Werewolves of Miller's Hollow OOC/Chatter Thread

Started by Trieste, November 19, 2017, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

Quote from: persephone325 on December 15, 2017, 12:47:40 AM
Trie said we had to decide who to send. I just assumed you had messaged her and forgot to hit "reply all". :P

I actually got impatient and decided not to wait for y’all since two were dying and the watcher wasn’t watching anyone where it would matter that night. >.>

Congrats villagers, although holy hell on wheels Caeli.

I’ll post a recap later today. ❤️

Mintprincess

Quote from: persephone325 on December 15, 2017, 03:49:07 AM
I know. I read it as Mint being confused and thinking she chose to kill me.
no I chose.   Triste messaged me and asked who I would take with me when I died.

Mintprincess

Quote from: Imogen on December 15, 2017, 04:37:28 AM
You made the call! The credit's all yours.  <3

I still find it hilarious that one wolf was dead all along... I wondered what'd have happened if the vote didn't change after Rummy voted for Caeli that one round..I wonder if we'd have stopped killing after night three when the jailer AGAIN had locked someone up and no one died. Maybe we'd have stopped when the entire village was dead :-)

Still, some misunderstandings notwithstanding, team villagers did good! I look forward to the next game!

if you had killed Caeli and not Rummy the game would have ended then ;)

Remiel

Yes, well done, Caeli, you led us on a merry chase.  If you hadn't left all the special roles until last, you might've pulled it off.  We were lucky in that once we revealed who we were, you ran out of places to hide.

Blythe was onto you from the very beginning, though...we should've listened to him.  <_<

Here are my thoughts on the game balance:

Seer -- keep, obviously.  You have to have a Seer.  And I liked that I didn't get to find out what roles people were, but simply if they were villager or not.
Jailer -- I REALLY liked the Jailer as a substitution for the Guard / Sentinel role.  You still get to keep people safe, but they lose the ability to carry out their role ability that night.  It's a nice balancing dynamic.  Plus, you can't jail yourself, so you can't do that to keep yourself safe from the wolves.  Strongly recommend keeping this role in all future Mafia games.

(as an aside, Trieste and Caeli must have been laughing when Kaz and I were like "well, there were no deaths last night.  Obviously that meant that the wolves tried to target Caeli.")

Vigilante -- keep.  Scott guessed correctly, but there's just as much chance of the Hunter taking out a villager.
Hunter -- eh, wasn't so much a fan of this one.  Also kind of redundant with the Vigilante around.
Watcher -- also wasn't a real fan of this one.  Potentially useful, but in the cases where a wolf kills a villager it's a dead giveaway.  Can probably leave this out.

Ultimately, for a fair balance, the Werewolves need a place to hide.  This means lots of Villagers, and therefore a hard limit on the number of Villager special roles.

Teen Wolf -- I didn't really like this condition.  Having to say "werewolf" at least once a day kind of makes the Teen Wolf an easy target, if the Villagers are paying attention.
Sheepy Wolf -- obviously, the inclusion of the Sheepy Wolf was what caused this game to last as long as it did.  I think if we had known we had taken two wolves out on the first night, it would have been much easier to find the last one.  Imogen and I assumed there were still two wolves alive, and it really threw off our game.

I was thinking about this, and I would like to make the following recommendation instead:

Minion (Evil)

The minion thinks that werewolves are AWESOME!  So much so that she will do anything she can to help them win.  The only problem is that she doesn't know who the werewolves are, and they don't know who she is.  She wins if the werewolves win, even if she is dead.  She loses if all the werewolves are dead, even if she is still alive.  She shows up as a Villager if scryed by the Seer.

Also, I kind of miss the Alpha Wolf.  The ability to turn any villager over to your side has the potential to cause lots of chaos, particularly if the ability is used later in the game.  Obviously, if you include the Alpha Wolf, you have to consider that impact on the good guy / bad guy ratios.

