Looking for GM (and group) for Fight! the Fighting Game RPG 2nd edition!

Started by Thufir Hawat, May 02, 2020, 04:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thufir Hawat

I've posted a thread with a rather different premise[/] as well. If you want to offer me a game like specified in this thread, though, feel free to :P!
Or you could take a look at this thread.

I've been a fan of fighting games (mostly 3D fighting games) since...well, since before high school, and that's a long time in my case >:)!
So, I decided that I'd like to play in such a game. Thus, unlike [url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=318624.0]my other thread
this one won't focus on a setting, but on the genre and system I'd like to play! (Yes, using a system is mandatory, if you want me to play in such a game). But basically, I just want to play a game centered about characters from different backgrounds, dressed in mostly impractical (and mostly provocative) outfits, which clash with enough force to shake the Pillars of Heavens...and after suffering the punishment, the loser gets up for Round Two!

Now, since I know of no better option* than Fight! the Fighting Game RPG 2e, I'm looking for someone to run a game of it for me and whoever else is interested! If you'd agree to also use the 3D rules (which are in the book), I'd like that even more!
There might be a tournament or not. And the rest of the setting is up to the GM (though I'd prefer something set in the modern age, that's not a hard requirement).

But if you have an idea about using a different system...well, never hurts to pitch it, does it? (About the only option I'd shoot down in advance is anything based on d20. Yes, that includes M&M).

What else should I say? Ah well, some pictures wouldn't hurt :P!

Pictures

*Yes, I'm familiar with Musha Shugyo RPG, Thrash, Celestial Warriors and few other games that strive to emulate fighting games. I said "better". You can argue that Musha Shugyo is better after accounting for the amount of rules, but Fight! 2e is definitely the better fighting game emulator overall. YMMV.
Note: I have the entire 1e of F!tFG RGP. If anyone that doesn't have 2e wants to run 1e, I'd be fine as well. No edition warring in this thread, please ;D!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

TheSithChicken

Another great system for fighting games (besides Street Fighter) is Shonen Burst. It's a very interesting system with a cool way of customizing characters fighting styles. Gurps 3e with the Martial Arts book is surprisingly good for this kind of thing. Also I would be interested in a Fighting Genre game.

Thufir Hawat

Shonen Burst uses cards. Thus, I'm not sure how you would use it on a forum (and no, D52/D104 isn't an adequate substitute).
GURPS Martial Arts is good, but the source book for the 4th edition is better IMO.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

wander

I'll put my hat in to play if anyone else GMs.

I'm fresh on this system, so unconfident to run it, though would love to play.

godfang

Thufir Hawat

Yeah, wander, the trick would be to find a Referee 8-)!

Quote from: godfang on May 23, 2020, 03:51:54 AM
Is there anywhere I can check out the system?

The quickstart is free, so I guess it should be enough to check it out.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/273889
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

No Referee has entered this stage yet. Are you sure you want to continus? Y/N

;D

I mean, guys, someone should really offer to run this game. Or I could just post a thread on some other forum and see whether I'd be able to find a GM there >:).

it would be a waste, though. Fight! really has lots of elements and genre expectations that make it near-perfect for E. games :P!
And I'm pretty sure I could find other players as well, if a GM was found.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Nanachan

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Nanachan on August 03, 2020, 09:07:17 PM
If you can teach me how to run it, I can totally run it
I'm pretty sure that I could :P! I'll send you a PM shortly.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Pumpkin Seeds

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on August 04, 2020, 06:29:48 AM
Not sure I know the system but be interested to learn.
It's a rather fun system for fighting games,so if you're a fan of those,I recommend it!

Nanachan has stated she plans to go for the first edition, BTW. I don't know much else ATM.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Pumpkin Seeds

Cool.  I've been looking at Ready.. Fight for Genesys system for a fighting style game.

Thufir Hawat

Yeah, all of us have system preferences... mine are with Fight! The Fighting Game RPG. Or failing that, Musha Shugyo ;D.
Personally, I don't see how Genesys would work for a forum game...though I admit that I've been avoiding it even for face-to-face games, so I haven't really been looking for an answer 8-).

It depends on Nanachan which system she's planning to run, anyway. Unless I've misunderstood you and you are offering to run Genesys with the Ready....Fight supplement?

Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Pumpkin Seeds

Running one?  Maybe. Was just seeing people toss out systems so threw that out as well.  Like I said, I'm willing to learn this system you proposed and that seems to now have a GM. 

I do agree that Genesys has some challenges on a forum but I do love the narrative style.

Thufir Hawat

Experience has taught me that some of what people  call "narrative approach" works for me, but other parts are deal-breakers. Let's just leave it at that or take it to the system subforum ;D !
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Thufir Hawat

Just got UFC 4 for my console. Guess it's time to raise that thread ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

wander

I was relooking at Fight! 2nd edition the other day, it does seem fun to play.

The main thing that filters me is the absolute masses of choice for special moves in making yours up for the character you play.

Still for the 10 points for three special moves you could do an easy Ryu/Ken clone and have Shoryuken L4, Hadoken L3 and Hurricane Kick L3 and use the pregen move templates, job done.

Defence feels mainly wasted for starting characters, as it maxs at Total = 3 if you don't attack in a round (2 if you do: skill level +Fighting Spirit spend) as
it's the difficulty number for the attack roll and you can put Accuracy buffs into that pretty easily.

Still, outside the Special Move construction, I do love the light character construction and the whole thing of;

> strong
> speedy
> tough

Pick two, when you get past your concept for the character and think how they'd play in the arcade.  :-)

Plus the art in the Fight! 2nd edition core is so evocative of stuff like the Street Fighter Udon comics stuff.  ;D

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: wander on June 12, 2021, 01:39:30 PM
I was relooking at Fight! 2nd edition the other day, it does seem fun to play.
Indeed!

QuoteThe main thing that filters me is the absolute masses of choice for special moves in making yours up for the character you play.

Still for the 10 points for three special moves you could do an easy Ryu/Ken clone and have Shoryuken L4, Hadoken L3 and Hurricane Kick L3 and use the pregen move templates, job done.
Or electric bolt, low sliding push, and super evade, and have Raiden!
Or any other character, now that I think of it...

QuoteDefence feels mainly wasted for starting characters, as it maxs at Total = 3 if you don't attack in a round (2 if you do: skill level +Fighting Spirit spend) as
it's the difficulty number for the attack roll and you can put Accuracy buffs into that pretty easily.
Where are you getting that from? Defense can well be 3 at start, 4 with Fighting Spirit.

QuoteStill, outside the Special Move construction, I do love the light character construction and the whole thing of;

> strong
> speedy
> tough

Pick two, when you get past your concept for the character and think how they'd play in the arcade.  :-)

Yeah. Or "pick one to be outrageously good at, and another to be below average at".

QuotePlus the art in the Fight! 2nd edition core is so evocative of stuff like the Street Fighter Udon comics stuff.  ;D
Yes, though I did prefer the 1st edition art. But that's besides the point!

So are you thinking of running it?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

wander

Aye, I misread for Defence... It's actually really good to have. ^^;

It's a neat game, though christ does it need another run of editing and trimming down some. The system isn't particularly crunchy, though the amount of options you have going in, I'm glad it has cheat sheets in the back.  :D

Though no, no... I am not an expert enough to run it. Though I'd love to play in a game and learn more of the intricacies in play if one got going.

I used to main C. Viper in SF4... I was going to say some years ago, though somehow it was nearly 12 years ago now! How time flies!  :o

Though anyways, I have loved Street Fighter since I was like, 8 when SF2 came out over here for the SNES... Unlocking Akuma and Gouken for SF4 against the sheer cheese of Seth is something I'm particularly proud of doing.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: wander on June 13, 2021, 04:52:05 PM
Aye, I misread for Defence... It's actually really good to have. ^^;
Yes. Fight is really good in that there are no "weak stats".

QuoteIt's a neat game, though christ does it need another run of editing and trimming down some. The system isn't particularly crunchy, though the amount of options you have going in, I'm glad it has cheat sheets in the back.  :D
OTOH, it can run more than just fighting games, too! Like, you want to run an UFC game? You could do worse than Fight! 2e with the 3D options.

QuoteThough no, no... I am not an expert enough to run it. Though I'd love to play in a game and learn more of the intricacies in play if one got going.
I'm almost tempted to run it. But "almost" doesn't count.
Besides, I want to play!

QuoteI used to main C. Viper in SF4... I was going to say some years ago, though somehow it was nearly 12 years ago now! How time flies!  :o

Though anyways, I have loved Street Fighter since I was like, 8 when SF2 came out over here for the SNES... Unlocking Akuma and Gouken for SF4 against the sheer cheese of Seth is something I'm particularly proud of doing.
Heh, I've always been a 3D game guy, even though my first games were MK and SF2 (I'm older than you >:))! But since my biggest complaint was "why can't anyone sidestep, jumping all the time is ridiculous", finding Virtua Fighter 2, Tekken 3 and Dead or Alive 2 was an answer to my hopes. I tended to play with the ninja guys, because hey, NINJA ;D! (Also, I used to like fast and mobile characters...these days, I'm just as likely to play anything).

