Anyone interested?: A Clash of Worlds

Started by Eley, December 09, 2009, 09:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eley

Hey everyone,

I've long thought about an idea which I think will be suitable for a small group light exotic roleplay. The basic idea is that instead of thinking up characters, and playing with them, every player comes up with a short (nothing too detailed, you'll soon notice why) description of a fictional world. This may range from alien spaceship communities, to medieval fantasy worlds, and from mind constructs without specific forms to our own planet Earth.
In one great cataclysmic event, pathways between these worlds would open up, sending members from each background into a in-between land, where they would all meet. From there, the basic player interactions would start: They could get to know each other there, take others to their homeworld, or follow someone into their homeland. I feel that this allows an imense amount of diversification, which would be lots of fun.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Even though the idea is quite ambitious, I hope to hear from some of you.

Best,
Eley

Carlissa

Seems like a good idea, but it's a little confusing.

I have a sugestion. What about we create characters from already existing universes, like Star Wars, Halo, Pokemon, anything in existance. Just a sugestion, not trying to change your idea or anything...
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Beorning

I like the idea very much! I love the idea of characters from various eras and realities meeting, exploring their worlds and so on. There's a lot of potential in there!

Vandren

Sounds interesting.  I'd lean toward original settings (as outlined in the intro post) as 1) more interesting and 2) more creative.  I'm guessing, from the description that people'd be playing characters from their own world(s), at least initially, correct?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

urowen

I agree with Carlissa but other than that sounds  cool enough to try.

HairyHeretic

The idea reminds me a bit of Torg. Could be interesting though.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Vandren

Definitely a TORG-ian feel . . . which probably shows our generation, Hairy.   ;D
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

HairyHeretic

I've have in excess of 20 years behind the GMs Screen. I'm old  :P

And for those who you who don't know what we're talking about ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torg

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Vandren

Same here.  :)  Durn cousins introduced me to gaming (red box D&D) when I was in kindergarten (1982-ish).

Soren

Hi Eley,

I am interested. I would even be willing to help out by introducing some of my own ideas to help this RP along.

Saerrael

This does sound interesting. Will be keeping an eye on this. Count me interested, but awaiting more imput.

Chaos

It does sound intriguing - I'd be more inclined towards original worlds, too.

Eley

Hey everyone,

I was glad to hear from so many of you. Unfortunately, I won't have enough time on my hands the next couple of weeks to pursue this idea any further. I will keep it in mind, however. So its definitely worth looking out for more updates in the near future.

best,
Eley

Saerrael

Quote from: Eley on December 18, 2009, 12:28:33 PM
Hey everyone,

I was glad to hear from so many of you. Unfortunately, I won't have enough time on my hands the next couple of weeks to pursue this idea any further. I will keep it in mind, however. So its definitely worth looking out for more updates in the near future.

best,
Eley

Actually, that's perfect for me. December is a bloody busy month.
I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Soren

apocryphan

I love this idea! There's so many delicious possibilities! Hope to hear an update soon.
If one should be a prey, how much the better to fall before the lion than the wolf...

Eley

Hey everyone,

With the new year, I decided to give this idea another go.

Introduction:

In 2110, we finally had to accept that we were not alone. In May of that year an immense wave of powerful energy enveloped our planet and ended life as we had known it. Fifteen minutes was all it took; Fifteen minutes to destroy over eighty percent of the human population, and render all planetary surface uninhabitable. Surviving world leaders were struck by the sheer unexpectedness of such utter destruction, and they calmed their feelings of guilty by blaming it all on fate. After all, no one could’ve expected such a thing.
This, however, is not entirely true.

My name is Samuel Archivar, and I have found documents which will help me uncovered the truth behind the cataclysm.

It started almost a hundred years earlier, in 2012.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Rules and Guidelines:

To start out, I want everyone who is interested in this to please create a world after the following points:

Type: Planet / Spaceship / Cloud of Energy etc.
Civilization Type: Medieval Fantasy / High Tech Sci-fi / Modern / Outworldly / Something else entirely
Beings: Humanoids / Robots, Cyborgs / Demons / Animals etc.
General Agenda, Plan for Domination: Conquer territories / Acquire Knowledge / Diplomatic Peace / Destruction of everything foreign.
Ambassador: 1 Character

The answers given are just ideas to help you decide what belongs after each point, but they are by no means the only possibilities. I'd also like you all to be a bit more specific about your civilization type. Describe in short what makes your people tick, how the majority manages to get by, and what type of government or military control there is, if any. Be as imaginative and as descriptive as you can and want to be:).
(Concerning General Agenda: This is only an additional help for coordinating the different worlds. You don't have to be very specific on this, and this agenda does certainly not have to be every last or your world's citizens' final goal. It simply a pointer in what direction you want to play your characters.)

As for the ambassador: This character will be the first you assume. Please describe him/her/it in relative detail, including physical appearance, mannerisms, and hidden agendas.  Pictures might help, but are no prerequisite.

I will open up an OOC thread in the group roleplay forum. Please post your ideas there (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=57061.0)
If you have any questions regarding the concept, please post them here!

Best,
Eley

Thufir Hawat

I like reading game ideas even when my O&Os clearly say I'm not going to participate ;). They clearly say so in this case, but that's beside the point.
Still, I'll suggest you a possible twist to consider. After you create your worlds, let another player create a typical character from your world, and play with whatever he or she created ;D!
Consider this "a creative challenge". You decide whether to apply it or not, I just felt that another option might be fun :P.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Eley

Thank you, Thufir, for your intput. I'll keep that in mind. Much appreciated!

best,
Eley

Zelric Miras

Eley

Hi Leorobin,

The description? Sure it can be long, and as detailed as you want...In face, that's encouraged. It will add a lot more flavor.

Goss

This sounds like an interesting idea with a lot of creative possibilities. Do you have a set limit of participants in mind?

Eley

Not yet, no. I think it would be best if all those who are interested post a planet description in the group roleplay thread, and depending on the number of participants we may have to think of something.

Best,
eley