Finally, taking a cue from Town of Salem, I would like to see the following role in a future game:

Necromancer (Neutral)

The necromancer loves death.  He loves it so much, in fact, that his only goal in the game is to get himself lynched.  He wins if he is lynched, but loses if he is killed by any other means (e.g. werewolf attack or the Vigilante's bullet) or if the game ends and he is still alive.  But if he does manage to succeed in getting himself lynched, he becomes a Zombie and gets to wreak bloody vengeance on one of the people who voted for him before vanishing into the night.

I think both the Minion and the Necromancer give the wolves a place to hide while not tilting the balance too much in favor of the wolves.

So in a 12-player game, for example, I would have:
Seer
Jailer
Vigilante
Villager
Villager
Villager
Villager
Villager

Necromancer
Minion
Werewolf
Alpha Wolf

Mintprincess

The one difference between the hunter and the vigilante is that my kill only happened if I was taken down but I agree with the vigilante maybe not needed.  The hunter actually seems a little more powerful honestly because if the vigilante dies without using their gift it’s wasted.

yugi006

I agree that the amount of special roles was a little to much for 12 players.

Caeli

I think it always takes a little bit of tweaking to find the right balance, and I think we've all gotten a little rusty.  :-) Next time will be easier!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Lynnie

I run Are you a werewolf at conventions >> I haven't run small games in forever now because of that.

Scott

Madame Professor

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Imogen

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Remiel

I'd be willing to take a crack at running one of these, but I think Persephone has first dibs.

persephone325

Quote from: Remiel on December 18, 2017, 11:32:22 AM
I'd be willing to take a crack at running one of these, but I think Persephone has first dibs.

Mine was going to be after the holidays. I didn't think anyone would want another one so quickly, as I had been told that running them back to back can leave people feeling drained.

If someone wants to do one before hand, that's fine with me.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Remiel

It'd probably be a good idea to wait until after New Year's in any event; people tend to vanish, understandably so, around this time.

Caeli

I was thinking about running a themed one, but I was going to wait until after Persephone's had concluded. :-)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Trieste

I'm so glad people had fun. :D And thank you so much for the feedback!

I know I've been promising a recap, and I've been a bit low on spoons so I just wanted to say that I haven't forgotten. Just haven't had the energy for a lot!

Quote from: Remiel on December 15, 2017, 08:35:46 AM
(as an aside, Trieste and Caeli must have been laughing when Kaz and I were like "well, there were no deaths last night.  Obviously that meant that the wolves tried to target Caeli.")

Dude, I almost fell out of my chair. Caeli nearly killed me with her message to the Jailer and then we had that the next day and I was going around randomly giggling all day.

Caeli

I just want to say, for the record... it was not gibberish!

我不是狗!= I am not a dog.
怎么多朋友已经死了。。。 为什么大家都以为我是狼呢?! = So many of my friends have already died... why does everyone think I am a werewolf?!
我很坐火车! = I hate trains.

I'm actually quite proud of myself - I was able to type all of that without using a translator. :P

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Kazyth

... that is not what Google Translate gave back to me.  No, not at all.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Caeli

Oops, sorry - it looks like I mis-typed hate (恨), which has the same romanization as very (很), which is what you got. :-X

Please forgive me . :-*

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Remiel

I'd also like to point out that I TOLD both Kaz and Scott that I was the Seer and they were both ready to vote me out anyway.

Honestly, what does a guy have to do to prove his innocence around here?   >:(

Ket

Quote from: Remiel on December 19, 2017, 10:03:20 AM
I'd also like to point out that I TOLD both Kaz and Scott that I was the Seer and they were both ready to vote me out anyway.

Obviously throwing parties with noms and drinkage is not the way to go.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Mintprincess

Quote from: Ket on December 19, 2017, 10:33:45 AM
Obviously throwing parties with noms and drinkage is not the way to go.
. lol.  Or just being a princess got me killed.   I didn’t make one night and those wolves bit me !

Caeli

You ended up axing one of them.  I think we can call it more than a fair trade ;D

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Kazyth

Quote from: Remiel on December 19, 2017, 10:03:20 AM

Before we knew the rules for reveals on death, you could have been lying and the seer could already have been dead!
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.