Any Wow-Heads out there?

Started by Anony Mouse, June 14, 2010, 12:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Anyway....

Anyone think I can get a pre-built rig for under $1000 that can play WoW on Ultra, and that can also play Fallout New Vegas, TF2, etc, etc? o3o

I like Pre-built...cause I have no idea how to build it myself. <_<>_>

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on October 18, 2010, 12:21:43 AM
.....You should be stricken down for that pun...>_O It hurt. It hurt like a blade.

Cut you to the short perhaps?

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 18, 2010, 12:33:31 AM
Cut you to the short perhaps?

D:

Are you a rogue? Cause you're sappin my heart. D:

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on October 18, 2010, 12:39:00 AM
D:

Are you a rogue? Cause you're sappin my heart. D:

Nah.. just taking a random STAB in the dark. :D

Wolfy

*whacks Callie*

Anyway. Onto my question.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on October 18, 2010, 12:42:34 AM
*whacks Callie*

Anyway. Onto my question.

Not unless you buy it second hand from someone. You can play WoW well.. but Ultra? I dunno. My Mac can but it cost me 3 grand.

Wolfy

O-o...What about a computer to play it on say..High? or Very well, in any case. Also, Fallout New Vegas? TF2? o3o...TF2 probably wouldn't be hard, though..it's pretty old by now.

Callie Del Noire

TG2 is easy.. I play it on my Steam account.. New Vegas? I don't know.. I ordered the 360 version.

Wolfy

Well yes, I plan to get the 360 version....buuuuut I'd also like to give hte modding community a try too. :P

Anyway...how much do you think it would cost for a rig that could run WoW at High, or at least moderately high? o3o

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on October 18, 2010, 01:01:43 AM
Well yes, I plan to get the 360 version....buuuuut I'd also like to give hte modding community a try too. :P

Anyway...how much do you think it would cost for a rig that could run WoW at High, or at least moderately high? o3o

Need to ask on of the computer engineers. I THINK you could maybe pull it off for 1200 to 1400 (not up on the current windows graphics cards market and I expect that to be the priciest component. You can always pull stuff from your old pc: hard drive, network card/modem, ect which can lower prices even more)

Chris Brady

That was an awesome new intro.  I wanna get a Gamecard, durnit!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

The Golden Touch

Cata trailer.... All I could think during that was, 'Where do they come up with these voices?!'

And the 'Day Deathwing Came' quest chain video made me giggle.  Awesome, awesome.  ^ ^

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: The Golden Touch on October 18, 2010, 08:27:01 AM
Cata trailer.... All I could think during that was, 'Where do they come up with these voices?!'

And the 'Day Deathwing Came' quest chain video made me giggle.  Awesome, awesome.  ^ ^

Usually it's Chris Metzen with a computerized voice filter. He's the voice of Deathwing, Algalon, Thrall, Varian Wrynn, Deathbringer Saurfang, Ragnaros, Nefarian, Rexxar, and some other unspecified WoW bosses.

Wolfy

Blarg...must..get..a computer..to play games on....for less than...$1000...D: T-T lol

The Golden Touch

Yay voice filters.  ^ ^  Put aside the voice part... I just wasn't interested in the Cata trailer.  Meh.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: The Golden Touch on October 20, 2010, 04:29:58 AM
Yay voice filters.  ^ ^  Put aside the voice part... I just wasn't interested in the Cata trailer.  Meh.

It's certainly far worse than the WotLK trailer, and I don't remember the BC trailer enough to make a comparison.

Arander

Quote from: Wolfy on October 18, 2010, 09:19:24 AM
Blarg...must..get..a computer..to play games on....for less than...$1000...D: T-T lol

Need a new computer? I bought one from Walmart. Yes that's right. Walmart. I bought an Emachines computers there for $400, then went to Tigerdirect and bought a new video card. I run WoW right now on almost Ultra settings, and I paid less than $500 for everything.
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

On's & Off's

Leonard Washington

Quote from: Wolfy on October 18, 2010, 09:19:24 AM

I bought a dell inspiron 580 with 8gb of ram and a halfway decent graphics card that came pre installed for $800 and I play wow on ultra. Chances are if you spend around your max budget you'll get a pc that's capable of playing wow on max settings.

Zakharra

I wish I could just play!. 4 days, 48% downloaded on the 3.3 to 4.0 patch.  /cry  At this rate it will be Saturday night before I can finish this download, and I can only hope it installs without any problem.

A week of play time, wasted...  :'(

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Zakharra on October 20, 2010, 07:52:08 PM
I wish I could just play!. 4 days, 48% downloaded on the 3.3 to 4.0 patch.  /cry  At this rate it will be Saturday night before I can finish this download, and I can only hope it installs without any problem.

A week of play time, wasted...  :'(

Shouldn't take that long. What is the problem with your patching? Long downloads, crippling errors(had two friends who had to reinstall the entire game)

Zakharra

I had to reinstall the game completely because it wasn't even downloading. It kept spitting out the 'Failed to apply patch. Please try again later. If this persists, you may have to reinstall the game or contact technical support.'  I deleted the game (after moving the prevous patches to another part of the comp. Reinstalled, moved the patches back and now it is downloading. Just very bloody slow.

I do not know why it's slow, but I'm not about to start over in getting the patch. It's taken 4 days to get this far. I do not want to loose even more time in trying to get the damned patch. I've lost over a week of game time as it is.

Serephino

I've had issues with slow patch downloads too.  Something about a firewall.... 

As for computers....  you can get them un assembled for less than $500.  I think what my boyfriend has now he got for $320, and he can play newer more graphic games at max settings no problem.  Strangely, it came assembled when it wasn't supposed to, but even if it hadn't, he knows how to put them together.  The system he has is on another site that comes pre-assembled for about $1100.   

Zaer Darkwail

I got the patch 98% downloaded in six hours or so. Took then a day to leave it download the last 98% while spending time with friends. Have fairly good comp so I downloaded it fast.

Kytn

Downloading is more about what sort of internet connection you have rather than any other hardware. I'm on DSL, and was able to get most of the patch in one day. Granted I had the background downloader enabled, so I'm not sure how much of it was pre-loaded.
Updates coming soon!

Josietta

I don't believe firewalls slow downloads, however they will stop them, or cause long delays.

I found that doing a power cycle helped me with my connections and patchings.

I have cable internet, so it may not work for you if you have DSL.   Just a simple reset of your ISP can help.

I patched mine in about 2-3 hours max. I started it, left hte house, was gone a couple hours, came back and it was done.

At any rate, doing a power cycle won't hurt and can only help.

Power cycle
1- turn off all machines connected by hardwire or wireless to the modem/router
2- if you have a router disconnect it from your modem
3- do a power reset on your modem for 30 secs
4- allow all "lights" to come back to normal before plugging back in the router (if you have one)
5- start up one computer at a time, preferrably just the one you are using for the time being

That should reset your ISP (at least thats what I was told and it helps me tremendously with connectivity and Blizzard).

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!