic down someone's throat in a pinch.

Personality
Very little shocks Mharni anymore. If she's a little ground-down, a little bit prone to a thousand-yard stare, what of it? She's a professional, and odds are she's seen your problem before - or at least something close to it. Of course this visage of unflappable demeanor and droll, snide remarks is something of a cover; she's a young woman with a good heart who sees a lot of horrible things, but it's just best to not be seen as vulnerable.

Description
Mharni's a plain-looking woman, with an oval face, brown eyes and dark hair kept in a short braid. She's rarely seen without some accoutrements ofh er profession - a bandolier of vials, her cirugeon's kid, or even just the splash-goggles. She walks tall and with swagger, knowing she's going to be the most capable person in a situation. It takes a hell of a shock to make the unlit cigarillo vall from the corner of her mouth where she keeps it.

The sheet isn't 100% done - I haven't filled out skills, feats, or equipment. The idea behind her is pretty plain - battlefield medic, whether with a CLW infusion / potion, or a bonesaw and a splash of brandy. Understands anatomy well enough to tear things up in combat as well.

Green Goo Theory

Working on an adaptation of a semi-existing character of mine (I've built it several times but never got to play it).  A human alchemist raised by gnomes (there's a racial variant thing for it).  But I wanted to go with the Master chymist prestige class.  Since it specifically cites gender in the transformation I was thinking of the Dr Jekyll/Misses Hyde type of thing or vise-verse.  And going that route too means a mostly melee/buff orientated Alchemist so I won't feel bad for possibly stepping on Chulanowa's toes.

Yes, I did read the opening post about not caring about redundant classes.  That's just my own personal thing. 
Coming soon...

eBadger

Both of those characters look great so far!

Quote from: OyabunKyuubi on September 09, 2014, 07:56:51 PM
Everything should be in order let me know otherwise if there's things i need to fix.

The only thing I see missing is a short intro/narrative (I will be rolling these into the first post of the game, to get things moving along)

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on September 09, 2014, 10:42:23 PMWorking on an adaptation of a semi-existing character of mine (I've built it several times but never got to play it).  A human alchemist raised by gnomes (there's a racial variant thing for it).  But I wanted to go with the Master chymist prestige class.

Feel free to add some appearance/personality changing as fluff, but keep in mind that peeps are level 3 - prestige classes are well in the future if ever. 

OyabunKobold

Ah i see well Ill edit that post and add in the introduction :3.

EDIT: and there you go Rachael's introduction post ;)

Jaded

Hopefully I didn't miss anything, though I did rush through the creation a bit.

This character was made hoping that I can use the Sniper archetype, and that I can apply its features to firearms.

Sheet
Name: Savina Yvette
Level 3 Human Rogue (Sniper)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

STR: 12 (+1)  INT: 14 (+2)
DEX: 20 (+5)  WIS:  8 (-1)
CON:  7 (-2)  CHA: 12 (+1)

HP: 18
BAB: +2
Fort -1, Ref +8, Will +0
AC: 18, flat 13, touch 15

SKILLS
Ranked
Acrobatics +11, Appraise +8, Bluff +7, Craft (Alchemy) +8, Disable Device +11
Disguise +7, Escape Artist +11, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5, Sleight of Hand +11
Stealth +11, Use Magic Device +7

FEATS
Martial Weapon Proficiency (Firearms)
Point-Blank Shot
Rapid Reload (Musket, double-barreled)
Weapon Finesse

CLASS
Sneak Attack +2d6: when opponent denied dex to AC or flanked, do additional damage.  Within 40 feet.
Accuracy: Halves all range increment penalties.
Evasion: If successful saving throw would allow half damage, she takes none.
Rogue Talent: Finesse Rogue
Deadly Range: +10 feet for sneak attack range.

TRAITS
Hidden Hand: +1 trait bonus on sleight of hand to conceal light weapons,
             +1 trait bonus on attack rolls using a light weapon in surprise round.
Mercenary: +2 trait bonus on diplomacy, intimidate, and sense motive made while negotiating payment

EQUIPMENT
Masterwork Double-Barreled Musket (+8, 1d12, x4, 40 ft', 1-3 (ft.), 2 capacity)
  10 Alchemical Cartridges, Paper (Bullet)
Shortsword (+7, 1d6+1, 19-20/x2)
Dagger (+7, 1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Dagger (+7, 1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Studded Leather (+3, +5dex, -1)
Thieves' Tools
Bandolier
Caltrops
Powder Horn
Rope (50ft.)
Oil (1sp)
Torch x5
Flint and Steel
Waterskin
Wrist Sheath x2
Whetstone
Backpack
Traveler's Outfit
Traveler's Outfit
Toiletries
Simple writing gear
Two days of rations
Bedroll
Canteen
Tinderbox
Gas mask

1 GP, 4 SP, 3 CP

Background
Savina is, before anything else, a mercenary.  There are two things she lives for.  The first is money and the dream of making enough to retire in comfort.  The second is the thrill of adventure and combat.  Morals, in her opinion, are for those who have already made it.  While she’d prefer not to do evil, money comes first. 

The earliest years of Savina’s life are a hazy fog of poverty and crime.  She can’t really remember her parents, just an Aunt Lilyana who gave her a place to sleep, even if it was just a worn blanket on a wooden floor, and a few bites to eat.  Savina was left to her own devices otherwise, and spent her days stealing and begging.

It was only when she was older that Savina realized that, if she didn’t want to end up being a whore, she’d have to do something with her life.  She had a few skills, just enough to get a job with a local who was hiring mercenaries.  She didn’t know what the job was, she didn’t care.  It was money, and it allowed her to improve her skills. 

The next few years of Savina’s life were spent working for various thugs and merchants, men who hired the scum of the city to do their dirty work.  It was a rough time for Savina, but she found herself thriving.  She made money, gained a reputation, and was finally able to move up in the world.

Savina’s prized possession is ‘Fang’ her masterfully crafted double-barrelled musket.  She used every copper she had made in years of work, plus a few she had to borrow, to purchase the weapon.  She doesn’t let anyone else touch it, let alone use it, and would rather have her hands cut off than part with it. 

To Savina, working with Captain Marylebone is just one more job.  She’s there because she is being paid.  If she doesn’t get paid, well, there is probably something she can take in payment. 

Savina is rarely cheerful, but she does have a sense of humour.  She can be quiet or talkative depending on her mood, which often changes in an instant.  Business is her preferred topic of conversation, followed by firearms, and finally wealth. 

Introduction
Savina had her backpack slung over one shoulder, her firearm over the other.  She travelled light, though she would have much preferred to have a keg of black-powder along, she knew that mobility was key to survival in her line of work.  She had a shortsword slapping against her thigh as she walked, and a careful observer might have noticed the bulge of a dagger beneath the leather bracers she wore on each of her arms.  On her head was her gasmask, ready to be yanked down at a moment’s notice.  Around her waist was a bandolier filled with small cartridges of paper.  She was, technically, wearing armour, but the amount of cleavage it showed was a bit more suited to a brothel than a battlefield.  It was a conscious choice.  The bare skin might distract an opponent, while the leather likely wouldn’t stop a bullet. 

The airship was different from any place she’d ever worked before, but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing.  She had had her fill of under the table jobs that paid a pittance.  She was moving up in the world, and this was the start.  She didn’t pause as she headed up the gangplank and onto the ship, they knew she was coming and, if they didn’t, that wasn’t her problem.  She gave a polite nod to anyone she made eye contact with, but was more focused on the ship itself.  Was there good cover?  Good escape routes? 

“You!”  Savina suddenly boomed once she was on the deck, her hand outstretched and pointing at what looked to be a low ranking crewman going about some mundane task.  “Where is my bunk?”  When she got her answer, she turned and headed below.  She tossed her pack on an upper bunk, then turned and headed back up onto deck.  She wanted to observer the crew, see how they worked, and how they interacted.  She took a position near one railing and slumped down onto her ass, her firearm cradled in her lap as she gently cleaned and oiled it. 

eBadger

TheGlyphstone

eBadger

VonDoom

I'd love to submit a character still (and did denote interest to begin with), but I'm starting to realize that 2 group games and 7 1:1s concurrently may be just about my limit to keep track of. Sorry. :-\

If a slot opens up again and some of my current ones have gone inactive or (hopefully!) gotten finished by then, I'd definitely appreciate a chance at that.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

TheGlyphstone

Initial post updated with intro paragraphs, so I'm all set.