Player run episodic group game -thoughts?

Started by Aadreal, June 17, 2013, 02:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aadreal

Allow me to begin with a confession. I hate GMing.  Everything from player conflict to life getting busy to things just going nowhere has ruined each and every attempt at running a game online.  Yet I find myself with the annoying habit of having group game ideas that I want to be a part of.  When I ran games for my old tabletop group I ended up letting them really drive the story, adding bits as needed but the world reacted to their actions.  Sadly none of my online attempts have gotten far enough to have that happen.  That's one of the things I love as a player. Knowing my decision counts. 

To that end, there's an idea I've been toying with for some time and would like input on.  First of all I like the idea of an episodic game.  Each "adventure" being self contained but part of a larger story arc.  I've played in one game that attempted it but the GM vanished before we finished the first episode.  Since there's firm cut off points, why not have the players be a bit more invested?  My idea is that each player has the chance to run an episode.   They come up with the scenario, run it if they are comfortable doing so.  Obviously the GM will help any way possible and if the player is not comfortable running, would run it.  Does this sound feasible? Any thoughts? Sorry if it's a bit rambling, I'm on my phone.

Cyrano Johnson

My $.02: I think getting players involved in writing scenes makes sense (that's actually my plan for an upcoming group game, which I do plan to make episodic and to structure after an action television show). Anything above that I'd be dubious about: the role of the GM came about because trying to spread around responsibility for the game -- how the world works, where the story is going, how to implement the rules -- to more than one or two people is generally not practical.  GM'ing does take a lot of time and energy and it's not for everyone, but I think the idea that the work can be offloaded on the players, no matter how much goodwill they have or how talented they might be, is fallacious. Without someone who's agreed upon as the game's authority, groups larger than two people will naturally tend to pull apart because there's no means of resolving disputes when they come up.

This is unless you're effectively playing a card or board game with roleplaying "fluff" added, in which case the GM-less game could work.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Aadreal

I do apologize for not properly explaining my thoughts.  The idea I had in mind for this would be mission based with an overarching story.  The GM would handle the overarching story and npc's/combat (unless the player wishes to give it a try).  The players would be given the opportunity to create a mission for the group for an episode.  Obviously the players would not be responsible for developing the entire story or even any story if they wish.  Could be something as simple as "it would be cool if they did..."

Cyrano Johnson

Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences