[The Legend of Korra] New Republic City [Recruiting!]

Started by Karma, December 22, 2014, 11:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Whoops, sorry Wolfy, your post was on the next page. You're very welcome to join!

Raveled

Hm, very tempted here. Are you only looking for female characters here? I have an idea for a former pro-bender, but the problem is that I have no tiiiiiime for another game!

Damn you and your tempting premises, Karma!
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

>D Fall victim to my wiles! No, all characters are welcome, we just had a shortage of females for the straight males and lesbians in the roster already, so I was aiming to balance it out a bit. That's what the Avatar is for, after all!

Raveled

Quote from: Karma on December 28, 2014, 09:42:34 PM
>D Fall victim to my wiles! No, all characters are welcome, we just had a shortage of females for the straight males and lesbians in the roster already, so I was aiming to balance it out a bit. That's what the Avatar is for, after all!

Okay, let me ask one more question before I devote hours and hours to this. Have we ever seen one-armed 'benders before?
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

I'm not sure if there's been a specifically one-armed bender, but let me introduce you to a major character from later in Korra... who has no arms.

Juggtacular

Sparky Sparky Boom Man(AKA Combustion Man) was missing an arm and a leg, but he had metal prosthetics.

Ooh, that's right. I didn't think of him because his bending was... well... so unorthodox.

Raveled

Quote from: Karma on December 28, 2014, 10:07:44 PM
I'm not sure if there's been a specifically one-armed bender, but let me introduce you to a major character from later in Korra... who has no arms.

*Researches Ming-Hua. Which leads to Combustion Man. Which leads to prosthesis*

So they have advanced prosthesis in Avatar-land. So a one-armed bender, particularly an earth-bender, wouldn't be slowed down too much. Well there goes that concept.

For the record
A pro-bender is injured during the attack on Republic City and loses her arm. As a consequence she is much reduced from her former station and potentially even a little desperate.
O|O A|A Ideas

Juggtacular

Quote from: Karma on December 28, 2014, 10:15:24 PM
Ooh, that's right. I didn't think of him because his bending was... well... so unorthodox.

Zaheer's girlfriend P'li could Combustion Bend as well. Got her head asploded.  :P

Angie

Quote from: Raveled on December 28, 2014, 10:18:47 PM
*Researches Ming-Hua. Which leads to Combustion Man. Which leads to prosthesis*

So they have advanced prosthesis in Avatar-land. So a one-armed bender, particularly an earth-bender, wouldn't be slowed down too much. Well there goes that concept.

For the record
A pro-bender is injured during the attack on Republic City and loses her arm. As a consequence she is much reduced from her former station and potentially even a little desperate.

Could be she couldn't afford the prosthetic?
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Raveled

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 28, 2014, 10:28:49 PM
Could be she couldn't afford the prosthetic?

Hrm. I was going to go with the idea that she got along on celebrity endorsements for awhile, but that they're dried up by the time the game starts (who cares what a player ten years out of the league thinks, after all?). I could go further with that, though, and say she was jut a normal, hard-working Earthbender who got hurt.

I'll have to think on that idea.
O|O A|A Ideas

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Raveled

Quote from: la dame en noir on December 28, 2014, 10:55:25 PM
I'm trying to find good pictures.

Yeah, it's startlingly hard to find a picture of a muscular, one-armed woman.
O|O A|A Ideas

I usually go to Danbooru first (won't link since this is a public section) due to the tagging system, and branch out to DA and other places later.

Cuchulainn

Speaking of being one armed, how much movement does one need to bend?

The martial arts aspect of bending is primarily for mental reinforcement, like the spells in Harry Potter, plus giving you extra self-defense. If you associate a bending action with a physical motion, it becomes easier to perform. However, if you've trained without movements, you can still bend. It's not something you can simply do without practice, however.

Angie

Quote from: Karma on December 28, 2014, 11:00:28 PM
The martial arts aspect of bending is primarily for mental reinforcement, like the spells in Harry Potterevery Fantasy world ever, plus giving you extra self-defense. If you associate a bending action with a physical motion, it becomes easier to perform. However, if you've trained without movements, you can still bend. It's not something you can simply do without practice, however.

I have to be a jerk and do that. Somatic (Motion) components are, like, everywhere in Fantasy. Even in Sci-Fi, even...
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

la dame en noir

Finding a dark skinned woman that fits the Avatar world...in Anime form? hard to find.
A&A | FxF |

Quote from: Angiejuusan on December 28, 2014, 11:02:40 PM
I have to be a jerk and do that. Somatic (Motion) components are, like, everywhere in Fantasy. Even in Sci-Fi, even...

Yes, and providing concrete examples is far more conversationally functional, dear. :P

Cuchulainn

Quote from: la dame en noir on December 28, 2014, 11:02:48 PM
Finding a dark skinned woman that fits the Avatar world...in Anime form? hard to find.

Why does it gotta be in anime form?

la dame en noir

Everyone else is using anime drawn characters. I don't want to be out of place.
A&A | FxF |