Beyond Hogwarts, Potter-verse (BON-H; Freeform)

Started by Vandren, June 15, 2009, 09:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Quote from: GrinningHound on July 16, 2009, 09:07:04 AMIt's a University, there's room for more specialized courses, Defense Against the Dark Arts is quite broad.

Could be possible.

QuoteMy guy is probably working on his thesis or some other big project for his degree, and he's going to do that by developing this course.

Well, like all Potter-verse schools, this one doesn't offer any degrees.  :)  Even if the other did/do, since it's not Ministry approved, Nacodsaed wouldn't. 

QuoteIt's fine with me for him to be working under GF's character.  I want to lead students on lots of dangerous field trips.  :P

Field trips could be a bit of a problem . . . that whole hidden island, hidden school, concealed from Muggles and Ministry of Magic alike thing . . .
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

GothicFires

of course there is the issue of Vivianne's back ground as a 'body guard' and eventually living what you have your character wanting to teach. She also has a extreme sport personality, so the more danger her life has been in... the happier she is. I'm not stingy with the subject. perhaps we can work something out.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Hayato

might i ask if it's still open to join? i've always toyed with this idea of an American wizard coming across the pond (we can't assume only Europe has witches and wizards, can we?). Please let me know if I can join, thanks.

GothicFires

there are at least two american characters already.  :-) create your character and send it in to Van. we'd be happy to have you  :-)
looking for new games

GrinningHound

I'm thinking my character served actively in the military after graduating Hogwarts (fighting evil terrorist wizards, of course), so he has a fair amount of experience, not to mention he's just naturally 'good' at it and has worked long and hard honing those skills.  This would make him about 26 right now.

As for field trips, can't wizards Teleport or use other means of magical travel?

Vandren

Quote from: hayato on July 17, 2009, 01:26:04 AMmight i ask if it's still open to join? i've always toyed with this idea of an American wizard coming across the pond (we can't assume only Europe has witches and wizards, can we?). Please let me know if I can join, thanks.

That's possible, although I'd like to minimize the number of non-European students.  We do know that there are canonically wizards around the world (see Goblet), but even so, the schools tend to be rather secretive.

Quote from: GrinningHound on July 17, 2009, 08:43:32 AMI'm thinking my character served actively in the military after graduating Hogwarts (fighting evil terrorist wizards, of course), so he has a fair amount of experience, not to mention he's just naturally 'good' at it and has worked long and hard honing those skills.  This would make him about 26 right now.

See PM.  A couple additional things, since this has more info: 1) What military?  There are no militaries in the wizarding world.  2) At 26, he couldn't be a student.  He'd have to be a full blown instructor/teacher.

A note on the canonical stuff . . . GF's ex-bodyguard, I can see from extrapolation even if there are none shown in the series because 1) the Ministry provides guards to top members of the government and 2) I could easily see say a member of the Weird Sisters or Gwenog Jones, for example, hiring some protection from time to time.  Organized military forces on the other hand are completely out of whack with the setting, the closest we get are an hoc groups put together on the spur of the moment for specific threats (ex. Order of the Phoenix, Dumbledore's Army) that are unofficial and disband after the threat's gone.

QuoteAs for field trips, can't wizards Teleport or use other means of magical travel?

Yes, apparition/disapparition is around, as are broomsticks.  However, as noted, apparition doesn't work on or to the island (as per Hogwarts and other major sites like Gringotts/Diagon Alley).  The school's not on the Floo Network, because the Ministry monitors it (Phoenix, Half-Blood, Hallows).  Portkeys aren't an option because the Ministry traces and monitors them (see Goblet).  And even brooms can be followed.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

GothicFires

kind if a explanation of 'body guard', while that could include protection of certain officials/famous wizards it can also include accompanying wizards on expeditions that might require aggressive defensive and offensive spells that they might not be good at. I guess you can think of her as an auroror (sp) without her actively pursuing that field. She doesn't actively chase down people who breaks magical law unless requested but if a wizard was to go rouge and threaten another, she could set up the threatened wizard's defense.

i've only read the books once. while i love the concept I find for the most part they are a boring read so i am at times going to screw up on the terminology or confuse/mix actual magical mythology (that i have studied) with potterverse magical mythology. I ask a bit of forgiveness during those times.
looking for new games

Vandren

Saku

I might wait a bit on this game I'll join later on I think but I need to think about what sort of character to come up with lol
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

GothicFires

bump time. still going. still accepting new players
looking for new games

Vandren

Thanks, I was going to do that this weekend.

We can especially use teachers and upperclass(wo-)men.

GothicFires

Quote from: Vandren on August 01, 2009, 05:44:03 PM
Thanks, I was going to do that this weekend.

We can especially use teachers and upperclass(wo-)men.

this is still true. We are on the first morning having breakfast and getting ready for the first class. Anyone can jump in at anytime just send Vandren a character sheet and he'll get back to you.

we can all be magically delicious (in more ways than one)
looking for new games

GothicFires

we're about to start the first class period. Everyone still welcome
looking for new games

Korbl

I'd love to join. I've got an idea for a student, and possibly a teacher. I'll send them off for approval when I'm not about to head off to actual classes...
Ons/Offs

My A&As

Find out where I've journeyed
on the Map of Human Sexuality!

Vandren

Sounds good, we'd love to have some new blood injected into the mix.  :)

GothicFires

we're over half way to having our own board. We are having fun and still accepting players. Students and teachers welcome.
looking for new games

Vandren

We've had some people leave, so there are numerous positions for teacher and student characters.  Everything except Ancient Runes is open for teachers, and we're heavy on the lower end of students (1st year).