Looking for lighthearted 5e game (details and possible premise in first post)

Started by Rummy Tum Tum, May 13, 2020, 09:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rummy Tum Tum

Premise (can be altered or changed by DM):
My thought for this game is one in which a group of lovable misfits and weirdos join a very janky/low status adventuring guild (it was their best adventurous option. No one wants to be a guard). The guild mostly takes missions other guilds view as beneath them, but they also occasionally get the big, dangerous missions that other guilds charge too much gold for. It's a dangerous job with few benefits besides excitement, travel, and the reinforcement of questionable morals. Our characters would definitely not be beloved and respected at the start, but maybe as they do bigger and better things, things start to change for them.

Desires for the game:
My personal wants for this game mainly center around character and fun. Not full on wackiness--and definitely plenty of room for serious themes--but enough general silliness for all involved to laugh, smile, and enjoy themselves. I am also a big fan of knife theory, where the DM takes pieces of characters' backstories, forges them into knives and straight up jams them into their backs. I just love it when backstory elements come up to bite people and make their characters grow as a result.

Combat is fun, but it's more interesting when there's character motivation and/or tactics behind it. And seeing how slow it tends to be in forum games, I think the shorter it generally is, the better--to an extent. Maybe we can brainstorm ways to make fights go smoother, whether it's by making them go by faster or making them exciting enough to draw in faster posts. Overall, gauging interest and figuring out how to handle slowdowns in combat (and out of combat) is a full group decision and very subjective to the group in question.

Last, but definitely not least, I'd like a DM and players who will put effort into keeping the game moving. That can be really hard with a play by post, just by its nature, but when a game drags with one or more people not posting or contributing much (specifically without a heads up or communication), it's a big mood/enthusiasm killer. And eventually, it becomes a game killer. It happens very often, usually not too long after a game's start, and it always feels like such a huge waste. So, we'd all have to work together and communicate often to make sure we don't all end up disappointed.

Rule preferences:
Details on character creation and such are up to the DM, but I'd prefer a 3rd level start just because the first two levels can be too slow for a forum based game.
I also prefer character avatars to be artwork (non-anime if possible).

Smut level:
I don't want this to be smut heavy. As fun as smuttiness is (and as great as DnD is for the monstergirl scenes I've always wanted) I don't want the game to become an ongoing smutfest. That happens way too easily and tends to throw a game out of whack. So yeah, I am all for smut, as long as it doesn't get out of hand or happen too often or too quickly/randomly. Also, very importantly, I do not want forced/non-con content. Dub-con is alright, where both characters are into it overall (which would of course require talks with the player characters in question and the DM). Non-con just makes me uncomfortable generally, and especially in DnD where it often results from a bad luck roll or from losing a fight rather than two writers expressly choosing to go there. It also just doesn't fit the more lighthearted tone I'd like us to go for.

ChicagoOkie

Random PM's welcome.
Available for the right story.
O/Os Updated story ideas. May/9/2021
A/As
RP AD
BDSM Test

Chulanowa

Bragi

I would love to jump in, would be a fun way to play my hexblade warlock with a large amount of Rp from backstory..
Passion of a Ginger is nothing to be trifled with, be prepared for something different.

PM's welcome