News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Yugishogun on August 03, 2015, 03:05:44 PM
*hands award for an epic combo of references and tropage*

*wagers his new award on the outcome of a children's card game, then cheats outrageously to ensure he doesn't lose*

Dashenka

American and Delta will 'will no longer transport buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion or rhino trophies.'

Too little too late but better late than never.

https://twitter.com/AmericanAir/status/628397606989918208

Now it should be made an international law. Hunters will just fly other airlines until it's banned completely.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Oniya

Quote from: Dashenka on August 04, 2015, 02:02:06 AM
American and Delta will 'will no longer transport buffalo, elephant, leopard, lion or rhino trophies.'

Too little too late but better late than never.

https://twitter.com/AmericanAir/status/628397606989918208

Now it should be made an international law. Hunters will just fly other airlines until it's banned completely.

I imagine it will spread - at least to the other US airlines, which seems to be the main source of the trophy hunters.  Not going to stop the people who own private jets, or can charter them, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TaintedAndDelish

Aug 4 2015, 10:19 pm ET 'Wiccan Ritual Killing' Leaves Family of Three Dead in Pensacola: Police
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/police-wiccan-ritual-killing-leaves-three-dead-pensacola-n404256

Quote"It appears that this might be connected to some type of Wiccan ritual killing and possibly tied to the blue moon," Hobbes told NBC News. "

I'm not really sure how we go from 'three people murdered' to 'obscure wiccan ritual' here. I wonder which particular "wiccan ritual" he was talking about or how many "wiccans" typically do things like this during blue moons?  Pics would have been nice. At least then, maybe someone could take a better guess at what happened here.

Beorning

Okay, that "weird, satanic cult, witchcraft whatever" comment sounded like out of the 1980s...

Thumper

Yeah cause wiccas are well known for human sacrifice.

eBadger

Indeed.  Killed with a claw hammer?  Shot as he entered the house?  Doesn't exactly scream wiccan. 

Lustful Bride

To me this all seems as a case of "We have no fucking idea what happened or who did it so....witches did it!"

Zakharra

This is facepalm worthy.  http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4663579,00.html

'Erdoğan: 'Liberate Jerusalem' from the Jews
Turkish President continues trend of drawing parallels to historic Muslim conquerers as elections spell losses for AK Party.

Eldad Beck, Berlin

Published: 06.01.15, 11:04 / Israel News
Just one week before upcoming parliamentary elections in Turkey, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and officials in his Justice and Development Party (AK Party) found a unique way to try and secure a victory at the polls by calling for the "liberation" of Jerusalem.

"Conquest is Mecca, conquest is Saladin, it's to hoist the Islamic flag over Jerusalem again; conquest is the heritage of Mehmed II and conquest means forcing Turkey back on its feet," said Erdoğan in a speech on Saturday in Istanbul before millions who appeared to celebrate 562 years since the Turks captured Constantinople from European Christians.

[​IMG]
Erdoğan at an Istanbul rally during Presidential elections in 2014. (Photo: EPA)

Erdoğan drew a straight historical line between the capture of Jerusalem from the crusaders by Saladin and the capture of Constantinople to the elections in Turkey due to take place next week. Although state employees were required to send a delegation to the celebration, under the threat of punishment, local media reported that many partakers left during the President's speech.

Attempts by Erdoğan and his allies to find political support by linking Jerusalem and Islam have formed a clear and solid trend in Turkey. Only a few days ago, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu dedicated a new airport in the south of the country, naming it after Saladin. According to Davutoğlu, "It's a name that says to the Kurds, to Turkey, and to the Arabs, yes, this is our leader.

"It's a symbol that unites us," he continued. "All those who claim that Jerusalem is the Jew's holy city should be ashamed. We chose the name Saladin in order to send a message with the help of Allah that Jerusalem will always belong to the Kurds, to Turkey, to Arabs, to Muslims."

According to the results of public opinion polls, Erdoğan's AK Party is likely to lose the absolute majority it's enjoyed for the past 12 years in the House of Commons in elections on June 7.

While Erdoğan made his inflammatory comments, the Islamist organization IHH held a march in Istanbul calling for the "liberation of Jerusalem" to mark the fifth anniversary of the Marmara flotilla that was boarded by Israeli commandos when it tried to reach Gaza with unidentified cargo. Nine Turkish activists were killed in the raid.'

