Mistress of Webs

Started by Apple of Eris, June 28, 2006, 10:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple of Eris

So I was realizing I'm only in one game here so far, and I've got some time so I was thinking about starting a game, but I'd like to gauge some interest.

The idea is blatantly stolen from a game I was in some years ago on Play By Web, so if the original creator of that game is here, start this up again! Otherwise, I'll do it if enough people are interested.

Okay, the premise:

Hidden away in the icy shadows of the great mountains stands a solitary keep, unknown to all but a few. The keep home to a powerful, but very secret organization known as the Web. The Web is a powerful and secret organization bent on establishing its control over the known world through assassination, intimidation, bribery, and war. They prefer to work in secret but will use any methods to advance their cause. Most members are assassins, warriors, wizards, and rogues, but even noblemen and merchants have been known to be welcomed into the secret ranks of the group.

Every so often handfuls of individuals who show promise are brought in secret to the keep, some willingly, some not; where they are trained by the masters to serve. As their training advances, they are sent on more and more difficult missions until they perish or have proven themselves worthy and are accepted into the group. At the head of this organization is a single woman, known only as the Mistress, though some masters know her true name. She seized power from the previous leader, a male, ten years ago, and turned the group into the powerful organization it is now. She is rarely seen, and most would rather keep it that way, for she is feared by all within the keep.

The mistress keeps order amongst members of the web via a small web tatoo given to each member upon acceptance. Through this magical link, she can punish, reward, and even kill any within her group. How she has gained this power is unknown, but anyone who could learn it, could overthrow the Mistress.

So, basically, we'd need masters and mistresses (Trainers) and various recruits who need to be trained. I'd take the pretty much hands off role of the Mistress (and through her, the role of Plot Keeper), and probably play a recruit as well, I don't know how well I'd pull off a trainer. :)

Oh, probably freeform unless people prefer a system (and if you do, GURPS, its all I know anymore).

Anyone interested?
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Vandren

Sounds interesting.  I'm not sure whether I'll have the time, but I'd definitely be interested if I do.  :)

(Hmm, could I get more semi-noncommittal?  ;))
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Lirliel

Hmm... I'd put up my intrest flag for this... Freeform though (Don't know GURPS) and playing as a recruit
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Apple of Eris

I was leaning towards freeform anyway, it'd be less of a pain for me *grin*
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Elvi

Sounds interesting Apple,
I may be interested, again dependant upon timing.

I think you would get more interest and discussion if this were to be moved to players wanted?
It may be worth asking one of the Goddesses to move it for you?
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Vandren

Quote from: appleoferis on June 28, 2006, 11:22:16 PM
I was leaning towards freeform anyway, it'd be less of a pain for me *grin*

Just out of curiousity, if you did use GURPS, what kind of point totals would you be looking at?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Apple of Eris

Elvi- good idea, I'll do that when I wake up

Van- well, I haven't played 4e much so in 3e, prolly 100 for recruits (going up w/ training), 150 for full members, 200-250 for masters, and of course, no one knows for the mistress. ;-)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Vandren

Quote from: appleoferis on June 29, 2006, 08:54:03 AM
Van- well, I haven't played 4e much so in 3e, prolly 100 for recruits (going up w/ training), 150 for full members, 200-250 for masters, and of course, no one knows for the mistress. ;-)

Cool.  I'm interested in either freeform or GURPS (definitely 3rd ed).  But that helps as an idea of what you're thinking of.  :)

I'd be interested in a trainer for now, perhaps a recruit later too, if time allows.

MagicalPen

I'd be interested too...though as Freeform since i've never played any sort of System (tragic, i know, but i dont know anyone IRL who roleplays in any manner besides myself).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Ellyssa

Depends on how it's set up, interest could be piqued too. Sort of on the periphery looking on for now, though. :)

Karmaold

I'd be interested in such a game. I'll throw my vote in for freeform, I don't know gurps (though i hear its similar to shadowrun, which I do know).

King_Furby

This Furby is interested

Vandren

Quote from: Karma on June 29, 2006, 07:30:11 PMI don't know gurps (though i hear its similar to shadowrun, which I do know).

Sort of similar, in some respects.  Though a lot more malleable - in part because the system is completely divorced from any setting (the key flaw to WoD's system, for instance, IMHO).

If you're interested, here're the condensed 3rd ed rules (GURPS Lite): http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dweren/glite3rd.pdf  (Just need a couple more minutes to rename the file properly.)

Vandren

Just to keep the thread alive and out of curiousity . . .

1) What section are you thinking of, Apple?
2) Classic Fantasy, or something else for the setting?
3) Um . . . I guess there is no #3.  :)

Elvi

Number three
and you are deffinately going with the freeform idea aren't you because that poor poor Elvi hates numbers and we would all really like her to play because she is lovely.....

Elvi

Awwwwwwww....Vandren, you say lovely things.......*grins*

Apple of Eris

Well, probably NCEF since who knows what people might encounter, and well, you know, magic and all can be pretty fun *coughs* *grin*

And as far as setting, when I think of classic fantasy I think of stuff like Tolkien, I'm thinking more of like that D&D pulpish fantasy, minus the D&D of course :)

The game seems to have some interest so, I'll probably look to do something with this early next week. My weekend is going to be hellishly busy.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Apple of Eris

And yes, freeform seems to be the consensus so system free.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Elvi

NCEF is for games with scenes of explicit and graphic rape, do you see any where in the game where people are going to be subjected to that?

Apple of Eris

Yes, maybe not at first unles someone decided to create a character that comes o the organization as a captive, but there will be some plot, and that could certainly happen, quite easily.

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

King_Furby

it's always a bitch to think of what is the proper place to put something lol. But you will figure it out..unless you just ask Elvi to tell you where to put it lol. Ok that sounded dirty...but dirty can be a good thing ::wink wink::

Swedish Steel

Hah! He's back, and he's in rare form!
I might be interested in this game, like what you have done on this site so far. :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Vandren

Quote from: appleoferis on June 30, 2006, 11:57:37 AM
Well, probably NCEF since who knows what people might encounter, and well, you know, magic and all can be pretty fun *coughs* *grin*

And as far as setting, when I think of classic fantasy I think of stuff like Tolkien, I'm thinking more of like that D&D pulpish fantasy, minus the D&D of course :)

Sounds good.  Oh, by "classic" fantasy, I was referring to a roughly medieval, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Goblins, Ogres, etc. vs. Urban Fantasy or a more or less Renaissance or Asiatic sort of thing.  :)

Elvi

Furby, I can't put 'it', if you are referring to the game, anywhere, I resigned as a goddess, I am only a mere mortal player now.....

Swedish Steel

Nah, but it is still in your power to advice a fellow player, maybe that's what he meant.
Then again, he has been away, maybe he just didn't notice the color change in your name.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0