Stay alert! Trust no one! Keep your laser handy! (Paranoia XP Interest Check)

Started by Jeramiahh, July 13, 2009, 01:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

Congratulations, citizen! For your exemplary service in assisting the quality of life here in Alpha Complex, you have been specially chosen to continue in Friend Computer's service as a Troubleshooter, and have been promoted to RED clearance level! Welcome aboard!

Do not fear, citizen, as previous knowledge of Alpha complex's protocols and operation are not only unneeded, but classified. As a Troubleshooter, you job is simple; you  root  out  all  traitors  and  apprehend  or execute them. You uncover corruption among The Computer’s  servants  and  turn  them  in  to  Internal Security. You find trouble, and you shoot it.

Your greatest foes will be mutants, genetic freaks that have uncontrollable abilities they selfishly use for their own advancement, rather than to serve Alpha Complex,  Members  of  secret  societies, in
organizations unsanctioned by The Computer where they conspire irresponsibly to undermine the good order of Alpha Complex, and other traitors of all kinds.

(By the way... you are a mutant, and a member of a secret society. You are a traitor. And the best way to survive is to ensure that those who might discover your treason are, in fact, discovered to be treasonous first, as the words of traitors will not be taken seriously. They are traitors, after all. Although false accusations of treason are treason, as well.)

Stay alert! Trust no one! Keep your laser handy!

So, I've gone crazy, and am interested in setting up and running a small game of Paranoia here. The best part about Paranoia is that the rules are really easy to learn, because you are not authorized to learn them, and, in fact, knowing the rules is a sign of treason, and grounds for immediate execution.

In general, Paranoia is the complete opposite of the standard RPG. In most games, you are expected to work together with your teammates, cooperate to accomplish goals, obtain a fair amount of loot after a fair amount of challenge, and survive to have your character see many adventures. In Paranoia, trusting your allies will give you a lifespan of about six minutes... one for each clone. You might make money, so long as you survive, and ensure that you haven't lost any equipment (including bullets, which you are expected to return in perfect condition), and actually completed the mission. In general, the most important rules are: The GM is right. Know nothing. Keep the GM entertained; you'll live longer.

So, who's interested in being tortured being vaporized being executed having fun in service of our Friend, The Computer dancing like puppets for me playing a fun game?
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

GrinningHound

CirclMastr

Ons & offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8373.0
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Insight

Yeah, if someone can teach me, I'd love to play. It just sounds very different than anything else I've ever done before.
"I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"

My Desires: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=159468.0

On and Off Thread

Jeramiahh

As I said before, knowledge of the rules is treasonous, and knowing them is treason. Are you a traitor, citizen?

Seriously, though, the rules are pretty simple; you declare you want to attempt an action, you roll a twenty sided die, add some number on your character sheet, and listen to how your intended action goes horribly, horribly wrong.

For instance, monsters are not listed by any sort of arbitrary 'appropriate challenge level', they are simply listed by how many players they are expected to kill.

For now, I'm gauging interest, but when it comes time, if you know what you're doing, you can roll up a character sheet; if not, I have some premades I can hand out. And not explain.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

CirclMastr

Pah, rules?  That information is wisely above my clearance level.

Far more important is generating names.
Statistics are like a bikini; what they reveal is significant, but what they conceal is even more important.

Jeramiahh

Oh, yes, naming guidelines are VERY important. Though, keep in mind, laughing at a citizen's name is treason.

All names come in three parts; For instance, Johnny-B-GUD. All names take this format... the first part is a customizable name, the second letter denotes your clearance rank; all players will, very, very likely stay at 'R' the entire game. The last three letters are your region code, although this is customizable, as well.

The clearance codes range from InfraRed (black), the common citizens, to Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet, and UltraViolet (white). The higher your clearance, the more you're allowed. To buy, hold, go to, speak to, anything. Never piss off the guys in white; they are The Computer's most trusted allies, and, most likely, the ones plotting its downfall[USER WAS EXTERMINATED FOR THIS COMMENT] helping to run Alpha Complex's various functions and ensuring all citizen's are happy.

JinZah

Yune-R-DED 2 pulls out the experimental Thermoatomic Vortex Pistole issued to him by the good citizens in R&D, points it at the troubleshooter indoctrination officer, and pulls the trigger, reducing him and the podium he stands behind into ash.