These days, I play DoA 5&6, UFC2/3/4 and Soul Calibur 6 on my PS4, and MMA Rivals on my phone. The only place where I'm not playing is on E. and I really hope to change that, too 8-)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

wander

I've fucked with 3d games, Soul Calibur (had and played 2 in Uni, later me and friends played 5 together though I never owned it myself) and Tekken were my teens and twenties plays, though I never really liked the side-step footwork and commands when it came to those games.

Although, me and my friends did love and got pretty competitive with the DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi series... And that flying in a 3d space and teleporting around to out 'nothing personnel, kid' the other player...  :D

Personally, I like the anime aesthetic for fighting games over the EA UFC feel, though I get not everyone does.

I always veered to characters who can hit like a truck, eventually going for quick hitters who can get stun-lock and quick dodge. When I was in Uni and we played Tekken 4 on the PS2, I was maining as Steve Fox who was new for that game, the boxer who had strong punches though the kick buttons had him dodge left or right instead. I found his mechanics easy to pick up and dodging hits felt smug as fuck.  :D

I had veered off when games started to go to online play. For me, alot of the fun of them was spending the day with two controllers plugged in with friends and loved ones, doing it together in person.

Pumpkin Seeds

Gonna give these rules a look since I finally picked them up.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: wander on June 13, 2021, 08:23:42 PM
I never really liked the side-step footwork
Does...not...compute...error 40X...

Quoteand commands when it came to those games.
TBH, I don't like the Tekken commands either. Virtua Fighter and Tekken, OTOH, are great in that...  ;D
Not familiar with DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi. There's only so many hours I can devote to playing fighting games.

QuotePersonally, I like the anime aesthetic for fighting games over the EA UFC feel, though I get not everyone does.
I like both. They're different aesthetics.
Though if I have to pick, sure, EA UFC would win...not the least because it's got so many fun options you outright don't get in other games!

QuoteI always veered to characters who can hit like a truck, eventually going for quick hitters who can get stun-lock and quick dodge. When I was in Uni and we played Tekken 4 on the PS2, I was maining as Steve Fox who was new for that game, the boxer who had strong punches though the kick buttons had him dodge left or right instead. I found his mechanics easy to pick up and dodging hits felt smug as fuck.  :D
Yeah, I like Steve as well. Him, Nina/Anna and the capoeira guys and gals are my favourites in Tekken. Though I'm one of those weirdos that actually play with almost anyone. "Random" is my preferred character in all games ;D!

QuoteI had veered off when games started to go to online play. For me, alot of the fun of them was spending the day with two controllers plugged in with friends and loved ones, doing it together in person.
True, that. Though I'm a big fan of career modes, instead...in the games where such are available. And I usually start with the story mode, and survival mode, instead of arcade or versus.
Then again, when my siblings come, it's versus mode all the way!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

wander

You'll need to school me on Defensive Responses and the Tactics skill.

I was reading it and I did love the idea of doing a character who has a counter special move.
I play atm Action Taimanin, think more of a DMC/Bayonetta/Platinum Games slasher than a 1v1 fighting game, though one girl I use, Kurenai, has a skill where you press a button and she assumes a blocking stance, if anyone is stupid enough to attack her whilst that stance is up (lasts for a few seconds), she'll slap them with a combo and heal a percentage of the damage she has inflicted on her attacker.

I was never really into counters prior, though the sheer dickery of that one sold me on them.  :D

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: wander on June 14, 2021, 12:43:33 PM
You'll need to school me on Defensive Responses and the Tactics skill.

I was reading it and I did love the idea of doing a character who has a counter special move.
I play atm Action Taimanin, think more of a DMC/Bayonetta/Platinum Games slasher than a 1v1 fighting game, though one girl I use, Kurenai, has a skill where you press a button and she assumes a blocking stance, if anyone is stupid enough to attack her whilst that stance is up (lasts for a few seconds), she'll slap them with a combo and heal a percentage of the damage she has inflicted on her attacker.

I was never really into counters prior, though the sheer dickery of that one sold me on them.  :D
I was always into counters, at least in fighting games. Can you tell why I love DoA :P?

And in Fight! 2e you get that with the Tactics skill even if you don't have a Special move, there's the Interrupt (basic). Special moves, of course, let you deal more damage, and various other effects - like taking the opponent down, stunning him, whatever.
Of course, various special Elements let you apply the same effects with the Evade and Defense skills. But I'm almost sure you still can't get any of them to work when you're not allowed to use Tactics.
Hint, if you're both attacking on the same initiative, you can only use Defense >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!