Does this idiot really think that this would happen? Even if his party won, the moment they tried anything to do that, they'd be hammered hard with sanctions and not so subtle diplomatic maneuvering (ie having a US CBG parked right off the coast). He'd end up destroying what exists of Turkey's economy and destroying what goodwill/international relations Turkey has. 

Why does it seem that people like him are determined to take Turkey back in time? The Ottoman empire is not something worth emulating, nor would it work again.

Oniya

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on August 05, 2015, 04:07:29 AM
Aug 4 2015, 10:19 pm ET 'Wiccan Ritual Killing' Leaves Family of Three Dead in Pensacola: Police
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/police-wiccan-ritual-killing-leaves-three-dead-pensacola-n404256

I'm not really sure how we go from 'three people murdered' to 'obscure wiccan ritual' here. I wonder which particular "wiccan ritual" he was talking about or how many "wiccans" typically do things like this during blue moons?  Pics would have been nice. At least then, maybe someone could take a better guess at what happened here.

Y'know, there used to be a pamphlet distributed to law enforcement that detailed the differences between non-Judeo-Christian religions and practices.  Things like the difference between the upright and inverted pentagram, what that curly symbol is that practitioners of Hinduism use - all that sort of thing, just so that this sort of misidentification wouldn't occur.

Yes, the 'blue moon' occurred on Lammas Eve (the night before August 1), but anyone in health care or law enforcement will tell you that the full moon brings out the crazies, regardless of the calendar day.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on August 05, 2015, 11:24:14 AM
Y'know, there used to be a pamphlet distributed to law enforcement that detailed the differences between non-Judeo-Christian religions and practices.  Things like the difference between the upright and inverted pentagram, what that curly symbol is that practitioners of Hinduism use - all that sort of thing, just so that this sort of misidentification wouldn't occur.

that actually sounds like a good idea.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Dashenka on August 03, 2015, 12:44:41 PM
Lets go to Mars... or Pluto...

or to quote the parting shot of a record review I once read, "send this guy to the moon on a single ticket".   :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

eBadger

I'm atwitter with glee over this one; the logs of a noted contemporary of the Grimm brothers, who apparently recorded tales with a better focus on staying true to the original. 

Five hundred new fairytales discovered in Germany
Collection of fairytales gathered by historian Franz Xaver von Schönwerth had been locked away in an archive in Regensburg for over 150 years

Lustful Bride

Quote from: eBadger on August 05, 2015, 04:47:04 PM
I'm atwitter with glee over this one; the logs of a noted contemporary of the Grimm brothers, who apparently recorded tales with a better focus on staying true to the original. 

Five hundred new fairytales discovered in Germany
Collection of fairytales gathered by historian Franz Xaver von Schönwerth had been locked away in an archive in Regensburg for over 150 years

*Geeking out* Oh my god this is incredibly relevant to everything I like! *falls down in fangasming*

Oniya

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Beorning

The new president of Poland has been sworn in today:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/216271,Duda-sworn-in-as-President-

I admit that I'm a little worried. I suspect that Duda won't distance himself from his party (Law and Justice) and that he will do whatever the party's leader tell him to do. Also, Duda's is a self-declared deeply religious Catholic person, so I fear he will be giving the Catholic Church a preferential treatment.

Speaking of the Church, our bishops declared that all MPs that voted for the recent in-vitro fertilization bill should refrain from receiving the Communion:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/215954,ProIVF-politicians-not-to-be-excommunicated

Hm!

Ephiral

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Ephiral on August 06, 2015, 02:01:31 PM
White American male with a weapon kills in order to feel powerful.

Cause you know its not like people all over the world kill to feel powerful *cough ISIS, African Warlords in destabilized areas, Organized crime groups (like the Drug Cartels) all over the damn world, Serial killers everywhere and many more*cough*

I have no idea what the person intended with what they wrote but it sounds idiotic to me. People kill, its human nature, weve been killing since time immemorial when some ancient ancestor of ours picked up a rock to defend themselves from an animal or to gain food.

And people don't just kill to feel powerful, they kill for lust, anger, patriotism, greed, Jealousy, bigotry, simple psychotic rage and sometimes just because they can.

If they are trying to say something they aren't doing a very good job of it.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 06, 2015, 02:12:22 PM
Cause you know its not like people all over the world kill to feel powerful *cough ISIS, African Warlords in destabilized areas, Organized crime groups (like the Drug Cartels) all over the damn world, Serial killers everywhere and many more*cough*

None of those are killing solely to feel powerful though. ISIS primarily kills for power and control, not the feeling of it. Just look at how much land they control, compared to the spree killer. Similarly, warlords and crime organizations primarily kill for control and to protect their empires, not just to feel powerful. The difference between those and the people mentioned in the article, is that the organization you just listed are powerful, they have power, influence, control, even if they are in danger of loosing it. The people in the article, never had power outside their own mind. Sure ISIS, drug cartels and Warlords may also kill simply to feel powerful, but there are other more important reasons.

The closest comparison you make that is valid is the serial killer, but that is rather different to the spree killer too. Serial killers are disciplined and do not seek attention, or if they do they are usually careful to not get caught, enough so that it can take years to catch them, spree killers are caught within days typically.

Maybe the article is unclear, or maybe it is clear, and you just don't want to face its message.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2015, 02:31:47 PM
  Maybe the article is unclear, or maybe it is clear, and you just don't want to face its message.

Or maybe the message is dumb? Implying only white men kill to feel superior? Also people still kill eachother without weapons.

I'm not saying they don't kill to feel powerful but whatever message their trying to say isn't registering.

And most of those weren't "I feel powerful/ want to feel powerful" killings, they were based off of hate and bigotry. Those are more lack of self control or murders in the heat of passion. When I think of the other kind I think of pre meditated, planned.

Il give you the other ones though, But my point still stands, people kill for all sorts of reasons, not just to try and feel powerful.

Edit: Im starting to worried Im not making sense.

I'm not defending the men in the article, they can all go rot in Hell. But it seems like its just trying to bait people into racial arguments and making an hill into a mountain.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 06, 2015, 02:37:14 PM
Or maybe the message is dumb? Implying only white men kill?

I'm not saying they don't kill to feel powerful but whatever message their trying to say isn't registering.[/quote]

Presumably that Caucasians are over represented as spree killers.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 06, 2015, 02:37:14 PMAnd most of those weren't "I feel powerful/ want to feel powerful" killings, they were based off of hate and bigotry.

Il give you the other ones though, But my point still stands, people kill for all sorts of reasons, not just to try and feel powerful.

Possibly, but I don't see why that distinctions matters too much. Psychologically its at least been proposed that hate and bigotry has at the very least a strong link to a feeling of powerlessness and can be perceived as an easy remedy of that.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2015, 02:46:26 PM
I'm not saying they don't kill to feel powerful but whatever message their trying to say isn't registering.

Presumably that Caucasians are over represented as spree killers.

Possibly, but I don't see why that distinctions matters too much. Psychologically its at least been proposed that hate and bigotry has at the very least a strong link to a feeling of powerlessness and can be perceived as an easy remedy of that.

*shrugs* It just seems like the Article is half assed and Doesn't get its point out. It could literally mean almost anything! Its like if I wrote a post saying "Apples and oranges!"

Without any substance or more data you can take that to mean anything. And thinking about it I think that maybe that is where our discussion is coming from. Like I once had explained ot me. If someone says Apple, one person thinks, Red, the other Green and another just thinks Food.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 06, 2015, 02:49:51 PM
*shrugs* It just seems like the Article is half assed and Doesn't get its point out. It could literally mean almost anything! Its like if I wrote a post saying "Apples and oranges!"

Without any substance or more data you can take that to mean anything.

But its not trying to be factual, its showing how generic some occurrences can be described as, yet still share common themes. A similar experiment would be "Politician elected on anti-fraud message investigated for fraud" and "Rich white man shares opinion on female reproductive rights". Would you have any trouble understanding what those articles were trying to say?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on August 06, 2015, 02:57:35 PM
  But its not trying to be factual, its showing how generic some occurrences can be described as, yet still share common themes. A similar experiment would be "Politician elected on anti-fraud message investigated for fraud" and "Rich white man shares opinion on female reproductive rights". Would you have any trouble understanding what those articles were trying to say?

No, but if an article just had the sae thing listed over and over again (especially on matters of race, religion etc etc.) it comes off as if its trying to say something.

Especially since it doesn't give all that much context.

If it said "Angry drunk Puerto rican commits crime" over and over again id be raging about how its stereotyping Puerto Ricans.

But if it said "The phrase 'Angry drunk Puerto rican commits crime' is over used and does not etc etc, etc.' Then I could understand it more because im being given more context.