"He forgot to mention the commies, and bastards on the list of trouble to be shot! a true supporter of friend computer wouldn't have done that." he says wincing from the 1st degree radiation burns the guns back blast gave him. "Boy i could use a Bouncy Bubbly Beverage right about now."

OOC: count me in

Kip

I would be very interested in this game...

Unless being interested in this game is treasonous...

Then I most certainly would not be interested in this game...  I didn't even know this game existed in that case.

What game are you talking about?  TRAITOR!

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

CirclMastr

Quote from: JinZah on July 22, 2009, 07:21:36 AM
Yune-R-DED 2 pulls out the experimental Thermoatomic Vortex Pistole issued to him by the good citizens in R&D, points it at the troubleshooter indoctrination officer, and pulls the trigger, reducing him and the podium he stands behind into ash.

"He forgot to mention the commies, and bastards on the list of trouble to be shot! a true supporter of friend computer wouldn't have done that." he says wincing from the 1st degree radiation burns the guns back blast gave him. "Boy i could use a Bouncy Bubbly Beverage right about now."

Git-R-DUN suddenly drew his own pistol (whose name was wisely above his clearance level) and fired.  A green blast erupted from the pistol and struck Yune-R-DED 2 in the chest.  As the acidic goo slowly melted his flesh, Git-R-DUN sneered.  "Not only did you execute a superior without proper clearance, you demonstrated knowledge of a list of trouble wisely above my clearance level while confessing you did not get that information from your troubleshooter indoctrination officer!  Doubly traitorous!"  He shot Yune-R-DED 2 a second time (in the head) for good measure, despite the fact that by the end of his speech he had a three-foot-wide hole through his torso.

Jeramiahh

*grins* And I was worried for a minute there wouldn't be more interest. Excellent... looks like I'll actually get around to making this, after all.

So, I'll start off with; if you know the system, roll up a character (we'll be playing Classic mode). I'm going to be a very generous and benevolent game master, and allow you to roll for all things that can be rolled for. Remember, send any sheets by PM, as your fellow Troubleshooters might, in fact, be Communists, mutants and/or traitors, and there is no need for them to have more information then absolutely needed!

(Also, please include Paranoia as the first word of the title, so it may be sorted correctly in my message box.)

And if you lack a book, don't worry; I can both provide the essentially basic rules in a handy PDF format, or simply generate a very random character for you, and let you figure out the rules. It tends to be more fun that way.

JinZah

i have 1 probblem, i know jack about XP edition! the paranoia i enjoyed was 5th edition, and the later 2nd edition supplements that the cocknob writers of XP edition declared non-cannon to the game.

anyway, ranting aside, if i sent you a 5th ed. character sheet could you convert it over? Hell, maybe even make it part of his storyline, he was cryogenically frozen in a freak air conditioning repair accident... 

Jeramiahh

*scratches head* Uhh... maybe? I wouldn't know, I never played earlier editions, and the book just suggests that conversion isn't worth the time and effort, given the lifespan of a Paranoia character.

LadySky

*peeks in and glares at others* I am interested, I am soooo good with paranoia in RL! Never played the game however....

Can you generate me a name and send me a character sheet?

*stands with back to wall, fingers twitching, wanting to kill someone*
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Kip

A generated character will be fine for me too... I couldn't find my rules book, but I'll play anything in this system :D

~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Jeramiahh

I'll get around to rolling those up, when I get some other interest; I'm looking at 4-6 players, total.

JinZah

Kip

Quote from: Jeramiahh on July 25, 2009, 12:31:46 AM
I'll get around to rolling those up, when I get some other interest; I'm looking at 4-6 players, total.

No rush - thanks for taking the time :)

~Jay Brannan~

~Mohinder Suresh~

Jeramiahh

Ok, got one sheet in, 2 requests for pre-gens, and sent off a copy of the player's dumbed-down guide to those who've shown the most interest. If anyone else wants the a copy of it, let me know.

Jeramiahh

Right! So, four character sheets are successfully created and approved, and, unless someone has a last-minute character they'd like to submit, I believe we're ready to begin.

Just want to double check, and make sure all four players are still here and interested, and then we'll get this mess underway.

CirclMastr

JinZah

just tell me when we are starting and i'll stop watching my Teal-O-MLY vidshows and get to shooting trouble, or turning old documents into paper mulch for new documents, depending on what day of the week it is...